All things Bourbon

286,216 Views | 2198 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by ncsupack1
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Never seen a product from them specifically called the 10 year, but I have had some private single barrels that were 9 or 10 years old and they were really good. Single barrels are of course hit or miss, but I'd put the last few John J. Bowman Single Barrels I've had over any of the Balton's I've had in the last 5-6 years. But don't tell anyone, it's already harder to find.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
CJwolf
I got lucky this morning at the Cary ABC and picked up an EC BP C923.
SexualChocolate
CJwolf said:

Stopped into Swansboro and they had the C923. Heard it was fantastic.
DJncsu13
CJwolf said:

we must of crossed paths. I was there this morning and got the same thing.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
stuartmcarthur5
CJwolf said:

In Asheville it's just sitting on the shelves. Saw like 8 bottles just sitting.
TheStorm
SexualChocolate said:

CJwolf said:

Sneaky good ABC store location for better bottles... especially starting around this time of the year.
SexualChocolate
TheStorm said:

SexualChocolate said:

CJwolf said:

Sneaky good ABC store location for better bottles... especially starting around this time of the year.

Their selection is up there with Youngsville and it's a great honey hole for allocated stuff.
DJncsu13
High West released their Midwinter Night's Dram Act 11 this week. I picked up a bottle of Act 9 online a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Has anyone ever seen it in a NC ABC store?
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
wilmwolf
DJncsu13 said:

High West released their Midwinter Night's Dram Act 11 this week. I picked up a bottle of Act 9 online a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Has anyone ever seen it in a NC ABC store?
Yes, it used to be fairly readily available around this time of year in NC, but I think the last time I saw it just sitting on a shelf was probably three years ago here in Wilmington. I think some areas have included it in with the other allocated/lottery stuff of late. As with all bourbon-ish things these days, it varies a lot from one part of the state to the other. If I happen across one this year I'll shoot you a message.
barnburner
Cracked a Makers 46 last night I got over the summer. I'm not a big Makers fan but that is a nice bottle of bourbon. Look forward to more during the game tonight
wilmwolf
46 is pretty much the only Makers I drink. It's a good pour.
JumboPack
I really like the Makers 46 cask strength.

What is the crowd drinking tonight for the game? I am looking at making some old fashioned drinks again. Probably with Mitchers Rye.
wilmwolf
Probably having some Elijah Craig during the game. How many will depend on the game. Lol.
JumboPack
wilmwolf80 said:

Probably having some Elijah Craig during the game. How many will depend on the game. Lol.
I'm gonna be stumbling by the end of this game
Captain Chaos
Anybody tried the second amendment straight bourbon? Saw it for $114 in a local store but couldn't bring myself to buy it.
AlleyPack
After a so-so day at work, I'm not sure there's much better than Eagle Rare over a couple of ice cubes.

(there's plenty of good fill-ins, but the ER did the trick tonight)
wilmwolf
Despite the craze for all things Buffalo Trace, I feel like Eagle Rare is fairly under appreciated. It may not be flashy, but ten years is a good age for bourbon and it's relatively inexpensive.
barnburner
^ and available at times
SexualChocolate
Captain Chaos said:

Anybody tried the second amendment straight bourbon? Saw it for $114 in a local store but couldn't bring myself to buy it.

I was picking up Thai food by Hoppy Endings and they did not have it. Wanted to try a pour b4 buying a bottle. Hoppy Endings has everything so that was a surprise. Had to settle for trying Bookers 23/03 Apprentice batch. Thought is Ok but I would not pay over $100+ for that Bookers.
CJwolf
Bringing this to the top. Need more bourbon chat. Where are we getting allocated bourbon in NC? I found a Larceny barrel proof, buff trace, and a EC toasted barrel at a little shop on 70 in Durham.
DJncsu13
Which larceny release was it?
curmudgeon.zen
Scored a Woodford Master's Collection 19 and an Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel yesterday.
Log off. Go outside.
TheStorm
Opened a Knob Creek, Single Barrel Reserve (9 Year) 120 Proof for the game yesterday... quite tasty.
barnburner
TheStorm said:

Opened a Knob Creek, Single Barrel Reserve (9 Year) 120 Proof for the game yesterday... quite tasty.
To me, this is one of the best values in the market..
SexualChocolate
TheStorm said:

I agree, I thought it was quite tasty.
stuartmcarthur5
I got lucky today and stopped by the local ABC and got a bottle of 1792 Full Proof and Elijah Craig 0
Private Barrel. Excited about trying both bottles
CJwolf
stuartmcarthur5 said:

I got lucky today and stopped by the local ABC and got a bottle of 1792 Full Proof and Elijah Craig 0
What County? I have never seen any 1792 on the shelves other than small batch in NC...
stuartmcarthur5
CJwolf said:

stuartmcarthur5 said:

What County? I have never seen any 1792 on the shelves other than small batch in NC...

Henderson County in particular the Fletcher, NC ABC
wilmwolf
I've gotten 1792 single barrel and full proof on the shelf at various places in NC. Sometimes the full proof gets thrown in with the allocated stuff depending on location. I'm not a huge fan of that Barton flavor profile, so I normally don't pay it much attention, but it's out there.
statefan91
Anyone have a top 5 of Bourbons to look for when randomly going into ABC stores? I have liked things like Jefferson's Reserve, Woodford, Eagle Rare
stuartmcarthur5
statefan91 said:

Anyone have a top 5 of Bourbons to look for when randomly going into ABC stores? I have liked things like Jefferson's Reserve, Woodford, Eagle Rare

My top five would be Michters Small Batch, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, Russels 10, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Four Roses Small Batch Select
wilmwolf
That's a pretty good list of things you can actually find in stores.
SexualChocolate
I have too much in my cabinet but for the stuff you can get that I like is as follows

Eagle Rare(it's a little hard but I see it in stores often enough)
Woodford Double Oak
Knob Creek 9 year
Virgin 101 proof
Early Times(can find it sometimes)
Old Grand Dad 114 proof
curmudgeon.zen
Scored again yesterday

2XO Tribute Blend
Booker's Storyteller Batch
Knob Creek 12 yr

They also had a Bardstown Discovery. Heading back up there to see if by some miracle it's still on the shelf. If so, she's a comin' home with this guy...
Log off. Go outside.
curmudgeon.zen
statefan91 said:

Of (somewhat) readily availables, I'd recommend the following:

• Wild Turkey Rare Breed
  • Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style
  • Old Forester 1910 Old Fine Whiskey
  • Knob Creek 12 Year
  • Knob Creek 9 Year Single Barrel
  • Wild Turkey 101
  • Henry McKenna 10 Year Single Barrel Bottled in Bond
  • Maker's Mark Cask Strength
  • Elijah Craig Small Batch
  • Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof
Log off. Go outside.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.