All things Bourbon

283,935 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
wolfpackfan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Found the Early Times BIB at Pavilion Liquor. I've been looking all over in NC and coLindt find it. I'm going to try Total Wine tomorrow.
SexualChocolate
wolfpackfan04 said:

Found the Early Times BIB at Pavilion Liquor. I've been looking all over in NC and coLindt find it. I'm going to try Total Wine tomorrow.

That is awesome! It is so good for the value.
wilmwolf
burnbarn said:

Wanna know what's sad? Stopped by the store and they had Eagle Rare today for the first time in months and I was excited about it. This bourbon stuff has gotten crazy!
Yup. It really has turned me off of it. Buffalo Trace was my favorite distillery for a long time, but their (and by they I mean the distillery, their parent company Sazerac, and the distributors) inability to keep their baseline products on the shelves really has grown frustrating. I get that I can't walk into a store off the street and find Pappy, or even Blanton's, but there is no reason you shouldn't be able to find Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, and Col EH Taylor in every store. Some of that is on the people that hoard those things, of which I am a reformed former guilty party, but it's really gotten out of hand. I don't know what the answer is, and I know they are continuing to increase capacity, but it's really pushed me towards other brands.
Civilized
Spent all day at UNC taking Mom to an outpatient procedure over there. Gotta have someone with her until tomorrow morning so I'm on her couch watching Syracuse and Clemson and eating salt and pepper peanuts while sipping on the Evan I dug out of her cabinet.

Cheers to the Cheats getting worked tonight, and also to the damn good doctors over at UNC Hospital.

Happy Friday folks!
Mormad
Nice collection going.
kbdavis33
Mormad said:

Nice collection going.

I'll say haha
wilmwolf
That's how it starts...
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
WolfpackCPA
Going to guess not in NC as I can never seem to find Sazerac and never heard a story of anybody finding Weller 12.

SexualChocolate
WolfpackCPA said:

Going to guess not in NC as I can never seem to find Sazerac and never heard a story of anybody finding Weller 12.

You can find Sazarac 6 yr in Virginia. Virginia is nice in that each store tracks their inventory and you can see exactly where bottles are located. Doing a quick search and I found 12 bottles in the state. Weller 12 is usually a lottery item in most counties but have seen bottles get released in NC but usually near the Outer Banks and around Ahoskie. Good Luck!
WolfpackCPA
SexualChocolate said:

WolfpackCPA said:

You can find Sazarac 6 yr in Virginia. Virginia is nice in that each store tracks their inventory and you can see exactly where bottles are located. Doing a quick search and I found 12 bottles in the state. Weller 12 is usually a lottery item in most counties but have seen bottles get released in NC but usually near the Outer Banks and around Ahoskie. Good Luck!

Actually used to live in VA and loved the bottle tracking system. So I could see if it was worth my time going to the store or if they had anything I was interested in. Would still go periodically to pick up other bottles.

Also if stores don't sells out the lottery items they will release to the general public after a certain number of days. You can use this to pick up pappy and BTAC but gotta be close to the store folks to know the release dates. Somebody beat me to the store for a bottle of GTS.
wilmwolf
I find a bottle or two of Sazerac a year in NC stores. Typically pass because I have a couple, but it's out there. Passed on some in Southport around Christmas last year, and they had a shelf full. Weller 12 is in the holiday lotteries mostly. I hear a tale or two of people getting them in the wild in out of the way stores, but I've never seen them. The ones I have have all come from out of state. Up until about three years ago I used to get Old Weller antique regularly in NC, but that also is about the time I stopped looking really hard for most things. I know the OWA goes out quarterly now with the Blanton's and BT.
Mormad
I'm in central NC. It's that flaviar membership lol. Also have a buddy that does mule runs to Virginia every so often, and a couple of nice finds around here every so often.
TheStorm
Hell, even the bars and restaurants have to fight over Blanton's and Buffalo Trace down here right now, let alone a stray bottle make it onto the floor (although I do have an inside source)... but I can walk-in almost any day of the week and see a Booker's (although that might change once tourist season starts hitting full throttle here in a couple of weeks)...
SexualChocolate
Big Blantons drop today in Danville.
WolfpackCPA
Also NC ABC store delivery time are very inconsistent. Like if your deliver comes on Tuesday it would be nice if it was on the shelf before the store opened or put the stuff out the following morning.

Can't count the number of times I go to store on their delivery day and I am told the truck hasn't arrived yet.
SexualChocolate
Went VA this past weekend for a soccer tourney and bought a handle of JTS Brown for $20. Why search for the hard to get stuff when you can get this for that price.
st8ofdenial
Was able to try Wellers CYPB at a cigar bar in Vegas this weekend. It was very good. Too bad its so hard to find.
barnburner
Had a drop of Knob Creek 12 year in Wake Co last week.....and I missed it!
READ
Was able to pick up a bottle of CYPB this past year at my local store. That and Weller 12 are 2 of my favorites!

I saw a bottle in SC this past November for $499. I bought mine for around 50. It's hard to believe people will pay that for different bottles of bourbon?!?!
Bell Tower Grey
The Nash Street ABC store in Wilson has eight bottles of fae1 makers left. Their limited release 101 proof is also on sale now. I just grabbed one of each while I was there

*eta: Damn talk to text. Just sat down to where I could read the post.

wilmwolf
Nice pickup, still looking for one myself, though I'm not driving to Wilson for one, lol!
Mormad
SexualChocolate said:

Went VA this past weekend for a soccer tourney and bought a handle of JTS Brown for $20. Why search for the hard to get stuff when you can get this for that price.

I think JTS Brown is great at that price. Got a big bottle in my cabinet. Makes a great old fashioned
Mormad
Bell Tower Grey said:

The Nash Street ABC store in Wilson has eight bottles of fae1 makers left. They're limited release 101 proof just grabbed one of each while I was there

I have yet to try either of my bottles of these, but I've heard great things.Let me know what you think.
SexualChocolate
Had some business in Newport today and my dumbass did not stop in Kinston. They had OWA, Smoke Wagon and Michter's Barrel Strength. Did stop in EI, Cape Carteret and Swansboro after and bought a few Eagle Rare, a 1792 Full Proof for friends. I did find a Bardstown Discovery Series which I heard was awesome but at $134 a bottle, I was skeptical, but it is really good. Almost BTAC good. I also found a single bottle of Sazarac Rye in Cape Carteret.
Bigbahgz
Try the Stonehenge store in Wake tomorrow if you're looking for KC12. I picked one up about 5 today and they were just putting them out.
SexualChocolate
Bigbahgz said:

Try the Stonehenge store in Wake tomorrow if you're looking for KC12. I picked one up about 5 today and they were just putting them out.

Thanks!
Bell Tower Grey
Mormad said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

The Nash Street ABC store in Wilson has eight bottles of fae1 makers left. They're limited release 101 proof just grabbed one of each while I was there

I have yet to try either of my bottles of these, but I've heard great things.Let me know what you think.
I am going back tomorrow for another bottle or two of each. Having our 5 and 3 year old grandchildren here since yesterday, until either tomorrow or possibly Saturday, has forced my hand into opening one of them.

I opened the 101 proof tonight and I like it. Has a little heat on the front end but mellows out nicely. Reminds me a lot of 46. Poured about 4 fingers deep with 2 small cubes of ice to start. Will be going neat the rest of the night tonight.

I'm saving the FAE01. After dating for 3 years, my oldest son just bought his girlfriend a diamond. They are in the process of buying a house, and he plans to give her the ring once they have signed the papers at closing. What he doesn't know is we are going to be there as well, and toast them with the FAE.
SexualChocolate
Congratulations!! What a wonderful way to celebrate a great moment. Cheers!
Mormad
Nice haul in Hilton Head
wilmwolf
Nice
Bell Tower Grey
Mormad said:

Nice haul in Hilton Head

Interested in your opinion of the 114 Old Grandad.

And wilm, for the housewarming gift, I picked up a bottle of Isaac Bowman Port Barrel finish. He didn't open the thing until the next weekend, but says he likes it a lot. Guess I'll pick one up for myself just to try it out.
wilmwolf
Nice. I've only tried that one at a friend's house, but I thought it was pretty good. The John. J. Bowman is one of my favorites these days if you can find it.
SexualChocolate
OG114 to me is one the best kept secrets. I had a buddy who swears by it. I finally bought a bottle and will definitely buy again. If you like high proof then for the money, this is great to keep in the cabinet. I also liked the Belle Meade Reserve you got but I love almost every MGP sourced products.
barnburner
Garvis mentioned on another thread about having 3 pours tonight in honor of Ole Roy stepping aside. I think I am going to start with a Bookers. How about y'all?
wilmwolf
Know a lot of people that like OGD 114. I prefer the bottled in bond, but I'm not really a high proof guy. OGD BIB and Evan Williams BIB are two of my top ranked bottom shelve buys. If those are all I had to drink the rest of my life, I wouldn't complain.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.