All things Bourbon

283,993 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Getting into some Russell's Reserve 10 year tonight. Always a solid bourbon. Not the value of 101, but a different profile that to me tastes more like the dusty Wild Turkey I've been able to try.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Mormad
A little pour of Blanton's tonight. Nice and neat.
Bell Tower Grey
Had a sales rep friend that went to the Derby last weekend; he and his wife stayed part of this week in KY, just visiting. Took the Bourbon Trail, looked at some property to potentially retire to. Brought me a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked today, plus the money I won on my bet on Medina Spirit.

Have never drank the Double Oaked before. Not a bad drink at all. A little sweet to my palate, but I like it.
wilmwolf
It's pretty sweet. I hear marshmallows frequently when folks try it. I'm not really a big fan of Woodford, but I like the double oaked on occasion.
Bell Tower Grey
That's it! I was trying to figure out what it was - marshmallows is exactly right.
wilmwolf
A friend gave me a sample of a Wilderness Trail single barrel and I was pretty impressed. As far as I know they aren't available in NC, but I think they are in SC so I may try to find some down in Myrtle next time I go that way.
SexualChocolate
wilmwolf80 said:

A friend gave me a sample of a Wilderness Trail single barrel and I was pretty impressed. As far as I know they aren't available in NC, but I think they are in SC so I may try to find some down in Myrtle next time I go that way.

Yes, hit a Total Wine Or Pavillon and they have it. I've never sampled it either.
wilmwolf
Thanks!
GreeneGoblin
Finally found a bottle of Blantons this week at... wait for it... Whole Foods
barnburner
Finished off the KY spirit tonight I see it is on sale this month.
wilmwolf
I need to grab another then.
wilmwolf
Bump, because all the other threads on this board are full of stupidity. Having an Old Elk Wheated bourbon tonight. Very good.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

Bump, because all the other threads on this board are full of stupidity. Having an Old Elk Wheated bourbon tonight. Very good.
With you. Back to my standard Maker's 46 about 4 fingers deep, with a cube.
st8ofdenial
Enjoying some 1792 small batch in Coral Bay on St. John!
wilmwolf
You win the location contest, for sure. Enjoy!
st8ofdenial
There is a first time for everything
Civilized
Enemy made.

Just kidding brother, super jelly, enjoy!!
wilmwolf
George Dickel Single Barrel tonight. People love it and hate it, but I like it. It's a nice change of pace from the rye heavy stuff I've been drinking lately.
TheStorm
Would love it if you seasoned experts would start posting a picture of these bottles when you open them so some of us novices know exactly what to look for...
Bell Tower Grey
TheStorm said:

Would love it if you seasoned experts would start posting a picture of these bottles when you open them so some of us novices know exactly what to look for...
Mormad
TheStorm said:

PackFansXL
Mormad said:

TheStorm said:

Does WW80 know that you're stalking his stash?
wilmwolf
Lol, if that's the whole stash, he's got a long way to go.
PackFansXL
Mormad
wilmwolf80 said:

Haha, just getting started, my friend!
wilmwolf
Mormad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Haha, just getting started, my friend!

You should quit while you're ahead!
TheStorm
Bell Tower Grey said:

TheStorm said:

That one in the middle really has me intrigued...
TheStorm
Mormad said:

TheStorm said:

Good stuff... but now it makes me want to ask how many gas containers you filled up a day during the Colonial Pipeline crisis?
AlleyPack
I just selected Longbranch (Wild Turkey) as my free quarterly bottle from Flaviar. (I got a 6-month membership as a gift)

It was something I'd never tried before, so I figured what the heck -- and I generally enjoy the WT line.
Anyone had it?
wilmwolf
I think it's pretty good. I don't get much, if anything from the mesquite charcoal process that is supposed to set it apart. In general, I don't think it gets a lot of love from hardcore bourbon guys because it has a relatively low proof for the price. I consider it more of an introductory product for people new to bourbon, and it does that well, along with the cool factor of the association with McConaughey.
Bell Tower Grey
TheStorm said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

TheStorm said:

That one in the middle really has me intrigued...
https://thewhiskeywash.com/reviews/whiskey-review-makers-mark-2021-limited-release-fae-01/
TheStorm
^ Thank you for that article.
Mormad
I'm still not sure i believe these guys lol. If i ate a bowl of cherries, papaya, and blackberries covered in brown sugar I'm not sure I'd be able to pick out the different flavors, and they're claiming they can get these subtleties amid all the corn and wood. My palate just won't ever get it. But I'm finding it fun to try for sure.
SexualChocolate
Trying Pinhook Vertical Series 5 yrs tonight. Has great reviews and the Vertical will only get better. Really good and for the proof and price $50, it's well worth it. Has great sweetness and an oak flavor. Saw this. I don't think u pass on future pinhook releases in vertical series.

The Vertical Series is a one-time opportunity to follow a group of barrels, all filled within months of each other, as they age.
Every year over the next 9 years, Pinhook will select 150 bourbon barrels and 50 rye barrels to be blended and proofed creating the most balanced expression for the vintage. Join us on the journey beginning with our inaugural 4 Year old bourbon and collect and enjoy the Vertical Series in annual releases from age 4 to age 12.
Bell Tower Grey
SexualChocolate said:

Trying Pinhook Vertical Series 5 yrs tonight. Has great reviews and the Vertical will only get better. Really good and for the proof and price $50, it's well worth it. Has great sweetness and an oak flavor. Saw this. I don't think u pass on future pinhook releases in vertical series.

The Vertical Series is a one-time opportunity to follow a group of barrels, all filled within months of each other, as they age.
Every year over the next 9 years, Pinhook will select 150 bourbon barrels and 50 rye barrels to be blended and proofed creating the most balanced expression for the vintage. Join us on the journey beginning with our inaugural 4 Year old bourbon and collect and enjoy the Vertical Series in annual releases from age 4 to age 12.
Sounds interesting. Is this available in NC? If so, do you mind sharing where you purchase yours?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.