All things Bourbon

284,347 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
WolfpackCPA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did EC toasted this weekend but didn't love the bottle like my first experience.

barnburner
^never had that one. How does it compare to regular EC?
WolfpackCPA
This one wasn't very good. The first bottle had an awesome marshmallow toasted flavor / great notes.

I typically have EC as a regular drink so I am a huge fan of their product. ECBP is one of the best products on the market which you historically could find.

wilmwolf
I liked Elijah Craig Toasted on my initial tastings, but the more I revisited it the more I found it lacking compared to other toasted barrel offerings from other companies. It wasn't bad, just not significantly better than regular old EC.

In general, I find the whole category of toasted barrels, wood staves, barrel finishes to have a very small sweet spot where is successful. It's so easy to have those added flavors completely overpower the base bourbon. Sometimes that's the goal, as I think there are lots of companies out there doing barrel finishes as way to mask substandard spirit. There are lots of great flavors that can come from added wood, but I don't want to feel like I'm drinking the leg from my coffee table.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
TheStorm
Wife took my credit card yesterday on one of her days off to run "errands"... first beep I got on my phone was for $179.00 at one of my local ABC stores... I inquired as to what it might have been about and was told that I would have to wait until Christmas.

Just hope it's something (or things) good... I don't need $179 of Jack Daniels.
Civilized
TheStorm said:

Wife took my credit card yesterday on one of her days off to run "errands"... first beep I got on my phone was for $179.00 at one of my local ABC stores... I inquired as to what it might have been about and was told that I would have to wait until Christmas.

Just hope it's something (or things) good... I don't need $179 of Jack Daniels.

Brother, I feel 6 handles of Ancient Age coming on.

Merry Christmas to us all!

Do report back on Christmas morning and let us know if you hit the jackpot!
TheStorm
Reportedly, it's only three bottles... Guess I'll have to wait to find out.

(or start rummaging around the house looking)
WolfpackCPA
Tonight is four roses barrel strength.

Today was apparently barrel strength day in Wilmington got Larceny and EC as well.
barnburner
Had my first ever Willett last night. Nice bottle and bourbon as well.
SexualChocolate
A little celebration pour last night of Russels 13 year. Really good bottle.
SexualChocolate
Was it the 4 yr Rye? One of my favorites.
JumboPack
Celebrating the win and the wife's birthday from Turks and Caicos with Blanton's.
barnburner
SexualChocolate said:

Was it the 4 yr Rye? One of my favorites.
it was the Pot Still Reserve... had a lemon nose to it. Super smooth finish
wilmwolf
Aside from Dickel, Willet Pot Still might be the most divisive bourbon out there. If you read some of the message boards, there are some very strong negative opinions on it. I've always thought it was just ok, not something I'd go out of my way to recommend necessarily, but I can't see how people hate it so much. The bottle is cool enough by itself to warrant having it on the shelf if nothing else.
stuartmcarthur5
Am in San Antonio for the weekend on a trip and found this at a liquor store there. Got a half gallon of Buffalo Trace coming back home to NC.
stuartmcarthur5
Update: I went to see if the Liquor store had any Eagle Rare or Weller and they didn't so I got another half gallon
wilmwolf
Texas has historically gotten a steady supply of Weller, if you have time you may want to check a couple more stores. Nice pickups on the handles.
stuartmcarthur5
There was a place someone here mentioned to go which he said they have a steady supply of Reserve and I'm going to see if they have Antique 107
stuartmcarthur5
Didn't find any Special Reserve or Antique but I found some stuff I haven't seen in NC. Got Haven Hill Bottled in Bond and Uncle Nearest 1856
barnburner
I love that HH BIB. Good get.
Daviewolf83
While in Louisville this past weekend for my son's game, we decided to travel up a day early and tour some distilleries. My wife and I, along with the parents of another player, spent the day on Friday touring three distilleries. We began the day at Kentucky Artisan, the distillers for the Jefferson brands. It is a small distiller (compared to Buffalo Trace), but a really nice tour to start the day. I enjoyed the tastings and ended up picking up a bottle of Jefferson Reserve Ocean - Voyage 23. Of all the bottles I tried on Friday, it was the smoothest and was definitely one of my favorites.

After Kentucky Artisan, the driver (we hired a driver for the day), we headed to Buffalo Trace. The distillery is huge and they are currently undergoing an expansion that will double their daily production. They have a second still, that has just begun production and will be fully operational later this month. Compared to Kentucky Artisan, the place was incredible. We got a full tour and tasting at the end. One of they people I was with, picked up two bottles of their daily special bottle sale (E.H. Taylor Single Barrel) and he was very excited to be able to get it. I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace to add to my Buffalo Trace stock, but was not able to get any Eagle Rare, since they did not have it for sale in the shop. They did have a full pallet of Eagle Rare sitting right outside the gift shop, but nothing for sale. My wife picked up a bottle of their Wheatley Vodka, since she prefers vodka to bourbon. I'm not a big vodka drinker, but it was very good. Being a wheat vodka, it had a smooth, sweet flavor.

The last tour of the day was to Stitzel Weller. Another interesting tour. Their main brands are Blade and Bow and I.W. Harper and they also bottle Bulleit brands. I picked up a bottle of Blade and Bow after the tastings at this distillery.

We wanted to tour Woodford, but they were booked up several weeks ago when we arranged our trip and we ran out of time to visit their gift shop. If you ever have the chance to tour some distilleries, I highly recommend going. The tours were all informative and it was awesome to get to try so many different brands in one day.
wilmwolf
Awesome! You hit two that I've not yet been to. Woodford is a really beautiful place, it's a shame you didn't get to hit that one. For me, 3-5 distilleries per trip is about all I can take. It's always fun, but the tours can get a little bit repetitive at times. I'm glad you able to do that.
wolfpackfan04
Blade and Bow is one of my favorites. I did the Buffalo Trace tour on a bachelor's trip. It was a really cool place to visit. I wish I had gotten a bottle of EH Taylor while I was there.
SexualChocolate
EHT Single Barrel is a good one. Looks like you did that trip right and glad you had a great time.
barnburner
Sounds like a fun trip. Hope to do so one day but the Ms is not so much
stuartmcarthur5
They had EHT Single Barrel at the gift shop? I was only able to get Small Batch
Daviewolf83
stuartmcarthur5 said:

They had EHT Single Barrel at the gift shop? I was only able to get Small Batch
I did see EHT Single Barrel in the gift shop, but the bottles I mentioned were remains from their one day sale. It was being sold just outside the tasting rooms (upstairs, near the stairs to the gift shop), as you head down to the gift shop. Once it was sold, it was gone. We were told they do these one day sales every week and they typically sell out not long after the sale begins. On this day, they had a handful of bottles left around 1pm and a couple of people were able to get the last remaining bottles. They may have had 5-10 bottles available when my friend purchased his two bottles. Our tour guide was shocked when they told him that they had a few bottles available and my friend was basically running to the special sales table, once he found out they had some available. I was hoping for the Eagle Rare, but other than the pallet sitting outside, near the gift shop, there was none available for sale. I'm wondering if the pallet was sitting there in preparation for a future one-day sale.

My friend was beyond excited to get two bottles and he is planning to break one open for Christmas, after the season is over and his son gets home. He said the other one will be for a future special occasion and it is going in his collection until that day arrives. He bought a lot more bourbon than I did no Friday. At Kentucky Artisan, he got a couple of bottles of Jefferson Reserve Ocean Wheated from Voyage 29. He also got a couple of bottles of Whiskey Row from Kentucky Artisan.

Hopefully, in 10-20 years, the increased capacity Buffalo Trace has coming online will kick in and there will be more available. Our driver for the day was telling us that Buffalo Trace has some distribution issues with some of their brands that impacts availability in the US. According to them, when the bourbon industry hit hard times in the US, the Asian market helped to keep them in business. During this period, long-term distribution contracts were put in place with many of the larger distillers and as a result, a lot of the bourbon has to go to Asia first and what does not get distributed there, can come back for sale in the US. They said you have a better chance of finding some the harder to find brands in Asia than you do in the US. I am not sure how accurate it is, but it seems plausible. Some of you guys may know if it is accurate.
AlleyPack
Though I've had the bottle for quite awhile, I finally opened and had some Maker's Mark 101 this evening.

I'm not a big Maker's guy, so I must say that I was pleasantly surprised.
My wife's description was, "it has a hint of honey" -- and I can taste that sort of sweetness.
TheStorm
HH B-I-B (100 Proof) and OF 1920 Prohibition Style (115 Proof) are my latest local pickups last week.
RvaWolf
Really enjoy both of those.
SexualChocolate
Very good selections. I might prefer 1910 slightly more but OF prohibition bottles are really good. On a side note, Holiday season is coming up so make sure to sign up for the lotteries. Durham is available and Wake County will be soon.
barnburner
TheStorm said:

HH B-I-B (100 Proof) and OF 1920 Prohibition Style (115 Proof) are my latest local pickups last week.
I got an HH BIB today.. cant wait to crack it!
stuartmcarthur5
TheStorm said:

I'm excited to open that B-I-B as soon as I finish my Basil Haydens finished in red wine cask
TheStorm
barnburner said:

TheStorm said:

I got an HH BIB today.. cant wait to crack it!
Exactly the same one that stuartmcarthur5 posted the picture of farther up this page...

(I post the above... and then as I look at the very next post... "speak of the devil")
wilmwolf
Heaven Hill bottled in bond is good, I'm glad it's making its way around now. I'm pretty sure we discussed it a few pages back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.