All things Bourbon

284,773 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
RvaWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was told by an ABC employee in Kitty Hawk that there is a major shortage of truck drivers so they cant distribute out of Raleigh like they used to. I'm in Va and we have had no issues with supply so I tend to think it's a local NC issue.
wilmwolf
They just need to get the guys that normally follow the trucks around to buy up all the good stuff before it hits the shelves to start driving the trucks.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
barnburner
Shortage of bottles and caps too
wilmwolf
I tend to not give Elijah Craig enough love. The barrel proof gets a lot of press, but the small batch is a really good bourbon. I wish it was still 12 years old, but even as is, it's a very good bourbon.
wilmwolf
burnbarn said:

Maybe I can sell them back my empties.
Sierrawolf
Bought a bottle of Bardstown Discovery #5 today. Excited to try itI've had 3&4 at a friends house and really enjoyed them both.
wilmwolf
I liked that one.
TheStorm
burnbarn said:

Shortage of everything... groceries, meats, furniture, new vehicles which then affects used vehicles - everything.

It's ridiculous. It's not Covid either, it's policy.
SexualChocolate
Really good. Bought a few backups of that one.
RvaWolf
The Elijah Craig small batch is a very good, cost effective, daily drinker. Really like the Barrel Proof (some better than others) and the toasted barrel is good, but wouldn't break the bank on it.
PackFansXL
PackFansXL said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/07/its-time-to-allow-bourbon-in-our-mailboxes/

Quote:

Unsurprisingly, consumers are becoming increasingly vocal about their support for alcohol shipping. The Distilled Spirits Council just released a survey indicating that 80 percent of Americans think distillers should be permitted to ship liquor to consumers' doorsteps.

I posted this a few days ago and admit I was surprised there were no comments regarding decades old laws that prohibit liquor sales across state lines. Thoughts?
wilmwolf
PackFansXL said:

PackFansXL said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/07/its-time-to-allow-bourbon-in-our-mailboxes/

Quote:

Unsurprisingly, consumers are becoming increasingly vocal about their support for alcohol shipping. The Distilled Spirits Council just released a survey indicating that 80 percent of Americans think distillers should be permitted to ship liquor to consumers' doorsteps.

I posted this a few days ago and admit I was surprised there were no comments regarding decades old laws that prohibit liquor sales across state lines. Thoughts?

Sorry, I missed this. The liquor distribution system is such a convoluted web of laws and regulations. You have individual state laws, such as ours, that prohibit shipping liquor. Then you have the federal laws that prevent distillers from selling their products direct to consumers. The three tiered system, distillery-distributor-retail, is full of corruption and shady practices that hurt not only the consumer, but the distiller as well. I'm not sure what it would take to get it all changed.
WolfpackCPA
PackFansXL said:

PackFansXL said:

Quote:

Would be all for this and getting rid of the middle man. Bourbon companies are missing out on so much money and could use that to increase supply. Some of these bourbons shouldn't be so hard to find.
SexualChocolate
It is against the law to deliver spirituous liquor from distillers to customers in NC. Nobody wants to lose their permit both federally and on the State level. However, there is some companies that will deliver spirituous liquor to customers in NC. Technically, it is illegal but the enforcement is sporadic at best so companies will try it. Mash and Grape is one that comes to mind and some out of state liquor stores will ship.

The three tier system was created because of prohibition. There were people that were dying from alcohol poisoning and they wanted to make sure the legitimate distillers were selling to legitimate wholesalers or retailers and then to the ultimate consumers. Today, it is argued that the three tiered system makes it harder for Youth to obtain alcohol. There are 17 controlled states that control the distribution of Alcohol. Of those 17, there are 7(includes NC) that has State controlled liquor stores. NC ranks 48th per capita in spirituous liquor consumption but 6th in spirituous liquor revenue. To give you a comparison with a privatized state. SC ranks 30th in per capita consumption but 26th in revenue for spirituous liquor.

Many years ago under Purdue, there was a push to move to privatization but the revenues were too good to argue. Is there a quid pro quo with jobs and great bourbon being given to people? I'm sure it is still happening. Everybody remembers the story's like this one that still leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100226/News/605051842%3ftemplate=ampart

What's the future? The laws have progressively changed for the better such as Pop the cork, tastings, selling bottles at distilleries and allowing craft beer bars, wine bars and others to sell alcohol without selling food. They recently also allowed craft beer bars to sell liquor as well if they get the correct permit. There are a few laws that you may see in the future such as allowing distillers in NC to sell and ship into neighboring states if their state law allows it. Another bill introduced this year also would allow people in NC to trade to others in North Carolina bottles of liquor.

SexualChocolate
For those who like golf and bourbon. Jason sounds a cool guy to share a pour with.

Cheers!
SexualChocolate
If anybody is near Southport. Wilmington peeps. Loco Jo's bar and grill is selling a Single Barrel Pick of Old Foresters Barrel Proof. I have a pick from KY and it was fantastic. Can be purchased at the bar.

Here is the info..

Chuck and Nikki are very excited to announce a very special Whiskey available only at Loco Jo's. The Neville Effect Edition 1 is a collaboration with our friends Rebellion NC and will be the first in a series of single barrel selections. Available starting today. Thank you to Old Forester for helping us with this special offering.
#OldForester #letsgetloco #Southportfoodies #barrelproof

WolfpackCPA
Can you also buy a bottle at Rebellion? Assuming this reference is to the restaurant in downtown Wilmington?
SexualChocolate
WolfpackCPA said:

Can you also buy a bottle at Rebellion? Assuming this reference is to the restaurant in downtown Wilmington?

I'm not sure but the Facebook post that I saw was from the place at Southport.
TheStorm
Damn. Just met a couple of college buddies for lunch and drinks on the Southport waterfront yesterday. Was there for 3 hours but at the wrong place.
wilmwolf
Trying the Pinhook orange top bourbon heist tonight. You can tell it's on the young side, but it shows promise.
wilmwolf
Wild Turkey Rate Breed tonight. I've seen some crazy things written about this one in the last year, that it beat Pappy in a blind test, yadda yadda. I really like Wild Turkey, but this is a whole different animal than pappy. I hate seeing reasonably priced, available stuff get hyped up. This and Elijah Craig are two of my favorite barrel proof bourbons, but I hope it doesn't end up scarce.
SexualChocolate
Had to go to Charlotte for soccer so I went to State line and Frugal's in Fort Mill. Picked up the Old Bardstown that is made by Willet. This is their new product that actually was made from 100% distilled Willet barrels. All other Willet products are sourced. For $23 this was really good and would buy again. I assume NC will get these but not sure.
st8ofdenial
SexualChocolate said:

Had to go to Charlotte for soccer so I went to State line and Frugal's in Fort Mill. Picked up the Old Bardstown that is made by Willet. This is their new product that actually was made from 100% distilled Willet barrels. All other Willet products are sourced. For $23 this was really good and would buy again. I assume NC will get these but not sure.

Willet does not ship to controlled states
SexualChocolate
st8ofdenial said:

SexualChocolate said:

Thanks! You are correct.
st8ofdenial
SexualChocolate said:

st8ofdenial said:

SexualChocolate said:

Thanks! You are correct.
New that before when I found a Pot Still in DC and that shop owner told me that, but had it confirmed when I was in their gift shot buying Pore Kentucky and Old Bardstown. Worker asked where I was from, said NC, and the first comment was, yeah, we don't ship there becasue of the ABC board.
SexualChocolate
For a slightly higher priced bourbon that you can find, this is really good.
BollNCSU
Was able to get this bottle at a charity auction. Anxious to try it. I have never seen a Weller 12 before but the red bottle Weller Antique is one of my absolute favorites.
RvaWolf
I actually like the KC 12yr as much as the 15yr at half the price.
wilmwolf
Knob Creek is another under appreciated bourbon. I like it more than anything else in Beam's lineup. They are also the only brand I can think of that took an age statement off and actually brought it back when they replenished their stocks, which they did with the 9 year small batch.
barnburner
I have never seen the 12 year Knob on the shelf.. I just missed a few months ago. I agree Wilm... Knob Creek single barrel is a fine bourbon.
Sierrawolf
Went to Hoppy Endings with some friends for my birthday last weekend. Got to check off some "bucket list" bourbons. Here were my personal rankings

-Old Forester Birthday Bourbon(2017)
-Elmer T Lee
-Eagle Rare 17(had an almost musty old flavor that was a little off putting)
-1792 BiB
-Makers 2020 Limited Release(had way more heat than I expected)

Sadly they didn't have RR13 yet. I'll definitely go back. That place has literally anything you could want to try.
WolfpackCPA
That is a good list - I find the birthday bottle to be one of the most unique in the bourbon world.

I haven't heard of anybody find RR13 in NC yet. I think one guy on this board said he did however. I have been looking for it as well.
wilmwolf
WolfpackCPA said:

That is a good list - I find the birthday bottle to be one of the most unique in the bourbon world.

I haven't heard of anybody find RR13 in NC yet. I think one guy on this board said he did however. I have been looking for it as well.
I know of someone that got a whole case in the western part of the state. I actually saw the picture where that store took delivery of a big stack of cases of it for some reason. Based on the numbers, individual stores should've only gotten a case or two each, so that's probably the reason it hasn't made its way across the state as much. I honestly haven't been out looking in months, so while I haven't found it, I haven't really looked for it either. It's frustrating to me, because two years ago, any of the Wild Turkey special releases sat on the shelf forever, but people have gotten wise to it, even though they were about the last distillery to fall victim to the bourbon hype. It was good while it lasted.
RvaWolf
Tried to do my part last night to help the Team. Started with Old Forester sngl Barrel barrel strength, transitioned to Eagle Rare, capped off with Buffalo Trace. May have to ride this combination until the winning streak stops!
wilmwolf
RvaWolf said:

Tried to do my part last night to help the Team. Started with Old Forester sngl Barrel barrel strength, transitioned to Eagle Rare, capped off with Buffalo Trace. May have to ride this combination until the winning streak stops!
Nice. I had one too many glasses of Ezra Brooks Distillers Collection. Feeling it this morning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.