All things Bourbon

286,127 Views | 2198 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by ncsupack1
JumboPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Earlier in this thread I had posted a package I put together to donate to the Atlanta Children's Hospital Charity Ball. The winning bid was over $2,000.

JumboPack
Yesterday, the store who provided the barrel and the bourbon which I bought to donate called to offer these two gems.

It never ceases to amaze me as I get older. The more you give the more you get back!

barnburner
Nicely done and a great thing to do!
RvaWolf
Did some trading last week. Really excited for the Old Carter. Have had the MTSM before and it was delicious.
JumboPack
Has anyone tried the Jack Daniel's 10yr or 12 yr yet? I can pickup the 10 year at a local store here in Atlanta but not sure if it is worth it. Looks like it's 80% corn mash.
stuartmcarthur5
Picked up this bottle since I really wanted it
barnburner
congrats and enjoy!
TheStorm
stuartmcarthur5 said:

Picked up this bottle since I really wanted it

Ha! I bought one in Surf City 2 days ago, because I really wanted it too...

Got a Stagg down here last week, and went back the next day and got a Henry McKenna 10 BIB.

Other fairly recent local pickups includes a Baker's 7 Year... didn't really do any bourbon hunting out west, went in a grand total of 2 stores on my trip, only pickups were a Willett Pot Still Reserve, OF Statesman & OF 1870... I got to Louisville at 7PM on a Sunday night (straight through that day from Colorado Springs), and left the next morning at 4AM - so I did not get to stop at any of the distillery bottle shops, or even a store in that area.
TheStorm
Picked up a Booker's last week in Onslow County...
barnburner
Got the canes game ready to go and am pairing it with Old Ezra cask strength. A fine bourbon.
st8ofdenial
Perks for being the Mayor's son!
pluralitus
Any of my guy/gal bourbon drinkers tried the Kirkland 7 year small batch?

Gotta tell ya, went in with low expectations and I am blown away. Loving it. Unfortunately NC doesn't sell it at Costco but picked it up in SC.
wilmwolf
Are you speaking of the 7 year Tennessee bourbon or the small batch master distillers Kentucky bourbon?
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
pluralitus
7 year Tennessee Bourbon.
wilmwolf
Yes. I've had it before. Unless something has changed, it is commonly thought to be contract distilled by Dickel. If you like it, you may want to try the Dickel 8 year bourbon (not the No 8 Tennessee whiskey), which should be readily available here.
pluralitus
Thanks for the tip! I'll be on the lookout.
walstylez
Just for ****s and giggles, would anyone want to do a barrel pick of a local distillery here in NC?

Weldon Mills. https://weldonmills.com/

If I can arrange it?
Go Pack! #GTHC #HTTR Born in the 336, live in the 919
Find me on Twitter @walstylez or search "SirWallyOfRaleigh"
RvaWolf
Stopped there last football season on the way home and did a tasting. Young but generally enjoyed. Think I bought a bottle of their all Malt.
barnburner
Walked into the local store this morning and they had a Blantons Gold. 103 proof. Never had it before. Will crack it soon.
SexualChocolate
barnburner said:

Walked into the local store this morning and they had a Blantons Gold. 103 proof. Never had it before. Will crack it soon.

I have one and I think it is really good and this is coming from someone who thinks regular Blantons is meh. SFTB is my favorite Blantons but I'm a high proof kinda bourbon drinker. Enjoy and congratulations on the very rare find.
TheStorm
barnburner said:

It's supposed to be coming here also. Like each store gets one bottle maybe.
RvaWolf
Nice find!!
RvaWolf
Happy National Bourbon Day!!!
st8ofdenial
RvaWolf said:

Happy National Bourbon Day!!!

Yes! What is everyone drinking tonight?
wilmwolf
Probably have a Russell's 10
RvaWolf
Smoke wagon uncut unfiltered!
curmudgeon.zen
Rare Breed. Might have two. Long week and its only humpday. Slainte!!
Log off. Go outside.
st8ofdenial
Went Old Elk 4grain with a stogie
Radman
WT101 and Rare Breed.
barnburner
Bakers
Captain Chaos
I screwed up and had a Cask Strength Redbreast not realizing what day it was
CJwolf
I'm heading down to Carolina Beach the week of July 4th. The ABC Store there is pretty good. Does anyone know any other stores I should hit between Angier and the beach looking for Bourbon?
Thanks
wilmwolf
CJwolf said:

I'm heading down to Carolina Beach the week of July 4th. The ABC Store there is pretty good. Does anyone know any other stores I should hit between Angier and the beach looking for Bourbon?
Thanks

They are all awful and you shouldn't go to any of them. Kidding.

I've picked up things from time to time in Warsaw. Wallace hasn't been as kind to me since they moved to the new fancy store, but it's easier to get to from 40. In New Hanover county, the Porters Neck store and Wrightsville beach store tend to get better stuff than the others, but they've tried to even it out more of late. There are a couple of county barrel picks out right now, Angels envy and Old Soul if there are any left. Getting to be the time of year that the tourists (like you, lol) pick the stores clean, I have better luck in the fall.
CJwolf
Thanks ww80. I'll try those mentioned and see what I can come away with.
PoleD
Just got back from a trip to Greece. Walked into a store that sold liquor. I only had a carry on so couldn't bring anything back with me. Here's what they had:

Pappy van Winkle 10 yr - 1700 euros
Blanton's original - 130
Blanton's special reserve - didn't see a tag
Blanton's straight from the barrel - 350
Blanton's gold - 200
Blanton's single barrel Japan- 500

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.