All things Bourbon

284,647 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
WolfpackCPA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Been going strong on the Rare Breed. Always enjoy a good barrel strength.
Bell Tower Grey
Eagle Rare. Pairs well with watching the holes take a woodshed ass beating so far.
Mormad
Doing some baby Saz
wilmwolf
Toasting some Blanton's to VT tonight.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
AlleyPack
wilmwolf80 said:

Wild Turkey Rate Breed tonight. I've seen some crazy things written about this one in the last year, that it beat Pappy in a blind test, yadda yadda. I really like Wild Turkey, but this is a whole different animal than pappy. I hate seeing reasonably priced, available stuff get hyped up. This and Elijah Craig are two of my favorite barrel proof bourbons, but I hope it doesn't end up scarce.

You were spot on with this post.
I stopped by my local store today just to see if they had anything interesting in stock. (stupid idea, I know, to go midday on a Saturday)

They had a single bottle of WT Rare Breed, whereas a few years ago I remember it used to be plentiful.

Oh well, I bought it.
SexualChocolate
AlleyPack said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Wild Turkey Rate Breed tonight. I've seen some crazy things written about this one in the last year, that it beat Pappy in a blind test, yadda yadda. I really like Wild Turkey, but this is a whole different animal than pappy. I hate seeing reasonably priced, available stuff get hyped up. This and Elijah Craig are two of my favorite barrel proof bourbons, but I hope it doesn't end up scarce.

You were spot on with this post.
I stopped by my local store today just to see if they had anything interesting in stock. (stupid idea, I know, to go midday on a Saturday)

They had a single bottle of WT Rare Breed, whereas a few years ago I remember it used to be plentiful.

Oh well, I bought it.

Yea I credit Wilm for getting me to try this. It's really good
WolfpackCPA
Apparently ABC opened a new store today in Greenville which had quite the haul. Pappy, BTAC, Elmer, Weller, etc.

I haven't seen anything so far this year. Hopefully it changes in these next couple of weeks.
st8ofdenial
I hear Basil Hayden Toasted is hitting NC next week
SexualChocolate
Walked into WF ABC yesterday as they were putting Blantons out. I bought one and usually save it for guests or I will end up giving it away as a thank you for something.
barnburner
Now that the temps have cooled, I am back on the bourbon train and started out with Knob Single Barrel. Ahhh
wilmwolf
Welcome back on board, I saved you a seat.
vanuel
wilmwolf80 said:

WolfpackCPA said:

That is a good list - I find the birthday bottle to be one of the most unique in the bourbon world.

I haven't heard of anybody find RR13 in NC yet. I think one guy on this board said he did however. I have been looking for it as well.
I know of someone that got a whole case in the western part of the state. I actually saw the picture where that store took delivery of a big stack of cases of it for some reason. Based on the numbers, individual stores should've only gotten a case or two each, so that's probably the reason it hasn't made its way across the state as much. I honestly haven't been out looking in months, so while I haven't found it, I haven't really looked for it either. It's frustrating to me, because two years ago, any of the Wild Turkey special releases sat on the shelf forever, but people have gotten wise to it, even though they were about the last distillery to fall victim to the bourbon hype. It was good while it lasted.
I always racked up on their stuff too. Annoying that everything is so hard to get now. I quit hunting. It's almost pointless now that the internet publishes everything in damn near real time. When Shirley quit down at Angier, it was over for me. She was a damn good manager. Very fair and didn't let the bourbon clubs run over her. She spoiled us.
SexualChocolate
vanuel said:

wilmwolf80 said:

WolfpackCPA said:

That is a good list - I find the birthday bottle to be one of the most unique in the bourbon world.

I haven't heard of anybody find RR13 in NC yet. I think one guy on this board said he did however. I have been looking for it as well.
I know of someone that got a whole case in the western part of the state. I actually saw the picture where that store took delivery of a big stack of cases of it for some reason. Based on the numbers, individual stores should've only gotten a case or two each, so that's probably the reason it hasn't made its way across the state as much. I honestly haven't been out looking in months, so while I haven't found it, I haven't really looked for it either. It's frustrating to me, because two years ago, any of the Wild Turkey special releases sat on the shelf forever, but people have gotten wise to it, even though they were about the last distillery to fall victim to the bourbon hype. It was good while it lasted.
I always racked up on their stuff too. Annoying that everything is so hard to get now. I quit hunting. It's almost pointless now that the internet publishes everything in damn near real time. When Shirley quit down at Angier, it was over for me. She was a damn good manager. Very fair and didn't let the bourbon clubs run over her. She spoiled us.

I second that about Shirley. Angier is one fine ABC store and it is because of her. I really don't hunt anymore also. Not really worth the effort and I have friends in other states that will bring stuff that we can't get in NC easily.
Radman
My local ABC store put out 4 cases of Buffalo Trace Thursday. First time I have seen it there. I got two bottles…one for me and one for my son.
barnburner
Was about to say the same thing. Only one store had it here so I got also first time I jaseen it since 2018. Thankfully $29.95.
Some stores got some Blanton and some didn't only want one for a gift.
RvaWolf
Started with Blanton'a but switching to Russell's Reserve 10 to hopefully change the MOJO for 2nd half.
st8ofdenial
Any thoughts on these two? Picked up in Myrtle Beach today
Jim Beam Single Barrel
Wolcott Bottle in Bond

wilmwolf
I'm always in favor of trying a single barrel pick. I don't typically drink much Beam, but I would still probably give it a go.

The Wolcott is one of the many house brands of total wine. Most likely distilled by Barton since they make all of the other total wine brands. If you like 1792 or Barton's other products, you'll probably like it. In total wine, pretty much every brand you've never heard of before is one of their house brands. Two Star, Chestnut Farms, Winchester, as far as I know all sourced from Barton.
wilmwolf
Having some Rebel (formerly Rebel Yell, recently changed due to the way things are these days) Distillers Collection. Pretty good wheater. I've been a fan of the Rebel 100 as a hidden gem on the bottom shelf, and this is basically single barrel of that. I've seen at least one of these picks in NC, worth the pick up IMO.
vanuel
No George T. Stagg release this year. Apparently, this batch didn't turn out well enough to meet the standards of BT.
Bell Tower Grey
vanuel said:

No George T. Stagg release this year. Apparently, this batch didn't turn out well enough to meet the standards of BT.
Wonder what they'll rebrand and release it as?
wilmwolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

vanuel said:

Wonder what they'll rebrand and release it as?

Yup. That's what I said on another board. This will end up as a special release that will sell for 3k on the secondary. They taste these barrels multiple times every year as they mature to determine which expression they will be going into, I have a very hard time believing there were all these barrels earmarked for Stagg that just ended up off profile.
wilmwolf
Had a conversation with a friend who has only been drinking bourbon for 3-4 years. He's very frustrated about his inability to find certain things he wants in NC (recent supply chain issues notwithstanding). I reminded him what I told him when he first got started, that my best advice to someone new to bourbon was don't fall in love with things you can't walk into any store and buy. There is lots of good bourbon out there, don't drive yourself crazy chasing stuff.
PackFansXL
I can't find a single bottle of Blantons in the Austin area. Buffalo Trace is usually available though.

I have bought a couple of bottles of inexpensive Evan Williams in the past, but I noticed some recent advertising on football games. I bet the bargain pricing quickly evaporates.
WolfpackCPA
Was able to get a 1792 12 year this week. Things are starting to pick up.

I have a buddy that picked up old fitzgerald, 1792 sweet wheat & 12 year. Heard of EH single barrel finding this week.

Hope yall are more successful than I have been!
st8ofdenial
Got a buddy waiting in line at the Angier Store, supposedly some allocated items are to drop
wilmwolf
Haven't really been doing any hunting, but I did get an ECBP today on the way home. With weather getting cooler I'm more inclined to have a high proof drink every now and then. I'm saving most of my money for out of state purchases though, my frustration at the NC ABC is at all time levels.
barnburner
got an old Ezra 7 year today... one of my fav high alcohol pours
WolfpackCPA
wilmwolf80 said:

Haven't really been doing any hunting, but I did get an ECBP today on the way home. With weather getting cooler I'm more inclined to have a high proof drink every now and then. I'm saving most of my money for out of state purchases though, my frustration at the NC ABC is at all time levels.
Not to mention being in the southeast part has to be the worst. I don't understand how I can go to other parts of the states and they have atleast seen some good bourbons. Around Wilmington all they say is they haven't see anything since September but the quarterly buffalo trace drop should be soon......
TheStorm
WolfpackCPA said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Not to mention being in the southeast part has to be the worst. I don't understand how I can go to other parts of the states and they have at least seen some good bourbons. Around Wilmington all they say is they haven't see anything since September but the quarterly buffalo trace drop should be soon......
They got Blanton's, Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare in every single store in the county I reside in for about an eight (8) week, every week period starting a week or two prior to a certain event. Last week, my most local store got in three (3) bottles of EH Taylor (although none of them made it past the bars / bar owners this *first* time).

Biggest issue I see right now is dishonest ABC employees at the local level. Sooner or later, someone is going to shut that **** down. And to be clear, it is the VAST exception and definitely not the norm... the one in particular that I am thinking about right now is already being watched very closely.
wilmwolf
WolfpackCPA said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Not to mention being in the southeast part has to be the worst. I don't understand how I can go to other parts of the states and they have atleast seen some good bourbons. Around Wilmington all they say is they haven't see anything since September but the quarterly buffalo trace drop should be soon......

The sad thing is it's better in Wilmington than it is in the triangle, if just by a little bit. The whole thing is a cluster ****, and that's the nicest way I can put it.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

WolfpackCPA said:

wilmwolf80 said:

The sad thing is it's better in Wilmington than it is in the triangle, if just by a little bit. The whole thing is a cluster ****, and that's the nicest way I can put it.
The state abc board is way more crooked than the ncdot, and that is saying a lot.
TheStorm
I scored a Weller Single Barrel (Yellow Label - 97 Proof) down here on the coast this week... I don't know much about this stuff, but I knew that anything Weller was pretty rare to make it to a shelf in this area. How does this particular bottle rate? Planning to open it on Thanksgiving afternoon.
WolfpackCPA
TheStorm said:

I scored a Weller Single Barrel (Yellow Label - 97 Proof) down here on the coast this week... I don't know much about this stuff, but I knew that anything Weller was pretty rare to make it to a shelf in this area. How does this particular bottle rate? Planning to open it on Thanksgiving afternoon.

Last year was the first year for the bottle. I haven't had it yet. If you found it in NC consider yourself lucky it has been elusive.
barnburner
Weller is one of the best. Never seen it on the shelf. A toast to ya brother!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.