All things Bourbon

280,419 Views | 2178 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by Captain Chaos
barnburner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for the heads up
mdreid
Alamance County got notice it wont be receiving its quarterly supply of Buffalo Trace Products....
wilmwolf
Has anyone across the state seen improvement in supply and delivery of bourbon? Not the hard to find stuff, just the warehouse issues that have lead to periodic empty shelves. I haven't done much hunting this year, so just wondering if that's gotten better.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
SexualChocolate
wilmwolf80 said:

Has anyone across the state seen improvement in supply and delivery of bourbon? Not the hard to find stuff, just the warehouse issues that have lead to periodic empty shelves. I haven't done much hunting this year, so just wondering if that's gotten better.

I have seen things get better with what is on the shelves here in Raleigh and down by Crystal Coast.
WolfpackCPA
Things have been better but not seeing much. I was hoping to pick up some 1792 full proof and single barrels but they have been hard to come by. I used to find EC barrel proof fairly easily but seeing much this year.
barnburner
Overall the shelves are more full in Wake Co but there is rarely anything unusual in stock.
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

Bourbon shelves are stocked much better overall in both Pender and Onslow for sure. I can remember early last fall not being able to find fifths of Jack Daniels even.

Pender is now only receiving Buffalo Trace and / or Eagle Rare once a quarter going forward. Started this quarter. They used to get it every week - only in 3-5 week spurts of course. They had about an eight week run in 2021 4th quarter / 2022 1st quarter where they had either and / or both Blanton's / Buffalo Trace coming in every week. Haven't gotten Blanton's since. Got Trace for the last time about 3 weeks ago.

Have seen 1792 fairly regularly in both county's. Belle Meade still on shelves too so far anyway (read where someone posted that it wasn't going to be distributed nationally anymore, so I'm expecting that it will gradually disappear as well).

Give me a list of what to look for and I'll let you know when I see them.

*I picked up that Dickel 15 Year that you have always recommended a couple of weeks ago and it was damn good.
TheStorm
I picked up a Buffalo Trace and a Very Old Barton in Pender this morning... I don't know anything about the VOB, but they said that they very, very rarely get it, so I thought I'd grab it too. It was very inexpensive, so I'm not expecting much.

As far as the quarterly BT shipments going forward go, I can only assume that the county distribution center is spreading out deliveries to the retail stores over time... because this same store just got BT 2-3 weeks ago also.
barnburner
On the BT, I was just in NY and NOLA and did some bottle hunting there. Every store had plenty of BT on the shelf in 2 sizes. It is not my favorite but it makes an impressive inexpensive gift.
st8ofdenial
TheStorm said:

I picked up a Buffalo Trace and a Very Old Barton in Pender this morning... I don't know anything about the VOB, but they said that they very, very rarely get it, so I thought I'd grab it too. It was very inexpensive, so I'm not expecting much.

As far as the quarterly BT shipments going forward go, I can only assume that the county distribution center is spreading out deliveries to the retail stores over time... because this same store just got BT 2-3 weeks ago also.
I love VOB, especially for its price point, but even outside it, I love it.

I was lucky to be able to travel to the "Holy Land" and watch us take on the Cardinal's in baseball. Scored a Heaven Hill 6yr Green label that is only sold in KY, some Willet products, Blanton's at Buffalo Trace and some others. I tried to buy what isn't on the shelf here. Always fun to run around KY and look.

But seeing Weller 107 at $199, CYPB at $899 and others is so disheartening.
TheStorm
barnburner said:

On the BT, I was just in NY and NOLA and did some bottle hunting there. Every store had plenty of BT on the shelf in 2 sizes. It is not my favorite but it makes an impressive inexpensive gift.
Surprisingly enough, it is not my favorite either... not as "heavy tasting" (to me anyway) as the bourbon's I *think* I like the most.

Unfortunately, I like about anything!... I only purchase to consume. I don't have a collection. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun... but also sounds like it might be something that takes wwaaayy too much time when I need to be making money instead.
SexualChocolate

barnburner
Good .luck Wilmington.. Going back to your question about inventories. Stopped by the Village District ABC store and the shelves looked better than they have in a good long while. They even had Knob Creek Single barrel on the shelf (roll eyes.. and I like it). I did get lucky and got a bottle of Elijah Craig Private Barrel today..
never had it. Look forward to trying it.
wilmwolf
Of all the places you might find me, standing in line at 11AM for Buffalo Trace is not one of them, lol. I do love barrel selections of Elijah Craig though. I did pick up a Kentucky Spirit today, which they didn't have the last time I was in the store a few months ago
TheStorm
SexualChocolate said:

When I first saw this screenshot, my immediate thought was "why in the hell would they want to create a frenzy like that"?

Then it pretty quickly sunk in that they've now routinely got people parked out in the parking lot on delivery days waiting on the trucks to arrive... then getting out and standing next to the trucks as they being unloaded and asking the crew if they have any of this and that while they are trying to work... looking in the back of the truck and worrying the workers about when are they bringing this particular case - that they can see - in (haha, sometimes it's for a different store)... then running back inside as soon as they see x, y or z on the hand truck and immediately asking the sales clerk to go to the back and get it for them (haha, that answer is no!)... loitering around the store in groups while the shipment is getting checked in (which is not a short amount of time by any means as I understand it), which also depending upon the size of the store, results in blocking aisles and walkways, etc.

Believe me, I've heard all the stories from people I know pretty well.

That text message makes a hell of a lot of perfect sense now, when I look at it from that perspective. Damn, smart move.

Hold the shipment from the floor for at least one full day and make a public announcement. That solves "the harassment of the employees on delivery day" issue eventually.

Also explains why the store on Market and Old Eastwood still has an outdoor "line strap system" in place going around the side of the building... I just specifically wondered about why that was still up when I drove by there earlier last week... looked more permanent and about twice as long as the tape they had up during the covid rules. Now I get it.
WolfpackCPA
It's pretty sad when Wilmington does a special release for Buffalo trace but it literally sits on the shelf in other states.

This isn't a bash on Wilmington ABC but our screwed up ABC store. Funny you didn't see these emails come out for any other allocated bourbon but blantons. Every county in NC got atleast three bottles of pappy.
TheStorm
A neighboring county held their Pappy off the floor for approximately two weeks and then one random morning before a store opened, whoever was managing that day got a call from the county chairman to put that one precious bottle in the locked glass cabinet. The location close to me said that it sat in there for over an hour after they opened until some random guy caught a glimpse of it out of the corner of his eye and did a double-take. Said that the guy almost soiled his pants when he saw it.

None of the three stores that got one knew when any of the other stores were being contacted and none of them were contacted on the same day.

Seemed like a pretty good way to handle it actually. They also got a bottle of EH Taylor at the same time, and it didn't get put out until 3-4 days after the Van Winkle.

This also effectively put the block on the "dishonest employee that is reselling allocated bourbons on the internet" from being able to get a hold of it - or any other "quid pro quo" arrangement that type of person may have going on with a specific restaurant / bar. May have taken awhile, but I think they know exactly if anybody was taking advantage of the "honor" system that was in place previously and they've put an end to that practice from being able to continue. In the case I've described above, all ABC employees (and / or family members) were specifically barred from being able to purchase those bottles when they came in.

*Edited to be more clear in my response to CPA.
wilmwolf
The best way to handle allocated stuff is what Virginia does now. It's all online, you put in your info and they do a randomized computer drawing. That eliminates all of the worst parts of how it's done in NC. No truck followers, no standing in lines, no secret lists, no nepotism, no bribes to the clerks. The biggest problem we have in NC is that each local board is allowed to do what they want, there's no statewide policy about allocated stuff. New Hanover county has a list. You can't see the list. You can't add your name to the list, because there are too many people on it. At the holidays, they contact the person on the top of the list and work down. Unless something comes in that somebody important wants, and then they forget the list exists for a few minutes. When you complain about this, they literally tell you to go to other counties and spend your money there. It's why I've basically given up hunting bourbon, which is sad, because I used to enjoy it.
AlleyPack
SexualChocolate said:

Interesting news from Belle Meade.

http://chasingneat.com/2022/03/27/belle-meade-bourbon-is-being-discontinued-from-national-markets/?fbclid=IwAR2F1AY5U6Tf5JrVfvx9j1mMtok9oOwcj1tJ-oN-e5eV_j3FckPDfkUwWq0

Might have to stash some bottles of Reserve.

I picked up a bottle of the regular Sour Mash today based on this news.
Figure I'll put it in the back of my cabinet and "rediscover" it a few years from now, for a nice surprise.
WolfpackCPA
Thanks for sharing and this is how it should be everybody should have a fair shot.

Virginia just changed the system for certain allocated bourbons to send an email then its first come first serve basically prevents the camping and chasing truck drivers.

wilmwolf
Made it back into a liquor store for the first time in a while last week and picked up a Kentucky Spirit, which they didn't have the last time I was there a while back. Still quite a few empty spots on the shelves though.
barnburner
Well I cannot believe it. Walked into my local store today and lo and behold they had Blantons. I think it is the first time in 7 years I have had one. I was pleased with the $59.95 price as it seemed to be more expensive before.
wilmwolf
That's a good price. Lowest I've heard in a long time.
barnburner
prob shrinkflation
Mormad
Wow. I'm jealous.

I did score 6 bottles of antique 107 for just over $100 per, and sold 3 to my buddy. I love it, and think it's the poor man's pappy.
barnburner
Mormad said:

Wow. I'm jealous.

I did score 6 bottles of antique 107 for just over $100 per, and sold 3 to my buddy. I love it, and think it's the poor man's pappy.

Love that one but never see it.
OneOpinion
Got a bottle for my birthday of something I know nothing about. Anyone tried it?
wilmwolf
I have had a barrel pick of Penelope. It was pretty good, different juice than what you have there though. Let us know what you think.
TheStorm
Ha! I picked up a bottle of Old Tub last week... Bottled In Bond... Unfiltered... 100 Proof.

Had never seen it before, and I couldn't pass up the name... haven't opened it yet, but plan to sometime this week hopefully...

Not expecting much based on what I paid for it. Jim Beam product.
wilmwolf
It's ok. It's on the booker's side of the beam profile to me. Good budget bottle.
wilmwolf
Enjoying a Four Roses single barrel tonight.
CLA327
Nice!....had two pours neat of Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof. Honesty compels me to say they were a skosh hot, but the flavor was spot on.
wilmwolf
Rare Breed and Elijah Craig barrel proof are my two go to high proof bottles. I tend to normally stay in the 100 proof range, but sometimes you need a little more.
PackFansXL
I'm about to finish a bottle of Elijah Craig small batch. Nice pour.
SexualChocolate
Finished a 4R SiB Barrel Strength Store pick. Had it for a long time but I generally enjoy 4 Roses SIB picks. It doesn't really matter to me the tiers in the Rickhouse because they are all so well done.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.