All things Bourbon

284,876 Views | 2197 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Oldsouljer
PackFansXL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't recall any references on this thread to the documentary called Neat: The Story of Bourbon. I watched it last night on Hulu and thoroughly enjoyed the history lesson.
wilmwolf
That's a good one. There's also an old one on youtube that details the history of Buffalo Trace that is a good watch Also Fred Minnick has a show on Amazon Prime called "Bourbon Up" which has had some cool guests.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
PackFansXL
Thanks for the link. I'll have to check that one out too.
NatePait94
wilmwolf80 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

wilmwolf80 said:

That stinks. The secrecy and cronyism is so frustrating sometimes.
The state ABC board is one of the most corrupt entities in NC politics. Always has been. Mainly because there is so much money floating around for "the right" people to get their hands on. And yes, it's frustrating.
I mean, the current head of the ABC is a convicted felon (in full disclosure, I have had business dealings with him prior to his appointment and he seemed like an OK person during those interactions), so they aren't really helping their image there.

Convicted felons are people too LOL. He may just be the right man for the job.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
wilmwolf
On a personal level, I never had any issue with him. Appointing a guy that has been convicted for embezzling money to lead an organization that is already rife with corruption just wouldn't be my first choice.
JocoPack
Any of you gents ever tried Clyde May's Bourbon? Bought a bottle this afternoon while I was getting some salted caramel Crown for the wife.
wilmwolf
Yes. It's ok. Sourced from an unknown distillery in Kentucky, my tastebuds say Heaven Hill, but I could be wrong. Also had their Alabama style whiskey, which is heavily apple flavored if you're in to that sort of thing.
JocoPack
wilmwolf80 said:

Yes. It's ok. Sourced from an unknown distillery in Kentucky, my tastebuds say Heaven Hill, but I could be wrong. Also had their Alabama style whiskey, which is heavily apple flavored if you're in to that sort of thing.
I gotcha. I'll try a pull this weekend and report back. It was a bottle that grabbed my eye that I hadn't bought before so I took the plunge.
JocoPack
Forgot to mention this but the flyer for the Joco bourbon drawing was up. Pappy 15, 12, and 10. WL Weller, Elijah Craig 18, and I think Bakers 13 was on there, among some others, like Blanton's.
WolfpackCPA
JocoPack said:

Forgot to mention this but the flyer for the Joco bourbon drawing was up. Pappy 15, 12, and 10. WL Weller, Elijah Craig 18, and I think Bakers 13 was on there, among some others, like Blanton's.

You have any detailed on when that is?
JocoPack
WolfpackCPA said:

JocoPack said:

I do but I'm not telling. Gotta keep my odds up.

Jk, it's December 14th at 10am. The flyer I saw said the store at Flowers. Joco residents only. I kind of figured it'd be in Smithfield. I'll do some digging on if there's more than one.
WolfpackCPA
JocoPack said:

WolfpackCPA said:

JocoPack said:

I do but I'm not telling. Gotta keep my odds up.

Jk, it's December 14th at 10am. The flyer I saw said the store at Flowers. Joco residents only. I kind of figured it'd be in Smithfield. I'll do some digging on if there's more than one.

Haha thanks for sharing my future father in law lives in Joco and is also an avid bourbon drinker.

We are starting to see lots of good bottles getting released michters toasted, 10 year, lots of private select, woodford reserve, and blantons. Next few weeks should be fun.
vanuel
The Wake lottery has the Sazerac 6 year listed as one of the picks at $29.95. Is this some kind of cruel joke. I like the 6 year but it isn't even highly allocated. It's sitting on the shelf half the year any other county other than ours. Next thing you know they'll put Buffalo Trace on the list.
ncsuwolfpack13
vanuel said:

The Wake lottery has the Sazerac 6 year listed as one of the picks at $29.95. Is this some kind of cruel joke. I like the 6 year but it isn't even highly allocated. It's sitting on the shelf half the year any other county other than ours. Next thing you know they'll put Buffalo Trace on the list.

It's sad that our state is like this. You can find Sazerac on the shelf of every single liquor store in a lot of states.
wilmwolf
A friend went to a raffle last year where Very Old Barton was included. That's a $12 bottle.
CMcWolfpack
Has anyone tried Uncle Nearest 1856?
walstylez
I bought one. Haven't cracked it open yet
Go Pack! #GTHC #HTTR Born in the 336, live in the 919
Find me on Twitter @walstylez or search "SirWallyOfRaleigh"
WolfpackCPA
Opened weller special reserve tonight, very good for the 21 dollar price point. Interesting start to finish.
WolfpackCPA
Got Maker's wood finishing today, stores are starting to bring out interesting bottles
Bell Tower Grey
WolfpackCPA said:

Got Maker's wood finishing today, stores are starting to bring out interesting bottles
Are you here in NC ?
WolfpackCPA
Bell Tower Grey said:

WolfpackCPA said:

Are you here in NC ?

Virginia - something is wrong with the NC system when y'all get excited for eagle rare which I can find with relative ease.
wilmwolf
Some of that is regional within the state. ER is plentiful in my area, although stores have started putting "MADE BY BUFFALO TRACE" signs underneath it to try and attract people to it I guess. It's definitely hard to come by in the Raleigh area. I've also read about people in other parts of the state not being able to find things like Elijah Craig barrel proof, which is also always available here. The system is most definitely broken though, no disagreement there.
JocoPack
Yeah eagle rare is everywhere here in JoCo
Radman
Picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare tonight. Good stuff.
wilmwolf
Time to prep the turkey, which tonight means Wild Turkey 101 old fashioneds. Happy Thanksgiving bourbon people!
Radman
Sipping WT101 now. Gobble gobble.
tau06
WT101 is good stuff, an old reliable
wilmwolf
101 is my go to guilty purchase. By that, I mean that when I'm out hunting bourbon, if I don't find anything else worth purchasing, I'll buy a pint of 101 because I hate browsing and chatting up employees without buying something. The turkey is one that's always there, and one of the few things I like that comes in pints, so it isn't a big expenditure. Then I bring home the pint and dump it in my already opened fifth, so in a way, I have a WT101 infinity bottle going also.
Radman
Eagle Rare and Wild Turkey Rare Breed tonight. Any thoughts on the next bottle for my collection!
wilmwolf
You could complete the flock with some Old Crow, Fighting Cock, and Chicken Cock. I'm guessing those last two will get censored, lol.

ETA- Nope, I was wrong!
tau06
wilmwolf80 said:

101 is my go to guilty purchase. By that, I mean that when I'm out hunting bourbon, if I don't find anything else worth purchasing, I'll buy a pint of 101 because I hate browsing and chatting up employees without buying something. The turkey is one that's always there, and one of the few things I like that comes in pints, so it isn't a big expenditure. Then I bring home the pint and dump it in my already opened fifth, so in a way, I have a WT101 infinity bottle going also.

Fraternity brother of mine drank an entire bottle one night our senior year while fishing. We all woke up in the morning to go grab a morning pick me up beer and their was a 4lb cat fish that he had zero recollection of catching after everyone else had passed out. WT101 will always have a special place in my heart lol
wilmwolf
Lol. That's pretty good.
NatePait94
Picked up a bottle of buffalo trace and Elijah Craig small batch at discount for thanksgiving. Still sipping that sweet nectar.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
JocoPack
wilmwolf80 said:

Lol. That's pretty good.
Wilm, what would be your recommendation for a good bottle to give as a gift? I'm talking something that's readily available, as I'm sitting on my BT/Blanton's reserve for now.
wilmwolf
In the readily available category I'd probably go with:
-Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. Now that they've switched from the fantail bottle I think it looks more classy. It's good juice, and priced high enough to be a solid gift.
- Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Well thought of bottle that is in the $50+ category. Being so high proof it might not suit everyone's taste, so it probably depends on who you are giving it to.
-Booker's. I don't think you can go wrong there as a gift. I mean, it's in a box already, what more do you need! Runs a little more money than the first two,, but the presentation is worth it.
- Smooth Ambler Old Scout single barrel select. These are showing up in stores now. These were really hot tickets a few years back when they were sourcing from mgp. Now they are using 13 year old Dickel sourced bourbon. Dickel isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I find these to be excellent barrels, at fairly low proof which makes them easier to drink.
- Makers Mark Cask Strength. Right around $50. Typical MM presentation, with a little cooler label IMO. the closest you can get to drinking MM from the barrel. Bonus pick for the individual county Makers Mark wood finishing series that are out in some areas. More than the cask Strength, but very good.

- if you want to spend more, most stores have a varied selection on Whistle Pig these days. The new 6 yeah is around $50, but the others reach $200+. They are good, but fall in the category of something I wouldn't buy for myself, which I think makes them a good gift.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.