All things Bourbon

284,579 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Been looking at some Weller's. Thoughts?
wilmwolf
Nice. I'm a big Old Fashioned fan.

As for Weller, it's one of my favorites. Special Reserve is a good every day wheater, especially if you're in Texas or somewhere it's readily available for in the $25 range. Old Weller Antique is one of my all timers. I miss the days when it was always available and under $30. It competes very well against Old Rip Van Winkle and Pappy 15 in a blind testing. I had a hard time telling them apart. Weller 12 is a very good pour. It's not quite equally as good as it is hard to come by, but it's very good. William Larue Weller from the antique collection is one of the few bourbons I would pay many times retail for. I have had it once and it was amazing. I have a friend with one, but he's unwilling to part with it. In general, I really like the Weller line, although the association with Pappy has driven the market for them above what they really should be and what they were intended to be.
Mormad
Awesome. Was looking at the special reserve as it seems a nice contrast from the Whistlepig rye I've been sipping.
barnburner
I like the Bowman single as well... A very nice pour.
Where does one find Wellers in NC?
wilmwolf
My house? Lol. NC gets old Weller antique a couple of times a year. Most stores put it out for the general public, but if you aren't there when it's delivered, you aren't getting it. Too many truck followers these days. Just a few years back I never had a difficult time finding it, but that, like everything bourbon, has changed. I've never seen Weller special reserve in NC, and I'm not sure we're even on the distribution list. When I've gotten it it's been from out of state. Weller 12 and WLW mostly end up in the allocated lotteries, if they aren't given to friends or special customers first.
Sierrawolf
Just cracked into a bottle of Woodford Double Oaked. I know it's not for everyone but it's about as close to dessert as it gets for me.
WolfpackCPA
Agree on the Weller points in certain states it is sitting on the shelf. I have never come across a Weller 12, full proof, or CYPB.
wilmwolf
Tonight having WB Saffell, which is a Campari product made using Wild Turkey juice. It's very good, one of the better bourbons I've had in the last few years. Some bourbon sites have said it was better than Pappy. I don't know about that, but it is good. As far as I know, it has not been available in NC, but it is in SC. Downside is it only comes in pint bottles, and it's $50 a pint. It's good enough that I went back and bought a few more after my first bottle. If you s see it, and you like Turkey, I recommend picking it up.
barnburner
Will keep my eyes open for it but doubt I will see it here in Wake.
BTW, I did the side by side w Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare last night... the aging process is quite pronounced on the finished product. Thanks for the heads up on that...
Mormad
Alright, I've found I'm not very discerning bourbon drinker, but I'm trying to learn. Thus far:

I really like Buffalo Trace, eagle rare and the Colonel, and in a flight it seemed the BT was a little smoother and sweeter, while the other two had a little more spice and burn, with the Colonel slightly spicier than ER.

I really like four roses small batch. Great with ice or in an old fashioned.

Blade and bow is nice

Not a huge fan of the old Forrester 1910. Better on ice than in an old fashioned. A little woody and brown

Larceny is ok, but seems a little flat and woody compared to the others. less bold. The more I drink of it the better it tastes lol.

Makers 46 is pretty good but I prefer BT

Overall, I can get the BT for 21 bucks and it's my favorite daily sipper I think. Really interested to drink more of the eagle rare as I think it'll be a go-to.

Really interested to try Weller's

wilmwolf
The spice you pick up on the older col Taylor and eagle rare is the tannins from the oak. Based on what you've said there, those older, more oak influenced ones don't seem to be your thing. It would make sense then that you didn't like the 1910, because it is rebarelled after original aging into another heavily charred barrel, so the oak influence is much higher. Now the interesting thing is that you like 46, which is a similar concept. However, Maker's is a wheater, which I find to be more mild and mellow than a rye heavy mash, so the extra wood there may be evened out by that fact. Keep tasting!
Mormad
Yup, it's interesting because I love ryes and I love scotch, and I thought I loved the double oaked WR. You'd think I'd like the tannins. It's only been one or two tastings... Gonna give it time and really try to learn.
Sierrawolf
I like the wheated flavor of Makers but need it with a little more bite. I personally love the 101 that I picked up in Kentucky because it has just the right amount of burn to it. The cask strength is also pretty tasty for the same reason and holds up better in an Old Fashioned or Manhattan.

My personal favorites are Henry McKenna 10 year and 1792 Full Proof but have a hard time finding them around Wake or Durham.
wilmwolf
If you do the math correctly, you can blend regular makers with the cask strength and make your own 101. Last year I also made a tasty blend of those two plus 46, the recipe is a few pages back in this thread.
brickturner
Guess we're all in kinda of daze?
New Baker's single barrel? I like. The one I've got.
Know it's probably been reviewed: EH Taylor small batch? Saw it. Had to have it.
wilmwolf
I like the new Baker's. Wish I could've found one of the 13 year old ones. Col Taylor is very good, one of my faves.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
brickturner
Thank you. Always appreciate your info.
barnburner
didnt realize there was a new 'Baker's... I just thought the bottle changed. I have not tasted the one I have.
wilmwolf
The only difference is that it's a single barrel product now instead of small batch. The one I have is better than the small batch version I've had previously, but obviously being a single barrel that might vary from bottle to bottle.
wilmwolf
Was browsing a local store today when someone came in and asked the cashier about Buffalo Trace, which happens most every time I'm in a store. I can't imagine how much the clerks hate answering that question. The lady today directed them to the Eagle Rare, but they passed. Don't get me wrong, I really like Buffalo Trace, but there's plenty of stuff in the store equally as good.
pluralitus
I don't doubt there's other bourbon that's better but I just want to try Buffalo Trace. Impossible for me to find and if I could find it just once I'd quit asking!
wilmwolf
Are Eagle Rare or Benchmark available where you are? Benchmark is a younger, sweeter product made with the same juice that is in Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare is a ten year old product of the same juice with more oak influence. Buffalo Trace falls in between the two flavor wise. It's funny to me actually because in my area, Eagle Rare is almost always available, and is arguably a superior product, but it's just Buffalo Trace that people want. If you live in NC, take a trip to SC, BT is normally plentiful there. There are also numerous places online where you can buy it who will ship to NC (even though it is against the law), if you are willing to pay a little premium to have it shipped. Such as here https://www.blackwellswines.com/search?q=buffalo
pluralitus
Well I'm pretty new to the bourbon game but BT is something I've always heard about but obviously can't find. Not sure about the accessibility of Eagle Rare or Benchmark in my area but I'll give it a look and report back. Thanks for the suggestions!
wilmwolf
That's perfectly understandable, given the hype around the brand, even non bourbon drinkers know about it and want to try it. I don't fault anyone for wanting it, even though it is ridiculously over hyped at this point. On some level, it's a fairly huge failure with the distribution system and weird regional allocations that BT, or their parent company Sazerac have setup. They have increased production every year for the last decade it seems, but can't seem to keep their flagship product on the shelves. It would be like walking into the store and not being able to buy Jim Beam or Elijah Craig. If you're going to have a flagship product, it needs to be available to people without camping out overnight waiting for the delivery truck to show up.
wolfpack1437
I was cleaning out my grandparent's house today and found an unopened bottle of Ancient Age 10yr from 1980. I immediately cracked it and drank--- it was unbelievably good stuff.
wilmwolf
Damn. I've hunting dusties for a while and haven't come up with anything. My buddy has some early 80s Turkey that's literally the best bourbon I've ever had. I need to hit more estate sales when stuff opens back up.
wolfpack1437
I've had some 69 old crow chessman, 1984 OGD, and some 1990 Ancient Age--- the 1980 Ancient Age was better than all of them. Only the OGD was in the same league. I actually found the bottle in one of those 1950's cocktail picnic sets that came in a briefcase. Half the briefcase held 3 full 5ths of liquor and the other half had a metal shaker and 6 metal glasses. My grandfather also had a bottle of Vladimir vodka and J&B scotch from 80 in it, but those didn't interest me
wilmwolf
See, my problem is that I come from a family of teetotalers.
wolfpack1437
Haha, well mine definitely weren't. I've probably pulled 50 bottles from the house-- unfortunately all open and most spoiled until the recent find
Pacfanweb
Liquor spoils?
wilmwolf
Not in so many words, but it does start oxidizing once opened, which definitely changes how it tastes. Also the longer it's been open the greater the odds it could've been contaminated in some way. I would be leery of drinking a really old opened bottle that I didn't know the provenance of.
wolfpack1437
Pacfanweb said:

Liquor spoils?
Some of them had mold floating in the top from the rotted corks. Bourbon, for example, has the alcohol evaporate which leaves basically wood sludge from the oak barrel and water in the bottle
WolfpackCPA
Currently down in Wilmington due to Covid, went into the porters neck store today and lots of interesting finds sitting on the shelf. Excited to be here for an extended period and seeing the different products showing up here.

EC BP just sitting on the shelf and a hippie kiyee for reasonable price. Chatted with the cashier a little and he was explaining back in the day how weller and EH Taylor would just sit on the shelf.
wilmwolf
That's a good store. Check out the new Wrightsville Beach store while you're here, brand new with a large selection.
WolfpackCPA
So I actually went today and that place is amazing and huge. It would of taken me slightly less time if they didn't duplicate bottles in the bourbon section. I was actually able to grab some Kentucky Owl which I haven't seen in a store before. However, that was also in VA which could just receive a different allocation.

Also grabbed some BH 10 year rye just to try and round out my BH collection. Was told that the caribbean bottle is apparently being discontinued.

Four Roses SB is sitting on multiple stores shelves right now if people in the wilmington area are interested.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.