All things Bourbon

283,957 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
JumboPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

I'm a fan of Baker's. I like it better than Booker's or Knob Creek single barrel. I have gotten one I didn't really like, but that's the gamble with single barrel products.
Thanks, I actually can't wait to try the Dickel after your recommendation. Then, probably break into the Baker's this weekend.
wilmwolf
Enjoy it, three solid pickups there.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

Enjoy it, three solid pickups there.
Went back to the OP of this thread and found this:

wilmwolf80
11:34a, 7/26/17

Just a place for general bourbon discussion. My personal collection is pushing around 70 bottles currently, which means I really need to drink more.

Wondered how those collections were looking for those that have them? Almost exactly five (5) years later...
TheStorm
BTW, I still haven't cracked open the Jack Daniel's Bonded or Triple Mash since Chocolate burst my bubble a couple of weeks back...
wilmwolf
The last time I counted it was around 120, but it's less than that because I haven't bought much this year and have been making an effort to clear things out.
PadowithzPack
Jack was my gateway into the bourbon habit I have today so I may be a little biased, but I enjoyed both Bonded and Triple Mash offerings. The TM was different...a little funky, but a good sweet funky. The Bonded was everything I've always wanted Jack Daniels to be. It's not the punch-in-your face deliciousness that the Barrel Proof offerings give you, but it's the good ol' #7 turned up to 100 (literally) and that's what I've always thought it was missing...a little proof.
WolfpackCPA
wilmwolf80 said:

The last time I counted it was around 120, but it's less than that because I haven't bought much this year and have been making an effort to clear things out.

Curious do you display bottles or just keep them in some cabinets?
wilmwolf
WolfpackCPA said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Well, everything open is on shelves in my game room. I don't really consider it displayed, more stored, but they are out and accessible. Unopened stuff is in a cabinet. I don't really have a dedicated bar space like I see a lot of folks with, maybe in a future dwelling I'll build something like that.
barnburner
That was a good haul.. Bakers is among my favorite 3-4 bourbons
SexualChocolate
WolfpackCPA said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I keep mine in a cabinet mostly. I think I'm around 100+ bottles as well. Since the pandemic is over, I've actually invited some people over to help me drink them.
st8ofdenial
I'm over 100 as well. My wife was kind enough to give this to me as an anniversary/father's day/birthday gift the other year
wilmwolf
Really nice setups there guys, and love to see all the open bottles.
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

Seconded. Why have it if you can't at least sample some of it...

Any system as to how either of you guys (st8ofdenial and sexualchocolate) arrange your bottle? or is it just what fits where?
st8ofdenial
I tried to group my bottles by distillery, that way I kind of know which area to look when I'm deciding what to drink
SexualChocolate
TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Seconded. Why have it if you can't at least sample some of it...

Any system as to how either of you guys (st8ofdenial and sexualchocolate) arrange your bottle? or is it just what fits where?

I did put my best bottles on the top shelf at first but now it is just random. It's kind of nice to search through there and find a bottle that I forgot about or try one that I thought was not good like the BiB by JD. I will say that the majority of the time when I revisit a bottle, it does taste better if I didn't like it the first time. Some people tell me the neck pour is the reason and also opening the bottle opens it up more to get the flavors.
barnburner
very nice collections
WolfpackCPA
I want to get a nice display but we are probably going to move in a couple of years. Then I get concerned that a display cabinet won't fit in the new place. Hoping to have a permanent bar in my next house.
st8ofdenial
Traveling for work this week in TX (fyi its HOT) scored 2 Weller Special Reserves for some buddies (at retail) and found me a 1792 12yr (very excited about that)
barnburner
st8ofdenial said:

Traveling for work this week in TX (fyi its HOT) scored 2 Weller Special Reserves for some buddies (at retail) and found me a 1792 12yr (very excited about that)

Was there 2 weeks ago and did the same. There was plenty of it.
st8ofdenial
And to top it off, boss said I could expense a bourbon and cigar at the Cigar Bar around the corner from my hotel in Ft Worth…great way to finish the week
PackFansXL
I drove through KY on a Sunday and passed several stops for distilleries whose products I am familiar with. I wish I had time to do the bourbon tour. I made a quick pit stop at a Target and checked their food section. I was surprised that bourbon is sold on Sundays. I picked up a bottle of Rabbit Hole. Have y'all tried that one? I wasn't familiar with it; so, I grabbed that one and hit the road.
wilmwolf
I've tried a few of their expressions, thought they were pretty good. Kroger is a surprisingly good place to look if you're in Kentucky.
JumboPack
At the Atlanta airport today and looky here!

Grabbed one. A bit pricey for duty free at $139.
PackFansXL
JumboPack said:

At the Atlanta airport today and looky here!

Grabbed one. A bit pricey for duty free at $139.

Wow, that's more bottles of Blanton's in one spot than I have seen in my lifetime. Here in Austin they only appear behind the bar at restaurants. They never even get put on the shelf in liquor stores because they are all spoken for when they are delivered.
TheStorm
Picked up a Dickel Single Barrel 15 Year yesterday at the main store in Jacksonville... Bottle 114.

st8ofdenial
Sales rep I work with a lot in TX thanked me with a bottle of 1792 12yr. Think I might break the seal on that tomorrow in honor of my 45th year around the sun
wilmwolf
Sounds like a great idea! Happy birthday!
wilmwolf
Damn, I thought they were $100 still at duty free. That's nuts. Blanton's is good, but it's not worth anywhere close to that. I've said this before, but 15 years ago I used to buy a few bottles of Blanton's a week as my daily drinker, and the store clerks thought I was nuts because it was ~$50. I'd bring it up to the counter and without fail they would say "oh, what's the special occasion?". I miss those days.. Glad you picked one up though!
SexualChocolate
wilmwolf80 said:

Damn, I thought they were $100 still at duty free. That's nuts. Blanton's is good, but it's not worth anywhere close to that. I've said this before, but 15 years ago I used to buy a few bottles of Blanton's a week as my daily drinker, and the store clerks thought I was nuts because it was ~$50. I'd bring it up to the counter and without fail they would say "oh, what's the special occasion?". I miss those days.. Glad you picked one up though!

I'm with you. I find it every once in awhile and always buy one just to give out as gifts but generally don't drink it very often.
barnburner
WO(W.. I figured that was the allocation for all of NC!!
JumboPack
wilmwolf80 said:

I fully expected to see $89 or even $99 but I was surprised at $139. I grabbed one with a letter I needed to eventually spell Blanton's with the stopper's. I was on my way to a vacation spot with the wife and son in the Caribbean. I'll grab a few cigars and polish this off this weekend and next week.
st8ofdenial
JumboPack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

I fully expected to see $89 or even $99 but I was surprised at $139. I grabbed one with a letter I needed to eventually spell Blanton's with the stopper's. I was on my way to a vacation spot with the wife and son in the Caribbean. I'll grab a few cigars and polish this off this weekend and next week.
THat's a good nugget of info. I've never understood how the duty free worked, I thought you had to be coming back to take advantage. But if your traveling outside either way, you can take part...that correct?
JumboPack
st8ofdenial said:

JumboPack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

THat's a good nugget of info. I've never understood how the duty free worked, I thought you had to be coming back to take advantage. But if your traveling outside either way, you can take part...that correct?

Yes, as long as you have an international ticket or coming from an international destination you can shop at duty free. They brought it on the plane before takeoff. As I think about the tax in Atlanta and GA and this purchase was tax free. Probably like buying it for $125 before taxes. Well, either way I'm going to find a fresh Cuban cigar and fill my glass up with bourbon tonight!
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

Sounds like a great idea! Happy birthday!
Agreed... Here! Here!
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

but 15 years ago I used to buy a few bottles of Blanton's a week as my daily drinker, and the store clerks thought I was nuts because it was ~$50.
Yep. Was never anywhere close to my daily drinker... but I can remember as recent as 10 years ago where I could go to the store here downtown at the beach, anytime of the f'n year, and they always had 3-4 bottles of Blanton's, Booker's and Baker's out on the shelf every single time I went in there... and yes, those were the days indeed!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.