All things Bourbon

284,729 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had Rabbit Hole Heigold for the first time last night. Not bad for a young bourbon. I think it's overpriced for what it is, but I think that for pretty much everything. Based on my tasting last night I'll probably pick up a bottle eventually.
Mormad
My buddy in the practice that picked up this nasty bourbon sport with me tried heigold this week. He liked it in an OF. I do think RH is pricey
wilmwolf
With young startups, new brands, I try to look at it like you are investing in what the bourbon will eventually become. In those scenarios the cost of the bottle pretty much always exceeds what's inside it, so it's hard to justify paying craft prices unless you look at it that way, particularly when Wild Turkey 101 is looking at me from the shelf at $26. Lol.
Mormad
Yep, and BT at $23. Totally agree. I could have nothing more than those 2 for sipping and maybe some EC for OFs, and be happy. But here i am still hunting things to buy and try.

So, I'm gonna go stand in line for hours this afternoon for 2 bottles of the first BIB bourbon from NC. Fishers BIB from Greensboro distillery.
wilmwolf
Interesting, hadn't heard about that release. Let us know how it is. I like hearing about local distilleries making whiskey, even though I haven't had one yet that was particularly good, I would like it if NC could get in the bourbon game. I think our climate is suitable for it given our pretty big temperature swings. I will say that myself and some friends have kicked around the idea of starting a distillery, and there are a particularly large number of hoops to jump through in NC, so kudos to anyone doing it.
WolfpackCPA
Opened blantons gold tonight and it didn't disappoint.

Also tried the EC toasted barrel and I am a huge fan. Kind of a s'more marshmallow flavor and would buy more bottles if I find it.
brickturner
Got a Larceny barrel proof yesterday.
AlleyPack
I found some Woodinville at my local store today, so will be giving it a try this weekend.

wilmwolf
Good finds guys. Let us know what you think.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
brickturner
Larceny barrel proof is probably the smoothest high alcohol I have ever tried. Hardly taste or feel the heat.
The Woodinville I have tried seemed young and needed more time in barrel.
Mormad
Gonna try some new riff BIB tonight.
Mormad
Fishers BIB is the first BIB in NC. Sampled it tonight. Was pretty nice. Lower rye than the new riff, a little oakier. 100 proof.
wilmwolf
I'm bummed I missed out on that release, but they say they'll have more early next year, so I look forward to trying some.
wilmwolf
Tonight is a bottle kill night. AKA I'm drinking way more than normal to get rid of some of these partial bottles I've got. I already know some people are gifting me bourbon for Christmas, so I need to make room.
WolfpackCPA
What bottles you killing?
wilmwolf
An Elijah Craig barrel pick, a Kentucky Spirit, and an American Prairie so far.
Sierrawolf
I did a clean out night the other night as well. Ended up consolidating a few of mine into my first infinity bottle.
So far:
1oz Woodford Double Oaked
1oz Four Roses Small Batch Select
3oz HM10

No real method to the madness. I figured I'd just throw in stuff that I like. We'll see how it goes.
AlleyPack
Tried the Woodinville last night and enjoyed it.
Not a "top pick," I don't think, but definitely no regrets in the purchase.
wilmwolf
Infinity bottles are good fun. I know some people that are very strict with them as far as what and how much they put in, but I just pour stuff in whenever I think about it. Somehow it always ends up pretty decent.

For a craft bourbon, I think Woodinville is pretty good, and I don't say that about most craft bourbon. I didn't like their wine barrel finish, but their core product shows a lot of promise. My hope is that brands like them and New Riff continue to set aside barrels so they can get some products out eventually with more age on them and not just settle for putting out four year old bourbon. To get past the raw corn and grass notes that dominate a lot of craft whiskey, I really think you need to get up around 6-7 years. High rye stuff can get away with going younger because the rye spice hides some youth.

I guess in general I'd like to get back to a time when all the bourbon on the shelves is well aged and not rushed out to meet demand. With so many newcomers to bourbon, their palates are being trained on stuff that isn't as good as it used to be. Elijah Craig small batch was age stated 12 years. You could get ten year Ancient Age on the bottom shelf. The Blanton's that people stand in line for now would never have made it out of the warehouse when Elmer T. Lee was alive because it's not good enough to be in that bottle. Sigh. The good ole days. Rant over!
AlleyPack
So I'm assuming bourbon only "ages" when it's still in the barrel?
By that I mean... you can't buy a bottle of Blantons now... let it sit in your liquor cabinet for five years, and then it will taste "older"?

(I'm guessing the answer is an obvious "no," but figured I'd ask just the same.)

wilmwolf
Once it leaves the barrel that's it, other than oxidation once the bottle is opened, which can change the flavor, but it's not aging. Once the spirit stops interacting with the wood, it is no longer aging. Fermented things like wine and some types of beer can continue to change due to the yeast, but that doesn't happen with distilled spirits. I've got some bottles that were bottled 20-30 years ago, and they taste the same as they did when they were released, other than whatever effect oxidation has had since I've opened them. Your question is a very common one though.
st8ofdenial
Just scored some Early Times BIB and Rowan creek in Rock Hill, SC. Giving the Rowan's Creek to my brother-in-law for Christmas.

Going to crack the Early times tonight.
AlleyPack
I picked up some Rowan's Creek in SC a few years ago.
I enjoy it. (still have a third or so of the bottle left... I'm nursing it, since it's so hard to find)
brickturner
Just got 2 Stagg jr. thanks to a heads-up from a fellow poster.
AlleyPack
As I've stated before, Virgin has become my go-to bourbon for mixing.
However, I'm just about out... and the last couple of times I've gone to my local store they've been sold out. (I think it might be on sale this month.)

I'm thinking about picking up some Ancient Age -- any opinions on how it compares to Virgin, taste/quality wise? They seem to be similarly priced.

Thanks
barnburner
Happened to be down in ILM last weekend and stopped by the Porters Neck store...they have a better selection than Cameron Village.. I did pick up a Knob Creek Single Barrel Select. Evidently the store picks the barrel that the bottles will come from so each county may have something unique. Will open soon and compare to the Makers I got selected by the Raleigh staff as well. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays all!!
wilmwolf
I'm a fan of Ancient Age, and AAA when I can find it. It's the same distillate that goes on to be Blanton's, Elmer T. Lee and other mash bill #2 bourbon from Buffalo Trace. To me Buffalo Trace products all carry similar notes, kind of a funky sourdough bread thing, and Virgin has a nutty kind of flavor that I associate with Heaven Hill, so I would say they are fairly different, but I've never had them head to head.
Mormad
Looked at the flavor spiral of the ET Lee last night and it looks like a bourbon I'd really like. Got 3 bottles of buffalo trace last night though, and for 23 bucks and a similar flavor spiral it's hard to justify the cost of the Lee.

Tried the Old Elk wheated last night. Really enjoyed it. Smooth and warm. Compared it to the Weller 12, and while not quite having the depth of taste, it held its own for that price.
AlleyPack
A Christmas surprise:

I went to my local store this morning to pick up some Ancient Age (AAA) for mixing.
I turned my gaze upward, and what would I see?.... Six bottles of Eagle Rare, staring down at me!

I scooped up three of them and sent my buddy a text.
He arrived about 20 minutes later -- he told me later that two bottles remained, and as he grabbed one, he said another guy got the final treasure.

I will likely gift one of my bottles this weekend, and the other two will be much enjoyed over the next couple of months.

wilmwolf
The Old Elk is a really good wheater. Metze, the guy behind that ran MGP for a long time. He still sources from them, but it tastes different that other MGP sourced wheaters I've tried. Most of the new wheaters I try leave me disappointed, but I really liked that one, particularly for it being fairly young.
packgrad
My BIL bought me a bottle of High West based off a recommendation from his bourbon guy. We poured a glass last night for us and my other BIL and were all pleased. Modest priced rye that was quite nice.
Sierrawolf
Wilm...have you tried any of the product from Twelve33?

We went last night and I didn't think the bourbon was awful. Most of the local "bourbons" that I've tried are pretty bad but I didn't hate theirs. Aged 2 years so it still had some astringency but the flavor was decent. I'd be interested to try it after they have more time in the barrel.
wilmwolf
I haven't. I see it all the time when I browse the local stuff, I'm just really gun-shy on most craft whiskey in general.
AlleyPack
My folks gave me a bottle of Angel's Envy for Christmas -- very nice!
Anyone else get anything of note as a gift?
wilmwolf
Got whiskey stones for the third or fourth time. I do appreciate the thought behind them though. Most people are leery of buying me bourbon because they either don't want to get something I already have or something I don't like. I try to subtly put it out there that there's nothing wrong with another bottle of Wild Turkey 101, but most don't get the hint.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.