All things Bourbon

284,486 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
SexualChocolate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf80 said:

Nah, white label, six year bottled in bond. The green label isn't BIB. White label was discontinued in 2018, then brought back a year or two later as the current 7 year BIB. They also took the 7 year age statement off Virgin 101 around that same time.

I still have 4-5 Virgin 7 yr age statements. Went around and bought them before they switched to non age statement. To me the 7 yr age statement is better. They are really good when they were $13-$15.
wilmwolf
TheStorm said:

WolfpackCPA said:

Thanks glad we have your bourbon knowledge to educate the rest of us!
If there was any one person that I'd ever like to go into an ABC Store and learn from, it would have to be wilmwolf80...

Ha! As long as we're spending your money!
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
wilmwolf
SexualChocolate said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Nah, white label, six year bottled in bond. The green label isn't BIB. White label was discontinued in 2018, then brought back a year or two later as the current 7 year BIB. They also took the 7 year age statement off Virgin 101 around that same time.

I still have 4-5 Virgin 7 yr age statements. Went around and bought them before they switched to non age statement. To me the 7 yr age statement is better. They are really good when they were $13-$15.

I may have stashed away a few of them myself. Sad that so many of the hidden gems have gone away recently.
TheStorm
Of course we would wilm...

And speaking of which, just opened a couple of birthday presents from the family:
1. John A.P. Conoley American Small Batch Bourbon Whiskey - 105 Proof (Bogue Sound Distillery), not rare but supposedly popular...
2. I.W. Harper Cabernet Cask Reserve - 90 Proof, supposedly doesn't come around here that often (but who knows, quoting the wife)...
SexualChocolate
TheStorm said:

Of course we would wilm...

And speaking of which, just opened a couple of birthday presents from the family:
1. John A.P. Conoley American Small Batch Bourbon Whiskey - 105 Proof (Bogue Sound Distillery), not rare but supposedly popular...
2. I.W. Harper Cabernet Cask Reserve - 90 Proof, supposedly doesn't come around here that often (but who knows, quoting the wife)...

Great choices. If you are ever down near Emerald Isle, I recommend doing the tour of Bogue Sound. I think it's $12 but it really is a great tour and facility.
AlleyPack
Wheat Penny. Was given a bottle as a gift.
Any opinions/comparisons?
Thanks
wilmwolf
All the info I've ever seen of it is that it is really young, like aged less than a year, and I think they use wood chips to try and accelerate the aging process. I've personally always passed on it for that reason, but that doesn't mean it's not good, I'm just not a fan of youthful whiskies.

ETA: I looked it up, it's not wood chips exactly, they use chunks of the barrel wood and some sort of pressurized vessel that changes the temperature of the liquid to move it into and out of the wood. There's a company in Charleston that does something similar, and there stuff is meh.

ETA2- Don't let my opinion discourage you from trying it or lessen it's significance as a gift. Free whiskey is always worth drinking.
AlleyPack
Thanks!
st8ofdenial
Buddy of mine is heading to KY next week, what should I ask him to look for?

With a collection of over 100 bottles I was thinking…
- Old Forester Single Barrel offering
- Peerless Small Batch
- Castle & Key small batch
- heaven Hill green label
- Evan Williams Single barrel (hear it's only KY now)

Any thoughts on those or any suggestions?
JumboPack
wilmwolf80 said:

It can be a bit confusing, as there is a Dickel #8, which is their Tennessee whiskey line, and a Dickel 8 year bourbon that has a black and gold label. The bourbon is the one you want to try.
I found the Dickel 8 year for $37 and the 15 year for $60. I am tempted to buy both .

If you were only buying one this weekend which would you pickup?
wilmwolf
15. It is creamy goodness. But if you aren't a fan of the normal Dickel profile, the 8 is the way to go, because it's pretty different.
TheStorm
Got a Very Old Barton the other day for $14.95
wilmwolf
No better day to have a glass of bourbon, the true American spirit. I'm going easy today with Buffalo Trace after grilling burgers for the loved ones.
Bell Tower Grey
Maker's 46, burgers on the grill and a freezer of strawberry ice cream. Happy Independence Day, y'all.
SexualChocolate
Going to sit on the beach and watch fireworks. Smash burgers and hot dogs and the wife made some pasta salad with watermelon. Going to have a pour after the fireworks. Thinking about some Makers FAE-01. Daughter is hosting 7 high school seniors, so I'm going to need it. Happy 4th!
TheStorm
My wife just randomly started buying me bottles a couple of months ago (I must finally be doing s o m e t h i n g right after 30 years, lol)... yesterday came home with an Angel's Envy and an Eagle Rare... maybe she wants me to start a collection?

And she doesn't even drink liquor.
barnburner
TheStorm said:

My wife just randomly started buying me bottles a couple of months ago (I must finally be doing s o m e t h i n g right after 30 years, lol)... yesterday came home with an Angel's Envy and an Eagle Rare... maybe she wants me to start a collection?

that's a nice pick up by her!
PackFansXL
TheStorm said:

Two good ones! ... Mr and Mrs Storm I mean.

JK, four good ones!!
wilmwolf
TheStorm said:

Maybe she's seeing the store manager. I kid, I kid! My girlfriend won't buy me anything because she's worried I'll already have it, despite my many assurances that really isn't a problem.
Civilized
Definitely not a precious variety, but got a three finger pour of Dickel #12 in the glass and I'm damn glad it's Friday.

Happy weekend fellas!
SexualChocolate
Bought a bottle of the Jack Daniels Bonded. Was not a fan. At least I can use it for a mixer.. Have a great weekend!
wilmwolf
I thought it was ok, but I've never been a huge fan of Jack Daniels, so I don't know how fans of Jack feel about it. Not something I would buy again personally.
TheStorm
SexualChocolate said:

Bought a bottle of the Jack Daniels Bonded. Was not a fan. At least I can use it for a mixer.. Have a great weekend!
That sucks. I literally just got home with a bottle of both the Bonded and the Triple Mash. Now I'm already disappointed before I even get to open them... Thanks!
SexualChocolate
TheStorm said:

SexualChocolate said:

That sucks. I literally just got home with a bottle of both the Bonded and the Triple Mash. Now I'm already disappointed before I even get to open them... Thanks!

The best thing about bourbon is something one person doesn't like might be another persons favorite.
wilmwolf
SexualChocolate said:

TheStorm said:

SexualChocolate said:

The best thing about bourbon is something one person doesn't like might be another persons favorite.

So true. There's so many brands and styles, there's something for everyone.
barnburner
Picked up a Early Times Bonded 100 proof blue cap this week. A liter was $26.95!!

Had never heard of it or seen it before until last week where I saw it on a YouTube video winning a taste off Coincidence? At least it is inexpensive!
wilmwolf
Very good taste to value ratio. Was previously produced by Old Forester, bought by Buffalo Trace s couple of years ago, but I believe what's in the bottles is still OF juice. Will definitely surprise some folks in a blind taste test. I like to keep one on hand.
st8ofdenial
Isn't Early Times a Barton 1792 product now?
wilmwolf
st8ofdenial said:

Isn't Early Times a Barton 1792 product now?

I assume so, Barton produces most of the smaller labels made by Sazerac, so it makes sense. What's on the shelf should still be the old juice, since the sale was two years ago and it's four year old bourbon, unless thet have some bottled in bond stocks they are using for it.
barnburner
wilmwolf80 said:

Very good taste to value ratio. Was previously produced by Old Forester, bought by Buffalo Trace s couple of years ago, but I believe what's in the bottles is still OF juice. Will definitely surprise some folks in a blind taste test. I like to keep one on hand.

I think the blue cap is OF and black cap will be BT
Mormad
A little darts and Elmer t Lee tonight with my buddy.
JumboPack
I saw this article on Even Williams barrel strength only being offered in Kentucky going forward. I saw the bottle at my local store in Atlanta but it was 86 proof so I passed it up for something else.

https://www.whiskyadvocate.com/evan-williams-single-barrel-is-now-kentucky-only/

"Evan Williams Single Barrel, the only vintage-dated, single-barrel whiskey from Heaven Hill, will now become a Kentucky-only label, the company has confirmed. Once current inventory sells through, this rye-recipe bourbon will be unavailable anywhere but the Bluegrass State."

Anyone drink this recently or have a view into how it is?

Thanks
wilmwolf
I like EW single barrel. By the nature of single barrels, there is variance, but I considered it to be a really good under the radar bourbon until the latest announcement.
JumboPack
Stopped by my favorite store on the way home from work today to finally pick up a bottle of the George Dickel 8 year. Grabbed a bottle of the EW Single barrel to try as well. Of course, being the sucker ( I mean bourbon enthusiast ) I am they talked me into a Baker's 7 single barrel.

Anyone try the Baker's 7? Thoughts?

wilmwolf
I'm a fan of Baker's. I like it better than Booker's or Knob Creek single barrel. I have gotten one I didn't really like, but that's the gamble with single barrel products.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.