All things Bourbon

283,927 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
AlleyPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SexualChocolate said:

Haha, yea I don't get out a lot but was picking up takeout in the same parking lot. I cringe every time I buy a pour knowing my open bottles are at home.

I drink my bourbon at home ---- so out of curiosity, how much (quantity wise) is a pour at one of these places?
Two ounces, four ounces, etc.?

Thanks
SexualChocolate
It's a 2oz pour if I'm not mistaken.

wilmwolf
Bar drinking is good for trying things you haven't had or can't normally get, but even in my younger partying days I never was much into bars. It's better now that you can't smoke inside, but I still prefer doing my drinking at home. I have been to a couple of bourbon and cocktail bars that were pretty neat though . More than anything I miss having people over and everyone bringing a bottle and trying stuff, that's my favorite way to enjoy bourbon.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Mormad
Totally agree.

I'm trying to be a discerning drinker, but it's very difficult for me. I can tell the difference between 2 pours side by side, but i can't say one is vanilla, berries, and pepper with a leather finish and one is caramel, apple pie, and spices with a tobacco finish. Like i can tell the difference between batch 024 and 026 of barrell bourbon, but it's more like one is spicier than the other. Lol, is that just bullsht or can you really do that???

I just compared WT spirit single barrel to four roses small batch select, and they're different i guess, but i can't write a review explaining it.
Mormad
And why do i love a sweet old fashioned and sweet caramel wheaters on one hand, and ryes that bite completely neat on the other???
wilmwolf
I can pick out a lot of things if I'm really sitting down to do that. I do think a lot of the tasting notes from some of the so called experts are BS. I've drank as much bourbon as anyone, and I just laugh at some of it. I pretty much break stuff into two categories, things I would drink again and things I wouldn't. Outside of that, I'm not looking for notes of creme brulee or baking spice or whatever.
Daviewolf83
This is a fascinating thread. I am not a bourbon drinker and I did not realize there was such a culture around it. I just might have to go buy a bottle and give it a try. On my drive up I-75 to Louisville this past December for my son's football game, we passed a lot of signs for the different distilleries. I assume a lot of people make the drive and try to visit a lot of the distilleries in the area. Similar to a wine drinker visiting Napa Valley to visit lots of wineries.

Any recommendations for someone to start out? I am not a fan of rye at all, so I think I would prefer a corn mash bourbon to start. I would love some ideas from the more experienced bourbon drinkers as to a good place to start.
wilmwolf
Well, the highest corn you can get would be George Dickel, which though they call themselves Tennessee whiskey they meet all the legal definitions of bourbon. But I'm not sure that's where I would have you start as it can be polarizing. I would probably say start with the classics. I would recommend starting the middle to bottom shelf and pretty low on proof. Woodford, Four Roses yellow label, Elijah Craig, Maker's Mark, Jim Beam, Wild turkey. Go with stuff that comes in airplane bottle size so there isn't much investment. I don't think you have to start out trying them neat unless you really want to. Mix it with Coke, add ice, add water, whatever makes it most approachable to you. There's no wrong way. For me, most of those classic expressions, though all different, will get you in the sweet spot of quintessential bourbon flavors, your brown sugar, caramel, cinnamon, citrus, cherry, a little bit of oak. To me those flavors are where the appeal of bourbon starts.

Also, while you may not like rye as a stand alone, which I understand as I typically don't either, as an ingredient in bourbon it can be a little different. For example, Wild Turkey advertises their product as "High Rye", but it only makes up 13% of the mash bill, with 12% malted barley and the rest corn. So in that context, you're still dealing with mostly corn. I'm the context of most bourbon mash bills, rye is merely a secondary flavoring, and can really balance the finished product if done correctly.
Civilized
wilmwolf80 said:

I can pick out a lot of things if I'm really sitting down to do that. I do think a lot of the tasting notes from some of the so called experts are BS. I've drank as much bourbon as anyone, and I just laugh at some of it. I pretty much break stuff into two categories, things I would drink again and things I wouldn't. Outside of that, I'm not looking for notes of creme brulee or baking spice or whatever.

LOL, I like that sorting system.

I'm sipping off my infinity bottle tonight. Thats definitely in the "would drink again" pile.

Happ Friday y'all!
wilmwolf
wilmwolf
Civilized said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I'm sipping off my infinity bottle tonight. Thats definitely in the "would drink again" pile.

Happ Friday y'all!

I try to keep it simple. I definitely have levels in my head, but to sit down and say it's a 7.5 has never interested me. Tastes are so subjective, and my own tastes change so much from day to day even. I try to see the value in most things, even if it isn't for my own personal tastes, if it's put together well, I'm not going to say something is bad just because I don't like it. The infinity bottle is so much fun and mine at least always tastes pretty good, which seems weird since I do it pretty haphazardly. Keep on sipping and have a good weekend!
Civilized
wilmwolf80 said:

Civilized said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Happ Friday y'all!

I try to keep it simple. I definitely have levels in my head, but to sit down and say it's a 7.5 has never interested me. Tastes are so subjective, and my own tastes change so much from day to day even. I try to see the value in most things, even if it isn't for my own personal tastes, if it's put together well, I'm not going to say something is bad just because I don't like it. The infinity bottle is so much fun and mine at least always tastes pretty good, which seems weird since I do it pretty haphazardly. Keep on sipping and have a good weekend!

Makes sense for sure.

Although my palate is highly unrefined I find that it also changes by season. What I'm looking to cozy up to in the winter is much different than what I'm looking to sip on when it's balmy outside.
Daviewolf83
wilmwolf80 said:

Well, the highest corn you can get would be George Dickel, which though they call themselves Tennessee whiskey they meet all the legal definitions of bourbon. But I'm not sure that's where I would have you start as it can be polarizing. I would probably say start with the classics. I would recommend starting the middle to bottom shelf and pretty low on proof. Woodford, Four Roses yellow label, Elijah Craig, Maker's Mark, Jim Beam, Wild turkey. Go with stuff that comes in airplane bottle size so there isn't much investment. I don't think you have to start out trying them neat unless you really want to. Mix it with Coke, add ice, add water, whatever makes it most approachable to you. There's no wrong way. For me, most of those classic expressions, though all different, will get you in the sweet spot of quintessential bourbon flavors, your brown sugar, caramel, cinnamon, citrus, cherry, a little bit of oak. To me those flavors are where the appeal of bourbon starts.

Also, while you may not like rye as a stand alone, which I understand as I typically don't either, as an ingredient in bourbon it can be a little different. For example, Wild Turkey advertises their product as "High Rye", but it only makes up 13% of the mash bill, with 12% malted barley and the rest corn. So in that context, you're still dealing with mostly corn. I'm the context of most bourbon mash bills, rye is merely a secondary flavoring, and can really balance the finished product if done correctly.
Thanks Wilmwolf. This is very helpful information and I do plan to try a couple of the ones you recommend. I found several articles that said Maker's Mark is a good place to start and the Elijah Craig also seems like it might appeal to my taste, based on some information I found on the web. Will definitely get them in the mini bottle format first, since it is a good, inexpensive way to try several out before investing more.
SexualChocolate
Really good advice by Wilm here. I like to try every bourbon I get neat to try to get the true flavors. I adjust with a cube if necessary based on the proof.
Mormad
SexualChocolate said:

Really good advice by Wilm here. I like to try every bourbon I get neat to try to get the true flavors. I adjust with a cube if necessary based on the proof.

I do the same. Some I'll only enjoy neat, others i think are great OF mixers, others are great with a splash of water or big ice. I especially like drinking with a buddy and trying different bourbons neat and trying different variations of OF "recipes" (usually the same ingredients in varying amounts)
SexualChocolate
Yea, I love experimenting with an OF. I really like Ryes and prefer a Rye OF. Some of my favorite Ryes that are must buys.

Old Forester Rye(#1 Rye for my basic OF, if see in ABC buy)
Knob Creek 115 Proof Store Pick from Anywhere(Neat is still great)
Rare Breed Barrel Proof Rye(If see in ABC buy)
Willet Any Year(Not in ABC but in travel, buy)

Some to get in Easier at ABC
Michters Rye
Pikesville
Old Overholt

Love Whistle Pig since I get that pickle juice taste but not for an OF but I do like piggyback for a OF.

Bell Tower Grey
After procrastinating too long, actually just forgetting about it, I started a new infinity bottle tonight with what was left in the bottom of an ECSB bottle. I'll let y'all know how it's going in a couple of months. I should have my ass kicked for not doing it sooner, since this is where I learned about it, months ago. I should be shot with several Maker's 46 corks from a paintball gun for being so slack.
Mormad
1 shot Sazarac rye, 1/3 shot simple syrup, 6 shakes ginger bitters, small spot of cherry juice.

Liking the rye in an OF
wilmwolf
Looks nice. Sazerac is one of the handful of ryes I like to keep on hand.
Bell Tower Grey
Love the highball glass. Mind sharing where you got it from?
Mormad
My bride thinks she got them from fanatics.com. Have also seen them at Belks.
SexualChocolate
Finally got a bottle of Smoke Wagon Small Batch and I am really impressed. It is something that I would buy again anytime. Think it was $65.
wilmwolf
I've got a few of theirs and it's definitely a good representation of good MGP sourced bourbon. A great looking bottle also. I believe that their line is now available in NC on special order, so anyone interested should ask their store to order it.
Mormad
SexualChocolate said:

Yea, I love experimenting with an OF. I really like Ryes and prefer a Rye OF. Some of my favorite Ryes that are must buys.

Old Forester Rye(#1 Rye for my basic OF, if see in ABC buy)
Knob Creek 115 Proof Store Pick from Anywhere(Neat is still great)
Rare Breed Barrel Proof Rye(If see in ABC buy)
Willet Any Year(Not in ABC but in travel, buy)

Some to get in Easier at ABC
Michters Rye
Pikesville
Old Overholt

Love Whistle Pig since I get that pickle juice taste but not for an OF but I do like piggyback for a OF.

Drove up to Madison and grabbed a bottle of the wild turkey barrel proof rye. I'm a turkey fan. I've tried it neat and toned it down in an OF. I really like it even at 112.5, but i think i prefer the WP 12 and the sazarac. Wanna try the templeton. May try to find that this weekend.
Misterree
I have 3 neighbors who are into bourbon as well as myself. One of them travels for work so he looks for bourbons when he is out. Lately he has found me a Dickel BIB, Larceny barrel proof and an Old Bardstown Estate proof. I am spending way too much money on bourbon but I really enjoy it.
Mormad
Yep. My wife doesn't get it, but to her credit she doesn't give me too much sht about it. I thinks it's fun.
Mormad

packgrad
Mormad said:

Hahaha. My wife almost got me that same shirt. Edit... she got herself one similar, but replace "bourbon and my smoker" with "dog".
SexualChocolate
Sipping on another new one. Alberta Cask Strength Rye. It's gotten a little hype. It is hot but tasty.
packgrad
Started the dual tonight with WT OFs. Switched to Knob Creek. Lost the tiebreaker so Knob Creek is dead to me.
wilmwolf
I passed on that one this past week. Topping Jim Murray's list, I'm sure it will become scarce. Even though I don't like rye, based on some of the reviews I've read it seems like one I might like, so I'll probably pick one up if it's still there.
SexualChocolate
I've had many ryes and this might be one of the best I've had. I went out today and bought two more bottles.

Here is a good article on it.

https://uproxx.com/life/alberta-premium-cask-strength-rye-review/
TraCha4
What's your thoughts on Buffalo Trace? Had some last night for the first time in many years. I had forgotten how smooth it was.
Mormad
TraCha4 said:

What's your thoughts on Buffalo Trace? Had some last night for the first time in many years. I had forgotten how smooth it was.

It's one of my very faves and one of the few i keep multiple bottles hanging around. Smooth caramel. I can't believe it's so inexpensive. And i really can't believe how i cherish it and save it for special occasions and feel it's sacrilege to mix it. Like its Pappy or something.
TraCha4
Glad to hear. I caught myself thinking several times last night that damn this is good. Assuming I can find it, I will be buying me two bottles today ( Super Bowl & Daytona 500).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.