All things Bourbon

284,710 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
brickturner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finished off my Rabbit Hole in two drinks and topping it off with a small Stagg Jr..
SexualChocolate
Winterville had MM FAE, EC Barrel Proof A121, Early Times, JW Dant, Penelope and a few Pitt County Picks. Went that way after getting 2nd dose vaccine in Rocky Mount on the way to the Crystal Coast.
SexualChocolate
wilmwolf80 said:

Know a lot of people that like OGD 114. I prefer the bottled in bond, but I'm not really a high proof guy. OGD BIB and Evan Williams BIB are two of my top ranked bottom shelve buys. If those are all I had to drink the rest of my life, I wouldn't complain.

Would love to do a blind test of a few BiB cheapies. JW Dant, JTS Brown , EW, OGD BIB, Early Times.
Bell Tower Grey
Poured a nice glass of MM 101 to celebrate the old goat being put out to pasture. Planning to make a Wake Co abc run tomorrow after leaving Perry's Gun Shop.
wilmwolf
Dant, Brown, and EW BIB are indistinguishable to me. I believe I've read that they are the exact same thing, just bottled for different markets. I've said it many times in here, but there is a lot of quality bourbon that isn't expensive or hard to find. I find myself more and more drawn to those and away from the hard to find stuff.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Bell Tower Grey
A customer in the Wilson store last week was buying Dant. He and the clerk talked about it quite favorably. I've never knowingly had that, but now I'm curious. Might have to pick up a bottle tomorrow.
Mormad
I really like jts brown
910wolf
Enjoying some Buffalo Trace tonight. I'm located in Wake County and spending next weekend in Cashiers, anything in particular I should look for while I'm there that is not available in Wake County?
SexualChocolate
Just for reference, a handle of JW Dant was $22 not including taxes. I like JTS Brown better but I do enjoy a great cheap bourbon like wilmwolf80 stated. Cheers to those pours celebrating the demise of Ol Roy!
wolfpackfan04
Do you use JTS Brown and OGD to make cocktails, or do you drink these straight? I'm looking to find some good, lower shelf bourbons to keep on hand to make cocktails with.
barnburner
wolfpackfan04 said:

Do you use JTS Brown and OGD to make cocktails, or do you drink these straight? I'm looking to find some good, lower shelf bourbons to keep on hand to make cocktails with.
I use Evan Williams BIB for cocktails..
wilmwolf
OGD makes excellent old fashioneds.
SexualChocolate
wilmwolf80 said:

OGD makes excellent old fashioneds.

This is correct. My other old fashioneds mix is Old Forester Rye.
Mormad
I really enjoy the JTS Brown OFs
Sierrawolf
Just opened a bottle of Blackened tonight. Not sure how I feel about it...maybe it will get better as the bottle goes on?
wilmwolf
Never had it. Always seemed a little hokey to me. Dave Pickerell is associated with it, and he's a legend in the whiskey world, but I've never been compelled to try it
Sierrawolf
I'm not sold on the brandy cask flavor
BollNCSU
The good stuff in my office.
wilmwolf
Yeah, that'll do.
barnburner
^^ that's more than I've ever seen!!
BollNCSU
I drank those bottles long ago - they are filled with root beer now for looks. I wish I had kept all my pappy and ole rip van winkle bottles as I have had a number of others. I remember before the craze seeing a 20 year on the shelf for $119 and I didn't buy it and then later I sold two of the 20 years I had for around $250 each after paying like $119. It paid for my 23 year though as I only paid $225 for that so I really drank it for free by selling those 2, but would much rather have those 2 bottles back now! One time a liquor store owner called me and told me he had a shipment in and I bought all he had - like 6 different bottles in one stop all at cheap retail prices - not marked up now like they do. 2 of my neighbors also have had bottles of the 23 year - we live in a cool neighborhood in Georgia where a lot of people have very cool bars built in the basement - several Irish pubs in the basements here. We have an annual pub crawl here for St Patty's Day
wilmwolf
Rolling with some Russell's Reserve 10 year tonight. Really solid bourbon that is always available. I tend to lean towards the 101, but the Russell's is really good. The single barrels are also good, with more variance and typically a little younger.
SexualChocolate
Going to open the 4 Roses SIB Barrel Strength NC pick tonight. Cheers!
barnburner
For me this is the last bourbon weekend until after summer. Doing some Old Soul just for the fun of it.
Bell Tower Grey
burnbarn said:

For me this is the last bourbon weekend until after summer. Doing some Old Soul just for the fun of it.
Interesting. Mind sharing with us as to why? Clear alcohol during the summer?

Finished the last of the Maker's 101 tonight. Last little bit went into my infinity bottle.
barnburner
yes grey.. I switch to gin in the months without an 'r'. I like that summery taste.
TheStorm
Bell Tower Grey said:

burnbarn said:

Interesting. Mind sharing with us as to why? Clear alcohol during the summer?

Finished the last of the Maker's 101 tonight. Last little bit went into my infinity bottle.
Following Oyster Season?
Bell Tower Grey
burnbarn said:

yes grey.. I switch to gin in the months without an 'r'. I like that summery taste.
I tend to drink more gin and vodka during the summer, but there's always a drink of bourbon around here to be had at most any time.
Mormad
Cheers, fellas!
wilmwolf
I know a bunch of people with that table, lol. Cheers.
Mormad
Great day outside to chill on the patio with my mutt and an old fashioned made my favorite way
Mormad
Had a great OF at Gia made with old forester signature, house made cherry syrup, and curacao... Interesting. Was really good.
SexualChocolate
Had a Makers tasting of RC6, SE4 and FAE. All were really tasty. Probably would go SE4>RC6>FAE but they are all fantastic.
wilmwolf
Good call, the SE4 is my favorite Maker's ever.
wilmwolf
Hope everyone enjoys a mint julep or three this afternoon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.