All things Bourbon

286,492 Views | 2198 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by ncsupack1
statefan91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Excellent - thanks for the recommendations everyone. Also using this to make a Christmas list
TheStorm
curmudgeon.zen said:

statefan91 said:

Anyone have a top 5 of Bourbons to look for when randomly going into ABC stores? I have liked things like Jefferson's Reserve, Woodford, Eagle Rare
Of (somewhat) readily availables, I'd recommend the following:

• Wild Turkey Rare Breed
  • Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style
  • Old Forester 1910 Old Fine Whiskey
  • Knob Creek 12 Year
  • Knob Creek 9 Year Single Barrel
  • Wild Turkey 101
  • Henry McKenna 10 Year Single Barrel Bottled in Bond
  • Maker's Mark Cask Strength
  • Elijah Craig Small Batch
  • Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof

This made me think... so I checked my cabinet and I still had one.

That will be getting opened later this afternoon for sure.
barnburner
TheStorm said:

curmudgeon.zen said:

statefan91 said:

Anyone have a top 5 of Bourbons to look for when randomly going into ABC stores? I have liked things like Jefferson's Reserve, Woodford, Eagle Rare

For me...
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit
Knob Creek Single Barrell
Any Elijah Craig Single Barrell
Old Ezra Cask Strength
Bakers
Bookers
I like the higher proofs for the first pour of the evening.
These are all things that you are able to find on the shelf from time to time. Happy Hunting!
WolfpackCPA
SexualChocolate said:

I have too much in my cabinet but for the stuff you can get that I like is as follows

Eagle Rare(it's a little hard but I see it in stores often enough)
Woodford Double Oak
Knob Creek 9 year
Virgin 101 proof
Early Times(can find it sometimes)
Old Grand Dad 114 proof

Don't be telling people about early times! I gave it a whirl this year and was impressed.
SexualChocolate
I think all the lists for easy to get bourbon are great and all are great suggestions. Enjoy the holidays!
pluralitus
Hey guys - Just saw some Angel's Anvy Cask Strength Bourbon for ~$250. Read somewhere they release 22k bottles a year. Is it good and is it worth the price?
wilmwolf
pluralitus said:

Hey guys - Just saw some Angel's Anvy Cask Strength Bourbon for ~$250. Read somewhere they release 22k bottles a year. Is it good and is it worth the price?

I can't answer the question of if it's good, but it's definitely not worth the price. None of it is worth what we pay for it. With that said, if you like regular Angels envy, and it's in your budget, go for it!
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
pluralitus
Ooo so it's NIL or an interesting new bourbon. Tough out here for the middle class. Looks like it's ramen this week either way!

I kid.. I kid..
DJncsu13
Wilmwolf - did you get anything from the big drop on 11/25 at college rd? Can only imagine what that line must've looked like.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
wilmwolf
DJncsu13 said:

Wilmwolf - did you get anything from the big drop on 11/25 at college rd? Can only imagine what that line must've looked like.

Nah, I don't wait in line for bourbon. I heard that they got everyone through in about an hour, and that it was nuts.
barnburner
the dude that works in the Hamlet ABC store was talking about how crazy it was! Some people know when the truck is coming and with what.
JumboPack
Breaking out some good stuff for this weekend!
wilmwolf
barnburner said:

the dude that works in the Hamlet ABC store was talking about how crazy it was! Some people know when the truck is coming and with what.

****, some people follow the trucks from store to store.
TheStorm
They cut that sht off up here in Pender... warehouse manager drives a random car on a random day when the allocateds get dropped now. Vultures have evaporated as to following the trucks. They still call the stores EFD asking if they got their drop yet though.

I have to assume that people like that are re-sellers and are basically what has ruined it for the rest of us that either just want to consume - or collect a good bottle here and there when we see one.
wilmwolf
The guy I know that followed the truck was only looking to sell on the secondary. It takes all the fun out of it for me. I'll spend the money on good bourbon, but I'm not devoting the time and energy to it anymore.
stuartmcarthur5
wilmwolf said:

The guy I know that followed the truck was only looking to sell on the secondary. It takes all the fun out of it for me. I'll spend the money on good bourbon, but I'm not devoting the time and energy to it anymore.

If I get ahold of a good bottle I drink it and share it with friends. I just don't get the whole flipping thing at all
curmudgeon.zen
Finished off an ECBP and a Knob 12 with a good brother this evening...life is good
Log off. Go outside.
Oldsouljer
TheStorm said:

They cut that sht off up here in Pender... warehouse manager drives a random car on a random day when the allocateds get dropped now. Vultures have evaporated as to following the trucks. They still call the stores EFD asking if they got their drop yet though.

I have to assume that people like that are re-sellers and are basically what has ruined it for the rest of us that either just want to consume - or collect a good bottle here and there when we see one.
It's pathetic (and a little disturbing) how people camp out in front of the Youngsville ABC. Anyway, can anyone tell me a brand that's distilled with no other grain but pure corn? I haven't dared touch any since I got diagnosed with celiac. Sucks because I like whiskey sours.
CALS grad
barnburner
wilmwolf said:

barnburner said:

****, some people follow the trucks from store to store.
There's that AND I hear drivers are being tipped for info as well.
stuartmcarthur5
After the last few days had to celebrate with a bottle kill.
WolfpackCPA
Problem is it invites people from all over the state so the people that actually live in the county get the scraps. I hope they pass the law that you need license in the county to get allocated bourbons.

The people just buying to sell on secondary are taking all the fun out of it.
stuartmcarthur5
Just completed the last assignment in my Masters program so celebrating with some good bourbon.
Oldsouljer
You earned it. I enjoyed school, both undergrad and grad until that last semester of grad school. Felt like wading in armpit deep mud to get to the finish line, I was so burnt out.
CALS grad
TheStorm
Burgaw got their drop today (not a highly trafficked store), and so I went about 30 minutes out of my way on the way back from Wilmington around 4PM and scored an Elijah Craig Single Barrel - 18 Year, and I got to tell you I was pretty happy.

Was really impressed with what they received as far as allocateds too... honestly, most of them I've never heard of before. *Should have snapped a picture while I was there - they still had a lot on hand.
TheStorm
TheStorm said:

Burgaw got their drop today (not a highly trafficked store), and so I went about 30 minutes out of my way on the way back from Wilmington around 4PM and scored an Elijah Craig Single Barrel - 18 Year, and I got to tell you I was pretty happy.

Was really impressed with what they received as far as allocateds too... honestly, most of them I've never heard of before. *Should have snapped a picture while I was there - they still had a lot on hand.
Actually, I've now been told they actually got this drop yesterday... can't believe they still had all those different bottles still towards the end of Day 2.
barnburner
TheStorm said:

Burgaw got their drop today (not a highly trafficked store), and so I went about 30 minutes out of my way on the way back from Wilmington around 4PM and scored an Elijah Craig Single Barrel - 18 Year,

Based on this post, I stopped by my local store about 10:20.... in Raleigh they open at 11. There were 30-35 people in line and I just kept on going. I went back about 12 and they had the same drop but just 1 case. I did a BT however.. always nice to have one of those for a quick Christmas present.
curmudgeon.zen
Allocated drop here this morning. 30-ish people in line at opening, all going nutso over Blanton's, whch got gone quickly, as did the Michter's 10 yr Rye. Scored an Elijah Craig 18 yr and damned happy about it. Had a Penelope Valencia and a 2XO Gem of Kentucky that I'm hoping to go back and get, though I doubt they'll still be there. ****'s getting crazy out there, y'all...
Log off. Go outside.
Jtbridges317
Blade and bow is my current favorite. Normally only about $45 a bottle so still definitely affordable.
wilmwolf
The 2X0 stuff hasn't been moving around me, it might still be there. As to Blanton's, I know someone who got a WL Weller at a raffle because the person in front of him chose the Blanton's over it. People are nuts.
barnburner
Blantons is a fine bourbon but people fawn over it unlike anything else (except BT). Neither are that great.
wilmwolf
Here's the quiet part about Blanton's that most don't say out loud. Blanton's was started to create a premium bourbon for the Japanese market using hand selected barrels by Elmer T Lee. Production of Blanton's has increased tremendously since he died - to meet demand, not because there were more premium barrels being made. The quality of modern Blanton's is all over the place, as a single barrel product. I've held blind taste tests between some bottles of Blanton's and Ancient Ancient Age, and seasoned bourbon drinkers couldn't tell them apart. That's not to say Blanton's isn't still good, I've gotten really good bottles recently, just that it isn't a guaranteed great pour. But folks like having it on their shelf, and it's not losing popularity any time soon.
TheStorm
I had a client send me up to Emerald Isle yesterday to look at a Commercial Property for him, and I ducked into the Swansboro store on my way back and picked up a Booker's specifically for drinking purposes.

When I got back, I compared it to the other two bottles that I still haven't opened and it appears that they are all the same, except 1st one was 2023 Q1, 2nd was 2023 Q2 and yesterday's is 2023 Q3. I can't see anything else different about them.

What's the rule of thumb on this? Open the newest one first?

I'm looking forward to having an "instant impact" proof open and available for drinking...
curmudgeon.zen
wilmwolf said:

The 2X0 stuff hasn't been moving around me, it might still be there. As to Blanton's, I know someone who got a WL Weller at a raffle because the person in front of him chose the Blanton's over it. People are nuts.
Just once in my life I'd like to have that kind of luck...LOL
Log off. Go outside.
curmudgeon.zen
FYI if you happen to be in the vicinity of Rockwell, NC, they are having another drop today at 4:00pm. Was told Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, 2XO Gem of KY and Penelope 9 yr for sure. All will go fast, as they expect a crowd.
Log off. Go outside.
barnburner
on Bookers, you will hear all kinds of things about the batches and how one is terrible and another is the best in x years.... I enjoy them all. I've been seeing them on the shelf the last number of months and I think the price point might make some choke. I like it!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.