All things Bourbon

280,112 Views | 2172 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by vanuel
SexualChocolate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, this is available in NC. I actually found mine in Swansboro but it was delivered to a lot of places in NC this week. I think it will be easy to find but just look in less traveled spots because people collect these now.
wilmwolf
Russell's Reserve tonight. If anyone comes across the 13 year, please let me know.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
SexualChocolate
wilmwolf80 said:

Russell's Reserve tonight. If anyone comes across the 13 year, please let me know.

Has started to show up in VA but not yet in NC. If I see one, I'll let you know.
Mormad
Last night i made an old fashioned with larceny, bittermilk, and angostura bitters and i thought it was really good.

I then made one with baby saz, bittermilk, and 8 drops of cardamom bitters. I wasn't a big fan of the cardamom. I like ginger better.

I also think i like simple syrup or homemade demarara syrup better than mixers.
SexualChocolate
I like Old Foresters rye, Luxardo cherries, Peychard bitters. Burn an orange peel and coat rim. Add ice to liking.
Sierrawolf
We did a bourbon tasting on Friday night. Tried 14 total I think.

Standouts(that I can remember):
-Heaven Hill BiB
-Bardstown #4
-Larceny BP
-1792 Single Barrel NC Pick

We also confirmed that Dickel Bottled in Bond was awful.
st8ofdenial
Buddy and me did a blind taste test of Pepe 12, poor man's Pappy(three parts Weller 107, two parts Weller 12) and Weller special reserve. We both got Weller special reserve, I correctly pick the pappy and the poor man's Pappy, and he had those two switched. In his defense he hadn't had Pappys yet.

All three were very good.
Bell Tower Grey
Cheers! Celebrate America's "Native Spirit" on National Bourbon Day June 14

https://www.nationalbourbonday.com/
wilmwolf
I had enough this weekend to last a few weeks, so I will cheers an imaginary glass tonight.
Mormad
Having a couple of fingers of eagle rare on ice tonight watching the swimming Olympic trials
Bell Tower Grey
I had a shot of 46 just to celebrate.

On the Hop Drop and Roll beer wagon today though. And it gets better with every run MS St scores against notre dame. Not to mention the fact that the "talent level" inside the MSU stadium is keeping me interested as well.....just damn, boys.
SexualChocolate
KY Spirit to celebrate National Bourbon Day
Bell Tower Grey
I wish some distiller would distribute a decent bourbon called " Raw Emotion ", because I would have bought several handles worth yesterday.

Hell, if they would do it now I'll keep a couple in my liquor cabinet all the time. Being a State fan warrants that.
wilmwolf
I just wish more distillers were making good bourbon. More often than not I buy something new to try these days and end up disappointed. $50 used to be a level that was guaranteed to be a quality product, and it just isn't anymore. Even $100 isn't a guarantee that there won't be meh bourbon in the bottle. Frankly, it sucks, and it drives me a tiny bit further away from something I love, which is trying new things, everyday. I lean more towards buying the old, tried and true, basic bourbons.
SexualChocolate
Got my new liquor cabinet!
packgrad
SexualChocolate said:

Looks like you're not far from needing another one.
Mormad
Really nice collection!
barnburner
very nice
RvaWolf
Love the fact that most of the bottles are opened. See too many pics where the shelves are full of unopened trophies. Bourbon is meant to be drank! Cheers to you!
Mormad
There's some Dickel 15 yr single barrel in sunset beach. Anybody with any input on that one?
pack95
packgrad said:

SexualChocolate said:

Looks like you're not far from needing another one.

Could be making some serious interest if the money spent on that stash was invested properly. But you probably don't need money if you can afford that stash.

Enjoying some pappy as I type.
wilmwolf
Mormad said:

There's some Dickel 15 yr single barrel in sunset beach. Anybody with any input on that one?

I like it a lot. You either like Dickel or hate it, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground. I think their product benefits from the extra time in the barrel to mellow out the high corn content and remove the mineral (vitamin) note that so many people hate. For the price, you won't find anything else in the 15 year category.
barnburner
Picked up an Old Ezra 7 yr barrel strength last night.... never saw it before.
SexualChocolate
burnbarn said:

Picked up an Old Ezra 7 yr barrel strength last night.... never saw it before.

If you like high proof, then this is for you. It does not taste as hot as you think for a barrel strength though.
wilmwolf
Ezra 7 is pretty good. The Ezra 99 is also worth a try from the bottom shelf. Good cocktail bourbon.
st8ofdenial
Well...
Work and family duties caused me to miss out at the Youngsville ABC Store opening. It was a raffle entry, so by the time I showed up at 10am (1hr after opening) They still had 1/2 the crowd waiting to go in. I estimate it was 150 people still waiting. Buddy of mine scored a Wellers 12. Said 2 guys before him got the last Wellers CYPB
wilmwolf
I'm back on some Kentucky spirit tonight
SexualChocolate
wilmwolf80 said:

I'm back on some Kentucky spirit tonight

I also had some KY Spirit last night. Never tried it until you mentioned it. My bottle is great! Drinking Belle Meade Reserve tonight. Love it and glad it's somewhat easy to get.
wilmwolf
In their early days five or six years ago, Belle Meade had their hands on some really honey MGP barrels. I've got a few of their old single barrels that are amazing.
Bell Tower Grey
Got into some Contradiction last night for the first time. Not enough to make it a bad morning here, thankfully. It's not a bad drink. I'll buy that again.
st8ofdenial
Buddy just got a promotion, so we are heading to KY to celebrate this weekend. Staying in Frankfort, most of the tours look to be booked, we are on some waiting list. Planning on hitting gift shops and stores. Any recommendations that area are must hit for good hunting?
wilmwolf
Honestly, bourbon hunting in Kentucky isn't super great, other than some brands that aren't carried in NC. Even if you can't do the tours, go the the gift shops. You can typically get something good at Buffalo Trace and the Heaven Hill Experience. Woodford also typically has gift shop only releases. If you can make it to either location of Justin's House Of Bourbon you need to go there also.
wolfpack1437
st8ofdenial said:

Buddy just got a promotion, so we are heading to KY to celebrate this weekend. Staying in Frankfort, most of the tours look to be booked, we are on some waiting list. Planning on hitting gift shops and stores. Any recommendations that area are must hit for good hunting?
I was there recently. Stopped on the way back from the CWS. The Buffalo Trace gift shop has different offerings depending on the day (apparently it's random). I was able to grab Blatons, BT, and EHT at the shop on the morning I visited. If you are vaccinated bring your card, otherwise BT requires a mask.
READ
Has anyone tried Bardstown? It is a new fusion bourbon and its pretty tasty. On its website it mentions a tour as well as a culinary experience. It looks like a new trendy spot for tasting.

As for hunting, I have an in with the local ABC board. My cousins wife runs it and she will let me know when she gets new stuff in. I was talking to a young man that works at the main store and he was bragging about not having to buy anything off of the shelf. He said he has so much accumulated that he doesn't drink a bottle unless he has a replacement, that he had 3 bottles of Elmer T Lee just sitting there along with much more....smh!
wilmwolf
READ said:

Has anyone tried Bardstown? It is a new fusion bourbon and its pretty tasty. On its website it mentions a tour as well as a culinary experience. It looks like a new trendy spot for tasting.

As for hunting, I have an in with the local ABC board. My cousins wife runs it and she will let me know when she gets new stuff in. I was talking to a young man that works at the main store and he was bragging about not having to buy anything off of the shelf. He said he has so much accumulated that he doesn't drink a bottle unless he has a replacement, that he had 3 bottles of Elmer T Lee just sitting there along with much more....smh!
Unfortunately, that's how the ABC works. Good for you for having a connection. As to the Fusion, I picked up a bottle and liked it. It's a little overpriced for what it is, but so is everything else, so I probably shouldn't complain.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.