All things Bourbon

284,607 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wolfpackfan04 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on Booker's? I went to the store today and they had one bottle left, so I bought it.
Damn you! I wanted that bottle.....
SexualChocolate
Having a nice Smokey old fashioned with KC Rye
wilmwolf
I'm probably going to check out till the new year. Hope y'all enjoy some great bourbon with family and friends, I know I am going to.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
TheStorm
wilmwolf80 said:

If you like the Beam flavor profile, and you like high proof bourbon, then it's hard to beat. It has gone up in price and down in age sightly over the last few years, but it's still a favorite in the bourbon community. I generally keep a bottle of it around.
Speaking of "jet fuel"!?! (Re: Booker's)
vanuel
mdreid said:

vanuel said:

mdreid said:

any scotch drinkers? been wanting to pick up a bottle but dont know what to grab. 30-50 bucks is the budget
I drink some scotch, mainly single malts. They're expensive, though. The P.R. used to do some scotch specials during the week where you could try some different pours relatively cheaply, which is a good place to start. Scotch is all over the map in terms of flavor profiles so it's good not to have to plunge into a whole bottle of something and find out that you don't like it. Dewars was a blended scotch that I used to keep at home and I think that it's a good starter scotch to try.
went with the Glenfiddich 12, they had a a bunch of the 375ml bottles for 26 bucks so thats what i grabbed, thats the perfect price for experimenting plus you dont have to commit to a whole fifth, they had a Glenlivet 12 in the 375ml bottle also, ill prob try that next

That's a good idea, IMO. Flavor profiles are all over the map with scotch so it pays to go slow. If you don't already have it, I would recommend Distiller app. Their reviews and their tasting notes and graph profiles are great. You don't need the pro version. The free version has everything that you need. Having it on your phone is invaluable in the store when you are looking at something you've never seen before.
vanuel
st8ofdenial said:

Whiteville ABC had Elijah Craig toasted barrel, which I picked up, Elijah Craig Barrel proof, couple smoked wagons, buffalo trace an eagle rare.
That's a pretty nice haul these days.
wilmwolf
I have had way too much bourbon this month. As always, received a few bottles as gifts, and purchased a few nice ones (had a really good line on an Eagle Rare 17, but got screwed by an ABC employee not keeping her word, so what else is new). I hate to say it, but I've decided on having a dry January and let my body recover some from this holiday season.
ncsupack1
wilmwolf80 said:

I have had way too much bourbon this month. As always, received a few bottles as gifts, and purchased a few nice ones (had a really good line on an Eagle Rare 17, but got screwed by an ABC employee not keeping her word, so what else is new). I hate to say it, but I've decided on having a dry January and let my body recover some from this holiday season.
I'm thinking the same. The last few weeks/ years I've gone hard. Body needs some time off, and it wouldn't hurt to lose a few LBS as well. But as I type this having some Jack this afternoon, you guys are way too fancy for me...lol
WolfpackCPA
The NC ABC board is so screwed up. Went into a store and unfortunately sometimes you have to ask because they don't put everything out on the shelves.

I am standing in line and this guy pulls out from under the counter an eagle rare and a blantons. Sells it to the guy. I get to the counter and ask for a blantons. He goes sorry "we have been saving it for that guy for 2 weeks."

He said we may have something else in the back. Talks to a lady in the back and she is just shaking her head. Then magically a case of Stagg jr. comes out from the back.

So I am thankful I was able to get a bottle but why can we just put out the bottles on the shelves? Unfortunately I am not in the good ole boy network so I don't have any inside track. Probably more venting than anything else.

Wilmington is a top 10 county population but has to be dead last in bourbon availability.
Sierrawolf
WolfpackCPA said:

The NC ABC board is so screwed up. Went into a store and unfortunately sometimes you have to ask because they don't put everything out on the shelves.

I am standing in line and this guy pulls out from under the counter an eagle rare and a blantons. Sells it to the guy. I get to the counter and ask for a blantons. He goes sorry "we have been saving it for that guy for 2 weeks."

He said we may have something else in the back. Talks to a lady in the back and she is just shaking her head. Then magically a case of Stagg jr. comes out from the back.

So I am thankful I was able to get a bottle but why can we just put out the bottles on the shelves? Unfortunately I am not in the good ole boy network so I don't have any inside track. Probably more venting than anything else.

Wilmington is a top 10 county population but has to be dead last in bourbon availability.

Yeah it pretty messed up. I have given up on hunting and have things that I like that are pretty widely available. A buddy of mine is currently in TX and scooped me a 1.5 of Buffalo Trace and 1.5 of Weller SR. It's sad to get excited about finding sub $30 bourbons.
ncsupack1
Agree. It's the dumbest thing.
SexualChocolate
I'm trying a bottle of Olde Raleigh Distillery Batch 2 tonight. It is actually really tasty and glad I can support local. It is probably the best in-state whiskey I've tried so far. My friend got me another Old Raleigh that was a collaboration with a local honey producer that I'm also going to open soon. They are located in Zebulon and I've heard it's a great place to visit.
barnburner
That's cool.... how long has it been aged... just curious
wilmwolf
I've never had it, but a friend has a bottle waiting for me the next time I go up that way. Looking at their website, there isn't a bunch of specifics on the product, which is a bummer, mostly just the same fanciful language most craft distillers use. It looks like they source from multiple distilleries, but there isn't any specifics about age or mashbill. It's interesting that they use the word "blended bourbon" on the bottle, as that is typically used as a legal definition when bourbon has been blended with neutral spirits as long as the mixture is more than half bourbon. That's not always the case, Old Elk uses the word on their product that is all bourbon, but for old school bourbon drinkers, the use of blended would potentially be a red flag. I always keep my expectations of this type of product pretty low. Unless they started with a tremendous amount of money, it's likely they are sourcing fairly young bourbon for their blends, and young whiskey typically isn't my thing. However, I like that there are more and more distilleries popping up in our state, so I try to support them, and look forward to trying the bottle I have waiting for me and will report back.
JocoPack
https://instagr.am/p/CYmLzMlL-3N

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
AlleyPack
I got a "sampler" type pack for Christmas, and one that I tried this evening is Koval Single Barrel Bourbon.
I actually liked it quite a bit; reminds me a little of Willet Pot Still.

Anyone know if the Koval is sold here in N.C.?
wilmwolf
Yup. About $50 I think. Always some on the shelf at my local stores. I've never tried it personally, but I've picked up the bottle a few times and thought about it. Of course, I don't really like the Willet pot still, so that probably means I won't pick one up now, lol.
wilmwolf
Dry January is harder than I anticipated. I don't normally drink a lot, but I do enjoy a few glasses of bourbon Friday and Saturday nights, and I definitely miss the taste. Also, with cold weather around it would be a great time for some bourbon cream and coffee, but I'm committed to seeing dry January through. I will say, F'd up February is gonna be something else, lol
packwest
Picked up a bottle of 1792 Single Barrel, NC Select. Pretty pumped.
ncsupack1
Had way too much Maker's last night. Slow morning here.
barnburner
Wil....maybe you should try a damp January
AlleyPack
Random question here.

I bought a bottle of Redemption a week or so ago -- pretty good.
However, the cork is leaving some residue each time I take it out and put it back in -- flaking a bit around the edges. Almost like it's too tight of a fit for the bottle.

I'd really rather the cork residue NOT start to flake off and fall into the bourbon.
Anyone know of any options I might have?
Get a recently-empty bottle and simply transfer the bourbon?
I had a few older corks/tops lying around, but none were an exact fit for the Redemption bottle.
wilmwolf
Swap bottles or put it in a decanter. I keep a grocery bag full of old corks for that reason, it does happen sometimes.
Civilized
barnburner said:

Hahaha Slightly Moist January doesn't exactly have the same impact.

Picked up some Tincup Rye when I was up in VA over the holidays. I hadn't noticed at my usual store in Raleigh before (although in fairness I hadn't looked for it either). Like it!
wilmwolf
barnburner said:

Lol. I've decided if I get iced in down here I may have to push pause on the dry January and have some makeup days in February.
Werewolf
packwest said:

Picked up a bottle of 1792 Single Barrel, NC Select. Pretty pumped.
My #1 brand far and away!
#Devolution #Expand Your Thinking #Eye of The Storm #TheGreatAwakening
TheStorm
Civilized said:

Hahaha Slightly Moist January doesn't exactly have the same impact.
Ha! You probably better defer to walstylez on that one...
Civilized
Is there much better than sipping on brown water on a Friday night in front of the fire, watching it snow outside?

It's a short list, for sure.

Happy snowy Friday, folks!
Bell Tower Grey
Civilized said:

Is there much better than sipping on brown water on a Friday night in front of the fire, watching it snow outside?

For the heck of it, just took a drive through our neighborhood. Small flakes are falling hard. Sticking to the roads and the ground is covered (had a little left from yesterday, but not much). Not sure how long it is supposed to continue to snow here tonight, but if it keeps up like it's going now, we may possibly have 5 - 6 inches of snow by morning.

Came back in, poured a 46 for me, and a shot for my dog in a saucer, and we're hunkered down together by the fire, watching the golf channel. Mrs. BTG is asleep on the sofa... we all may stay like this all night.

Cheers, and stay safe.
packgrad
Bell Tower Grey said:

Civilized said:

For the heck of it, just took a drive through our neighborhood. Small flakes are falling hard. Sticking to the roads and the ground is covered (had a little left from yesterday, but not much). Not sure how long it is supposed to continue to snow here tonight, but if it keeps up like it's going now, we may possibly have 5 - 6 inches of snow by morning.

Came back in, poured a 46 for me, and a shot for my dog in a saucer, and we're hunkered down together by the fire, watching the golf channel. Mrs. BTG is asleep on the sofa... we all may stay like this all night.

Cheers, and stay safe.

Sitting on the porch with the fire table and a heat lamp watching the snow and OSU Iowa sipping an Old Forester. Wish I had been able to watch our dual in Reynolds instead, but this has been a hell of a dual.
Mormad
Corporate attorney for a company a have designed some spine products for owns this collection. Pretty nice i must say.

Civilized
Mormad said:

Corporate attorney for a company a have designed some spine products for owns this collection. Pretty nice i must say.

Yeah that's decent. If you're into that sort of thing. Which I guess we all are.

Does he drink any though? They're all full!
Civilized
Bell Tower Grey said:

Civilized said:

Cheers, and stay safe.

Hahaha, same result. I kept sliding down lower and lower into the couch enjoying the snow, fire, and bourbon. Next thing I knew it was 6:45 AM and my wife was making coffee. The dog abandoned me at some point and went upstairs though, he's a sucker for sleeping in bed with one of our kids.

Ended up getting three solid inches overnight that turned into much better sledding with neighborhood kids than I thought we'd have. Snow seemed really powdery first thing but it packed down great. Even pulled out the Radio Flyer for the first time in decades and it was ripping down the hill.

When you say you poured a shot for your pup, can you amplify on that a little?
Bell Tower Grey
Civilized said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Civilized said:

Cheers, and stay safe.

Hahaha, same result. I kept sliding down lower and lower into the couch enjoying the snow, fire, and bourbon. Next thing I knew it was 6:45 AM and my wife was making coffee. The dog abandoned me at some point and went upstairs though, he's a sucker for sleeping in bed with one of our kids.

Ended up getting three solid inches overnight that turned into much better sledding with neighborhood kids than I thought we'd have. Snow seemed really powdery first thing but it packed down great. Even pulled out the Radio Flyer for the first time in decades and it was ripping down the hill.

When you say you poured a shot for your pup, can you amplify on that a little?
Sure, be glad to. My boy loves bourbon. Since he arrove, I have always given him a piece of ice from my drink. One day as I was pouring a drink at the bar, some accidently spilled out onto the floor. Naturally, he was sitting there watching what was going on and before I could move to clean it up, he had sailed on it, lapping furiously. Suffice it to say, he liked it. So now, about once every 2 weeks or so I will pour a bourbon shot into a saucer, add an ice cube, then set it down for him. My wife just shakes her head and keeps on about her business. He will probably be the only dog in the area to have cirrhosis as one of the causes of his demise.
Civilized
Hahaha. Pups are so awesome. That's great. You're both lucky to have each other!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.