All things Bourbon

284,437 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
AlleyPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sierrawolf said:

I was in the store today and nothing really was calling my name so I decided to try a bottle of Virgin Bourbon. Always looking for a good budget bottle.

Virgin has become my go-to Bourbon for mixed drinks.
SexualChocolate
That Virgin is really great but it used to be cheaper, haha. Trying a Store Pick from New Riff Single Barrel 113.4 proof tonight. If you can find one in your travels, buy it.
AlleyPack
Has anyone been able to find Willet Pot Still anywhere in N.C.?

I bought a couple of bottles in S.C. (Myrtle Beach area) a few years ago. A buddy went down there this week and I asked him to look for some for me, but he didn't have any luck.
wilmwolf
Never seen it in NC. Never seen any Willett products in NC actually. Everything from them I have was purchased out of state.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
st8ofdenial
AlleyPack said:

Has anyone been able to find Willet Pot Still anywhere in N.C.?

I bought a couple of bottles in S.C. (Myrtle Beach area) a few years ago. A buddy went down there this week and I asked him to look for some for me, but he didn't have any luck.

I've heard on multiple occasions that Willet will not sale/distribute in a controlled state. I found my 2 bottles in MD and GA respectively.
SexualChocolate
Willet Pot Still is found pretty easily in most other states. I've had it a few times but I was not impressed but like I've said many times, don't rely on one person to buy bourbon, try it yourself because everyone's palate is different.
WolfpackCPA
Never seen Willet in NC, could find the pot in VA but was always looking the estate bottles.
AlleyPack
I'm in the mood for stopping by the store on the way home from work and picking up something new, so here's a list of a few I've never tried.

Opinions?...

Blade & Bow
Angel's Envy
Woodinville Straight
Old Elk Blended
Hudson Baby
Booker's
Baker's

Civilized
AlleyPack said:

I'm in the mood for stopping by the store on the way home from work and picking up something new, so here's a list of a few I've never tried.

Opinions?...

Blade & Bow
Angel's Envy
Woodinville Straight
Old Elk Blended
Hudson Baby
Booker's
Baker's

My wife got me some Hudson for Christmas last year.

I do not have a sophisticated palate, but I thought it tasted excellent.
wilmwolf
AlleyPack said:

Opinions?...

Blade & Bow
Angel's Envy
Woodinville Straight
Old Elk Blended
Hudson Baby
Booker's
Baker's

That's a very broad spectrum of flavors there for sure. The only thing there I haven't had is the Hudson. For me on the list it would be Baker's, old elk, and Woodinville. On the old elk, if they happen to have the Wheated version instead of the blended, I would highly recommend it. Greg Metze, the distiller for them, came from MGP and he knows how to put together a good bourbon from MGP stock which they are sourcing from. The Wheated should get way more love in that high wheat category, and people are starting to catch on.
AlleyPack
Some of my lower-proof faves to sip on here lately are Basil Hayden, Eagle Rare, Four Roses, etc.
Are any of the above similar in taste to any of those three?

Thanks
wilmwolf
AlleyPack said:

Some of my lower-proof faves to sip on here lately are Basil Hayden, Eagle Rare, Four Roses, etc.
Are any of the above similar in taste to any of those three?

Thanks

IMO Angels envy and old elk would be a little similar to Basil Hayden and Four Roses, as they are all on the higher rye side, though the AE is finished in wine barrels, so that will be different. Booker's and Baker's will have similarities with Basil Hayden since they are all Beam, but if you like lighter sippers, that wouldn't be Booker's, it's a heavy hitter. Nothing on your list really similar to eagle Rare, although Woodinville does have some Buffalo Trace esque notes to me.
AlleyPack
Awesome, thanks for the info.
AlleyPack
Welp, I ended up finding/buying a bottle of Widow Jane 10 Year -- something that I've never seen my local store carry before.
I've heard good things about the brand before, so here's hoping it ends up being a good pour.

We'll find out this weekend...
wilmwolf
Do me a favor and look on the label and tell me the state of distillation on it. Should say something like "______ bourbon bottled by Widow Jane distillery".
AlleyPack
wilmwolf80 said:

Do me a favor and look on the label and tell me the state of distillation on it. Should say something like "______ bourbon bottled by Widow Jane distillery".

It says: KY, TN, IN bourbon bottled by Widow Jane Distillery Brooklyn, NY
wilmwolf
Cool, thanks. So that will be a blend of bourbon sourced from Dickel in TN, MGP in Indiana, and more than likely Barton in Kentucky. The reason I ask is because they source from different places, and depending on how old the bottle, they could be a blend of those or just from one.
barnburner
I like Bookers and Bakers
SexualChocolate
Civilized said:

AlleyPack said:

Opinions?...

Blade & Bow
Angel's Envy
Woodinville Straight
Old Elk Blended
Hudson Baby
Booker's
Baker's

My wife got me some Hudson for Christmas last year.

I do not have a sophisticated palate, but I thought it tasted excellent.

I would try the Bakers or Woodville. I've had everything except Hudson.
SexualChocolate
Had a pour of JTS Brown BIB last night. It is sold in NC but usually hard to find. It is a cheap bottle but I have to say, it was really good. I'd buy again, if I saw it.
wilmwolf
Very good budget pour. I've actually read that JTS Brown, JW Dant, and Even Williams BIB are all the exact same bourbon, just labeled differently. I've never tried them side by side, but I did have the Brown a few months ago and it tastes just like the EW white label to me.
SexualChocolate
I got a bottle of JW Dant also that I will try side by side with JTS Brown. I'll let you know what I think.
BBW12OG
My territory for work covers all the way over to Minnesota. Some of the bottles you see in Walgreen's, Meijer ( think Wal Mart ) and gas stations across the Midwest would blow you minds.... I have seen Blanton's at a gas station in Wisconsin for $85.00. Only problem is most of the time I'm flying and do not trust the baggage handlers to not bust a bottle of bourbon regardless of how tight I wrap it in bubble wrap. I have thought about buying, going to a shipping hub and send it to myself. Wow...look into trying to do that LEGALLY.... it's a mess and certainly not one I would risk my career over if I were to get caught! Luckily I cover Kentucky and drive there. If any of you have not done the Bourbon Trail, the REAL one, not the one that focuses on the "new" hipster spots you really should. Woodford, Four Roses, Bardstown, Jim Beam, Buffalo Trace etc.... but caution you this, there are still a few dry counties in Kentucky so plan your overnight stay accordingly!
SexualChocolate
I have used a wine check and wrap with plenty of bubble wrap or use the bubble bottle wraps that you can get online. Heck, I even bubble wrapped a few bottles and put in my luggage. Never had a problem flying. It is totally legal to fly with unopened bottles of liquor but you must check your bag. You might get a little TSA card that they inspected it. You are not allowed to ship alcohol through any shipping company but it's done quite regularly. If you are caught, it is usually sent back to the sender with a letter telling you not to ship again. Most people don't know that you are not allowed to ship alcohol and most to all of the time, it is not policed. Seen people put boxes of macaroni in the box so you can't hear the liquid which I think is funny. Minnesota is a hotbed for bourbon. Friend in my beer group lives there and he gets really nice allocated bourbon.
BBW12OG
I have brought a few bottles home on the plane in checked baggage. It's not ideal but if it's a must have I do it. Yeah... shipping is a no-no but I know folks that do. Again, I'd be the one they decided to make an example of and if work got wind of it my bourbon loving ass would be history!
AlleyPack
Have any of you ever done bourbon "tastings" with a group of friends?

I wouldn't really worry about the "blind test" aspect of it all, because none of my crowd is really sophisticated enough at this point to go to that level of trouble. I'm okay with everyone seeing the bottle, tasting it and giving opinions, etc.

Rather, I'm wondering what types of foods I should have on hand -- both to clean the pallet between bourbons, but also to "mix well" and whatnot. I'd think you'd want to avoid spicy foods and be on the blander side of things. Chicken, breads?...
barnburner
Just picked up a county blend 2020 from Makers Mark at Cameron Village... it is a barrel blend selected by the staff.. we shall see. Had 3-4 bottles left on shelf. Said the female staff picked one a well that should be avail soon.
wilmwolf
Yes, all the time. Just for a palate cleanser, pretzels work well. Chocolate pairs well with bourbon, and Woodford actually includes chocolate in their tastings at the distillery.
SexualChocolate
I will say that tasting and ranking at the end is fun because it really shows what each person likes better. Mix it up between cheaper to nicer bottles. It's funny when the cheaper ones win.

Food: Pretzels, chocolate, nuts, Mild cheese and various meats all work well.

Enjoy!
wilmwolf
Blind tasting is extremely eye opening, no pun intended, even for people without an advanced palate. There's so many things you can do without spending a lot of money that can help you learn about bourbon and your palate. Using something like wild turkey 81 and 101, see if you can tell the difference in proof which can tell you if you like light sippers or heavy hitters. You can use a high rye bourbon like old granddad and a high wheat bourbon like Maker's and see if you can tell the difference and figure out which of the two main styles of bourbon you like better. Knob Creek 9 and 12 and see if you can see the effect an additional three years has on taste and if that change is worth the additional cost. You can do the Daviess County regular bourbon and their two different barrel finished versions, see if you can pick out the French oak versus the wine barrel finish and that's a good into to cask finishes. All kinds of fun to be had.
SexualChocolate
Great suggestions! I have done a tasting of a selection of 10 year old bourbons. We also did a blind tasting of only 107 Proof. Next is going to be Bottle In Bond.
AlleyPack
A friend picked up some Eagle Rare for me at a local Coast Guard Exchange.
I had forgotten how much I liked it!
barnburner
AlleyPack said:

A friend picked up some Eagle Rare for me at a local Coast Guard Exchange.
I had forgotten how much I liked it!
one of my faves too that has recently disappeared from the shelves in Raleigh
st8ofdenial
Just got my 1st bottle of Wellers Antique 107 they the Wake Co Lottery.

Buddy just picked up 1792 sweet wheat and a Midwinters Night Dram in West Jefferson for me. Excited to try all 3
Mormad
Been a good week. Picked up another bottle of Blanton's, then got AE rye and Rabbit Hole dareringer mid week. Enjoyed the different complex flavors of both. Old elk wheated, 3 bottles buffalo trace, rare breed, and svere ice maker on the way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.