All things Bourbon

286,741 Views | 2198 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ncsupack1
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It won some World's best bourbon award recently, so it's been a hot ticket. I am not wowed by it, but I'm not really a big fan of the Barton profile in general, so my opinion means about as much as that award, which isn't much. It's priced decently for a 12 year old Kentucky bourbon these days, so it's probably worth picking up to try, there are definitely much more expensive bottles of much lower quality.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
TheStorm
wilmwolf said:

It won some World's best bourbon award recently, so it's been a hot ticket. I am not wowed by it, but I'm not really a big fan of the Barton profile in general, so my opinion means about as much as that award, which isn't much. It's priced decently for a 12 year old Kentucky bourbon these days, so it's probably worth picking up to try, there are definitely much more expensive bottles of much lower quality.
Thanks ILM!
SexualChocolate
TheStorm said:

Any reviews from anybody here on 1792 - 12 Year? It has made its way onto the shelves here in SE NC and I was somewhat curious about it. Thanks.

Have a bottle of it. I agree with Wilm in that I don't really like the Barton's flavor profile but this for the price and age is well worth it.
RvaWolf
I don't go out of my way looking for 1792, but have enjoyed both the 12yr and full proof. Good price point for both if you can find on a shelf at msrp.
Oldsouljer
curmudgeon.zen said:

Oldsouljer said:

curmudgeon.zen said:

Anybody seen the new batch of Penelope Rio yet? Hunting hard for that one.

Cracked the Bardstown Discovery 11 last weekend. Pricey bottle, but my goodness is it delicious. Highly, highly recommended.
What are we talking, price-wise?
$140

I rarely spend that much on a bottle...I do, however, have several $70ish bottles that I buy more or less regularly. I would trade two of any of those $70 bottles for one Disco 11 every day of the week, ten times out of ten. This is how I justify it to myself, convoluted though it may be.
Definitely a special occasion thing, then.
ncsupack1
Figure this is the thread to ask, where in the Wake/ Johnston County area can a guy find Buffalo? I'm down to a bottle and have been saving it cause it's a desert here. Thanks.
TheStorm
^ The distillery must be pumping it out in higher quantities now, because one of my two local stores here on the coast got 180 bottles in their shipment last month and 120 bottles in their shipment this month... previously they probably weren't even averaging a case a month. I would think it should be somewhat like that all across the state.
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

^ The distillery must be pumping it out in higher quantities now, because one of my two local stores here on the coast got 180 bottles in their shipment last month and 120 bottles in their shipment this month... previously they probably weren't even averaging a case a month. I would think it should be somewhat like that all across the state.
I'll keep looking then. It's crazy cause the two stores that I go to never have it, I even ask, and told no.
Kgar2121
There are multiple, multiple places online to purchase it, and even after shipping, it's cheaper than buying in NC, provided you buy a few bottles. Not so with everything, but I have found it with BT and Angels Envy
ncsupack1
Kgar2121 said:

There are multiple, multiple places online to purchase it, and even after shipping, it's cheaper than buying in NC, provided you buy a few bottles. Not so with everything, but I have found it with BT and Angels Envy

Thanks. My problem is that I'm not real motivated but I may have to try online.
jkpackfan
Kgar2121 said:

Yeah I buy mine online, got tired of searching for it. I use cw spirits and frootbat.
wilmwolf
ncsupack1 said:

Figure this is the thread to ask, where in the Wake/ Johnston County area can a guy find Buffalo? I'm down to a bottle and have been saving it cause it's a desert here. Thanks.

You need to get out of highly populated areas. The state ABC pretty much divides it up equally, but 100 bottles at a Wake county store lasts a few hours, whereas a more rural store that gets the same amount will keep it a week.
ncsupack1
wilmwolf said:

ncsupack1 said:

You need to get out of highly populated areas. The state ABC pretty much divides it up equally, but 100 bottles at a Wake county store lasts a few hours, whereas a more rural store that gets the same amount will keep it a week.
That makes since. My buddy who lives in Lee County finds it all the time. Thanks.
ncsupack1
Strong pours of Maker's tonight watching the Xfinity race.
stuartmcarthur5
In San Antonio so gonna do a little bourbon hunting
Sierrawolf
jkpackfan said:

Kgar2121 said:

Yeah I buy mine online, got tired of searching for it. I use cw spirits and frootbat.

I'm assuming you have to be home to sign for it? That's the only holdup
jkpackfan
Sierrawolf said:

jkpackfan said:

Kgar2121 said:

I'm assuming you have to be home to sign for it? That's the only holdup
No I've never been home when ordering from either place.
ncsupack1
stuartmcarthur5 said:

In San Antonio so gonna do a little bourbon hunting

Good luck and let us know what you find. Any good eats out there?
stuartmcarthur5
Got a couple good bottles here in San Antonio. Got a Willett Rye and Still Austin Blue Corn Bourbon.
ncsupack1
Anyone taking advantage of this beautiful day? Having some Maker's and going to keep an eye on State. Cheers.
barnburner
ncsupack1 said:

Anyone taking advantage of this beautiful day? Having some Maker's and going to keep an eye on State. Cheers.
I'll start drinking if we make it to Thursday!
wilmwolf
Interested how the Still Austin is. The only other blue corn whiskey I've ever tried was Balcones True Blue I think it was called. It was awful. Smelled like paint thinner and tasted what I assume paint thinner would taste like, lol. The Willett rye is typically pretty polarizing in reviews. It's very unique, not really like any other rye I've had. I like it as a change of pace every now and then.
ncsupack1
barnburner said:

ncsupack1 said:

I'll start drinking if we make it to Thursday!
Ha! I've already started.
stuartmcarthur5
I tried it at the bar in San Antonio and it's not a blue corn but just aged more and the name. It is fantastic and I'm looking forward to cracking it when I get home
Oldsouljer
ncsupack1 said:

I definitely need to get me some Maker's.
ncsupack1
Oldsouljer said:

ncsupack1 said:

After last night I need some more lol…got a little heavy in it last night…
Oldsouljer
ncsupack1 said:

Oldsouljer said:

ncsupack1 said:

After last night I need some more lol…got a little heavy in it last night…
Lol, well, if it makes watching basketball more bearable…..
barnburner
wilmwolf said:

Interested how the Still Austin is. The only other blue corn whiskey I've ever tried was Balcones True Blue I think it was called. It was awful. Smelled like paint thinner and tasted what I assume paint thinner would taste like, lol. The Willett rye is typically pretty polarizing in reviews. It's very unique, not really like any other rye I've had. I like it as a change of pace every now and then.
I have a bottle of the cask strength.. it's a craft brew but drinks much older and I was pretty impressed overall. Not sure about the corn sitch. If you change to get one, I would recommend it. .
pack2010
wilmwolf said:

it's very good. i am in austin and grabbed 2 bottles of the blue corn from still before they moved on to their new BIB.
pack2010
stuartmcarthur5 said:

I tried it at the bar in San Antonio and it's not a blue corn but just aged more and the name. It is fantastic and I'm looking forward to cracking it when I get home

the still austin blue corn? it is 26% blue corn. if you are referencing something else, apologies

MASHBILL:

26% BLUE CORN, 25% WHITE CORN, 44% RYE, 5% MALTED BARLEY
PackMom
Here's the bourbon thread.
waynecountywolf
Leading off with Old Elk Wheated and 2 cubes
I am just here for the conspiracy theories
waynecountywolf
Evan Williams BIB with a splash of ginger ale in a 50 year old NC State glass for The Run.

I am just here for the conspiracy theories
barnburner
Opened a Bookers tonight
ncsupack1
Strong pour to ease into the night…cheers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.