All things Bourbon

286,134 Views | 2198 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by ncsupack1
SexualChocolate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheStorm said:

wilmwolf80 said:

The Hooten Young is a two grain American whiskey that is mostly corn. Would be bourbon, but they use used barrels for the aging. Consensus on the interweb is that it's sourced from MGP. I've seen it on the shelf, but never had it. I wonder how it compares to Mellow Corn, which is the only other aged corn whiskey that I know of.
I opened this last night and it was fairly underwhelming...

Hate it but try it in a cocktail to see if it makes a better mixer.
WolfpackCPA
Wilmington ABC sent an email out at 12:45 with some very rare bottles.

Blade and bow 22 year (3)
GTS
Weller - Single Barrel
WLW
Old Fitz - 19
Parkers Heritage

This was the market street location and funny somehow they were all spoken for at 12:52. I find it hard to believe that 8 people just happened to be checking emails and were able to drive/get inside within 7 minutes.

I am getting to the point where I wish everything went into a lottery and let everybody have a fair chance.
wilmwolf
WolfpackCPA said:

Wilmington ABC sent an email out at 12:45 with some very rare bottles.

Blade and bow 22 year (3)
GTS
Weller - Single Barrel
WLW
Old Fitz - 19
Parkers Heritage

This was the market street location and funny somehow they were all spoken for at 12:52. I find it hard to believe that 8 people just happened to be checking emails and were able to drive/get inside within 7 minutes.

I am getting to the point where I wish everything went into a lottery and let everybody have a fair chance.

We are well beyond time for a lottery, and their refusal to do so speaks to how shady it all is. Their idea of making things more fair is to send an email to five thousand people telling them there will be three bottles of Blanton's at the store. I'm not standing in line in the wee hours of the morning to fight over a handful of bottles. I could name names as to who the people are that get the special calls before anyone in the general public ever gets any kind of notice, but it wouldn't do any good. Unfortunately, without some sort of legal challenge, I doubt anything changes.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
barnburner
Wake county said there were over 1700 people in the lottery as of today and it will be open until Jan 3. That said it was an impressive list of bottles that would be available. 4-5 Pappys, 4-5 Wellers, HH Heritage, E.H. Taylor single barrels, Old Fitz BIB 17 year.. and some Blood Oath 7 and 8... never heard of that one. Maybe I'll get lucky!
SexualChocolate
barnburner said:

Wake county said there were over 1700 people in the lottery as of today and it will be open until Jan 3. That said it was an impressive list of bottles that would be available. 4-5 Pappys, 4-5 Wellers, HH Heritage, E.H. Taylor single barrels, Old Fitz BIB 17 year.. and some Blood Oath 7 and 8... never heard of that one. Maybe I'll get lucky!

I want to say there over 10k entries last year.
barnburner
sorry... typo - 7100
wolfpackfan04
Got a bottle of Baker's Single Barrel today. I'm slowly starting to build my collection.
Sierrawolf
Was gifted a bottle of Horse Soldier Barrel Strength for Christmas. Anyone know anything about it? Looks like it retails for 90-95.
SexualChocolate
This is a good week for bourbon hunting. Stop by your stores because most are putting out some good stuff for the holidays!
PoleD
Picked these up today on a work trip to Bloomington, IN.
JumboPack
PoleD said:

Nice find. All three really good bourbons.
vanuel
PoleD said:

Solid. That Willett Rye is always a take given that you can't get it here in NC.
wilmwolf
Make sure to give us your thoughts on the willett rye. Opinions on it are all over the place, and it's definitely not like any other rye that I can think of.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
vanuel
wilmwolf80 said:

" it was almost indistinguishable from the stuff that they are bottling now"

Unfortunately, you can say that for a lot of bourbon these days, particularly on the premium side of things. Programs that used to be about selecting only the best of the best barrels have had to widen their scope to meet demand. You would be hard pressed many times to pick between Ancient Age and a current Blanton's offering in a blind test. It is the unfortunate byproduct of the popularity of bourbon. Not to say there aren't still exceptional bourbons being made, they just seem to be fewer and far between. I find myself sticking with more tried and true middle shelf offerings these days rather than risking buying another $100+ bottle that I'll probably regret. I bought less bourbon this year than I have since I got into this stuff twenty years ago.
The pressure on stocks has hurt quality in some cases, IMO. I think some of the whiskey is being rushed out of the rick house. There are so many store picks now that a lot of them are just ok. The number of new distilleries chews up a lot of barrels and the blending or finishing to create a product to call their own can be dubious. Plus the price point has to be higher in order for them to grow. It's hard to plunk down 70-100 bucks on a bottle you know literally nothing about. Prices are climbing on all of my favorites too. Bookers, ECBP, Masters Keep is around 225.00 now. I used to try to get at least one of each batch of Bookers and ECBP but I quit this year. Buying a lot less and being a lot pickier about it. Also don't have the desire to stand in line all day and drive all over the place for bottles that were on the shelf a few years ago. The Special Release stuff is becoming a gimmick. FOMO pricing. That said, pretty happy with what I got this year. A dozen or so unique bottles that are really good.
SexualChocolate
Went to Hoppy Endings last night after going to my friends soft opening at Edit Brewing. Had a few of their picks. Old scout selections. Very good. Damien has the best bourbon bar in NC. A little pricey but it was the holidays.
SexualChocolate
wilmwolf80 said:

Make sure to give us your thoughts on the willett rye. Opinions on it are all over the place, and it's definitely not like any other rye that I can think of.

I love that Rye. Everytime I see it out of state, I buy it. Great mixer for Old Fashion's and neat.
curmudgeon.zen
Received a bottle of Woodford Rye for Christmas. Interested to hear if anyone has tried it. Opinions/thoughts/prayers??
Log off. Go outside.
barnburner
SexualChocolate said:

soft opening at Edit Brewing.
How was it? Are they brewing and also a tap room? Do they sell bottles also? Do they specialize in any types of beers? Enquiring minds need to know...
vanuel
Not usually a big Woodford guy, but I was fortunate enough to get the Woodford Batch Proof 118.4 a while back and finally got around to opening it. The nose is fantastic. Very fragrant with fruit and vanilla. Palate is a huge cherry bomb. Just a luscious, delicious pour. Really nice whiskey. Pricey at 130 dollars but very tasty.
smitt86
barnburner said:

SexualChocolate said:

How was it? Are they brewing and also a tap room? Do they sell bottles also? Do they specialize in any types of beers? Enquiring minds need to know...

Been following them on IG waiting to see when they opened, and so far they have none of their own beers on tap. Planning on checking them out once they have some of their own beer.

Sneaky Penguin and Altered State have done a good job releasing a variety of new beers regularly since they opened, hoping Edit can manage that. Contrarily, Ancillary Fermentation was open for a month or so before they managed to get a 2nd beer on draft and when Norse opened they struggled for the first month or two to release any beer or keep any of their stuff on draft.
SexualChocolate
barnburner said:

SexualChocolate said:

They will start rolling out their beers starting in January. They will be brewing almost every day after the holidays. Got a tour and it's a lot bigger than Sneaky Penguin and Altered State. They have 20 taps set up. They had a Popcorn Cream Ale as their first beer and a Dark Lager brewing. He said that they are going to have a variety of styles for everyone and not really specialize. The head Brewer is from R&D but also brewed at Great Divide and I think Left Hand. They are just starting so there is a few things he needs to add such as TV's but by Spring, they should be running at full steam. Here is a good article about them.

https://raleighmag.com/2022/11/edit-beer-co/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR2E_pRxk2FdYXsEgDPy4jbrla6VOsT8TKiPPK0H1MpUxp_rR2ELfkCa31M

PoleD
Thought I'd throw this out. If you want anything shown in the pictures I'd be willing to pick it for you and.have back in NC after Dec 31.
PoleD

PoleD

vanuel
PoleD said:

My personal opinion: Don't get suckered on the Kentucky Owl Rye at 299.00. That brand has been sold to Stoli and their last few releases have been expensive and underwhelming. NCABC has been try to get rid of the rest of the Confiscated batch for two years running. I have it. It's not worth the 120.00 that they are charging. Rip off.

The George Dickel Leupold Brothers Rye collaboration is highly thought of by some people. Stephanie Moreno at Distiller really liked it and I usually like her favorites. I will take a Willett pot still and a George Dickel rye if you are willing to pick it for me. I can meet up wherever you want.

JumboPack
Went out looking for hard to find bourbon at reasonable prices around Atlanta and had little success. I did find another bottle of Old Forester single barrel ( 130 proof) and a bottle of EH Taylor barrel proof at 129 proof for decent prices. However, I came across a store with pappy and some of the Buffalo Trace Antique collection on the shelves. Prices way to steep for me to pay for bourbon but interesting to see these on the shelf.
JumboPack
My palate has trended towards the higher proof bourbon as I've gotten older. Here are the two bottles I did pick up.
DJncsu13
JumboPack said:

My palate has trended towards the higher proof bourbon as I've gotten older. Here are the two bottles I did pick up.

Solid pick up! I might've missed it, but where'd you find these? I'd love to get my hands on either or both!
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
JumboPack
Picked both up around Atlanta. The single barrel old forester is from the Toco Giant Package store in North Druid Hills, Atlanta.

Are you in the Atlanta area?
DJncsu13
JumboPack said:

Picked both up around Atlanta. The single barrel old forester is from the Toco Giant Package store in North Druid Hills, Atlanta.

Are you in the Atlanta area?

I'm not. If they have more let me know. Would love to figure out how to get them from you. Sent you a PM.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
TheStorm
JumboPack said:

Went out looking for hard to find bourbon at reasonable prices around Atlanta and had little success. I did find another bottle of Old Forester single barrel ( 130 proof) and a bottle of EH Taylor barrel proof at 129 proof for decent prices. However, I came across a store with pappy and some of the Buffalo Trace Antique collection on the shelves. Prices way to steep for me to pay for bourbon but interesting to see these on the shelf.
Yikes!?!
SexualChocolate
Wake County lottery today. 12,334 entries.
vanuel
I know that I have no shot but hope springs eternal.

My top five:

Pappy 23
William Larue Weller
Eagle Rare 17
Heaven Hill Heritage Collection
Thomas H Handy

My bottom five

Blood Oath 7
Blood Oath 8
Little Book 6
Weller Special Reserve
EC Toasted Barrel

A couple of the top five I would be open to trade for something else.
vanuel
Welp. Nothing burger on Wake lottery. Anybody hit on it?
SexualChocolate
A tradition unlike any others. I did not win.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.