All things Bourbon

284,380 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
RvaWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Heading to Denver and Boulder this weekend to visit my son who just moved out there. He's set up an afternoon to take me to all the "normal" liquor stores he has found now that he doesn't live in a gov't controlled ABC state. Excited to see what I can find that's not on our shelves.
barnburner
you'll find plenty just be ready to open your wallet wider
JumboPack
The E.H. Taylor Single Barrel has made its way to Atlanta the past couple of weeks and I was fortunate to pick up two bottles. I really like the small batch and it was probably not worth the extra money for the single barrel but I couldn't resist . I will try them side by side this weekend.
engineercoach
Heading up to Louisville for the game in a few weeks. Do you guys have recommendations on the best distilleries to visit? Is Buffalo Trace worth stopping by on the way in?
stuartmcarthur5
engineercoach said:

Heading up to Louisville for the game in a few weeks. Do you guys have recommendations on the best distilleries to visit? Is Buffalo Trace worth stopping by on the way in?

Peerless was my favorite and we did a 10:30 tour on Friday and got to meet the owner of the distillery Corky Taylor and got an autographed bottle of their single barrel
st8ofdenial
Buffalo Trace is worth stopping by, just go early. They are one of the few that put "special" bottles out in their gift shop. I believe the rotation is Weller Special Reserve, Eagle Rare, Blanton's and EH Taylor Small Batch, along with Buffalo Trace every day.

Also, go to Willet, since they won't sale to NC because of being a controlled state, you can't get their products here.
stuartmcarthur5
For Buffalo Trace here is a great website which has the daily pick as well the projections for the next day
https://buffalotracedaily.com/
JumboPack

Well, I know with single barrel it can be hit or miss but the bottle of EH Taylor single barrel was in my opinion much better than the small batch and I really like the small batch.
wilmwolf
Nice. I've had some amazing EHT single barrels and some that were honestly kinda bad, but as you say, that is the single barrel experience. Comparative tasting is always fun to me.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
barnburner
Started w a John J Bowman single barrel tonight. That's a good pour. On blade and now now. Little bit less sweet go pack
RvaWolf
Love the bowman single barrel. Trying the Castle and Key Wheated I picked up in Denver last weekend.
RvaWolf
Boom!!!! Go Pack!!!!
vanuel
Ah yes, the 2018. Having a pour of the 2019 tonight. It's a great evening for Wolfpack nation. We certainly deserved this one after what this team went through.
wilmwolf
Nice pours!
Bell Tower Grey
This will be a read only topic for me from now on. Due to an unexpected medical issue, my doctor has advised me to stop drinking. Over the past year and a half, I had cut down substantially on my intake anyway, but from now on it will cease.

I do look forward to keeping up with bourbon current events here, as it has been my drink of choice for many years.
JumboPack
Bell Tower Grey said:

This will be a read only topic for me from now on. Due to an unexpected medical issue, my doctor has advised me to stop drinking. Over the past year and a half, I had cut down substantially on my intake anyway, but from now on it will cease.

I do look forward to keeping up with bourbon current events here, as it has been my drink of choice for many years.
So sorry to hear that. Get well soon.
JumboPack
It is charity ball season here in Atlanta starting with the Marcus Autism event and then the Children's Hospital Ball followed by a few others. The wife and I are fortunate enough to give to these events each year and we are donating a few Buffalo Trace products and an empty barrel to the Children's Hospital event this year.

The six bottles of BT are single barrel from the empty barrel we are donating.

Bell Tower Grey
Thanks.
Bell Tower Grey
JumboPack said:

It is charity ball season here in Atlanta starting with the Marcus Autism event and then the Children's Hospital Ball followed by a few others. The wife and I are fortunate enough to give to these events each year and we are donating a few Buffalo Trace products and an empty barrel to the Children's Hospital event this year.

How nice, and very generous of you and your wife. As a grandparent of an autistic child, I fully appreciate those with an interest in furthering research and help for those with autism.
RvaWolf
Very generous and a great cause!
barnburner
I have a friend that wants to get rid of his collection... He has over 200 bottles and a lot of one off stuff no one has ever heard of.
How did you come up with the charity idea and was there discussion around liabilities to the parties? My friend is interested in something like this.
JumboPack
barnburner said:

I have a friend that wants to get rid of his collection... He has over 200 bottles and a lot of one off stuff no one has ever heard of.
How did you come up with the charity idea and was there discussion around liabilities to the parties? My friend is interested in something like this.
I donate the bottles to the silent auction part of the program. The bourbon drinkers in the crowd usually bid the bottles up when there is one or two hard to get bottles in the group like a Blanton's or EH Taylor and the charity keeps all the proceeds. At the end of the night the winning bidder takes home all the bottles unopened so no liability as no alcohol is consumed. (Well, none of the bourbon I am donating is consumed)

Find a local charity that has an annual auction and call them. Ask to get connected to the chair of the auction committee. You can offer up rare bottles for the auction to help the charity raise money.

I'm fortunate that my wife usually sits on several boards around the Atlanta metro area for charitable organizations so she organizes it all for me. I just need to procure the bourbon.
WolfpackCPA
barnburner said:

Pack of Wolves - bourbon auction?
barnburner
WolfpackCPA said:

barnburner said:

Pack of Wolves - bourbon auction?
hole fan
statefan91
JumboPack said:

That is awesome - I bought Eagle Rare from recommendations in this thread previously. Good on you for the donations!
wilmwolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

Sorry to hear that, I will be hoping for a positive resolution of your issue.
Bell Tower Grey
Thank you, friend. The doctor says it will be a while but he expects me to improve over time.
WolfpackCPA
Had a pretty funny incident happen last week.

I was popping into a store in eastern NC and a lady was talking to the cashier. She was asking only about buffalo trace, eagle rare, etc. She gave the clerk her phone number and asked to be called.

I typically will always look around before approaching anybody so I walked right by. Sitting on the shelf was four roses single barrel / barrel strength along with heaven hill bottle in bond. Historically, those are things which don't show up very often in NC.

There are many good bourbons but looking for just buffalo trace products could lead you to miss on some other great items!!
wilmwolf
WolfpackCPA said:

Had a pretty funny incident happen last week.

I was popping into a store in eastern NC and a lady was talking to the cashier. She was asking only about buffalo trace, eagle rare, etc. She gave the clerk her phone number and asked to be called.

I typically will always look around before approaching anybody so I walked right by. Sitting on the shelf was four roses single barrel / barrel strength along with heaven hill bottle in bond. Historically, those are things which don't show up very often in NC.

There are many good bourbons but looking for just buffalo trace products could lead you to miss on some other great items!!

It has to be so tiresome working in a store these days. Every single time I go in a store there's someone asking about BT, Blanton's, etc. I can't imagine having to answer that question a hundred times a day. By the same token, most of the folks that work in the stores are pretty clueless. I was in last week and there was a clerk standing at the shelves attempting to explain the differences between some of the bottles on the shelf to a customer, and I just had to chuckle to myself at how very wrong it was. I darn sure didn't interject though, I don't get paid by the ABC.
wolfpackfan04
Picked a bottle of Heaven Hill BiB and Very Old Barton today. What are everyone's thoughts on those?
st8ofdenial
Love them both
wolfpackfan04
I don't know much about either, but I was surprised at how cheap the Barton was.
WolfpackCPA
Not a big Barton fan it's okay. Bang for the bucks not bad.
Sierrawolf
I think an Elite+ Bourbon auction would be a great idea.
wilmwolf
wolfpackfan04 said:

Picked a bottle of Heaven Hill BiB and Very Old Barton today. What are everyone's thoughts on those?

HH BIB is a good bourbon. Pretty sure there was a discussion on it a page or two ago. I miss the days when it was a slightly different, and much cheaper bourbon, but it's very solid.

VOB is a good bottom shelf bourbon. It's a one note pour, and if that note is your thing it's a great daily drinker type bourbon. The Barton distillery makes 1792 and Thomas E Moore, and sources bourbon to a lot of other companies that are NDPs (non distiller producers). They make a lot of the house brands for total wine (in states outside NC) and even Costco brand bourbon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.