All things Bourbon

286,842 Views | 2198 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ncsupack1
CJwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheStorm said:

I had a client send me up to Emerald Isle yesterday to look at a Commercial Property for him, and I ducked into the Swansboro store on my way back and picked up a Booker's specifically for drinking purposes.

When I got back, I compared it to the other two bottles that I still haven't opened and it appears that they are all the same, except 1st one was 2023 Q1, 2nd was 2023 Q2 and yesterday's is 2023 Q3. I can't see anything else different about them.

What's the rule of thumb on this? Open the newest one first?

I'm looking forward to having an "instant impact" proof open and available for drinking...
I had the Bookers Storyteller (4th offering this year) last week, and it was delicious. Drank much lower than its proof of 126. Tasty.

If you aren't seeing the difference, check the sticker on the bottle. I believe it has the name vertically written along the side.

I have heard that the Apprentice batch wasn't great, but I never had it.
stuartmcarthur5
Bought this in August of 2022 and now that my Masters is completed, I am finally able to open and enjoy it
stuartmcarthur5
Also got these incredible bottles as a graduation gift.
mdreid
hows the peerless, ive seen it several times but the price scares me away
stuartmcarthur5
This one is a single barrel which I got at the distillery in 2022 so this one might not be available. All of the Peerless products I've tried are fantastic and imo worth the price
TheStorm
CJwolf said:

TheStorm said:

I had a client send me up to Emerald Isle yesterday to look at a Commercial Property for him, and I ducked into the Swansboro store on my way back and picked up a Booker's specifically for drinking purposes.

When I got back, I compared it to the other two bottles that I still haven't opened and it appears that they are all the same, except 1st one was 2023 Q1, 2nd was 2023 Q2 and yesterday's is 2023 Q3. I can't see anything else different about them.

I'm looking forward to having an "instant impact" proof open and available for drinking...
I had the Bookers Storyteller (4th offering this year) last week, and it was delicious. Drank much lower than its proof of 126. Tasty.

If you aren't seeing the difference, check the sticker on the bottle. I believe it has the name vertically written along the side.

Done.

2023 Q1 is "Charlie's Batch"
2023 Q2 is "Apprentice Batch"
2023 Q3 is "Mighty Fine Batch"
TheStorm
TheStorm said:

CJwolf said:

TheStorm said:

Done.

2023 Q1 is "Charlie's Batch"
2023 Q2 is "Apprentice Batch"
2023 Q3 is "Mighty Fine Batch"

They had the 2023 Q4 "The Storyteller Batch" on the shelf yesterday in Sneads Ferry... there were six bottles, so I picked up 2 - one to squirrel away for a couple of years, and one to drink now. Going to open it on Christmas Eve.

Also picked up a 2XO - American Oak... just like wilmwolf said, an entire row just sitting there on the shelf... will get into that one over the holidays at some point as well. Thought the $46 price was nice. We'll see how it tastes later.

Sent one of my old fraternity brothers from State my Duke tickets for MBB (I buy tickets, but don't go anymore and just give them away to various people)... about a week later, I get a Weller's Antique 107 (Red Label) delivered to my house. Dude must have some connections is all I can figure for him to be sending me that!
stuartmcarthur5
CJwolf said:

TheStorm said:

I have the Apprentice batch and it's a bit hot by itsself but with an ice cube it really opens it up and I think its fantastic
wilmwolf
They must've had a very high yield on the most recent Booker's batch, because there's a ton of it in stores around me. It's not really my favorite, of I'm going to drink something high proof, there are other flavor profiles I prefer.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
SexualChocolate
Drinking a Raleigh Distillery Honey Barrel Finished Whiskey tonight to start. High priced but still tasty. Love what craft distillers are doing. Paragon from Southern Star is another.
barnburner
Was gifted a Still Austin Cask Strength. Look forward to trying it out soon
Oldsouljer
I need whiskey for marinades, any recs?
pluralitus
Has anyone seen little book on shelves anywhere? I took a trip to Kentucky and saw a bottle at Jim Beam but wasn't able to get it. I assumed eventually I'd find one (maybe a different chapter) but I've yet to see another...
wilmwolf
I bought the first four chapters in stores in NC. I saw chapter 5 in stores but wasn't interested based on the composition. I haven't seen chapter 6.
pluralitus
wilmwolf said:

I bought the first four chapters in stores in NC. I saw chapter 5 in stores but wasn't interested based on the composition. I haven't seen chapter 6.

Thanks. It's nice to know it at least shows up here. I was afraid it was a "lottery only" thing. Bookers is available-ish and I love it so I'm excited to try little book.
Oldsouljer
ABC store is conveniently located next to the gym so stopped and got some Mellow Corn on the way home. Looking forward to incorporating into some of my marinades. Had no whiskey this past weekend and had to sub blackstrap in its place…which turned out some chicken that my picky spouse raved about, but I still have yet to grill my blood Orange whiskey marinaded filets. Can't wait.
wilmwolf
I think I might have some barrel proof Larceny this evening. I've had a bad cough since having the vid on Christmas, and I've tried everything else to get rid of it, so may as well try some bourbon.
Oldsouljer
wilmwolf said:

I think I might have some barrel proof Larceny this evening. I've had a bad cough since having the vid on Christmas, and I've tried everything else to get rid of it, so may as well try some bourbon.
Lot of that going around last month. Everybody under my roof got it in September. I usually shake the worst of it in 48-72 hours but the cough stays for a month.
pack2010
barnburner said:

Still does some really good stuff. I live in ATX go there regularly. Just bought their seasonal "blue corn" BiB and gonna crack that in the next week or two. Enjoy
barnburner
pack2010 said:

barnburner said:

Still does some really good stuff. I live in ATX go there regularly. Just bought their seasonal "blue corn" BiB and gonna crack that in the next week or two. Enjoy
Thanks! I hit it about a week ago.. even though it is a 2 year, it drank significantly older. I'm glad I have and will try another next trip.
SexualChocolate
If you find a 1924 OF 10 yr, buy it. Trust me, it's delicious.
curmudgeon.zen

Scored this one today. Never tried a Redwood Empire offering before, so curious to see what's what.
Log off. Go outside.
curmudgeon.zen
SexualChocolate said:

I'm on the lookout for this one.
Log off. Go outside.
barnburner
curmudgeon.zen said:

SexualChocolate said:

I'm on the lookout for this one.

I was the 8th person to get there sadly
RvaWolf
I really enjoy Redwood. They have a cool story and good juice.
RvaWolf
Seelbach's currently has a Starlight 108 proof homey finished Bourbon that is delicious. I'm normally not a finished bourbon guy but this is really good and you never see it for sale.

SexualChocolate
Got a half of pour at Hoppy Endings for $15 of OF 1924 just to see if good or not.
ncsupack1
Forgot about this thread, will be following.
barnburner
SexualChocolate said:

Got a half of pour at Hoppy Endings for $15 of OF 1924 just to see if good or not.
and.............
SexualChocolate
SexualChocolate said:

AlleyPack
So... I acquired a used filing cabinet awhile back, and I'm just now getting around to cleaning it up -- which includes throwing out some old file hangers that were left in there.

At the very back of the bottom shelf was a brown paper bag, with this in it...
Any way to i.d. the year of it -- from the label and/or bottle markings?

wilmwolf
They used that label up until 2016ish I think. Some bottles have a year code embossed on the bottom, but I no longer have any of the old style Elijah Craig bottles to check for you unfortunately. I know a couple of Wild Turkey gurus who can date bottles, but I don't know any Elijah Craig enthusiasts in that vein.
TheStorm
AlleyPack said:

So... I acquired a used filing cabinet awhile back,

Hand me down at an office?
AlleyPack
TheStorm said:

AlleyPack said:

No idea, but at some point I'll open it and give it a sniff/taste.
I'm worried that the cork might break apart, because the bottle was laying on its side -- so the cork had been immersed in the liquid for quite some time.
If it DOESN'T break, though -- and if everything seems kosher -- then I might just pour everything into a decanter, and/or mix it into my Infinity bottles.
TheStorm
AlleyPack said:

TheStorm said:

AlleyPack said:

No idea, but at some point I'll open it and give it a sniff/taste.
I'm worried that the cork might break apart, because the bottle was laying on its side -- so the cork had been immersed in the liquid for quite some time.
If it DOESN'T break, though -- and if everything seems kosher -- then I might just pour everything into a decanter, and/or mix it into my Infinity bottles.

I meant the filing cabinet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.