All things Bourbon

284,604 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
OneOpinion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AlleyPack said:

My folks gave me a bottle of Angel's Envy for Christmas -- very nice!
Anyone else get anything of note as a gift?
I got Barrel Bourbon batch 24. No idea what to expect (really don't know much about the company) but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
wilmwolf
That's a good batch. I like what they do. They source mature bourbon from Tennessee (Dickel), Indiana (MGP), and Kentucky (Barton most likely), and blend them. I used to think it was too expensive, but the price of bourbon has kind of increased around them, and for something like that batch that has 9-15 year bourbon in it, it's actually not that expensive.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
barnburner
A friend gave me a Mississippi bourbon, Old Soul. He is a guy that has at least 100 bottles and says this is his favorite.. trying it now. Merry Christmas!!
brickturner
Was gifted Uncle Nearest 1884. Don't think I've had anything to compare it to. Jury still out. Almost getting a taste of chocolate.
statefan91
Per this thread - one of my Christmas requests
barnburner
statefan91 said:

Per this thread - one of my Christmas requests

feel like I am seeing a ghost!! Enjoy!
Civilized

A little bourbon buffet on Christmas morning.

Cracked into the Maker's tonight. Tasty!

Hope y'all are enjoying your Christmases!
WolfpackCPA
Actually was able to grab a couple stagg jrs this week, been one of my cooler bottle picks in 2020.
waynecountywolf
Anyone used a Flaviar subscription?
Sierrawolf
Watching this for feedback on Flaviar. I was looking into it as well.
waynecountywolf
Not sure if the 6 month membership will "pay for itself" but it was a nice gift and good way to sample before buying a larger bottle.

Just ordered and has shipped my first order a full bottle of Sagamore Straight Rye and the Flaviar Members Box with these 50 ml samples:
Breckenridge Bourbon, Few Rye Whiskey, and Wolfburn Morven Scotch.

Looking around some of their full fifths like Elijah Craig and Four Roses were very reasonable -both $23, $28 for BT (think you have to order $60 for free shipping).
Mormad
I've been a flaviar member and i enjoy it. You won't really save money, and there are desirable bottles they simply can't get for you. That said, there are tons of spirits to choose from with most of what you'd want, and it makes trying new things and stocking up on your faves as easy as clicking a button. The bottles show up pretty fast once ordered.

I like being able to read the history of every spirit, descriptions of how they'll smell, taste, and finish, and the flavor spirals are really cool.
WolfpackCPA
Anybody had any luck finding bourbon in Mexico? Heading to Cabo today and was going to see if I could find some of Blanton varieties which are not typically available in the US.

Although this year they did release Blanton's Gold but looking for a SFTB as well.

I spent about a hour reading TripAdvisor but most of the articles were like a decade old.
READ
Check out the duty free stores in the airports. Usually larger hubs have decent selections. I have had success finding Blanton's, Weller and several others. I would buy a bottle for my trip and stick the leftover in my bag.

Was in the Turks last year and found good bourbons on that trip as well.
wilmwolf
I got Blanton's in the duty free the last time I went to Mexico. That was also 14 years ago, so YMMV.
WolfpackCPA
Appreciate the feedback the store coming out of the airport was tiny but hoping for a better selection leaving.

Worse case I will just pick up a few bottles of Cuban rum. I enjoy sipping the aged rum just like bourbon.
CLA327
I'm with you Wolfpack CPA; imo, you could cut fine cuban rum with worn shoe leather and still have a tasty cocktail. I was gifted a couple bottles of Santiago de Cuba a year or so ago and it ain't ever bad........
OneOpinion
wilmwolf80 said:

That's a good batch. I like what they do. They source mature bourbon from Tennessee (Dickel), Indiana (MGP), and Kentucky (Barton most likely), and blend them. I used to think it was too expensive, but the price of bourbon has kind of increased around them, and for something like that batch that has 9-15 year bourbon in it, it's actually not that expensive.
Salud, Brother!
wilmwolf
Happy new year!
Mormad
Bell Tower Grey
With that being said, I am 110 percent committed to uncorking a new bottle of Makers 46 tonight as I await my covid test result. Respect my decision. All glory to God.

While I might not be able to taste it that won't stop it from working.

wilmwolf
I respect that decision. 46 is good bourbon. I like the wood flavors the they bring in with the staves without making it overly oaky. I actually can't drink regular Maker's anymore because 46 and it's variants have spoiled me.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

I respect that decision. 46 is good bourbon. I like the wood flavors the they bring in with the staves without making it overly oaky. I actually can't drink regular Maker's anymore because 46 and it's variants have spoiled me.
With you on the 46. It is my house pour now. Mrs. BTG has also noticed the difference between that and regular Maker's. She, too, now wants 46 instead in the house.
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

With that being said, I am 110 percent committed to uncorking a new bottle of Makers 46 tonight as I await my covid test result. Respect my decision. All glory to God.

Well done, friend.

I think I need to take my talents to the ABC store and grab another bottle of 46.
Bell Tower Grey
Civilized said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Well done, friend.

I think I need to take my talents to the ABC store and grab another bottle of 46.
Give credit to 80...borrowed his line from a thread on the sports board (transfers, maybe) and modified it to suit. He respected the decision.
wilmwolf
Maker's 46 Cask Strength tonight. To be honest, I like the regular version better.
Civilized
wilmwolf80 said:

Maker's 46 Cask Strength tonight. To be honest, I like the regular version better.

Is that because the reg version has something you respond more to, or because there's something about the cask strength you don't like quite as much?
wilmwolf
I think at cask strength, which is ~15 proof higher, the wood notes from the staves become pretty overbearing. At regular proof the wood adds a toasty element that is very pleasant, but the higher proof really amplifies the bitter, tannic oak notes in a way I don't like.
GreeneGoblin
Just got a Glencairn glass and wow I'm impressed, never would have imagined such a difference with the higher proof stuff
wilmwolf
A friend gave me a sample of Chicken Cock small batch to try. I have seen a bunch of good reviews for it on the bourbon sites and had been wanting to try it but was leery of buying a bottle. I don't know what those guys were drinking, but what I had was pretty meh. It's not bad or anything, but it's $60 with no age statement for sourced whiskey, and that doesn't move my needle. If I want a bird on the bottle, I would rather just buy a handle of wild turkey and keep the change.
st8ofdenial
Just opened my bottle of 1792 Sweet Wheat....and that stuff is fantastic. Very Smooth.
Mormad
Turkey 101 has become my go-to
waynecountywolf
Sierrawolf said:

Ordered my 1st package I believe day after Christmas and it finally arrived today. Was supposed to sign for package due to alcohol content, but Fed ex driver just left it on the porch.
Several emails with Flaviar as to tracking as Flaviar showed it shipped the cpl days after I ordered, but it didnt ship until this week when I began tracked with Fedex. After it actually shipped it arrived in only a cpl days.

All bottles were packaged nicely, box included tasting note cards for each bottle,a Flaviar Times magazine and a Flaviar coaster.

vanuel
waynecountywolf said:

Sierrawolf said:

Ordered my 1st package I believe day after Christmas and it finally arrived today. Was supposed to sign for package due to alcohol content, but Fed ex driver just left it on the porch.
Several emails with Flaviar as to tracking as Flaviar showed it shipped the cpl days after I ordered, but it didnt ship until this week when I began tracked with Fedex. After it actually shipped it arrived in only a cpl days.

All bottles were packaged nicely, box included tasting note cards for each bottle,a Flaviar Times magazine and a Flaviar coaster.

Be interesting to see what you think about it
TheStorm
waynecountywolf said:

Sierrawolf said:

As I'm reading your post, I look to the RIGHT and I see a collection of bottles and something about a Whiskey Club, then I look above the bottles and see a logo saying Flavior... LOL. I'm getting tracked obviously.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.