All things Bourbon

284,625 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
SexualChocolate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

READ said:

Has anyone tried Bardstown? It is a new fusion bourbon and its pretty tasty. On its website it mentions a tour as well as a culinary experience. It looks like a new trendy spot for tasting.

As for hunting, I have an in with the local ABC board. My cousins wife runs it and she will let me know when she gets new stuff in. I was talking to a young man that works at the main store and he was bragging about not having to buy anything off of the shelf. He said he has so much accumulated that he doesn't drink a bottle unless he has a replacement, that he had 3 bottles of Elmer T Lee just sitting there along with much more....smh!
Unfortunately, that's how the ABC works. Good for you for having a connection. As to the Fusion, I picked up a bottle and liked it. It's a little overpriced for what it is, but so is everything else, so I probably shouldn't complain.

I liked the Discovery Series Bardstown the best. I agree that the Fusion is good but a little high for the price. I tried a Knob Creek 12 year this weekend and really enjoyed it. Will definitely buy again.
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

READ said:

Has anyone tried Bardstown? It is a new fusion bourbon and its pretty tasty. On its website it mentions a tour as well as a culinary experience. It looks like a new trendy spot for tasting.

As for hunting, I have an in with the local ABC board. My cousins wife runs it and she will let me know when she gets new stuff in. I was talking to a young man that works at the main store and he was bragging about not having to buy anything off of the shelf. He said he has so much accumulated that he doesn't drink a bottle unless he has a replacement, that he had 3 bottles of Elmer T Lee just sitting there along with much more....smh!
Unfortunately, that's how the ABC works. Good for you for having a connection. As to the Fusion, I picked up a bottle and liked it. It's a little overpriced for what it is, but so is everything else, so I probably shouldn't complain.
It might be how it works (in some counties), but it's not how it is supposed to work... it's actually against their published policy. I have a direct relative that works for a county ABC Board. I am also personal friends with the State Chairman, and while I have no doubt that important people in high places can get things that others can't... I know he isn't out there telling his county reps that they can do the same when written policy prohibits it.
wilmwolf
Oh believe me, I know it's not policy, it's just the reality. I have too much first hand experience with it. Some counties and boards do it right, but many do not. When New Hanover gets three bottles of EH Taylor 18 year marriage, and none of them end up in the hands of average customers (not even via "the list", don't get me started on that) and two of the three happen go to the same person... I'll just say that I've just come to expect it and have pretty much given up on the ABC in this county.

I also know Zander. Well, I used to have a working relationship with him years back anyway. He's a nice guy.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
WolfpackCPA
Being in new Hanover county is so frustrating I don't even go to the store here hoping to find something unique.

I feel like I have better opportunity looking outside the county.
AlleyPack
Just like a year or so ago when Eagle Rare suddenly became "rare" (after being on the shelves pretty much all the time), I'm now discovering that Ancient Ancient Age is becoming sparse.

Anyone else?...

wilmwolf
Yeah. The clerks push anything made by buffalo trace to the hundreds of people coming in to look for BT. If you spend a minute or two in a store around here, someone will come in looking for BT or Blanton's (I actually feel sorry for the workers), and the clerks will point them to Eagle Rare or AA. Some stores even started putting a sign in front of the Eagle Rare that said "MADE BY BUFFALO TRACE!".
SexualChocolate
Brunswick Co just got some really good drops the past few weeks. Elmer, EHT Warehouse C and Barrel Proof all in the past few weeks.
SexualChocolate
wilmwolf80 said:

Yeah. The clerks push anything made by buffalo trace to the hundreds of people coming in to look for BT. If you spend a minute or two in a store around here, someone will come in looking for BT or Blanton's (I actually feel sorry for the workers), and the clerks will point them to Eagle Rare or AA. Some stores even started putting a sign in front of the Eagle Rare that said "MADE BY BUFFALO TRACE!".

Hey Wilm, Russell's 13 just got to NC. They had 66 cases in State warehouse. Be on the lookout. Saw some hit Richlands today.
wilmwolf
Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it
WolfpackCPA
Thank you for the heads up. If I am willing to travel there for golf might as well time it up for some bourbon.

SexualChocolate
Looks like Russels 13 got delivered yesterday in Brunswick.
wilmwolf
Colonel Taylor single barrel tonight. These have been hit and miss for me, but this one is good.
st8ofdenial
Just had a Old Bardstown BIB at dinner, very good. It's a Willet product, will probably make it into my purchases. Trying New Riff Single Barrel next

Have bought Pearless, Eight and Sand, George Remus so far
Bell Tower Grey
Mrs. BTG just came into the den with a nice pour of 46 with 2 cubes, a side of jalapeno poppers she'd fixed, and a flirty smile.. She says "stay right there, I'll be back in a minute."

She walks back in holding a covered dish, When she lifts the towel, she's ground fresh burgers for me, and fresh turkey burgers for her. She never uses the grinder attachment with the mixer. Bless her heart, she is so proud. And based on the looks of what she fixed, she did good.

Guess I'll pour another one after a while then light the charcoal.
wilmwolf
Sounds great!
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

Mrs. BTG just came into the den with a nice pour of 46 with 2 cubes, a side of jalapeno poppers she'd fixed, and a flirty smile.. She says "stay right there, I'll be back in a minute."

She walks back in holding a covered dish, When she lifts the towel, she's ground fresh burgers for me, and fresh turkey burgers for her. She never uses the grinder attachment with the mixer. Bless her heart, she is so proud. And based on the looks of what she fixed, she did good.

Humble bragging son of a *****.

Just kidding buddy, great wife, great life. Congrats on marrying well and enjoy the red meat and bourbon!!
Bell Tower Grey
Civilized said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Humble bragging son of a *****.

Just kidding buddy, great wife, great life. Congrats on marrying well and enjoy the red meat and bourbon!!
Lol, thanks, brother. I did marry well this time.....she loves me like my dog does, so I know it's all good. Got 27 married years this coming November.

First time....let's just say the term "young and stupid" was in play.
curmudgeon.zen
Broke open a Barrel Bourbon, batch 28 just now...

Not. Bad.
Log off. Go outside.
PackFansXL
https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/07/its-time-to-allow-bourbon-in-our-mailboxes/

Quote:

Unsurprisingly, consumers are becoming increasingly vocal about their support for alcohol shipping. The Distilled Spirits Council just released a survey indicating that 80 percent of Americans think distillers should be permitted to ship liquor to consumers' doorsteps.
st8ofdenial

The haul from this weekends trip to KY. Most of it you can't get in NC. THe others, just felt like I should buy while I was at the distillery.
barnburner
Always nice to get a Wellers.
WolfpackCPA
Picked up a four roses barrel strength just outside Charlotte a couple weeks ago. First time seeing it.

Has anybody had smoke wagon and is it worth it?
wilmwolf
I've had their small batch and a single barrel. It's MGP juice, so if you like that, it's good. The ones I had skewed towards the bolder, spicier side of that flavor profile. I don't think it's anything special necessarily. They had some older barrels to start out with that got them some hype, but most of what I see now is the same 5-8 year stuff that most people that source from MGP get. As a brand, they are cool, the dude that owns it has a big persona that serves him well in the bourbon world. I wouldn't go out of my way to pick one up personally, and definitely wouldn't spend more than retail, but it's a nice addition to the shelf if you have the opportunity to get some.
WolfpackCPA
Appreciate the information and with the cool weather this weekend getting excited for bourbon this fall.
Sierrawolf
Anyone tried the Russell's 13? I'm dying to get my hands on a bottle.
SexualChocolate
Sierrawolf said:

Anyone tried the Russell's 13? I'm dying to get my hands on a bottle.

Me as well but the ABC is struggling to deliver it currently.
wilmwolf
McKenna 10 tonight. It's crazy how recently nobody knew about this one, then it wins an award and blows up. It's a solid bourbon. Wish it was still the old price and old availability. I tend to leave it on the shelf when I see it these days just in hope someone else gets to try it, but I did buy one earlier in the year.
PackFansXL
I just finished my bottle of High West Whiskey. I saw it listed on one of those bucket lists. It was described as similar to the whiskey found in saloons found in the Wild West. It was okay.
Mormad
Sampled Stagg jr, weller antique 107, pappy 10 and 12 last night. All really good. Pappy 12 was so smooth. Stagg jr at 131 had a short burn but was broad in taste and had a nice finish. The weller smelled and tasted like the pappy 12 to me, the pappy was just slightly smoother and more refined. For the money, that Weller was really nice.
wilmwolf
Mormad said:

Sampled Stagg jr, weller antique 107, pappy 10 and 12 last night. All really good. Pappy 12 was so smooth. Stagg jr at 131 had a short burn but was broad in taste and had a nice finish. The weller smelled and tasted like the pappy 12 to me, the pappy was just slightly smoother and more refined. For the money, that Weller was really nice.

That's a good lineup. Doing a blind tasting of Weller Antique, Old Rip 10, and Pappy 15 remains one of the favorite things I've done in bourbon. Did it with some bourbon buddies a few years back, and none of us got them all right. It was surprisingly difficult. The 12 year Lot B is a different animal with the lower proof. I would like to taste it blind with Weller 12, because I think they are pretty much indistinguishable. The resurgence in Stagg Jr. is interesting, because when it first came out years ago, everyone hated it, myself included. I got one of the first batches, and I ended up using it as a mixer until I gave away what was left in the bottle to a friend who was just getting into bourbon. It tasted like oak flavored jet fuel. The subsequent batches have gotten better obviously. I have a couple of them, even though I'm not a big barrel proof guy. Up against the big boy Stagg though, they aren't close to me. The George T. Stagg I've tried recently, 2018 or 2019 can't remember, drank well under the proof and was quite enjoyable.
Mormad
We all agreed the 12 lot B was the best, and one of my buddies and i thought about buying a bottle we found a reduced price on, but for the money i think I'd prefer the antique. There are so many good mid shelf bourbons, it's hard to justify any of it.

We paid 27 for a 2oz pour of 12, 24 for the 10, and 18 for the stagg. We had guessed we'd pay 80 for the pour of lot B, so we were all happy to splurge one time and laugh our butts off. Best part of drinking bourbon...
TheStorm
Shelves are half-empty down here on the coast for the last 2-3 weeks now... Grocery stores now looking the same the last 1.5 weeks as well.

And it sure as hell ain't the tourists!
wilmwolf
There's something going on with the trucks for the ABC. I don't know exactly what it is and I don't watch the news so I don't know if they've said anything. Maybe someone here has more insight.
GreeneGoblin
Campfire?
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

There's something going on with the trucks for the ABC. I don't know exactly what it is and I don't watch the news so I don't know if they've said anything. Maybe someone here has more insight.
The state itself just isn't getting enough. Major supply issue. It is so bad now, that stores are getting trucks 2-3 times a week now instead the usual once a week delivery just to keep something on the shelves, but they might only get 10-15 cases total because that's all there is. The bars and restaurants are really upset because they are losing revenue.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.