All things Bourbon

284,547 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
WolfpackCPA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finally tried the crown royal peach yesterday, it's a desert bourbon but I would say the name definitely fits the bottle. Not sure I will drink it very often. However, perfect for people that come over who want some bourbon but not sure if they like it or not.

Followed that up with 1792 full proof and immediately regretted the order I drank them. Amazing bottle and highly recommend purchasing if you happen to come across it.

Need to see if I can find a toasted barrel still.

brickturner
1792 full proof is definitely the real deal. That being said, perhaps if you see it again, just leave it on the shelf and let me know where it is. Alternatively, buy it and I'll come pick it up.
Edit: came across 1792 full proof today and passed on it for 1792 single barrel. Also got a Dickel BIB
WolfpackCPA
Four bottles of blantons gold going to be in Wilmington tomorrow. I won't be fighting the crowd.
Bell Tower Grey
Quote:

Received an email today from Casker's. September is Bourbon Heritage Month. Looks like I may need to start looking for some things on this thread I've never tried.

As for right now, I"m enjoying a FRSB before dinner.
Civilized
Probably should be on the grilling thread but what's for dinner?
wilmwolf
WolfpackCPA said:

Four bottles of blantons gold going to be in Wilmington tomorrow. I won't be fighting the crowd.

Yeah. Pretty ridiculous at this point. One of my Raleigh friends text me and asked did I know about it, which I had already seen the email, because he saw it on one of the Raleigh bourbon group pages. Apparently half the state is going to be lining up to get four bottles. I appreciate them letting people know when it is coming I guess, but doing it that way is going to create a scene. I just wish they would have a damn lottery like pretty much every other county and give people an equal chance at it. You couldn't pay me money to line up overnight to get a bottle of Blanton's of any type, notwithstanding that I don't think Blanton's is anywhere near as good as it used to be.
Bell Tower Grey
Civilized said:

Probably should be on the grilling thread but what's for dinner?
Tonight, burgers and dogs. Not sure about tomorrow, since we're going to be out most of the day. However, Sunday is going to be damgud. I will definitely post pics of that.

How about y'all?
WolfpackCPA
Agree completely I would rather pay secondary or 60 bucks more than to stand in line or potentially overnight.
Civilized
Nice!

We're in the same boat, starting out slow and getting better as the weekend goes on.

Crazy week so unsexy leftovers tonight.

Taking Mom to Heron's for brunch tomorrow to celebrate her 70th. Got a table outside on the patio.

If y'all have never been to Heron's go for breakfast or brunch. 5-star restaurant that has pancake house prices before dinner. Crazy value.

Planning to smoke something Sunday or Monday.

To bring it back to thread, pouring a few fingers of Bowman Bro's now to get Friday night started.

Keep us posted what you smoke this weekend!

Happy long weekend, all!
WolfpackCPA
Now you can let me know if you see the rye!
wilmwolf
Drinking a Medley Exclusive Selection private barrel tonight. I believe this to be barrel proof Barton sourced bourbon, relevant to the talk about 1792 earlier in the thread. Most Barton stuff has a similar profile to me, with a bit of a cinnamon note common to them all.
Mormad
How much is EC single barrel 18, wilmwolf?
wilmwolf
Retail is ~$150 I think, or it was when I bought the two I have a few years ago.
Civilized
Do you ever buy bottles and enjoy them so little that you give them away before you finish them?

Does your collection keep growing or does your rate of purchasing roughly mirror your rate of consumption?

You into scotches at all?
wilmwolf
I give away a lot of bottles. A lot. I don't really do bars, so if there's something I want to try, I buy a bottle. If something is really bad, I probably just pour it, but if it just doesn't fit my palate, I'll try to give it to someone I think will like it. With not being able to see friends as much this year, I've done some shipping of samples to different friends that I think they'll like.

My purchases far out pace my consumption, particularly in the later half of the year when the special stuff starts coming out. I don't drink much anymore, typically only Friday night, sometimes Saturday, and normally only a few glasses. Because of that the collection has grown pretty steadily, despite my best efforts to limit purchases the last few years. I know a few guys that have way more than I do, but they are the type that buy stuff to look at. Everything I buy is with the intention of opening and drinking, and I normally crack them as soon as I get them because I like to try them.

I've tried a few scotches over the years, and it's never been something I was really into. I can appreciate them, it's just not my bag, which is probably a good thing because the last thing I need is more bottles.
Civilized
Thanks, and interesting stuff!

Collections of all types fascinate me, and I also like bourbon and scotch (although my palette is very unrefined) so the reason I asked was twofold.
Civilized
Comrades (that's for my man GP),

A toast to the return of NFL football.

Hope you enjoy your drink of choice tonight. I know my bourbon will be the most delicious I've had in months.
wilmwolf
Having a Booker's flipping back and forth between NFL and Miami game.
barnburner
Well.. it is feeling like Bourbon weather out now after a few months of gin drinking. My cabinet is stocked for the season..trying to figure out my first pull.
Civilized
burnbarn said:

Well.. it is feeling like Bourbon weather out now after a few months of gin drinking. My cabinet is stocked for the season..trying to figure out my first pull.

Sipping gin?

Or in cocktails?
WolfpackCPA
Picked up the 2020 wood finishing series always excited to see that pop up.

Hopefully the start of many bourbons being released.
wilmwolf
It's really good. I've gotten quite a few of the different stave selections from around the area, and the Wood Finishing is probably the best combination I've had yet.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
barnburner
Civilized said:

burnbarn said:

Sipping gin?

Or in cocktails?
Mostly G&Ts.. they taste like summer to me.
barnburner
wilmwolf80 said:

It's really good. I've gotten quite a few of the different stave selections from around the area, and the Wood Finishing is probably the best combination I've had yet.
anything in particular.. not familiar with stave.
wilmwolf
It's Maker's Mark Wood Finishing series. They use various wood stave combinations inside the barrel to finish the bourbon after it is done aging. It is what they do for Makers 46, but this changes up which staves they use, wood type, char type, etc. There are a ton of private picks with different stave combinations, and then the last two years Maker's has done a special combination and had a limited release. The cool part is that which staves are used are marked on the bottle, so you can figure out which combinations you like best.
Bell Tower Grey
Over time, I've decided Makers 46 is my favorite day drinker. A good pour at a good price. Granted, there are probably a lot better choices out there (and definitely a lot worse), but it works for me.
curmudgeon.zen
n/p: Hothouse Flowers - Songs From The Rain

In my glass...John J. Bowman

Cheers, folks.
Log off. Go outside.
wilmwolf
Makers 46 is good. If I was buying Maker's and it wasn't one of the barrel selects, I'd pick 46. I think Maker's is sitting on a gold mine if they would release some older products. Wheaters are as popular as they've even been, and I would love to try Maker's at 12 or 15 years old instead of their normal 6.
Sierrawolf
Yeah I definitely agree. Their flavor profile is really good but they don't have a ton of selection. It's basically different proofs of the same juice or slightly different wood staves for a short period of time. I think offering an older product wouldn't be too challenging for them.
wilmwolf
I mean, I respect what they do, they are one of the biggest brands in the world, and they basically stick to their thing. I would just like to see some competition in the older wheater category. Currently you have Weller 12, the Van Winkle Stuff, Old Fitz, and Rebel yell 10, and I can't really think of another wheater over ten years old that's regularly released. I'd spend two bills on a 12 year old Maker's, without question.
WolfpackCPA
Anybody have any bourbons they are looking forward to opening with this cooler weather?
Mormad
I was gonna compare and contrast sips of angels envy vs pogue vs Weller tonight...
Mormad
Have blantons single barrel, Elijah Craig 18 yr single barrel, turkey 101, and weller 12 in my flaviar cart, but after reading the above i am thinking about dropping the blantons.
wilmwolf
Don't skip out on the Blanton's because of anything I said. It's still good bourbon. It's just not as consistently great as it used to be. There's always variance with a single barrel, but there has definitely been consistency issues as they've tried to meet demand. Do a blind tasting of Blanton's against WT 101. Other than the Turkey being a small batch, they have very similar specs, same mash bill, close to the same proof. The Turkey may not win, but it is probably closer than you would think.
WolfpackCPA
With Blanton's, it needs to breathe for an extended period of time. When I opened it and drank it immediately, I was very disappointed. I tried it again where I left it in a cup for 30 minutes and was much happier with the product.

Not something I typically have to do but found it helped.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.