All things Bourbon

286,725 Views | 2198 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ncsupack1
SexualChocolate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did crack it and it's delicious. Does not taste like 131 proof with a nice Rye finish. Super proud tonight!
Civilized
Huge!

What a fun day for the family, congrats!!!
TheStorm
SexualChocolate said:

Did crack it and it's delicious. Does not taste like 131 proof with a nice Rye finish. Super proud tonight!
Congrats to both of you! Must be a great feeling...
st8ofdenial
Bit the bullet and bought a Joseph Mangum Cigar Blend while in KY earlier this week.

Wife just had Thyroid surgery today, everything went perfect, so I'll dust off something good tonight to celebrate. Maybe a Weller 12, or Old Elk Infinity blend.
wilmwolf
Think I'm gonna have some Elijah Craig small batch tonight. On my list of bottles that I know I can walk into any store in the country and buy, it's probably in second place behind Wild Turkey 101.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
barnburner
Yep. That's my regular. Anyone want to fess up to having a bourbon for a 1pm Sat tip?
wilmwolf
I have a social obligation tomorrow evening that requires me to be upright and on good behavior, otherwise I might indulge. Especially since it's going to be cold outside, day drinking rules go out the window in the winter.
ushum
Definitely had some Calumet tonight. Made Duke/UNC entertaining.

PackFansXL
ushum said:

I'm not sure they made enough bourbon for me to find a game between those two prima donnas entertaining.
ushum
PackFansXL said:

ushum said:

I'm not sure they made enough bourbon for me to find a game between those two prima donnas entertaining.

Lol, always a good day because one of those are guaranteed to lose
stuartmcarthur5
barnburner said:

Yep. That's my regular. Anyone want to fess up to having a bourbon for a 1pm Sat tip?

I had some Four Roses Single Barrel for that game.
stuartmcarthur5
Didn't get the EH Taylor or Blantons, but I did get a Elijah Craig Toasted and Knob Creek 12 so not a terrible night
barnburner
I do not have any Rye, but I did pick up a Sazarac Rye this week.
JumboPack
I had the Elijah Craig barrel proof last night. At 121 proof it has the heat I like but the finish was meh.

We then proceeded to make old fashion's from the Dickel 8 yr, Michter Rye, and Whistle Pig 12 yr Rye.

We liked them all but the Rye's made a smooth old fashioned.
vanuel
barnburner said:

I do not have any Rye, but I did pick up a Sazarac Rye this week.
Sazerac is very reasonably priced good rye. Very good for cocktails.
vanuel
Pikesville is damn good rye. A little pricier than Michter's or Rittenhouse, but a really fine pour at 110 proof. Rare Breed Rye is a good one if you can find it. Only comes out a few times a year. All of those are excellent whiskey available at affordable price point. High West makes some rye that I really like, but now you're starting to creep on up there if you want the Rendezvous Rye, which is my favorite one of their lineup.
JumboPack
vanuel said:

Pikesville is damn good rye. A little pricier than Michter's or Rittenhouse, but a really fine pour at 110 proof. Rare Breed Rye is a good one if you can find it. Only comes out a few times a year. All of those are excellent whiskey available at affordable price point. High West makes some rye that I really like, but now you're starting to creep on up there if you want the Rendezvous Rye, which is my favorite one of their lineup.
I'll need to get a bottle of the Pikesville. Sounds like I would like that. Thank you.
JumboPack
What bourbon is everyone having for the Super Bowl? I haven't decided yet myself.
TheStorm
Saw two bottles (boxed) of Old Elk Infinity yesterday in one of my local stores... $149... Is that something that I need to go back and get tomorrow?

Meant to come on here and ask yesterday.
wilmwolf
The infinity blend is pretty widely available. I got one last year and it was pretty good, but costs about 3x what it should IMO. I like Old elk a lot, but that one was a miss for me personally.
barnburner
JumboPack said:

What bourbon is everyone having for the Super Bowl? I haven't decided yet myself.
I had a 1920..
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

The infinity blend is pretty widely available. I got one last year and it was pretty good, but costs about 3x what it should IMO. I like Old elk a lot, but that one was a miss for me personally.
All I needed to hear. Thanks.
JumboPack
barnburner said:

JumboPack said:

I had a 1920..
I ended up going with Sazerac Rye in a cocktail.

Atlanta has a distillery called ASW. I am looking to try their Fiddler Georgia Heartwood Bourbon which is a high wheat bourbon.

Has any tried their offerings yet?
stuartmcarthur5
Got a bottle of Michter's Small Batch Sour Mash and it is fantastic
Captain Chaos
Anybody have a recommendation for youtube reviewers they watch? I've been watching SRB Basement Bourbon bar and I enjoy them, I just don't always agree with what they think is good.
barnburner
I've watched a few of these people.... They are interesting and have different styles but things seem to change when there are blinded tastings I suspect that for everyone however. There are a few people that look like they have been drinking bourbon for about 3 months..I wish I knew how they got all their bottles!
wilmwolf
There really aren't any people out there doing reviews that I place a lot of stock. Bourbon is so hot that a lot of neophytes have gotten into the game producing content, and even most of the long tenured guys can be pretty full of it. Fred Minnick set off a shortage of Rare Breed by saying it beat pappy in his blind tasting. I'm not saying it can't be better than Pappy, but people out there hoarding Rare Breed because of what one dude said is stupid.

Taste is so subjective, and even your favorite bourbon can taste different from one day to the next based on so many different factors. I will sometimes look at a review for something new if I'm trying to determine how old it is or who really distilled it, but comparing tasting notes with someone who may have a drastically different palate than you may not be fruitful. Even the stuff I say on here should be taken with a grain of salt. I've really every book out there on whiskey, and spent more than half my like trying different bourbons, but I'm just a dude on a message board and I'm as full of it as anyone.
RvaWolf
I really enjoy listening to the dads drinking bourbon podcasts. Good banter between the 2 hosts and they mix up interviews with people in the bourbon world with shorter tasting note episodes. I find them entertaining and informative.
st8ofdenial
I've enjoyed the Mash & Drum guy. Mainly I like learning about new brands and such
griff17matt
Captain Chaos said:

Anybody have a recommendation for youtube reviewers they watch? I've been watching SRB Basement Bourbon bar and I enjoy them, I just don't always agree with what they think is good.

Not particularly a review channel but I love Whiskey Tribe's content.
wilmwolf
Picked up a barrel pick 10 year Elijah Craig barrel proof from the store today. Fairly hot, but pretty good as these barrel picks go. Not as good as the last barrel proof 12 year I got last year, but not bad.
barnburner
wilmwolf80 said:

Picked up a barrel pick 10 year Elijah Craig barrel proof from the store today. Fairly hot, but pretty good as these barrel picks go. Not as good as the last barrel proof 12 year I got last year, but not bad.

Got one of those too today. Nice get
TheStorm
Picked up an EC Toasted Barrel (94 Proof), Uncle Nearest Rye (100 Proof) and a Blanton's on Thursday at one of my local stores. Had never seen the Nearest Rye before. I was the morning after the truck and they said they got a big delivery of Blanton's, Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare (but I could only get one of those though). Still having allocated on the 2nd day after delivery almost never happens around here...

Then I go to my other local store yesterday to pick up some regular old Jack for tailgating at the hockey game tonight, and they have every single Old Forester that I've ever seen pictures of - and I'm shaking my head about already blowing my wad the day before, and I decide that I just have to leave it sitting there. It was torturous.
wilmwolf
Having Makers 46 tonight. Not the biggest Makers guy but 46 is always good.
AlleyPack
Heaven's Door double barrel.
No complaints.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.