All things Bourbon

283,938 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
curmudgeon.zen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mormad said:

curmudgeon.zen said:

Maaaannn, all you cats with easy access to ECBP are making me really jealous. NEVER seen it here, only a big hole on the shelf where it's supposed to be. Grrrrrr....

Tried the Kentucky Spirit as well...liked it ok, but not as much as Rare Breed. Looking forward to delving into the Russel's Reserve offerings soon...

Having my first taste of Four Roses Small Batch Select at the moment...little more bite than I was expecting...not bad.

Slainte!

Been wanting to pick up some rare breed, thanks for the info
If you like the barrel proof stuff, it's tough to beat Rare Breed for the price.

Since I posted last, I've revisited the Kentucky Spirit on a couple of occasions, and have enjoyed it more each time. It really is a solid pour.

On the menu tonight...Old Forester 1920.

Cheers!
Log off. Go outside.
kbdavis33
I'd like to see everyone's top 3 bourbons to drink neat or with an ice block.

For me it's

1) Blanton's
2) Eagle Rare
3) Bulleit

Open to trying a new bottle or two. Just ran out
wilmwolf
If I sat down and tasted all this stuff again it might come out differently, but off the top of my head-

Top three I've had:

- Pappy 15 from 2015
- Dusty late 80s Wild Turkey 12
- Elijah Craig 18 from 2017

If I go with things I currently own:

-Wild Turkey Masters Keep Decades
-Elijah Craig 18
-Weller 12

And if I had to pick three that I knew for certain I could walk in and buy today:

- Wild Turkey 101
- Eagle Rare
- Knob Creek 12

And honorable mention:

- The first bottle of Blanton's I ever bought in 2005 that opened the door to premium bourbon for me and showed me there was more to bourbon than Beam white label.

Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Mormad
kbdavis33 said:

I'd like to see everyone's top 3 bourbons to drink neat or with an ice block.

For me it's

1) Blanton's
2) Eagle Rare
3) Bulleit

Open to trying a new bottle or two. Just ran out

I assume this will change daily, especially when I get some wellers blue label, but for me now:

1. Buffalo Trace
2. Eagle rare
3. Four roses small batch

Tomorrow it will be: Col EH Taylor, Woodford reserve double oaked, and blade and bow
Mormad
Let me know what you think of the old Forrester. I didn't really like it though I thought I'd love it when I bought it. Need to hit it again and give it a chance
kbdavis33
Haven't had Weller and can't recall Buffalo Trace although heard it a lot
Mormad
kbdavis33 said:

Haven't had Weller and can't recall Buffalo Trace although heard it a lot

It's so cliche to say I love Buffalo Trace, but I think it's smooth and caramel nature sit well with me. Which is weird because I love the bite of the ryes too. I won't mix my Trace I like it so much, but I'll say the same for eagle rare, Angel's envy, and WR double oaked. So far the only bourbon I've bought more than one bottle is Buffalo Trace, WR double oaked, and four roses single barrel.

Pappy's 15 is the best I've had, but I don't own it. I hear the wellers blue label is the closest you'll find to pappy's, so now I'm on the hunt but I'll never find it around here.
WolfpackCPA
I have been checking out stores pretty regularly in NC and after living in VA, something is severely wrong with the allocation here.

That being said I was able to pick up a Masters Keep a month ago. Apparently Idaho is a gold mine for bourbon but that flight is going to cost you.
wilmwolf
WolfpackCPA said:

I have been checking out stores pretty regularly in NC and after living in VA, something is severely wrong with the allocation here.

That being said I was able to pick up a Masters Keep a month ago. Apparently Idaho is a gold mine for bourbon but that flight is going to cost you.

I lack the energy today to take the time and lay out everything wrong with our system, but I can detail everything that's wrong with it, how it's abused, and who is abusing it (though I probably won't name actual names on a public forum). Maybe sometime in the future I will take the time to post it.
Civilized
wilmwolf80 said:

WolfpackCPA said:

I lack the energy today to take the time and lay out everything wrong with our system, but I can detail everything that's wrong with it, how it's abused, and who is abusing it (though I probably won't name actual names on a public forum). Maybe sometime in the future I will take the time to post it.

Give us a couple-day heads up it's coming, let us all get a bourbon in our hands, and drop that knowledge at like 8:30 PM on a Friday night and let us gorge on it all weekend.

Like a Facts/Opinions/Rumors, Bourbon style!

I'd pay good money for that.
wilmwolf
Having some Russell's Reserve private barrel pick tonight. This one is a little hot for my tastes, but after the ice cube melts a bit, it's very good turkey.
Mormad
Bout time for an old fashioned
Bell Tower Grey
Been hearing some rumblings lately about George Dickel BIB, so I found a couple of bottles at the Raleigh Road store in Wilson today. One for me, one for my brother, whose birthday is today. It's 12 years old. Has gotten pretty good reviews for a Dickel whisky. Didn't open it yet, may try it tomorrow.

Not a bad price at $38 per bottle. If I like it, I'll go back next week and pick up a couple more since I can't get it locally.

If any of you have had it, what are your thoughts about it ?
wilmwolf
I like it. Dickel can be fairly polarizing in the bourbon world. I'm a big fan of the profile, so I like it. They are currently one of the biggest suppliers for new startup bourbon companies, so basically anything out there labeled Tennessee bourbon comes from their stock. The BIB is a great value, and while it isn't my favorite old Dickel, which goes to some private barrel picks, it's very good. If you're open to a slightly more corn forward profile, you will like it.
Mormad

Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

I like it. Dickel can be fairly polarizing in the bourbon world. I'm a big fan of the profile, so I like it. They are currently one of the biggest suppliers for new startup bourbon companies, so basically anything out there labeled Tennessee bourbon comes from their stock. The BIB is a great value, and while it isn't my favorite old Dickel, which goes to some private barrel picks, it's very good. If you're open to a slightly more corn forward profile, you will like it.
I don't mind a corn profile. My former father-in-law and his fellow musicians in back of the old shoe shop in Bassett, VA used to drink Mellow Corn straight with a small Dixie cup of chaser. First time I'd ever had MC was there. Only time I ever had it actually. It was an acquired taste, but would put you on your ass quickly if you weren't careful.

Thanks for the info on the GDBIB. Will open that later today.
barnburner
I'm out in Colorado. Walk into small town liquor store. They have Wellers 12 year and Blantons right beside it your choice, $199.95
People have lost it.
AlleyPack
Okay, I'm looking for opinions on mixers.

Basically (thanks to Covid), everything left in my cabinet is -- quite simply -- "too good" to mix with a Coke or Pepsi.

(Sorry, but I'm not going to pour Blantons, Col. EH Taylor, Basil Hayden, or Willet Pot into a Coke.)

So what are some of your go-to bourbons that you usa strictly for mixing?
And I definitely do NOT want the lowest of low-end stuff. I still want to avoid the rot-gut stuff... so quality still applies.

Thanks
NatePait94
Larceny is a good $30 mixer
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
wilmwolf
For me personally, if I'm mixing a bourbon, it needs to be something that I would drink straight as well. With that caveat, there's a lot of low shelf stuff that is both good enough to drink straight and to mix. I like all of these, and most are sub $20:

- Wild Turkey 101(normally above 20, but goes on sale sometimes, or can drop down to the lower proof version)
- Very Old Barton
- Evan Williams BIB (white label)
- Old Grandad BIB
- Ancient Age or AAA
- Virgin 101 (only available in NC, if you can find the old age stated 7 year bottle, which is still on some shelves)
- Rebel yell 100
- Old Forrester 100
- Early Times BIB (it's more than 20, but it's also 1L bottle)

A common theme there is most of those are either bottled in Bond, or of similar specs, IE 100 proof and at least four years old. IMO that's a good starting point for drinkable bourbon that has enough proof to hold up in a mixed drink.
READ
Very Old Barton and JTS Brown are some of my go to M-Th bourbons. I get all uptown with my selections on the weekends
READ
Btw wilmwolf, I respect your posts and your knowledge of bourbon.
wilmwolf
Thanks! I appreciate it!
WolfpackCPA
Drinking Basil Hayden Caribbean Reserve Rye - I am not going to say I love it but I think it is really cool because it is a completely different tasting bourbon.

I am big fan of trying things that push the envelope and trying to see what all is out there. As to be expected the rum has it slightly on the sweeter side.
brickturner
Picked up 1792 BIB and ECBP B520 today.
wilmwolf
Nice. I've found the "B" releases of the ECBP to generally be my favorite. Something about the time of year those barrels are put down results in a slightly lower barrel proof typically, or at least it has for the last few years.
Mormad
Got some pogue from my boy, G Money. It's niiiice
WolfpackCPA
Happened to be in SC last week and came across a B series ECBP. Just curious, people's thoughts on hunting bourbon in SC?
wilmwolf
SC has been my go to for things like Buffalo Trace and Blanton's for years. In the last several years, it seems as though others have started doing the same, or the allocation has hit them like us, and some things are scarce there now that didn't use to be. Some of the best hunting I've done has been out of state, SC and Tennessee in particular.
Bell Tower Grey
Mrs. and I are strongly considering a day trip on Saturday to Springfield Distillery in Halifax, VA. A friend of hers told her about it. I've looked at their website. https://springfielddistillery.com/about/

This looks interesting:
Springfield 1842 Aged Whiskey starts out with 60% corn, 20% barley, and 20% wheat at 100 proof. All local Virginia ingredients. Then we age it in a port barrel from a local winery to create our smooth unique bourbon style finish.

As does a couple more offerings.
waynecountywolf
Covington (Sweet 'Tater) Vodka is made in Snow Hill,NC. Vodka is pretty smooth.
They are also now producing bourbon (aging as I type and should be about ready).
I will have to check up on the bourbon.
Bell Tower Grey
waynecountywolf said:

Covington (Sweet 'Tater) Vodka is made in Snow Hill,NC. Vodka is pretty smooth.
They are also now producing bourbon (aging as I type and should be about ready).
I will have to check up on the bourbon.
I've tried that on three different occasions, and still find myself trying to like it. Not sure what it is that I don't care for, but Lord knows, I've tried. Please let us know about the bourbon.
wilmwolf
Haven't done much bourbon hunting of late. I did pick up some Old Tub and some Rare Breed Rye, which are both recently released, but haven't opened either yet. I've said it in this thread before, but I really have too much whiskey (this is when someone chimes in offering to take it off my hands) and it's hard to get to the new acquisitions sometimes since I drink so rarely these days. I have quite a few bottles that I want to try that I just haven't gotten to. We are getting into the time of year when lots of stuff starts coming out, so maybe I'll get the energy to get back on the hunt again
Bell Tower Grey
My inner Johnston County raised its' redneck head today. I picked up two quarts of lineage moonshine from the family of someone whose granddad and my granddad made whisky together on occasion. I'd heard that some of them were producing occasionally, so while I was in the area, I made a call and got an invite to stop by. I'll just say that the visit was worth my time. As good a batch of shine as I've had in years.
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

My inner Johnston County raised its' redneck head today. I picked up two quarts of lineage moonshine from the family of someone whose granddad and my granddad made whisky together on occasion. I'd heard that some of them were producing occasionally, so while I was in the area, I made a call and got an invite to stop by. I'll just say that the visit was worth my time. As good a batch of shine as I've had in years.

Flavored?

Or just straight lightning?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.