All things Bourbon

283,977 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Used to be a hidden gem when it was about $29 bucks. Few years back it won some award and then it got scarce, and then it got more expensive. Since it's a single barrel it can vary, but these days any ten year old Kentucky bourbon you can find should probably be bought. I typically keep one on hand. In some parts of the state it's hard to come by.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

Used to be a hidden gem when it was about $29 bucks. Few years back it won some award and then it got scarce, and then it got more expensive. Since it's a single barrel it can vary, but these days any ten year old Kentucky bourbon you can find should probably be bought. I typically keep one on hand. In some parts of the state it's hard to come by.
He got it when they went on the bourbon trail last summer. Says whatever his choice is will require a 4 or 5 day weekend to secure his choice, and he'd appreciate a partner in crime to make that happen.

I told him "we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses"

His response was priceless..."dad, hit it....you da man!"

Looks like I'll have a KY trip upcoming soon.
wilmwolf
Kentucky is always fun.
barnburner
wilmwolf80 said:

Having some Elijah Craig barrel proof tonight. Not one I go for often, but sometimes you just need a little more.
Had the same last night... My bottle is almost done and will have to hunt for one around here.
Steve Videtich
Was given this bottle from Butte, Montana last night. Wow, what a really smooth drink it was. Very dangerous it was so smooth. Ever seen or heard of this one Wilm?
wilmwolf
Nope, never heard of it. Looks like from what I can find it's a rye heavy mash bill that's very briefly stored in an oak barrel, which I'm guessing isn't charred since there's no color on the whiskey. Basically a low ABV moonshine. Can't imagine there's much whiskey being made in Montana, so that's pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing!
DJncsu13
Had a glass of Midwinter Night's Dram last night at a restaurant in Raleigh. One of the best I've had.
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack"
Follow me on twitter: @d_johnson13/@PackUniforms
AlleyPack
I had a random thought/question the other day.

I got to thinking about how, several years ago, my local store used to always have Eagle Rare in stock. I could go in and grab a bottle at any time, no problem.

Now, of course, it's allocated and hard to find in N.C.

So my question -- is there any way to foresee or speculate what currently-widely-available bottles might one day become allocated and scarce, like has happened to ER?
wilmwolf
AlleyPack said:

I got to thinking about how, several years ago, my local store used to always have Eagle Rare in stock. I could go in and grab a bottle at any time, no problem.

So my question -- is there any way to foresee or speculate what currently-widely-available bottles might one day become allocated and scarce, like has happened to ER?
Maybe. Anything associated with Buffalo Trace is going to be scarce, despite the fact that they are making more of it than ever before. Pretty much anything that wins an award or that gets talked about by certain people like Fred Minnick sees a bump in sales. Any Kentucky made bourbon with any kind of good age on it is a candidate to go scarce, but I think at this point most of those things have seen a bump at some point in time. McKenna 10 used to be an unknown, it won an award, disappeared, and came back $20 higher and allocated. Wild Turkey stuff used to fly under the radar, but not anymore. Something like Evan Williams Single Barrel is probably one of the last things from the big makers that hasn't seen some hype yet. The truth is, most scarcity in the bourbon world is either the result of purposefully limited production (Pappy, etc), or by people hoarding things. There's no reason that Buffalo Trace should be hard to find, they make a **** ton of it, yet there are people standing in line to buy it, and bunkering it like it's going to disappear.
Steve Videtich
wilmwolf80 said:

AlleyPack said:

Maybe. Anything associated with Buffalo Trace is going to be scarce, despite the fact that they are making more of it than ever before. Pretty much anything that wins an award or that gets talked about by certain people like Fred Minnick sees a bump in sales. Any Kentucky made bourbon with any kind of good age on it is a candidate to go scarce, but I think at this point most of those things have seen a bump at some point in time. McKenna 10 used to be an unknown, it won an award, disappeared, and came back $20 higher and allocated. Wild Turkey stuff used to fly under the radar, but not anymore. Something like Evan Williams Single Barrel is probably one of the last things from the big makers that hasn't seen some hype yet. The truth is, most scarcity in the bourbon world is either the result of purposefully limited production (Pappy, etc), or by people hoarding things. There's no reason that Buffalo Trace should be hard to find, they make a **** ton of it, yet there are people standing in line to buy it, and bunkering it like it's going to disappear.

Wish I could ship alcohol. We have an abundance of Buffalo Trace on the shelves!
wilmwolf
Yup. That's the other thing with scarcity, is you have so many regional markets with bourbon. Different regions, states,etc get stuff based sometimes on historical sales numbers and things like that that nobody really understands. That's one reason why people hoard stuff and why the secondary market exists.
TheStorm
My wife brought me back a Stillhouse Limited Edition (Daytona 500) Black Bourbon 750ml this afternoon... it's in a can exactly like you would buy paint thinner in at Lowe's, same lid and everything.

Only 80 Proof though and the descriptor says "Blended Bourbon Whiskey Mellowed in Coffee Beans".

I asked her what it was for, and she said that I could either drink it or keep it as a collector's item... I'm leaning towards just drinking it.

Anybody know anything about it?
st8ofdenial
I haven't had Stillhouse yet, but it has been mentioned on several bourbon bucket list.
wilmwolf
TheStorm said:

My wife brought me back a Stillhouse Limited Edition (Daytona 500) Black Bourbon 750ml this afternoon... it's in a can exactly like you would buy paint thinner in at Lowe's, same lid and everything.

Only 80 Proof though and the descriptor says "Blended Bourbon Whiskey Mellowed in Coffee Beans".

I asked her what it was for, and she said that I could either drink it or keep it as a collector's item... I'm leaning towards just drinking it.

I've seen one of their varieties get an ok review, but I can't bring myself to buy bourbon in a can. I would guess at that low of a proof, it will be inoffensive, though I'm not sure about the coffee beans.
PackFansXL
I've had Stillhouse. I thought the can was kind of cool just because it is so different. I enjoyed my can and moved on to another variety. I wouldn't mind another can of this very dark bourbon.
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Videtich said:

wilmwolf80 said:

AlleyPack said:

Wish I could ship alcohol. We have an abundance of Buffalo Trace on the shelves!
Ship? Load up your truck and make an eastern US run - just let us know where to meet you to pick up our order. Become a modern day Percy Flowers' runner.
WolfpackCPA
I think some of the Russell products are really good and typically on the shelf. Michters is also another one of my favorites.

He let me try Michters toasted rye and I brought 1792 12 year. Always fun trying new bottles you haven't had before.
TheStorm
PackFansXL said:

I've had Stillhouse. I thought the can was kind of cool just because it is so different. I enjoyed my can and moved on to another variety. I wouldn't mind another can of this very dark bourbon.
OK, It sounds like it just needs to be drank then... at only 80 proof, 750ml should be about right to get me through the race Sunday afternoon
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

TheStorm said:

I've seen one of their varieties get an ok review, but I can't bring myself to buy bourbon in a can. I would guess at that low of a proof, it will be inoffensive, though I'm not sure about the coffee beans.
Well, first of all I only drank about 2/3 of the can during the race... secondly, wilmwolf80 pretty much nailed it... it wasn't "terrible", but it certainly wasn't great either... the color itself was lighter than I expected it to be (probably why it is packaged in a can instead of a bottle)... the coffee impart was very heavy, too heavy overall in my opinion even.

Going to finish it off starting at 5:30 watching the reair of "Lincoln" Episode 1 on History Channel that I forgot to watch last night.
mdreid
WolfpackCPA said:

He let me try Michters toasted rye and I brought 1792 12 year. Always fun trying new bottles you haven't had before.
got lucky today and my Local ABC had a Michters Small Batch, looking forward to trying it as ive heard great things, they had one bottle of their rye left and i kind of regret not picking it up but i just dont drink rye that much, picked up a bottle of Penelope that looked interesting instead.

Going to the Liqour store on delivery day and pay day is not a good combo lol
wilmwolf
So last week I went to a few stores for the first time in a while. It was on a day that is normally delivery day, but they were all pretty sparse. Neither store I was in had any 1/5 sized bottles of any Wild Turkey products, which was a shame because I went to grab a new bottle of Kentucky Spirit and some 101. I had heard that they were hit by the bottle supply shortage, so I guess that's the culprit, but it was kinda unsettling to not see any 101 on the shelves since it's a staple on my bar.
SexualChocolate
101 is easy to find in the Raleigh area and KY Spirit is hit or miss. Woodford Double Oak has been getting more difficult to find lately here as well.
barnburner
Knob Creek single barrel is getting scarce as well. Turrible
mdreid
tons of 101 in the Burlington area today, granted it is also delivery day

picked up a bottle of each the regular 101 and the Rye 101
TheStorm
mdreid said:

Are you a Burlington native by chance?
mdreid
TheStorm said:

mdreid said:

nope but i work for the City,

did grow up close by though in Brown Summit
Sierrawolf
TheStorm said:

mdreid said:

I grew up in Burlington and now live in Raleigh. Idk surprised the Gibsonville store is so popular in the bourbon community.
mdreid
Sierrawolf said:

TheStorm said:

mdreid said:

I grew up in Burlington and now live in Raleigh. Idk surprised the Gibsonville store is so popular in the bourbon community.
whoever owns that store did a whole renovation and its the nicest ABC store ive ever been in, they have specialty bourbon island and i went in there today and they have two Store barrel picks, Bulleit and Whistle Pig 10
TheStorm
mdreid said:

TheStorm said:

mdreid said:

nope but i work for the City,

did grow up close by though in Brown Summit
Man... I heard that Green's Supper Club got taken out by the by-pass... I know that it had gone downhill in more recent years, but back in the day - those oysters!
Mormad
Did a flight of Buffalo Trace, Col. EH Taylor, weller antique 107, and Weller 12 last night. So so good. Love the 107.
TheStorm
Mormad said:

Did a flight of Buffalo Trace, Col. EH Taylor, weller antique 107, and Weller 12 last night. So so good. Love the 107.
One of those is unlike the others.
WolfpackCPA
wilmwolf80 said:

So last week I went to a few stores for the first time in a while. It was on a day that is normally delivery day, but they were all pretty sparse. Neither store I was in had any 1/5 sized bottles of any Wild Turkey products, which was a shame because I went to grab a new bottle of Kentucky Spirit and some 101. I had heard that they were hit by the bottle supply shortage, so I guess that's the culprit, but it was kinda unsettling to not see any 101 on the shelves since it's a staple on my bar.

If this is in Wilmington I don't believe the stories I am being constantly told. It's odd most other stores in the state are not having these problem. They will say it's still a shipping issue and the are sending their own trucks for products. Being state run I would see these as more state wide issues and not just locally.

Also went through entire bourbon season and best allocated release we heard of was 6 bottles of blantons. It's beyond corrupt.
WolfpackCPA
Sierrawolf said:

TheStorm said:

mdreid said:

Gibsonville should be the process for all stores.
SexualChocolate
Youngsville ABC might have the best bourbon selection I've ever seen in a ABC store. Truck comes on Tuesday and they consistently get limited bottles. Walked in yesterday to 12 bottles of EC Toasted and 12 bottles of Henry McKenna 10 year. No KY Spirit though.
Daviewolf83
My son came back last weekend from his Spring Break trip to Georgia and surprised me with a bottle of Buffalo Trace. I had not been able to find it in the ABC stores near my house in Raleigh, so he was excited to find it for me in Georgia.

It is really nice to have a son who looks out for his old dad :-)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.