All things Bourbon

284,619 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had some pappy today
barnburner
A good day
wilmwolf
Cheers! Always good when pappy is being consumed and not sitting on a shelf as a prize.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
barnburner
About to taste my first Elmer T Lee. Been a good day
WolfpackCPA
Agree - Pappy is good but not worth the third party price.

I bought a bottle of Japanese whiskey - took one sip and now trying to decide how to pawn it off on a friend.
Mormad
Larceny is ok

Sipping some Jefferson reserve cab cask... It's ok.

Need to try some Angels envy
curmudgeon.zen
Been enjoying this thread for awhile now. Thanks to all who have contributed. Have always kept a half-decent bottle or two around the house, but nothing particularly special and by no means a collection. Due in no small part to the discussion here, though, I am well on my way to changing that. Discovered that our new ABC store over on the other side of town is VASTLY superior in both size and selection to the old store it replaced. First time I'd been in there...and wow...at least 5x what the shop near me has. Picked up several bottles I'd never tried before, including a Maker's Private Select. Special shout out to wilmwolf80 for starting the thread, dropping the knowledge and for the John J. Bowman recommendation. My Pops and I put a bit of a hole in that one the other night. Good times.

Tonight's pour: Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style
Log off. Go outside.
pluralitus
John J Bowman is my jam. Love it.
wilmwolf
Cheers, thanks for participating!
Captain Chaos
Has anyone had the Widow Jane 10 year? It's priced pretty high ($75) but that doesn't always make it good.
wilmwolf
Had two of them over the years, one a private barrel pick. I'm not sure where they are sourced from currently. In the past it is has been MGP, Dickel, and somewhere in Kentucky, or a blend of all three, but I'm not sure about the current run. It's been good but not overwhelming IMO. If I'm going for sourced bourbon I would lean more towards one of the Barrel bourbon releases, particularly the 10 year ones. I wouldn't buy Widow Jane over Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna BIB, or Russell's Reserve, all of which are ten year old products without any vagueness as to their origin. As always that's just my opinion.
Captain Chaos
I appreciate the feedback. Hate to drop that kind of money if there are better options.
wilmwolf
Today was national bourbon day. Hope everyone was able to enjoy a glass of there favorite.
Civilized
wilmwolf80 said:

Today was national bourbon day. Hope everyone was able to enjoy a glass of there favorite.

A day late. And it's Old GrandDad's finest.

Is that a problem?
wilmwolf
Nope. OGD is good stuff.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

Got an early Father's Day bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. Enjoyed some Sunday. And today.
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Got an early Father's Day bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. Enjoyed some Sunday. And today.

FR Small batch is delicious.

Happy Father's Day to you!
wilmwolf
That's a good one, cheers to you. I've had two friend's wives already ask me what bourbon to buy their husbands for fathers day. I don't think my friends appreciate how good I am to them
Mormad
wilmwolf80 said:

That's a good one, cheers to you. I've had two friend's wives already ask me what bourbon to buy their husbands for fathers day. I don't think my friends appreciate how good I am to them

What was your answer?

Been sipping and mixing some wild turkey single barrel. Pretty good. There are plenty of good Bourbons out there. And the hunt is such a great part of the game.
wilmwolf
Depends on their price point and tastes. Wild turkey Kentucky spirit, knob Creek 12, makers barrel select, Booker's are all things that are in stores here right now that are good gifts.
Mormad
Looks like I got some shopping to do.
curmudgeon.zen
Couple of new bottles here...Jack Daniels Single Barrel-Barrel Proof and Michter's Small Batch. My expectations going in were that I'd really like the Michter's, and that I'd be more or less indifferent to the Jack Single Barrel in much the same way I am about Jack Black. Turned out just the opposite. The Michter's, for me, was kind of dull and lifeless...not necessarily bad, but not the least bit exceptional. The Jack Barrel Proof, on the other hand, really surprised me. Hands down, the best JD product I've ever tasted, BY A MILE. Really flavorful...Unbelievably smooth for a 130-ish proofer. Recommended.
Log off. Go outside.
wilmwolf
I agree on Michters. It's a solid bourbon, but not exceptional. I think if the price point were a little lower I'd be more inclined to buy one often. Still would like to snag the Michters 10, which isn't their juice but is very well thought of. The Jack has been getting a lot of buzz lately. Won a couple of blind taste tests against George T. Stagg. I've heard there is a lot of variance in the barrels, as with any single barrel. I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet, mostly because I'm just not big into barrel proof bourbon. The strong stuff is all the rage right now, and I like the occasional Elijah Craig BP or Booker's, but generally prefer things down in the 100 proof range. I of course can add some water to the barrel proof, but knowing that is my preference, I just typically don't look at those offerings when I'm in the store. I probably will grab one of the Jacks eventually just to try, I just haven't gotten one yet.
wilmwolf
Also out there right now is Knob Creek 15. I picked up a bottle last week and it's excellent. I also like Knob Creek in general, so if you don't, you probably won't like it. It is $100, which is steep, but not really for a 15 year old bourbon these days. I have several Knob Creek private barrel picks that are 14-15 years old, and they are all really good, and cost ~$60, which is obviously a better value than the KC 15 that is out now, but not everyone has access to barrel picks, so I recommend getting the 15 if you see it. It also is a good gift, comes in a nice wooden box like their other special releases.
st8ofdenial
Just ordered a Wellers Special Reserve from the top one (overpriced, but I figured ***) and Black Maple Hill from the 2nd

https://www.bountyhunterwine.com/ - Wellers $79.99 plus shipping
https://www.acespirits.com/ - Black Maple

Black Maple arrived yesterday, Wellers will be here tomorrow.
Mormad
Barrel 89-3u from four roses warehouse 55 is friggin great lol
wilmwolf
Having Woodinville tonight. It's pretty good for a relatively young craft bourbon, and I'm a person that doesn't typically like craft bourbon. It still has some of that raw corn flavor that I associate with young whiskey, but there's promise here. Should be readily available in NC now.
barnburner
Just got an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof at Cameron Village at 4:30pm Monday.. They had 3 more bottles. They are not on the shelf yet as they have not had time to stock the store. It has been quite busy
wilmwolf
It's always weird to me how ECBP is hard to find up there. For the most part just sits on the shelf down here.
Mormad
Really enjoying the wild turkey Kentucky spirit single barrel. Put it up against the four roses single barrel that I have in the new nc state decanter my girls gave me, and I really think it's as good if not a little more pleasing
curmudgeon.zen
Maaaannn, all you cats with easy access to ECBP are making me really jealous. NEVER seen it here, only a big hole on the shelf where it's supposed to be. Grrrrrr....

Tried the Kentucky Spirit as well...liked it ok, but not as much as Rare Breed. Looking forward to delving into the Russel's Reserve offerings soon...

Having my first taste of Four Roses Small Batch Select at the moment...little more bite than I was expecting...not bad.

Slainte!
Log off. Go outside.
Mormad
Got wellers special reserve, hillrock solera aged, Elijah Craig small batch and michters us1 on the way

Enjoying some turkey Kentucky spirit in an old fashioned with filthy cherries at present
Mormad
curmudgeon.zen said:

Maaaannn, all you cats with easy access to ECBP are making me really jealous. NEVER seen it here, only a big hole on the shelf where it's supposed to be. Grrrrrr....

Tried the Kentucky Spirit as well...liked it ok, but not as much as Rare Breed. Looking forward to delving into the Russel's Reserve offerings soon...

Having my first taste of Four Roses Small Batch Select at the moment...little more bite than I was expecting...not bad.

Slainte!

Been wanting to pick up some rare breed, thanks for the info
Mormad
I swear half the fun is in the hunt and sharing with friends
wilmwolf
To me sharing is the best part. I used to like the hunt, but years of it has worn me down, due in no small part the corruption and cronyism of our ABC system, but I digress. With not being able to see my friends for most of the year, I finally just had to make up some sample bottles and send to my guys. I love sharing and discussing bourbon almost as much as I like to drink it.

As to the Wild Turkey, I tend to like the Kentucky Spirit better than Rare Breed personally, but that mostly comes down to proof I think. That 101 is a really good range for proof for my tastes. There's a lot of variance to both, and I've had some duds of each. I've also had a private pick of KS that rivaled the best bourbon I've ever had. The good thing about both is that they're always on the shelf.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.