All things Bourbon

346,772 Views | 2308 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by wilmwolf
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Certainly, Benchmark is part of the bottom shelf discussion. To me it has an almost sweet tea character to it. Very easy drinking. Funny enough, I've actually heard of places having shortages of it because of the hysteria for all things Buffalo Trace. They age it on the top floors of the rickhouse, exposed to hotter temperatures, which is what makes it so dark in color for only a three year old spirit. It's one dimensional, but most things on the bottom shelf are, and that's not a bad thing to me. You know what you are getting.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
barnburner
CloudPack said:

Buffalo Trace bourbon, which is somewhat of a challenge to come by in the triangle these days.

Interesting, I was down in Fl last week and every store I went into had Buffalo Trace... can never find it here but.....
barnburner
wilmwolf80 said:

would choose the EW BIB.

Just got a bottle $15.95. Have spent 2x for much worse. Thanks for the suggestion.
wilmwolf
No prob!
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
CloudPack
burnbarn said:

CloudPack said:

Buffalo Trace bourbon, which is somewhat of a challenge to come by in the triangle these days.

Interesting, I was down in Fl last week and every store I went into had Buffalo Trace... can never find it here but.....

It is a NC problem. The government regulates distribution which causes our availability issues. My personal favorite is Angels Envy which is also quite difficult to come by in the triangle. I went to California and they would have let me walk out with a case of it.
WolfpackCPA
Just got a bottle of EH single barrel and Elmer T Lee.

Been trying to get a bottle of bookers country ham, anybody tried it yet? I have heard good things
wilmwolf
Congrats. Every EHT single barrel I've had has been an oak bomb, not necessarily in a bad way, interested to see what you think. I have also been looking for Country Ham, but haven't seen it. In my area the Booker's releases seem to sit on the shelf, and they're always a few releases behind.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
WolfpackCPA
wilmwolf80 said:

Congrats. Every EHT single barrel I've had has been an oak bomb, not necessarily in a bad way, interested to see what you think. I have also been looking for Country Ham, but haven't seen it. In my area the Booker's releases seem to sit on the shelf, and they're always a few releases behind.
I was able to find Beaten Biscuits and I would recommend it.
barnburner
I have a beaten biscuit.. very nice as are all Bookers.. I think I saw one at Cameron Village last week.
vanuel
Booker's is never actually bad, it's just that some batches are a little better than others. Country Ham was really good. I have not had the Beaten Biscuits batch yet, but I'm sure it's damn tasty.
WolfpackCPA
I feel like we should get a bourbon trading system going as some bottles that are easier to find in certain states.

I have been looking for George Dickel bottle in bond and can't find it anywhere.

Recently snagged a Van Winkle 12 year in the VA lottery, what special occasion would people open it for?

This month we have a couple 2k+ retail bottles going up and if I won I would be happy to pay for it.
wilmwolf
Does Wednesday count as a special occasion? Seriously, I'd open it any time. There was a time that I kept special bottles unopened, but I've decided that we aren't guaranteed tomorrow, may as well try them while you can. I have a buddy that has the most impressive collection of bottles of anyone I know, but he doesn't open any of them. I just don't see the point. Hope you enjoy it!
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
wolfpack1437
WolfpackCPA said:

I feel like we should get a bourbon trading system going as some bottles that are easier to find in certain states.

I have been looking for George Dickel bottle in bond and can't find it anywhere.

Recently snagged a Van Winkle 12 year in the VA lottery, what special occasion would people open it for?

This month we have a couple 2k+ retail bottles going up and if I won I would be happy to pay for it.
There are a bunch of Facebook groups you can trade with people. Local ones are NCBS, Raleigh Bourbon and Banter. There are also ones you can trade nationally with people from other states. Just use bourbon as a search term for Facebook groups
NatePait94
On a business trip up and down the east coast for 2 weeks. Before leaving I grabbed Woodford Reserve Distiller Select, Buffalo Trace, Basil Haydens, and Bulleit 10 year. It's been 7 days and all I have left are half the buffalo and half Bulleit 10 year.

Also tried a Scottish ale in Indianapolis called the Wee Mac that I really enjoyed.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
WolfpackCPA
Currently drinking Mitcher's sour mash, it's good but I would prefer the Rye.

Been really looking hard for the toasted barrel and 10 year.
vanuel
The toasted barrel and the 10 yr usually come out mid year to fall. They are both in low supply and highly sought after. I have never seen either on the shelf. The 10 yr comes three to a case and most stores will likely get only 1 or 2 cases. 6 bottles will disappear in less than an hour unless you can find a store that will hold one for you. They both go for absurd money on the internet. Not trying to discourage you but that is what you are up against.
wilmwolf
I've only ever seen one ten year in the wild in NC, and that was a few years ago. I passed on it because there were a couple of other things I was there to get, and I've regretted it ever since.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
JocoPack
I was lucky enough to snag a bottle of the LR toasted barrel finish last year. Haven't even opened it yet to be honest. Maybe I crack it open at the bourbon gathering at CF Stadium this year?
Captain Chaos
Bought a bottle of Mitcher's 10 year in Chapel Hill on Friday. They had several bottles behind the counter.
wolfpackfan04
Has anyone ever had Kentucky Owl? A friend bought a bottle because he was told it was good, but he hasn't tried it yet.
wilmwolf
Yes. I had batch four or five at a friend's house some time back. Good, but not worth what it goes for IMO. Even the new "confiscated" line, which is supposedly more available, is still over priced to me. To be fair, I think most everything is over priced right now. When I've seen it in stores, I've passed, but I wouldn't turn down a pour.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
WolfpackCPA
Drinking the Knob Creek quarter oak - not as woody as I was hoping - I guess I will need to keep looking for the toasted barrel for a comparison.

Going on a trip to Colorado this weekend and look forward to making a stop to see if they have anything different out west.
barnburner
That Breckenridge is not bad..
wolfpackfan04
I just finished my first bottle of Breckinridge. I would buy it again.
vanuel
wolfpackfan04 said:

Has anyone ever had Kentucky Owl? A friend bought a bottle because he was told it was good, but he hasn't tried it yet.
At one point, they had a lot of really good juice that they were buying and they laid down some really nice bottles. The Batch 1 rye was really good. The Batch 2 rye was good but less so. Then they sold out to Stoli. Downhill from there. I have the Batch 3 rye and the Confiscated bourbon. Both are very expensive and underwhelming. These sourced whiskies can go to pot overnight. I am done with them. At 200 dollars a bottle, you better come strong as hell every time.
wilmwolf
Larceny Barrel Proof and Elijah Craig Rye spotted in stores in NC. Picked up both, but haven't tried either yet.

The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
WolfpackCPA
wilmwolf80 said:

Larceny Barrel Proof and Elijah Craig Rye spotted in stores in NC. Picked up both, but haven't tried either yet.

Both of those are on my list, cracked very old Barton tonight and was very impressed
wilmwolf
Figured may as well bring this back to the top with no sports to discuss.

I enjoyed the Larceny BP. I've seen some mixed reviews on it, but I found it to be good. It's definitely got kick, and the high octane stuff typically isn't my favorite, but I thought it was pretty good. I'd put it in the same arena as Makers Cask Strength, since both are high proof with high wheat mash bills. Obviously if you don't like larceny, you won't like it proofed up. I think it will be a fun one to follow across the three releases each year. Just like ECBP, I'm sure there will be a big difference from batch to batch.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
barnburner
Now that Wolfpack games are off I'll probably drink much less!
barnburner
BTW saw Makers Mark cask strength is on sale $10 off this month. Have not been a MM fan in the past but have never had this one. Comments?
wilmwolf
To me, the cask strength amplifies the flavors, of any bourbon, both good and bad. Right now, high proof stuff is very popular, but IMO if you don't like the flavors at normal bottle proof, you won't like it at cask strength. Now, if you don't like regular Makers because you feel like it isn't strong enough, or is watery or something, then it might be good to try the cask strength. I personally prefer Makers 46, and the private select versions, to the normal or cask strength expressions.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
Sierrawolf
Went and did the bourbon trail last weekend. I was disappointed of the lack of available bottles of "rare" stuff. Tried to buy a few things that we can't find at home.

Makers 101
Four Roses Small Batch Select
Buffalo Trace(it was cheap)
Old Forester 1910
Old Fitzgerald(never tried it)

I did find 1792 Full Proof in lots of bars and loved it. Also did a Pappy flight of 10, 12 & 15.

wilmwolf
Yup, unfortunately most of the really rare stuff isn't any more available there than anywhere else. Makers, heaven Hill, Woodford, and others do have distillery only bottlings most of the time. I'm seeing now that the virus is shutting all the tours down, so you had good timing. Looks like you picked up some good bottles and had good tastings too. I'm looking forward to going back and hitting the ones I haven't been to when we play Louisville this year, if that still happens I guess.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
barnburner
Was at Cameron Village today.. Got a Four Roses Small Batch Select. Clerk said they had not had it before. Higher alcohol aged 6 and 7 years. One of the smoother high alcohol bottles.
May still have some!
wilmwolf
Nice find. That came out last year but had limited distribution, which has now been extended to include NC.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.