All things Bourbon

284,575 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
TheStorm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/kentucky-bourbon-distillery-investing-400-million-expansion-adding-50-jobs?dicbo=v2-d77c96282c1a23371fb9259a88a0ea40
TheStorm
Picked up an Uncle Nearest - 1884 Small Batch Whiskey (93 Proof) earlier this past week and an Uncle Nearest - 1856 Premium Whiskey (100 Proof) yesterday.

I don't know anything about either one of them, but the store clerk said that they've never had them there before, so I figured "what the hell"...
wilmwolf
I believe what they are putting out now is their own whiskey, at least some of it. Previously it was sourced from various sources. They've won a ton of awards, but IMO that has mostly been due to their story, though they certainly aren't the first whiskey maker to do that. I haven't tried any of their things recently so I can't speak to taste.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
PoleD
Just got home from a work trip through Indiana and Ohio.

Indiana - cheap drinking. Buffalo Trace was everywhere for $29 + tax. Bought several bottles for friends and one for me. In fact there were places that had monday specials that were Buffalo Trace drinks for $3. Got a flight of EH Taylor, Buffalo Trace and Weller SR and it was $13.

Ohio - like their ABC system. Seems like the State sets the prices but the stores are individually owned. You can go online and see what each store has. Ended picking up a bottle of Weller SR for $28 and an Old Forrester Statesman for retail.
TheStorm
Which color label is the Weller SR?
wilmwolf
Green
TheStorm
OK. So that's the one that shows up around here once in a blue moon then...
hokiewolf
TheStorm said:

OK. So that's the one that shows up around here once in a blue moon then...
I've only seen it once in NC, thankfully I have a buddy that travels to NC often from Indiana and makes a run for me every now and then.
barnburner
The green label is made to compete w BT at price.
WolfpackCPA
I have never seen Weller in NC but know a guy that picked up single barrel in NC. Green label isn't close to BT, IMO.
wilmwolf
I've never seen Weller Special Reserve in NC, but it's in the database. I've purchased or seen purchased in NC Antique 107, Full Proof, 12 year, Single Barrel, and WL Weller from the BTAC. IMO Special Reserve is a good everyday wheater, provided it is purchased at MSRP. It's readily available in parts of the Midwest and Texas., and if you get an opportunity to get some on one of those places I'd be all over it. Some of the prices I've seen it online for were just stupid. It's intended to compete with other wheaters like a Larceny, not to be a luxury product.
st8ofdenial
Speaking of wheaters, I have a bottle of old elk double wheat coming tomorrow. Found it online for under 100 so I pulled the trigger. Looking forward to it.

Also just cracked open a bottle of old Forrester single barrel. Got it from an online club I'm apart off. It is fantastic. I was a little worried it would be real hot, because it's 130 proof but it's real smooth
TheStorm
WolfpackCPA said:

I have never seen Weller in NC but know a guy that picked up single barrel in NC. Green label isn't close to BT, IMO.
Last year (non-peak season, but can't remember if it was spring or fall) down here at the coast there were 3 bottles of Green and 2 bottles of Yellow (Wheated) on the shelf at my home store... the clerk alerted me to it, "we never get it and just put it out 5 minutes ago"... you could only buy one bottle, so I got the "Wheated".

If I had been following this thread better at the time, I would have figured out how to pay someone out in the parking lot to go back in and get me the SR (or 4 different people in the parking lot ).

I don't remember it costing a lot, but maybe I'm wrong...
RvaWolf
Been looking for the Double Wheat. Let us know what you think once you open it.
st8ofdenial
RvaWolf said:

Been looking for the Double Wheat. Let us know what you think once you open it.
Cracked it open last night...I loved it. Smooth, and just enough sweetness. I could try and tell you I taste the caramel, vanilla, maple syrup notes...but I'd be lying. Smooth, great aftertaste, nice product. Well worth it, to me.

I was able to find it on this website. It allows you to search the country for everything.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/
RvaWolf
Thanks for the info. You motivated me to find one online and order. Should be here in time for the weekend.
RvaWolf
Toasting the newest Pack commitment with a pour of Barrel Seagrass!
wilmwolf
How is it? I've enjoyed lots of their products over the years and have seen that one mentioned online but haven't had the pleasure of trying it.
RvaWolf
I really enjoy it. Not usually a fan of "finished" rye or bourbons, but this one is delicious. Complex with just the right amount of sweetness for my palate. High enough proof so its got a lot going on. Here in VA it $79 at the ABCs but in maryland I can usually find it for $59 so I'll pick one up at that price every time. Definitely worth exploring.
wilmwolf
Thanks for that. I've been disappointed by so many finished bourbons that I'm hesitant sometimes. So many of the wine cask finished bourbons taste too much like the wine or too much like the cask for my tastes. I'll pick one of those up the next time I see one.
PackFansXL
Currently enjoying a new bottle of Chestnut Farms while watching the Dodgers vs Mets. I was advised that this is the closest thing to a bottle of Blanton's available in Texas. I like it!
RvaWolf
Haven't had that one but heard good things.
stuartmcarthur5
I got a pretty good haul when I was Louisville a couple weekends ago
TheStorm
Nice!
wilmwolf
Nice haul. I see the restoration rye, if you or anyone reading haven't visited Castle and Key, I'd recommended it. It's great for non bourbon enthusiast spouses as well, really beautiful old place in the middle of nowhere. Their products are ok, but walking around the grounds and gardens is worth the trip.
stuartmcarthur5
It's a really cool place to go. I really like the Rye that's why I got it, but I did drop a pretty penny on the Peerless since it was a single barrel and sold out that weekend. That was also my favorite tour since we met the owner of the distillery and he signed the bottle
stuartmcarthur5
We also got lucky with the Blantons since we were on our way home and it was that or Eagle Rare. Pretty nice getting it at MSRP
PackFansXL
stuartmcarthur5 said:

We also got lucky with the Blantons since we were on our way home and it was that or Eagle Rare. Pretty nice getting it at MSRP
How much did the Blanton's cost you?
stuartmcarthur5
PackFansXL said:

stuartmcarthur5 said:

Blanton"s was $63 but per Buffalo Trace I can't get another bottle for 90 days. I'm not going to be in Louisville for at least that long. Only ones left from the distillery I didn't get was EH Taylor Small Batch, Szaerac Rye, and Eagle Rare
PackFansXL
stuartmcarthur5 said:

PackFansXL said:

stuartmcarthur5 said:

Blanton's was $63 but per Buffalo Trace I can't get another bottle for 90 days. I'm not going to be in Louisville for at least that long. Only ones left from the distillery I didn't get was EH Taylor Small Batch, Szaerac Rye, and Eagle Rare
Great price!
stuartmcarthur5
I couldn't pass it up especially since I've never seen it in NC
RvaWolf
Castle and Key is a really cool place to visit. I liked the Rye but love the bottle, very cool presentation. Great haul and you cant beat Blanton's at retail.
TheStorm
Saw the Peerless selections yesterday in one of my local stores here at the coast... pretty pricey stuff!

I picked up 100 proofs, Knob Creek 9 and Knob Creek 12... and 120 proof Knob Creek Single Barrel 9.
stuartmcarthur5
Peerless is going to be more expensive due to the process they distill their bourbon. One thing is that all of their selections are barrel proof as well the biggest difference between them and say Angels Envy or Buffalo Trace is they use a sweet mash vs a sour mash.
wilmwolf
I've had a single barrel of Peerless Rye that was amazing. Their bourbon didn't really do anything for me, and yeah it's pretty expensive for what it is. When they first came to market they were selling two year old bourbon for $100 and that was just way too much for what it was. Admittedly haven't had it in a while, so I should probably revisit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.