All things Bourbon

284,529 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
WolfpackCPA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Got a Elijah Craig single barrel this week not sure I have seen it before.
RvaWolf
I hate when the All Things Bourbon thread disappears from the first page, it's the only thing I come onto the Water Cooler for. So...

What you drinkin this weekend?

I just got a Elijah Craig barrel proof private pick that comes in at 130.1 proof that I'm going to crack tonight.
barnburner
What am I drinking?????? For summer I am drinking gin and shop for bourbon when I am out of town. Heading to TX and NOLA in a few weeks and will poke around there.

Hey Wilm... I went to the ABC store in Hampstead over Memorial Day. It was pretty nicely stocked and had a few things never in stock in Raleigh.

Have a good weekend!
wilmwolf
Most Friday evenings I'll grab two or three random bottles from the shelf and have an assortment for my relaxing Friday afternoon pours. Sometimes I'll start with something a little nicer and then have some trusty 101 or something for the few after that. I really only normally drink Friday nights, maybe Saturday.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
TheStorm
RvaWolf said:

I just got a Elijah Craig barrel proof private pick that comes in at 130.1 proof that I'm going to crack tonight.
Damn. That sounds tasty!
PackFansXL
TheStorm said:

RvaWolf said:

Damn. That sounds tasty!
I have had plenty of 100 proof bottles of bourbon. The hottest I bought was a 114 proof Noah's Mill. This 130 proof stuff sounds like it would be like yelling "hit me with your best shot" right before taking a bite out of a habanero pepper. Assuming you're sipping this stuff neat, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.
wilmwolf
I don't know how folks just sit around and drink stuff at 130 proof cowboy style. I'll do taste comparisons neat on stuff that high, but not drinking for pleasure. It's gotta have ice in it ( I don't really like drinking any lukewarm liquid, alcohol or not) and it's gotta melt some for me to drink the barrel proof stuff and enjoy it. I do find that the people I know that love the jet fuel proof stuff also tend to go for bolder things in other aspects- really hoppy IPAs or bitter sours, cigars, hot sauces and spicy food, etc. so I think it's just how some people are wired.
RvaWolf
Took me a long time to get to this point. 5 years ago I would have told you I was a 80-90 proof guy. Slowly I started tasting higher and higher proofs until my palate got used to it. Now I usually lean towards higher proof (107-115), but 130 is stretching my comfort zone. I was told it doesn't drink as hot, so I'll find out tonight.
TheStorm
RvaWolf said:

Took me a long time to get to this point. 5 years ago I would have told you I was a 80-90 proof guy. Slowly I started tasting higher and higher proofs until my palate got used to it. Now I usually lean towards higher proof (107-115), but 130 is stretching my comfort zone. I was told it doesn't drink as hot, so I'll find out tonight.
I bet you end up liking it just fine.

i understand what wilm is saying also (and I'm not a connoisseur like most of you guys either), but only the first two good pulls are going to taste hot... then it just becomes another standard three pour evening as far as I'm concerned.

At least that's been my experience.
Wolfer79
Bell Tower Grey

Picked this up today. Haven't seen it in my area and just happened across it. I've never had Cask Strength, even though I've enjoyed Maker's products for years. Not sure when I will open it, but would like to hear anyone's thoughts that has had this before. Thanks.
barnburner
I like the cask strength better but I also like the higher alcohols too.
wilmwolf
I like the cask strength. It's still relatively low proof as cask strength stuff goes, so not too hot. I actually made a blend one time using it and makers 46 that was pretty good. I did not like the cask strength version of makers 46, however. Like chewing toothpicks, way too much wood.
vanuel
wilmwolf80 said:

I don't know how folks just sit around and drink stuff at 130 proof cowboy style. I'll do taste comparisons neat on stuff that high, but not drinking for pleasure. It's gotta have ice in it ( I don't really like drinking any lukewarm liquid, alcohol or not) and it's gotta melt some for me to drink the barrel proof stuff and enjoy it. I do find that the people I know that love the jet fuel proof stuff also tend to go for bolder things in other aspects- really hoppy IPAs or bitter sours, cigars, hot sauces and spicy food, etc. so I think it's just how some people are wired.
I think it depends on what kind of taster you are. It runs the gamut from non taster to super taster. Amazon sells taste strips that will tell you where you fall on the scale. Food that would be inedible to a super taster might be pleasantly bold and spicy to a non taster. It comes down to how many taste buds per square inch. Taste is also variable depending on how often you eat or drink spicy things. I like barrel proofs because I am essentially a non taster but I like just a little water to open the whiskey up. IMO, some whiskey is watered down just for the purpose of the mass market. Elijah Craig at 94 proof is that way. It's all very subjective though.
barnburner
Picked up an Elijah Craig Private Barrel - SIngle Barrel today. Nothing on their website about it. $79.95.. 125.1 proof. aged 9 years
Never saw this one before....will taste in the fall
TheStorm
barnburner said:

Picked up an Elijah Craig Private Barrel - SIngle Barrel today. Nothing on their website about it. $79.95.. 125.1 proof. aged 9 years
Yum.
wilmwolf
barnburner said:

Likely selected by a store or group who chose to have it bottled at barrel proof. I like Elijah Craig a lot, always like trying single barrels.
JumboPack
My local liquor store in Atlanta had these come in about a month ago. Decided this was a good weekend to treat myself. Was a little "sweeter" than I expected. Almost like a rye. Enjoying my second pour now.

Happy Father's Day Weekend to all!
wilmwolf
Enjoy!
Mormad
Belle Meade reserve old fashioned tonight
PackFansXL
George Dickel 8 year is an inexpensive choice that I am consuming this evening.
JumboPack
Love it! Father's Day weekend is for bourbon.

I keep seeing the George Dickel bottled in bond and was wondering if anyone has tried it?
wilmwolf
Yes, I like it, but I like Dickel, it can be polarizing. I will say the for me, I like the Dickel 8 year bourbon and the 15 year single barrel Tennessee whiskey better than the bottled in bond.
JumboPack
wilmwolf80 said:

Yes, I like it, but I like Dickel, it can be polarizing. I will say the for me, I like the Dickel 8 year bourbon and the 15 year single barrel Tennessee whiskey better than the bottled in bond.
Thank you, I have heard Dickel has a unique taste. I'll look for the 8 year next time at the store to try it for the first time.
wilmwolf
It can be a bit confusing, as there is a Dickel #8, which is their Tennessee whiskey line, and a Dickel 8 year bourbon that has a black and gold label. The bourbon is the one you want to try.
Sierrawolf
wilmwolf80 said:

It can be a bit confusing, as there is a Dickel #8, which is their Tennessee whiskey line, and a Dickel 8 year bourbon that has a black and gold label. The bourbon is the one you want to try.

Is the 8year any better than the BiB? That's literally the only bottle that I just refused to finish. Was way too Smokey for me. I have a bottle of Knob Creek 12 that is approaching the same territory.
wilmwolf
The eight year is on the sweeter side of bourbon profiles. Closer to Buffalo Trace or Old Forester than Knob Creek.
barnburner
Just picked up a Heaven Hill Bonded 100 proof, 7 year today. Have never seen that name in the store before but they do own Elijah Craig... can't be too bad.. $59.95
RvaWolf
Really enjoy that bottle. very easy drinker. Can't find in Va but I always buy when I'm traveling and I see it.
barnburner
This was posted 6 days ago on youtube about bourbons thast you should be buying now b/c they soon will be difficult to find.

Interesting and sad
wilmwolf
barnburner said:

Just picked up a Heaven Hill Bonded 100 proof, 7 year today. Have never seen that name in the store before but they do own Elijah Craig... can't be too bad.. $59.95

I liked it better when it was 6 years old and $12 and only available in Kentucky. It's a good solid bourbon even after the rebranding they did a few years back, but no longer a value, which unfortunately is most all bourbon these days.
WolfpackCPA
Are you talking about the green label which I think is still available only in Kentucky?
wilmwolf
Nah, white label, six year bottled in bond. The green label isn't BIB. White label was discontinued in 2018, then brought back a year or two later as the current 7 year BIB. They also took the 7 year age statement off Virgin 101 around that same time.
WolfpackCPA
Thanks glad we have your bourbon knowledge to educate the rest of us!
TheStorm
WolfpackCPA said:

Thanks glad we have your bourbon knowledge to educate the rest of us!
If there was any one person that I'd ever like to go into an ABC Store and learn from, it would have to be wilmwolf80...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.