All things Bourbon

284,752 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
WolfpackCPA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Those Elijah Craig bottles are pretty old as that haven't had that design in 4-5 years.
Mormad
Civilized said:

Mormad said:

Corporate attorney for a company a have designed some spine products for owns this collection. Pretty nice i must say.

Yeah that's decent. If you're into that sort of thing. Which I guess we all are.

Does he drink any though? They're all full!

Yes, there are little bits gone in a few of them.

He has about 300 more bottles that he samples from more often.

He made an infinity bottle that's really good.
JumboPack

The wife got me this for Christmas and I have been sipping on it every weekend since. I am no connoisseur but this stuff is really good in my book.
Steve Videtich
Is amazing how different regions vary with availability. Buffalo Trace is readily available out my way.
WolfpackCPA
California?
wilmwolf
Kudos to him for actually having a couple of them open. Being in it as long as I've been, I know multiple folks with collections like that, some are the open and share type, and some are under the idea that they are holding them as an investment. Personally, I think bourbon isn't a great investment, though the market keeps trying to prove me wrong on that. I open everything I get, no matter market value. Life is fleeting what's the fun in dying without ever trying your good bourbon?
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
ncsupack1
I'm just being funny but I drink every darn bottle that I buy..lol there is no saving at this house.
Mormad
Here's the infinity bourbon he mixed. This is the only thing we sampled, and it was really good, warm, and smooth.
WolfpackCPA
That is actually pretty cool I haven't made an infinity barrel yet but it's on my bucket list.

Also hoping to make it to the bourbon trail to do some tours this year. I read that heaven hill typically has some good juice in the gift shop.
wilmwolf
He's one of those types of infinity bottles, huh? Lol. I used to try an keep track of it like that, but now I just pour a little of every bottle I open. I drink a lot of single barrel stuff, so I would never be able to replicate a blend anyway, and it's fun to me to see how it randomly turns out. It's never bad, because I'm never putting anything bad in it. I'll say that my infinity bottle has the best nose of any bourbon you will ever smell, which I figure is because it has so many different things in it that you are basically getting the whole spectrum of scents.
st8ofdenial
wilmwolf80 said:

Kudos to him for actually having a couple of them open. Being in it as long as I've been, I know multiple folks with collections like that, some are the open and share type, and some are under the idea that they are holding them as an investment. Personally, I think bourbon isn't a great investment, though the market keeps trying to prove me wrong on that. I open everything I get, no matter market value. Life is fleeting what's the fun in dying without ever trying your good bourbon?

I have a buddy that won't open a bottle unless he has a 2nd in reserve…I say drink it why you got it
Steve Videtich
WolfpackCPA said:

California?

Utah
wilmwolf
Yup. I've got friends like that. Also know people who buy two and sell one on the secondary, with the justification being that it funds their hobby. I'm not a big fan of either practice, as it promotes hoarding. There was a time when I was a hoarder myself, but when you look at the shelf and realize you have more than you'll ever drink in a lifetime, I just changed my perspective. I want to buy and drink great bourbon and share it with people. The other aspects of this hobby don't interest me anymore. I don't want a collection, because a collection is something you just look at
AlleyPack
wilmwolf80 said:

He's one of those types of infinity bottles, huh? Lol. I used to try an keep track of it like that, but now I just pour a little of every bottle I open. I drink a lot of single barrel stuff, so I would never be able to replicate a blend anyway, and it's fun to me to see how it randomly turns out. It's never bad, because I'm never putting anything bad in it. I'll say that my infinity bottle has the best nose of any bourbon you will ever smell, which I figure is because it has so many different things in it that you are basically getting the whole spectrum of scents.

So I've somehow never heard of the infinity concept, but now I'm definitely intrigued.

I have about 25 bottles.
Are there any general guidelines or recommendations?
Make one infinity bottle from bourbons under 100 proof, and one over 100? (For example)
Don't mix in ryes? Etc etc.

Or is it just a free for all?
Thanks
Bell Tower Grey
Thanks to this thread, I started an infinity bottle a while back. My lovely wife had a "brunette moment" and used the majority of its contents to pour a drink for me one evening not long ago.

The bottle had only 6 or 8 different bourbons combined, and she mixed it with a splash of water. It wasn't a bad drink, but there was barely enough left to pour another one, so I started a new bottle with what was left.

Lessons learned: 1 - Clearly mark the bottle in some manner "Infinity Bottle" instead of using a nearly empty 46 labeled bottle. 2 - Make sure she understands what infinity bottle means (which she clearly does, now).
wilmwolf
AlleyPack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

So I've somehow never heard of the infinity concept, but now I'm definitely intrigued.

I have about 25 bottles.
Make one infinity bottle from bourbons under 100 proof, and one over 100? (For example)

Thanks

There are no rules. Some stick to bourbon, others mix in whatever whiskey they want. Some limit it to a single brand or style. Some people keep close track of what they add, only add exact amounts of each, etc. It's an experiment, so you get to set the parameters. In it's truest form, you would drink it along the way so you can see how it changes over time. I have a big jug and typically go till it's filled and then take it to parties or split it up for friends to try it put it in a flask to take to football games. It can be whatever you want it to be.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

AlleyPack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I have about 25 bottles.

Thanks

There are no rules. Some stick to bourbon, others mix in whatever whiskey they want. Some limit it to a single brand or style. Some people keep close track of what they add, only add exact amounts of each, etc. It's an experiment, so you get to set the parameters. In it's truest form, you would drink it along the way so you can see how it changes over time. I have a big jug and typically go till it's filled and then take it to parties or split it up for friends to try it put it in a flask to take to football games. It can be whatever you want it to be.
Reading that gave me a sudden Bob Ross flashback. Happy little cocktail, lol.
Captain Chaos
I did one last year and thoroughly enjoyed. I just put one shot in the bottle from each bottle I opened until it was full. Turned out pretty good.
AlleyPack
I was eyeing the various Whistle Pig bottles today, and I have a question.

Are they "bourbon"? Because I'm pretty sure the wording on the label was "Canadian Rye Whiskey".
wilmwolf
Whistle Pig is rye. Some of their rye was at a time sourced from Indiana. I believe most of their products are now sourced from Alberta, which would be the case for what you saw on the label.
mdreid
was in my ABC store because i heard they had Buffalo Trace, of course they sold out by the time i got there...

...so my store "Gibsonville" has a small specialty bourbon island and it was loaded with about 20 bottles of a brand called Pinhook, there was 4 different varieties of their bourbon and i was wondering if anyone here has tried it

Edit: almost through my first bottle of Glenfiddich, great drink looking forward to trying the others other than the 12 year.
wilmwolf
I've had the orange top Pinhook and thought it was pretty good for a young whiskey. Some of their stuff is distilled by Castle and Key distillery, which is a neat place to visit if you're in Kentucky.
AlleyPack
I just started my first Inifinity bottle.

I mixed two ounces of each of the following:
-- Four Roses Small Batch
-- Thomas S. Moore
-- Elijah Craig
-- Hirsch
-- Rowan's Creek
-- Devil's River Small Batch
-- Jefferson's VSB
-- Redemption
-- Old Overholt Rye
Along with one ounce of each of the following:
-- Widow Jane
-- Willet Pot Still
-- Woodford Reserve

That's about a third of my overall bottle choices; I'll just add a new one every week or so.
I'm looking forward to giving the concoction a taste this evening.
Mormad
Awesome! I started my first one too.

Templeton 6
Whistle pig rye 10
Weller 12
Eagle rare
Barrell cask strength 9
Angels envy
Michters SB
Elijah Craig 18

Great on the nose, and a nice blend of flavors
wilmwolf
Looking good guys. One tip I have is to shake it up after you've added something new to make sure everything gets blended well. Otherwise when you go to try it, the most recent thing you've added can be the most prominent for some reason. I suppose it's the different proofs or different viscosity from bourbon to bourbon, but I also flunked chemistry, so who knows.
wilmwolf
First sip after dry January is a store pick of Eagle Rare. I've missed bourbon.
RvaWolf
Welcome back and Congrats on conquering January!!
barnburner
I got an Ezra Brooks cask strength single barrel today. First time I had seen that one. Anybody tried it before?
wilmwolf
barnburner said:

I got an Ezra Brooks cask strength single barrel today. First time I had seen that one. Anybody tried it before?
Yes. I thought it was ok, a little spicy for my tastebuds, but good in an old fashioned. I'm hit or miss on the Lux Row flavor profiles though. The Davies County stuff was pretty good, and Rebel Yell is a good budget pour. All depends on your tastebuds.
AlleyPack
My Infinity bottle:

wilmwolf
Lol, love the sticker!
barnburner
tell me about the bottle.. .. very cool
AlleyPack
barnburner said:

tell me about the bottle.. .. very cool

It was originally a bottle of Thomas S. Moore bourbon.
I used some "goo gone" to remove all the stickers and labels; there is still some of the original etching on the other side of the bottle.
wilmwolf
Having some Elijah Craig barrel proof tonight. Not one I go for often, but sometimes you just need a little more.
Bell Tower Grey
One of my sons is getting married in July. He stopped by this afternoon with a "pre-wedding gift" of Henry McKenna 10 yr BIB for us to try, since he's considering that as one of his groomsmen's gifts.

Not a bad drink at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.