All things Bourbon

284,600 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
JocoPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Helps to know people lol
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
vanuel
It always helps to know someone with our system. The whole thing is such a byzantine mess.
wilmwolf
This year's Elijah Craig 18 is one of the better bourbons I've had. Strong oak on the nose, but not over oaked. Most anything I've ever tried over 12-15 years, other than Pappy, was like drinking a barrel. This of extremely good. I had last year's EC23, which was also very good, but this is better. Really complex, very good juice.
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

This year's Elijah Craig 18 is one of the better bourbons I've had. Strong oak on the nose, but not over oaked. Most anything I've ever tried over 12-15 years, other than Pappy, was like drinking a barrel. This of extremely good. I had last year's EC23, which was also very good, but this is better. Really complex, very good juice.
I too really enjoy this year's. What barrel number is your bottle?
wilmwolf
4542 opened. 4535 on the shelf.
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

4542 opened. 4535 on the shelf.
I have 4535 and 4562. My 4535 is the open one. It's delicious
vanuel
https://www.carolinajournal.com/opinion-article/control-for-n-c-abc-business-is-booming/
wilmwolf
Can't disagree with anything said there. I don't see any way the state ever lets go of it though.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
wolfpack1437
I have mixed feelings about a State run ABC. I really enjoy buying stuff at MSRP instead of actual market prices, but I also hate the limited locations and selection
wilmwolf
It's a slippery slope. If the system runs the way that it is supposed to, without corruption and favoritism, it would be a superior option for most consumers. Paying close to MSRP for things is obviously a huge win, for those that get to do so. At the same time, it has helped fuel the secondary market. If you can buy something and then immediately sell it for 5,8, or 10 times what you paid for it, it's hard to turn that option down. The question then becomes, if everyone paid market price, let's say $1500 for Pappy instead of MSRP $150, would the secondary prices simply increase exponentially along with the primary cost? With the demand as it is, the answer is most likely yes, at least in the short term. I honestly don't know the solution long term. I'd like to see control states like ours do a better job of stopping the secondary market, but as the article points out, they are making money hand over fist, so they have little incentive to devote the time and resources to do it.
wilmwolf
Bourbon adjunct- Mellow Corn might be the best $11 bottle of liquor you can buy. I had previously only used it in cocktails, but I had some over ice the other night and it is indeed mellow. Not as complex as bourbon, but not meant to be. I'm not sure about it's availability in NC, it may be a special order item, but if you can find it, I'd suggest giving it a try. At that price point, I'm sure you can find some use for it.
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

Bourbon adjunct- Mellow Corn might be the best $11 bottle of liquor you can buy. I had previously only used it in cocktails, but I had some over ice the other night and it is indeed mellow. Not as complex as bourbon, but not meant to be. I'm not sure about it's availability in NC, it may be a special order item, but if you can find it, I'd suggest giving it a try. At that price point, I'm sure you can find some use for it.
It's special order here but Angier has it occasionally. Anyone looking for it can call Mrs. Shirley and she'll hold you a couple if they are in stock. I think she gets them every 90 days or so.

Anyone looking for something new to try, I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the New Riff (bottlers of the discontinued O.K.I.) barrel picks. I've had 3 different ones now (including the Raleigh B&B pick) and all are phenomenal. They are bottled at cask strength, which is usually only around 115 proof for them, and are easily the best 4 year old bourbon I've ever had. They don't have much of a wood note but also don't have any "young bourbon" taste to them at all. They have officially become my favorite new distillery and I can't even begin to imagine how good their juice will be when it gets in the 8-10 year range. There is definitely some rye in their mashbill but it's not overpowering in the least
wilmwolf
If, ok when, I decide to stop my self-imposed moratorium on new bottle purchases, that's one I want to try. The other is the new McKenzie BIB Wheater.
wolfpack1437
I've never heard of the McKenzie wheater, will definitely have to look into that one
wilmwolf
Finger Lakes distilling in NY. I've never had any of their products, but they've been on my radar for a year or so. I'm intrigued by the wheater because I can't think of another wheater that's BIB.
wolfpack1437
I can't think of one either. Definitely going to add it to the list
ValleyWolf
Haven't bothered to read all of this, anyone have a sour mash favorite?
Ever near Sperryville Va, check out the Copper Fox distillery.
wolfpack1437
ValleyWolf said:

Haven't bothered to read all of this, anyone have a sour mash favorite?
Ever near Sperryville Va, check out the Copper Fox distillery.
Most, almost 100% of Bourbons are sour mash, just not always advertised anymore. I assume you are just referring to it as slang for boubon?

My favorite is George T Stagg on the rye bourbon side and William Larue Weller on the wheated bourbon side. My newly found favorite craft bourbon is the New Riff Single Barrel.
wilmwolf
Was gifted a bottle of Dickel 9 year barrel select picked for New Hanover county ABC. It's been a long time since I've tried any Dickel, like decades long, (other than a few things I've had like Peg Leg Porker sourced from there) so I was unsure what to expect. Trying it tonight and it is extremely good. I don't think it's worth the $50 or so it retails for, but nothing is really, but it is something I would consider breaking my new purchase moratorium to get another bottle.
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

Was gifted a bottle of Dickel 9 year barrel select picked for New Hanover county ABC. It's been a long time since I've tried any Dickel, like decades long, (other than a few things I've had like Peg Leg Porker sourced from there) so I was unsure what to expect. Trying it tonight and it is extremely good. I don't think it's worth the $50 or so it retails for, but nothing is really, but it is something I would consider breaking my new purchase moratorium to get another bottle.
Appreciate the review ww80! Interesting thing about Dickel is that they are one of the biggest producers for NDPs (non-distiller producers). Recently a couple known brands have been almost exclusively Dickel-- Smooth Ambler SAOS and Barrell Bourbon. Lesser known Pursuit Spirits is also Dickel. Dickel currently has more aged stock at better prices than MGP so there has been a noticeable shift towards Dickel for NDP's. I've had the 13yr SAOS which is Dickel and it's terrific. Also ordered some of the Pursuit Spirit bottles and look forward to trying those
wilmwolf
Maybe it's because I've had a lot of the high test stuff you like lately like ECBP, but the Dickel at 103 was extremely easy drinking. Very tempted to go get another one.
wilmwolf
Trying the David Nicholson 1843 again tonight. Reasonable wheater. A bit young tasting, but not as raw as Big Level from Smooth Ambler. NAS, but I'd guess not much older than 4 years. It's an enjoyable sip that is reasonably priced. Available as special order in NC. If you are a wheater fan, it's worth the try.
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

Maybe it's because I've had a lot of the high test stuff you like lately like ECBP, but the Dickel at 103 was extremely easy drinking. Very tempted to go get another one.
In general they make good products. I do wonder why they are aging some stock for a longer time than any of their product line requires. The SAOS is 13 yr, and I've heard of Barrell products as old as 16 yr. I'm not aware of any Dickel labeled products that old.
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

Trying the David Nicholson 1843 again tonight. Reasonable wheater. A bit young tasting, but not as raw as Big Level from Smooth Ambler. NAS, but I'd guess not much older than 4 years. It's an enjoyable sip that is reasonably priced. Available as special order in NC. If you are a wheater fan, it's worth the try.
I bought a 1843 (haven't open it yet) off the shelf in North Raleigh that ended up being a 2014 or so bottle. Somebody must have ordered and it was never picked up so the warehouse is just dumping extra stock.
wilmwolf
Would be my theory that those are barrels that either are aged longer purposefully to be sold to NDPs, knowing they will be worth way more or, they are barrels that didn't meet their flavor profile for whatever reason so they just let them keep aging to see what happens.
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

Would be my theory that those are barrels that either are aged longer purposefully to be sold to NDPs, knowing they will be worth way more or, they are barrels that didn't meet their flavor profile for whatever reason so they just let them keep aging to see what happens.
That's probably spot on, in both cases. Good call!
vanuel
Trying to whittle down a fairly large number of open bottles here lately and found myself sipping on a WT Rare Breed 116.8 proof as a result. Just a damn tasty, readily available, affordable bourbon selection that gets overlooked quite often. So yummy that I wound up pouring another.
wilmwolf
vanuel said:

Trying to whittle down a fairly large number of open bottles here lately and found myself sipping on a WT Rare Breed 116.8 proof as a result. Just a damn tasty, readily available, affordable bourbon selection that gets overlooked quite often. So yummy that I wound up pouring another.

Open bottles is an issue I have. I don't generally go to bars, so if I want to try something, that normally involves buying the bottle. For things that are good, finishing them off normally isn't an issue, but for things that I don't care for, that leaves the question of what to do with them. Normally I deal with them in one of three ways. First of which is giving them to someone else. I'll frequently take a partial bottle to a party and just leave it. Another thing I've done is an infinity bottle, basically just pouring whatever is left in a decanter. You can end up with a blend of dozens of bourbon, resulting in something quite different from the individual parts. The last thing is my bourbon infusions. I've found when adding fruits and other things, the spirit you start with doesn't affect the end result appreciably, so I'll just toss whatever of have around in the jug.
walstylez
I'm about to go on the trip of a lifetime y'all.
My friend is turning 40 and just like I did (but couldn't due to family stuff) he wants to head to Louisville. One of the guys going owns to restaurants in Charlotte, and he's agreed to buy a Private Select barrel...so Maker's is picking us up from the hotel and taking us on a tour, private select tasting, lunch, to Buffalo Trace, and back and feeding us dinner. They're even feeding us dinner at a nice steakhouse when we arrive in Lousiville tomorrow night. We'll be bourbon hunting on the way up, there's 6 of us and we rented a 10 passenger van....I'm stoked about this!!
PackFansXL
walstylez said:

My friend is turning 40 and just like I did (but couldn't due to family stuff) he wants to head to Louisville. One of the guys going owns to restaurants in Charlotte, and he's agreed to buy a Private Select barrel...so Maker's is picking us up from the hotel and taking us on a tour, private select tasting, lunch, to Buffalo Trace, and back and feeding us dinner. They're even feeding us dinner at a nice steakhouse when we arrive in Lousiville tomorrow night. We'll be bourbon hunting on the way up, there's 6 of us and we rented a 10 passenger van....I'm stoked about this!!
I guess you're going to be moist for the entire trip. Have fun and be safe.
walstylez
PackFansXL said:

walstylez said:

I guess you're going to be moist for the entire trip. Have fun and be safe.
I've been moist for a while now. Especially after the Gunter news, haha.
So where are the "hot spots" for guy entertainment in Louisville? I mean...I was going to tweet at Coach Pitino to ask, but I have a lot of recruit's Mom's following me and stuff, so I figured that would be distasteful.
PackFansXL
Choose wisely, Wally. Enjoy the bourbon trail and avoid unnecessary expense.
NatePait94
Go to the local Hooters and ask your waitress where they fancy after working hours. It works. Just be genuine when asking and not perverted. LOL
walstylez
NatePait94 said:

Go to the local Hooters and ask your waitress where they fancy after working hours. It works. Just be genuine when asking and not perverted. LOL
HAHAHAH good call on that one!
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

My late F-I-L lived right outside Blacksburg, VA and Mellow Corn was his drink of choice. Drank it both straight as well as with Sun Drop. I'd never had it until he introduced it to me. Haven't had another drink of it since the day we buried him 10 years ago, and then we passed around the last 2 bottles he had in his cabinet. From what I remember, it was not bad for cheap liquor. Next time I'm in VA I'll check to see if it's in a local abc store.

I had a sales rep give me a bottle of Maker's Mark Private Select as a birthday gift in February. Plan to open it tomorrow to celebrate our son's 31 birthday and just announced engagement. Looking forward to trying it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.