All things Bourbon

284,528 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
st8ofdenial
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very jealous!
Was able to get a bottle of Penelope 4 grain private select. Very Tasty!
barnburner
It's so bad I was excited to get a bottle of Eagle Rare yesterday.. have a great Thanksgiving everyone!!
Bell Tower Grey
Picked up three fifths of Makers 46 while ago. There were 3 more on the shelf. Traditional Makers looked to be plentiful for now. Actually, the entire bourbon stock selection was as full as I've seen it in the last few months.
wilmwolf
Had about half a bottle of Four Roses small batch select during the UNC game. I normally don't really care for four roses, but I like this one ok.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
WolfpackCPA
I took down a bottle of EH Taylor Small Batch for the holiday. Always enjoy cracking a good bottle with the family.

Wilmwolf - do you have an insight to watch is going on at the New Hanover ABC stores? I mean it's basically December and we have gotten one email about Buffalo Trace. I know all the other counties have been getting a ton of allocated bourbons. Is it all still going out the back door to friends and family?
wilmwolf
WolfpackCPA said:

I Is it all still going out the back door to friends and family?

I would say that's probably a good guess. I honestly rarely go into NHC stores anymore just because it's so fruitless these days. Too many people hunting, too little bourbon, and too many good old boys. I will say that in past years, the state has seemingly alternated which parts of the state they roll stuff out in first, some years east to west, others opposite. I haven't really been paying attention much this year to see who has gotten what though.
WolfpackCPA
wilmwolf80 said:

WolfpackCPA said:

I Is it all still going out the back door to friends and family?

I would say that's probably a good guess. I honestly rarely go into NHC stores anymore just because it's so fruitless these days. Too many people hunting, too little bourbon, and too many good old boys. I will say that in past years, the state has seemingly alternated which parts of the state they roll stuff out in first, some years east to west, others opposite. I haven't really been paying attention much this year to see who has gotten what though.

Thanks and agree it's very odd in NC. Some small towns are getting some of the best bourbon hauls this year. I don't ask for much but it's nice to find something cool once a month.
barnburner
rolled up to the likker store at 11:10am today. Every space in the lot was taken except for 1. I park. Go in and all registers are 6-7 deep. Amazingly they had one bottle of Booker's left and I got it. They would not sell me a Bookers AND a ECBP.. I would have to go back out and come back in.... I knew that would be gone by the time I got back up to the counter. Also had some Buffalo and Eagle Rare. but I was flush there. Crazy times these days.
statefan91
Anyone know anything about Bourbon at Costco? They had some like Four Roses that I was wondering if it's worth trying?
wilmwolf
Depending on which state you are in, they have some good deals at costco. Four Roses has a bunch of different expressions, but i generally like their stuff. Costco also has a house brand that is made by Barton.
statefan91
wilmwolf80 said:

Depending on which state you are in, they have some good deals at costco. Four Roses has a bunch of different expressions, but i generally like their stuff. Costco also has a house brand that is made by Barton.

Im down in Florida so that's why I'm looking, they didn't have the Kirkland brand so will try a different store to try to find it
CJwolf
Love this thread and always check it to see what's happening in bourbon world.
I picked up H. McKenna 10 year, Woodford Capital City B, and a Old Elk Wheated Barrel pick. Anybody had any of these?
RvaWolf
Really like the McKenna 10. All the Elk I have tried has been very solid, especially the Wheat.
wilmwolf
CJwolf said:

Love this thread and always check it to see what's happening in bourbon world.
I picked up H. McKenna 10 year, Woodford Capital City B, and a Old Elk Wheated Barrel pick. Anybody had any of these?

McKenna 10 is thankfully showing up on shelves more after being scarce for a few years. It is a very solid bourbon, though I liked it a lot more when it was $35. It's a single barrel, so there's always variance, and I've gotten some that weren't great, but that's the fun with single barrels. Old Elk Wheated is a sleeper that more people are finding out about. The wheated category has expanded some recently, but it's still not as common as other styles. The old Elk is a great alternative to Maker's, Larceny, and yes even Weller. I've had a couple of private picks of this that would win in a blind flight every time.
statefan91
Ended up getting this at Costco - hope it turns out good! https://www.costco.com.au/Wine-Spirits/Spirits/Whisky/Basil-Haydens-Kentucky-Straight-Bourbon-750ml/p/111380

wilmwolf
Basil Hayden is good. It is low proof for a bourbon, so most hardcore bourbonites turn their nose down on it, but it has a good flavor, and is easy to drink due to the low proof. It is one I typically recommend to people starting out in bourbon as a good gateway.
barnburner
Yep, I serve it to people that want to 'try' a bourbon. It is very drinkable.
statefan91
Good to hear, I'm still relatively new to Bourbon so will drink it and be happy
TheStorm
Picked up an Old Forester 1897 Bottled In Bond 100 Proof today in northern New Hanover county… I don't know jack about this stuff, so I have no idea if it was a good find, or not…
curmudgeon.zen
TheStorm said:

Picked up an Old Forester 1897 Bottled In Bond 100 Proof today in northern New Hanover county… I don't know jack about this stuff, so I have no idea if it was a good find, or not…
That's a common bottle that can usually be found in any store...so nothing rare or anything. With that said, it is IMO an excellent pour. It's a staple in this house. The OF 1920 Prohibition Style is also very good and well-regarded, though I've found I prefer the 1897. Enjoy!!
Log off. Go outside.
mdreid
any scotch drinkers? been wanting to pick up a bottle but dont know what to grab. 30-50 bucks is the budget
vanuel
TheStorm said:

It's a good bottle. I think that you will be pleased. OF 1897 used to be a staple in my house.
vanuel
mdreid said:

any scotch drinkers? been wanting to pick up a bottle but dont know what to grab. 30-50 bucks is the budget
I drink some scotch, mainly single malts. They're expensive, though. The P.R. used to do some scotch specials during the week where you could try some different pours relatively cheaply, which is a good place to start. Scotch is all over the map in terms of flavor profiles so it's good not to have to plunge into a whole bottle of something and find out that you don't like it. Dewars was a blended scotch that I used to keep at home and I think that it's a good starter scotch to try.
Wolfer79
Now THIS is my kind of Zoom call. #BourbonTasting https://t.co/JdxEYue8lO
RvaWolf
Basil Hayden was my gateway into bourbon along with Maker's Mark. very easy to drink while still adjusting to the "burn" Got a bottle of the Toasted Basil Hayden a couple of weeks ago and although I had heard some negative buzz about it, thought it was a really good low proof pour.
wilmwolf
Proof gets overblown IMO. Good whiskey is good whiskey, it doesn't have to be jet fuel proof to be good. I think Basil Hayden specifically gets the ire of some bourbon drinkers because it's low proof, but also priced above the typical lower proof offerings. Folks don't want to pay more for something that's already been watered down, and I get that.
Bell Tower Grey
Was gifted a fifth of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style. 115 proof. A little hot, but after the first sip or two it's not bad. Would probably buy myself.
wilmwolf
Get you a bottle of the OF 1910 and mix the two 50/50 to make some 1915. The lower proof of the 1910 will cut some of the heat, and the 1920 will mellow out the heavy oak notes of the double barreled 1910.
RvaWolf
Agreed, Taste and mouth feel over proof.
wolfpackfan04
What are everyone's thoughts on Booker's? I went to the store today and they had one bottle left, so I bought it.
wilmwolf
If you like the Beam flavor profile, and you like high proof bourbon, then it's hard to beat. It has gone up in price and down in age sightly over the last few years, but it's still a favorite in the bourbon community. I generally keep a bottle of it around.
mdreid
vanuel said:

mdreid said:

I drink some scotch, mainly single malts. They're expensive, though. The P.R. used to do some scotch specials during the week where you could try some different pours relatively cheaply, which is a good place to start. Scotch is all over the map in terms of flavor profiles so it's good not to have to plunge into a whole bottle of something and find out that you don't like it. Dewars was a blended scotch that I used to keep at home and I think that it's a good starter scotch to try.
went with the Glenfiddich 12, they had a a bunch of the 375ml bottles for 26 bucks so thats what i grabbed, thats the perfect price for experimenting plus you dont have to commit to a whole fifth, they had a Glenlivet 12 in the 375ml bottle also, ill prob try that next

st8ofdenial
Whiteville ABC had Elijah Craig toasted barrel, which I picked up, Elijah Craig Barrel proof, couple smoked wagons, buffalo trace an eagle rare.
barnburner
wolfpackfan04 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on Booker's? I went to the store today and they had one bottle left, so I bought it.
My overall favorite of what you can find in the NC ABC stores. Locally it has not been on the shelf for over a year and I just got one myself. The price has edged up but so has everything else too.
Have a Christmas pour!
AlleyPack
I'm having a nice pour of Bakers on this cold and rainy evening.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.