All things Bourbon

288,090 Views | 2198 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by ncsupack1
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Buffalo Trace is a good bourbon. I would say good everyday bourbon if it were more readily available. It's not particularly special in any way, just a good quintessential bourbon. The scarcity of it is very frustrating, as it is their flagship product, the equivalent of Elijah Craig small batch, or Jim beam white. It should always be available at a good price. It is definitely not worth more than retail, and definitely not good enough to wait in line for, and it's very unfortunate that it has been caught up in the hype enough for those things to occur.
Mormad
It's everything i love about bourbon, especially at that price. The scarcity makes it even more fun. Tho i get it off flaviar so it's really easy if i want it to be

When i go off call at 3, I plan to sip on some during the girls game and then sip some eagle rare during the SB. Sounds really nice.
Sierrawolf
It's crazy how it's easier to find Eagle Rare than Buffalo Trace. In my opinion, Eagle Rare is the best "everyday" priced bourbon and I normally keep a couple backup bottles at the house.
Mormad
Pregame flight: right to left, Blanton's, eagle rare, pogue masters select, weller 12
wilmwolf
IMO if Buffalo Trace was named anything else, it wouldn't fly off the shelves like it does. People know the name of the distillery because of the association with Pappy, Blanton's, etc. Even people that don't drink bourbon know Buffalo Trace. There's also the fact that for a period of time when it was relatively available, ABC clerks would direct people to it who came in looking for the other stuff that they couldn't find. I've heard more than one clerk tell someone "oh, it's the same thing as Blanton's". I haven't heard that as much with Eagle Rare, though some stores have started putting signs in front of it that say "Made By Buffalo Trace" or similar. Some of it also comes down to the weird regional history that determines allocation in some way. Just like NC gets a lot of ER, other states get a lot of Weller or whatever. I do agree, ER is a superior product, but let's keep that quiet lol.
Sierrawolf
Yeah it just blows my mind how is more widely available in NC when it's basically a stepped up BT for only $8 more a bottle.
wilmwolf
Met a guy today that has one of the most expensive collections I've seen, top three that I've seen in person probably. He had multiples of the Pappy expressions, John Fitzgerald 20 year, EC 18-23-25, OFC, and on and on. It really was a collection too, because he doesn't have any of them open or plan to. For me, I know a couple of guys like that, and it's cool to see the bottles and all, but I find it personally frustrating that you would buy possibly tens of thousands of dollars worth of liquor with no intention of drinking it. Particularly when you have multiples of stuff like this guy did. Not to mention, he said he was hoarding Blanton's to the tune of two dozen bottles. Now, I've hoarded things in the past, I do confess, but I turned over a new leaf on that four or five years ago when I realized that I had more bourbon than I could drink, and me snatching up bottles was stopping someone else from getting to try it. The one thing I've learned about bourbon in all my years of drinking it is that they always make more. No matter how rare you think it is, they are going to keep coming out with something just as good and just as rare the next year. There's nothing that I would buy for any price that I wouldn't open and drink. I like drinking bourbon, not looking at it. I also am not going to buy something just because it's rare if I know it's probably not something I want to drink. So one day, you might find something rare on the shelf, and I might've already been there and seen it and left it there for you. You're welcome.
Bell Tower Grey
wilm, if you see this guy again, please ask him (if you haven't already) what does he expect to happen to his collection after he dies? Auctioned off like car collections? Just given to individuals that ask for a particular bottle? What?

Like yourself, I buy it to drink. I don't have a collection and am too old now to start one. However, if I did, I see myself as acquiring one or two bottles of a particular item just to enjoy myself and with my friends. The hoarding thing makes no sense to me, but, to each his/her own.
Gopack80
Love some BH.
wilmwolf
If I do I will. The silly thing is that there are really very few actual rare bottles in most collections that will appreciate significantly in any reasonable amount of time. Sure, if you keep it for 40 years it may be worth a fortune, but despite the scarcity, they make a pretty good amount of Pappy and things like that every year. While it's definitely worth more than retail immediately after you buy it, the market value remains fairly consistent year to year. I just don't really see whiskey as a great investment. I used to be one that would hold on to stuff for a "special occasion", but I started thinking, my dad passed away pretty young, you never know when it's your time, I'm going to open these things and try them while I can. I like to share with friends whenever possible, but I don't believe in waiting for special occasions any more.
st8ofdenial
wilmwolf80 said:

If I do I will. The silly thing is that there are really very few actual rare bottles in most collections that will appreciate significantly in any reasonable amount of time. Sure, if you keep it for 40 years it may be worth a fortune, but despite the scarcity, they make a pretty good amount of Pappy and things like that every year. While it's definitely worth more than retail immediately after you buy it, the market value remains fairly consistent year to year. I just don't really see whiskey as a great investment. I used to be one that would hold on to stuff for a "special occasion", but I started thinking, my dad passed away pretty young, you never know when it's your time, I'm going to open these things and try them while I can. I like to share with friends whenever possible, but I don't believe in waiting for special occasions any more.
Exactly. I pulled the trigger on the Pappy 12. I plan on opening it soon and letting multiple buddy's have a taste. What fun is it to not share your scores?!?!? Also, I would hope they will share their finds too when they have the chance.
wilmwolf
That's the best part, when you share, people share back. The rarest, most expensive stuff I've ever had has been the result of friends sharing with me. Instead of waiting for a special occasion, make the occasion special!
Civilized
wilmwolf80 said:

That's the best part, when you share, people share back. The rarest, most expensive stuff I've ever had has been the result of friends sharing with me. Instead of waiting for a special occasion, make the occasion special!

Words to live by!
wilmwolf
Saying goodbye to a very good Kentucky Spirit bottle tonight. This has been an exceptional one.
Civilized
wilmwolf80 said:

Saying goodbye to a very good Kentucky Spirit bottle tonight. This has been an exceptional one.

Just made it up to the mountains with the family after white-knuckling it for four hours on the dark interstate in the 33 degree rain and fog so thick coming up the mountain it was like driving with a bed sheet on the windshield.

Poured three fingers of Evan's finest to celebrate. It is not Kentucky Spirit but in these circumstances is no less enjoyable.
wilmwolf
Nice! Enjoy the mountains brother!
packgrad
Nice. Jealous. We've been trying to make it up there several of the last weekends, but work keeps winning. Enjoy!! And cheers!
Civilized
Thanks fellas. Weather's crap up here this weekend just like Raleigh but we're enjoying staring at the hills in crappy weather than staring at our four walls at home.

Happy weekend! Cheers!
WolfpackCPA
Going up tomorrow planning on checking out Tennessee one day to see if I can find some different bottles.

Would like to find a bunch of EH Taylor if possible.
Mormad
Templeton rye 6 makes a great old fashioned
wilmwolf
Just wanted to say it's pretty cool that this is the 1000th post in this thread. Thanks to everyone who participates, I really enjoy it.
Civilized
wilmwolf80 said:

Just wanted to say it's pretty cool that this is the 1000th post in this thread. Thanks to everyone who participates, I really enjoy it.

Me too. Learned a bunch too.

Thanks for ringleading it bro!
AlleyPack
https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10159061854619525&id=67585654524&d=m

Talk about a raffle prize...

(Hopefully the link works.)
wilmwolf
I've bought tickets for that one several times with no luck, but I'm an extremely unlucky person with things like that. One of the charity golf tournaments I typically play in does a raffle, twenty tickets for twenty bucks kind of thing, and I've bought tickets for going on 14 years and have never even won a bag of tees, and that's only ~80 people. Good luck to anyone who tries this time, I hope you win it!
Packhawk
Thats a nice selection to win, especially if you can do if for $100. Probably a years worth to me.
barnburner
Have been drinking as an everyday, E Craig over last couple of years and headed to the ABC. Since Bulliet is on sale, thought I would try that. I should rotate these two more often. Have a good weekend.
wilmwolf
Bulleit is a favorite of my brother. It's not one I typically have on hand, but I enjoy it. I'm having some Evan Williams Single Barrel tonight.
packgrad
Picked up the OF 1910, 1920, and 1870 this week. Considering putting the heater on the porch, grabbing a fat stogie, pouring a couple of fingers of one of them, and sitting out in this cold weather after a long week. If not, one will be tasted tomorrow night for sure.
wilmwolf
All good choices, big fan of the distilley row series. If it doesn't rain I might get a fire going tomorrow night myself.
SexualChocolate
This might have already been mentioned but you should watch "Neat" on Hulu. Great documentary.

Drinking some JTS Brown tonight. I'm about ready for a new bottle.
SexualChocolate
The new Maker's Mark 2021 Limited Release FAE-01 is being released soon in NC. I know Eastern NC has already started to see bottles. Happy Hunting!
wilmwolf
Hopefully it's as plentiful as last falls release. Found a bunch of those.
Bell Tower Grey
SexualChocolate said:

The new Maker's Mark 2021 Limited Release FAE-01 is being released soon in NC. I know Eastern NC has already started to see bottles. Happy Hunting!
I talked to a guy that works at one of the Wilson stores. He said he hopes they have it in stock in the next three weeks.
AlleyPack
Went to the store today to pick up a bottle for mixers. Both Ancient Ancient Age and Virgin were sold out, but picked up some regular Henry McKenna at a similar price, which is a decent consolation.

I know there's often requests for good mixers, so take it for what it's worth.
Sierrawolf
Got the Crude Bitters sampler pack yesterday. The Big Bear bitters makes a great Old Fashioned!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.