All things Bourbon

286,724 Views | 2198 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ncsupack1
JumboPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would donate bourbon to elite + for the proceeds to go to the players.
TheStorm
My most notable pick ups over the last two months are:

OF BD - Barrelled 2011 96 Proof (was told in the store that this one is hard to get)
EC Barrel Proof 124.8 Proof
ETL 90 Proof

All were store buys in ENC. I'm driving around a lot down here on business, and have started stopping in any store that I pass and am S-L-O-W-L-Y learning that some of the less populated counties have some really good stuff sitting there sometimes.

And yesterday, my wife presented me with a bottle of Hooten Young 12 Year (Batch No. 1) 92 Proof for our anniversary... I know nothing about it (and she only drinks wine, so she knows even less than me ), but she said that when she was looking, that someone at one of our local stores recommended it to her. Should be interesting.
wilmwolf
The Hooten Young is a two grain American whiskey that is mostly corn. Would be bourbon, but they use used barrels for the aging. Consensus on the interweb is that it's sourced from MGP. I've seen it on the shelf, but never had it. I wonder how it compares to Mellow Corn, which is the only other aged corn whiskey that I know of.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
TheStorm
^ Hey, thanks for that information... I did note that it is extremely light in color, even in the unopened bottle... is this because when you say they age it in "used" barrels, that they've already lose their char? Or is it unrelated to char entirely.

I told you before that I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, other than just drinking it.
wilmwolf
The barrel influence takes a lot longer if it is a second use barrel. Pretty much every other type of whiskey (or rum) out there is made with used barrels, scotch, Irish whiskey, etc. and the color difference as you've noted is normally the same.
TheStorm
Thanks 80... I enjoy learning these things from you and the others on this thread.
stuartmcarthur5
Picked this up from the local ABC today and had to give it a try since it's from a distillery in Statesville. I would definitely recommend it if you haven't tried it.
wilmwolf
Has been getting a lot of buzz. They were a good under the radar source for 10 year MGP juice for a while that they were bottling as a single barrel offering. The Paragon is their own stuff. I had one in my hand the other day but ended up seeing something else I wanted more, but it's on my list to try.
stuartmcarthur5
I'm hoping the bottle of Knob Creek 12 is still there today since that caught my eye and I haven't seen it on the shelves in a long time.
barnburner
lucky you.. the 12 year is one of my favorites.... I have not seen one at the store.
SexualChocolate
I've had a taste of this during a charity/bourbon golf tourney and it was surprisingly good.
Kgar2121
stuartmcarthur5 said:

Picked this up from the local ABC today and had to give it a try since it's from a distillery in Statesville. I would definitely recommend it if you haven't tried it.

Definitely tasty stuff! Cask Strength is my favorite, but the BIB is pretty good too
Kgar2121
Have made more of an effort to bolster our Bourbon/Whiskey offerings this season. Here are some that we have been lucky enough to get (and yes, I plan to grab a pour of each before they're gone!). Hope the pics show up... I love taking them, just don't post much!

RvaWolf
Great selection. Old Fitz has become one of my all-time favorites.
SexualChocolate
Great selection! What time should I come over?
stuartmcarthur5
Luckily they had the Knob Creek 12 still and was surprised to see this one on the counter.
stuartmcarthur5
Next time out towards Statesville I might have to stop by. Found this at my local ABC and wanted to try it. I think it's really good
TheStorm
They got in a Knob Creek 18 year in one of the local stores about 2 months ago... of course, I never got the chance to lay eyes on it either. I have that 12 as well... I liked it.
barnburner
Got a Bookers today. One of my favorites
JumboPack
stuartmcarthur5 said:

Luckily they had the Knob Creek 12 still and was surprised to see this one on the counter.

I really like the McKenna 10 year.
vanuel
barnburner said:

Congratulations. Getting hard to find these days. Always been one of my favorite pours.
SexualChocolate
vanuel said:

barnburner said:

Congratulations. Getting hard to find these days. Always been one of my favorite pours.

My favorite Bookers was Country Ham. It was probably one of my top 5 bourbons of all time. Beaten Biscuits was great also. I will say for the price, its kind of hit or miss. I've had some that were good but not great.
wilmwolf
Country ham was very good. I've been burned on a few that were borderline undrinkable to my palate, but it's still one I pick up when available.
SexualChocolate
Just wanted to wish everyone on here a Happy Holidays! Enjoy your bourbon with family and friends and keep posting pics of your finds and your pours during this Holiday Season!
Kgar2121
SexualChocolate said:

Great selection! What time should I come over?
Any time!
vanuel
SexualChocolate said:

vanuel said:

barnburner said:

My favorite Bookers was Country Ham. It was probably one of my top 5 bourbons of all time. Beaten Biscuits was great also. I will say for the price, its kind of hit or miss. I've had some that were good but not great.
I feel like Booker's has become a little erratic in the past two years. Last year they pulled a batch because it just wasn't good. Country Ham was a great batch, but my all time favorite was probably the Sip Awhile batch. There have been a bunch of good ones over the years. I paid too much for a batch from way back in the 90's one time just to see if it had changed much over the years and it was almost indistinguishable from the stuff that they are bottling now. I have probably a dozen or so bottles that I put back of ones that I really liked.
Captain Chaos
Just picked up a Buffalo Trace and an Eagle Rare in Holly Springs. Still a few behind the counter.
packgrad
I picked up an Angels Envy in N Durham. They had a couple of BT as well, but I still have some, so figured I'd let someone else get it.
wilmwolf
" it was almost indistinguishable from the stuff that they are bottling now"

Unfortunately, you can say that for a lot of bourbon these days, particularly on the premium side of things. Programs that used to be about selecting only the best of the best barrels have had to widen their scope to meet demand. You would be hard pressed many times to pick between Ancient Age and a current Blanton's offering in a blind test. It is the unfortunate byproduct of the popularity of bourbon. Not to say there aren't still exceptional bourbons being made, they just seem to be fewer and far between. I find myself sticking with more tried and true middle shelf offerings these days rather than risking buying another $100+ bottle that I'll probably regret. I bought less bourbon this year than I have since I got into this stuff twenty years ago.
JumboPack

Picked up a store selected single barrel and some mellow corn. Lol, under the bottled in bond label it says under US govt supervision.

I have never had 100% corn mash bourbon before. Has a caramel corn flavor up front and a bit of a burn with the aftertaste.

In my year of trying good bourbon I have never had any of the Old Forester brands so don't know what to expect from this single barrel.
wilmwolf
Love the old Forester single barrel! Mellow Corn is a fun one to break out for people who have never had it, very versatile whiskey.
JumboPack
I am thoroughly enjoying the Old Forester singe barrel. It is 127.5 proof but less burn in the aftertaste than the mellow corn. Flavor is vanilla and cinnamon on the palate. I would put this up against some of the Buffalo Trace products I've tasted easily.
wilmwolf
JumboPack said:

I am thoroughly enjoying the Old Forester singe barrel. It is 127.5 proof but less burn in the aftertaste than the mellow corn. Flavor is vanilla and cinnamon on the palate. I would put this up against some of the Buffalo Trace products I've tasted easily.

I actually recommend old Forester for people looking for buffalo Trace and can't find it. It has a similar profile to my palate. The single barrels I've had have always been easier to drink than their proof would suggest.
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

The Hooten Young is a two grain American whiskey that is mostly corn. Would be bourbon, but they use used barrels for the aging. Consensus on the interweb is that it's sourced from MGP. I've seen it on the shelf, but never had it. I wonder how it compares to Mellow Corn, which is the only other aged corn whiskey that I know of.
I opened this last night and it was fairly underwhelming...
wilmwolf
In the words of an unknown poet, it really do be like that sometimes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.