All things Bourbon

289,122 Views | 2198 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by ncsupack1
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They're always watching and listening
SexualChocolate
Finished off a Old Foresters 1910 last night. Probably my favorite of all the year batches and will buy again. I also finished the last of Whistle Pig Farmstock. To me ,I get a lot of hay even though it's not in the flavor profile. Probably will not buy again. Generally WP stuff is hit or miss for me. The regular WP 10 year has a slight pickle taste to me but everyone's palate is different.
PadowithzPack
I can't find the OF 1910 in Charlotte to save my life. I've thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the Whiskey Row series, but skipped over the 1910 for the 1920 and 1870 for my first purchase months ago. Now it's become a ghost.

BTW the 1920 is wonderful.
waynecountywolf
PadowithzPack said:

I can't find the OF 1910 in Charlotte to save my life. I've thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the Whiskey Row series, but skipped over the 1910 for the 1920 and 1870 for my first purchase months ago. Now it's become a ghost.

BTW the 1920 is wonderful.
$58.99 on Flaviar for Old Forrester 1910
I am just here for the conspiracy theories
wilmwolf
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit tonight. This one gets overlooked some because of price and lower proof than the Russell's Reserve, but some of the best Turkey I've had in the last few years has been Spirit. I try to pay attention to which warehouse it comes from, as they are all different and that is fun to see the differences. I've probably already said this in this thread, but they created KS as a direct competitor to Blanton's, and I frequently recommended it to people who are frustrated at not being able to find Blanton's. As with any single barrel, there's a lot of variance there, and I've gotten a few that weren't stellar, but more often than not, it's money.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit tonight. This one gets overlooked some because of price and lower proof than the Russell's Reserve, but some of the best Turkey I've had in the last few years has been Spirit. I try to pay attention to which warehouse it comes from, as they are all different and that is fun to see the differences. I've probably already said this in this thread, but they created KS as a direct competitor to Blanton's, and I frequently recommended it to people who are frustrated at not being able to find Blanton's. As with any single barrel, there's a lot of variance there, and I've gotten a few that weren't stellar, but more often than not, it's money.
You're right; it's one that I have overlooked. However, I will make a point to find it one day this week. Thanks.
vanuel
I have overlooked it and I am a fan of pretty much everything that Wild Turkey makes. I got the Wild Turkey 17 yr BIB and was really excited about it, but honestly it is not as good as previous Masters Keep releases. The original 17 yr. was better IMO. Having a High West Rendezvous Rye this evening and it's pretty good rye.
wilmwolf
I like the 17 BIB, managed to get a few of them actually. IMO it's much more the modern Russell's Reserve profile than traditional Turkey. I've had a few RR private picks that were ~11 years and I can definitely find similarities. I never had the first Masters Keep 17, passed on it multiple times when it was released because I wasn't into WT at that time, and I regret it now. I've gotten the four releases since, and still hold out hope to run across one of those 17s for a reasonable price someday, though that's doubtful.
READ
Fighting Cock...anyone had it? Wife went to the store last night and asked the clerk if they had a bourbon she could surprise me with. Great surprise and could taste like gasoline for all I care. I'm just glad she wanted to give me a gift. Wilmwolf,any feedback?
wilmwolf
I've never bitten the bullet and tried it. It was designed to be a competitor to Wild Turkey 101. I know it has some followers that think it's a good value bottle, I've just never actually tried it.
READ
Thanks! I will give you a report after this weekend.
SexualChocolate
Fighting cock is my bourbon for the person that wants to mix it with Coke. It's no Virgin and I will definitely never buy a bottle again but try it and if you like it, buy it again.
st8ofdenial
Cracked open a Mid-Winters Nights Dram last night. Very good.

Also, would you pull the trigger on Pappy's 12 at $600? I have an opportunity to buy. My gut says no, but I did win my Fantasy FB league this year so i hav $500 coming my way.
wilmwolf
Well, that's more than secondary but a lot less than online retailers. It's one hundred percent not worth that, but in your situation with free money, I wouldn't blame you if you did.
SexualChocolate
Agree with Wilm on this. I don't think it's worth $600 at all. It is very tasty though.
barnburner
KY Spirit is one of my favorites// I miss the old bottle style however
wilmwolf
I go back and forth on that. The fantail was unique for sure, but I don't think the label was nice enough for the price tier that is in. I don't really like that they put it in the same bottle design as rare breed though. I would've preferred a change to the label, or an entirely unique new bottle personally.
Sierrawolf
Any truth to the fact that KS is pretty much just single barrel 101?
wilmwolf
Yup. That's what it is. Just a selection of the best Wild Turkey to create a premium expression at their signature proof.
TheStorm
READ said:

Fighting Cock...anyone had it? Wife went to the store last night and asked the clerk if they had a bourbon she could surprise me with. Great surprise and could taste like gasoline for all I care. I'm just glad she wanted to give me a gift. Wilmwolf,any feedback?
First thing that came to my mind was that maybe she was trying to send you a subliminal message of some sort?
READ
She left it on the counter not my pillow
barnburner
wilmwolf80 said:

Yep,, Rare Breed and KY Spirit look very similar on the shelf. a differentiated label would help
Mormad
The Madison store is great. Picked up Col EH Taylor, sazarac rye, ky spirit, four roses small batch select today.

They have the woodford reserve barrel select northeast piedmont, which was only sent to 4 stores.

They also have whistle pig 6,12,15,17, and 18. Would love to try the boss hog.

Sold out of eagle rare yesterday unfortunately.
vanuel
wilmwolf80 said:

I like the 17 BIB, managed to get a few of them actually. IMO it's much more the modern Russell's Reserve profile than traditional Turkey. I've had a few RR private picks that were ~11 years and I can definitely find similarities. I never had the first Masters Keep 17, passed on it multiple times when it was released because I wasn't into WT at that time, and I regret it now. I've gotten the four releases since, and still hold out hope to run across one of those 17s for a reasonable price someday, though that's doubtful.
The first 17 yr didn't sell all that well because a lot of Turkey fans were put off by the lower proof and the price. I bought a bunch of it that just sat around in stores that were never going to be able to move it over the last few years. I still have 3 that I put back for the long haul. I have multiples of all the Masters Keep releases. I have both the original and the new 17 yr BIB open right now. I haven't actually put them side by side yet in a blind taste test, but it is something I am going to do.

Most of my collection is back batches of Bookers, Elijah Craig BPs, Knob Creek and Russel's Reserve store picks, and so on and so forth. I have limited patience for Unicorn chasing anymore. At some point it dawned on me, "What would you give for a 10 to 15 year old bottle of Blanton's right now?" Not so you could flip it, but so you could drink it! I wish that I had done that way before I started. All of you younger guys that are just getting started, if you can't get or afford Pappy, just put a couple of really good bottles aside a year and you will eventually have a bar that other people envy, particularly given all of the limited releases now. Hell, Pappy used to sit on the shelf on the end cap.
wilmwolf
I remember the good old days for sure, when the Van Winkles sat on the shelf. I've been in the game for fifteen years or more now, and it's crazy how it's changed. I remember when I used to by a bottle of Blanton's every week and the store guys thought I was stupid for spending fifty bucks on a bottle.

And the turkey stuff used to always sit. I looked at a bottle of the diamond anniversary for three years at least in my local store and never bought it because I just wasn't into turkey then. I got the second, third, and fourth Masters Keep easily with multiple bottles, but then with the BIB I had to really work to get a couple. Crazy how stuff changes.
SexualChocolate
Went by Hoppy Endings, which has almost every bourbon that you can think of, to try their Woodford Reserve Double Oak pick before people figure out how good it is and Damian raises the price. $11 for a full pour and it was really good. Their Widow Jane pick is fantastic as well but pricey now.
wilmwolf
Man, it's been so long since I drank in a bar, my jaw dropped at $11. The last private barrel Double Oaked I got was ~$70 so I guess that seems right when I do the math, but I think I'll stick to drinking at Wilmwolf80's bar, lol.
SexualChocolate
Haha, yea I don't get out a lot but was picking up takeout in the same parking lot. I cringe every time I buy a pour knowing my open bottles are at home.
READ
It must've been my Covid brain (it's a real thing) mistaking Fighting Cock for Chicken Cock. I've had Fighting Cock and it's definitely a mixing bourbon. Chicken Cock was a nice pour. A buttery feel with a vanilla finish which is why I like Weller. Would recommend it if you can grab it.
wilmwolf
I think I talked about Chicken Cock on the last page, but I seem to be the odd man out on that one based on all the reviews I've seen. I really wasn't impressed. To me it tasted and looked like watered down 1792, and I believe Barton is their source for what they have out currently. I definitely didn't think it was bad, but isn't worth anywhere near $60 , especially with no age statement and low proof. But literally every review I've seen for it has been glowing, so I'm definitely in the minority on that one. I just have a hard time separating value from taste most of the time.

ETA- I have only had a sample of the Chicken Cock from a friend, so I may give it another look at some time in the future. I just have a high bar for something that costs that much, even with the way the market is these days.
Mormad
The WT 17 master's keep is $459 on flaviar
Mormad
We don't talk about ryes much, but anybody tried the whistle pig boss hog 17?
wilmwolf
I've got a few buddies that are big on the pig, but I don't typically like rye so I've never put down the coin for it.
Mormad
I read the reviews and the flavor spiral and it looks incredible, but it's $500. I wanted it bad, but that's a lot of coin. I like the WP 12 very much.
WolfpackCPA
Tried the Jim Bean single barrel last night and thought it was pretty good smooth bourbon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.