All things Bourbon

280,205 Views | 2173 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by RvaWolf
PackFansXL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BTG, that sounds like a fun day. Congrats to your family on the pending event!
wilmwolf
Great story, thanks for sharing. You should enjoy that Private Select bottle, very good stuff there.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

Great story, thanks for sharing. You should enjoy that Private Select bottle, very good stuff there.
The Private Select is as you stated. Very good. One small cube and I was set to go. Appreciate the gift even more now than before I tried it. I'll certainly put it on my list of Christmas gifts to give to my bourbon appreciating friends.
wilmwolf
https://www.carolinajournal.com/opinion-article/buffalo-trace-blantons-fiasco-just-one-example-of-an-80-year-old-problem/

Interesting editorial. On the one hand, the ABC system leaves a lot to be desired. Incompetence and corruption ruin most everything run in our state, so I can't argue that point. The question that needs to be asked on this particular issue is - does our state receive less allocation of these products as a control state because the distiller or distributor chooses to sell more product to privatized areas? My experience in other states leads me to believe that this is the case. If that is true, then the issue of availability is the fault of the distiller or distributor, and not the ABC. If we moved to a privatized system, you have a catch 22. On the one hand, I do believe that more of these hard to find products would be available. On the other, they would be more expensive. Also, control states such as ours fuel the secondary market. People lucky enough to find or be chosen to by rare bourbon in our state do so at retail cost. Those people are then able to turn around and sell those bottles for 10 or 20 times retail price in some cases, to multiple eager buyers. As someone that is not a fan of the secondary market, I would like to see this curtailed, and privatizing could help with that.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

https://www.carolinajournal.com/opinion-article/buffalo-trace-blantons-fiasco-just-one-example-of-an-80-year-old-problem/

Interesting editorial. On the one hand, the ABC system leaves a lot to be desired. Incompetence and corruption ruin most everything run in our state, so I can't argue that point. The question that needs to be asked on this particular issue is - does our state receive less allocation of these products as a control state because the distiller or distributor chooses to sell more product to privatized areas? My experience in other states leads me to believe that this is the case. If that is true, then the issue of availability is the fault of the distiller or distributor, and not the ABC. If we moved to a privatized system, you have a catch 22. On the one hand, I do believe that more of these hard to find products would be available. On the other, they would be more expensive. Also, control states such as ours fuel the secondary market. People lucky enough to find or be chosen to by rare bourbon in our state do so at retail cost. Those people are then able to turn around and sell those bottles for 10 or 20 times retail price in some cases, to multiple eager buyers. As someone that is not a fan of the secondary market, I would like to see this curtailed, and privatizing could help with that.

I've been a fan of privatizing for a long time. Not sure we'll ever see it in my lifetime, though. Those guys on the abc board know the power they have and certainly enjoy the money and perks they get from it. Folks can say what they want, but NC is one of the most politically corrupt states in the nation.
wilmwolf
I wanted to add this, if for no other reason than to get that other abomination of a thread off the top of the board, however briefly. So much of bourbon talk revolves around the rare stuff, the unicorns. It's understandable, but I've been trying to steer folks towards things that are actually available, on the shelf, every day. One of those that I've been on lately is the regular 94 proof Elijah Craig. Their own limited bottlings are great, obviously there ECBP is a stalwart, and last year's EC18 was really great IMO, but the regular stuff doesn't get enough love. It is a well rounded, very drinkable product at a reasonable price. Proof is enough to keep some boldness in the flavor profile, spent enough time in the barrel to really pick up the flavors but not over oaked. It's a product that I used to buy regularly that fell off for whatever reason, but of late I've been coming back to it This week I've had a few glasses from a regular bottle and a store pick, and both are excellent. EC is one of many products always on the shelf that are fine bourbons, without the hassle of the chase, and I respect that they've been able to keep their product available, even if they did lose the age statement in the process.
Bell Tower Grey
I'm almost ashamed to say I've never knowingly tried Elijah Craig. However, the wife and I are taking a long weekend off beginning Friday morning through next Wednesday. I will be stopping at the abc store before we get to the beach house and picking up a bottle.

I appreciate reading your contributions and suggestions on this thread. Thank you.
wolfpack1437
Bell Tower Grey said:

I'm almost ashamed to say I've never knowingly tried Elijah Craig. However, the wife and I are taking a long weekend off beginning Friday morning through next Wednesday. I will be stopping at the abc store before we get to the beach house and picking up a bottle.

I appreciate reading your contributions and suggestions on this thread. Thank you.
If you can find it---and it's on the shelf in some parts of NC right now--- buy the Barrel Proof Elijah Craig. It will change your life. Seriously.
JocoPack
Picked up two bottles of Buffalo Trace today in Smithfield
Bell Tower Grey
wolfpack1437 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

If you can find it---and it's on the shelf in some parts of NC right now--- buy the Barrel Proof Elijah Craig. It will change your life. Seriously.
Didn't see this until after we got in. Got EC Small Batch. 94 proof. About to uncork it
wolfpack1437
Bell Tower Grey said:

wolfpack1437 said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Didn't see this until after we got in. Got EC Small Batch. 94 proof. About to uncork it
As Wilmwolf said, the regular EC is fantastic, you won't be disappointed. The barrel proof is an entirely different beast
JimmyVForever
If you're in or near VA, their ABC stores might still have the Elijiah Craig Barrel Proof around, especially in some of the less traveled stores. I picked up two bottles of the "A" batch this week in Roanoke.
wilmwolf
For fans of Henry McKenna BIB, which used to be one of the best kept secrets around, the buzz has intensified around it even more. I saw the other day that it won best bourbon at a spirits competition in SF this week, which I'm sure will only make it harder to find. For a long time it was readily available around these parts, and was one I would pick up if they didn't have anything else interesting, but that spot on the shelf has been empty the last few times I've been in the store. I would guess we'll either see a price increase on it, or it will become a unicorn, or both.
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

For fans of Henry McKenna BIB, which used to be one of the best kept secrets around, the buzz has intensified around it even more. I saw the other day that it won best bourbon at a spirits competition in SF this week, which I'm sure will only make it harder to find. For a long time it was readily available around these parts, and was one I would pick up if they didn't have anything else interesting, but that spot on the shelf has been empty the last few times I've been in the store. I would guess we'll either see a price increase on it, or it will become a unicorn, or both.
Really good bourbon for the price. Not much Heaven Hill makes that I don't enjoy. I've heard of people getting a bad barrel but it has never happened to me. The HM BIB is the perfect bottle to bring to a party or dinner invite-- quality bourbon, good proof, inexpensive enough that people can mix it without concern
wilmwolf
If you're in Wilmington and want to spend a lot of money today, the South college abc store has Whistle Pig 15,12, and 10 along with the latest Blood Oath.
vanuel
The Blood Oath Pact #4 was really good and I wish that I had bought two instead of one. It had the darker, savory flavors that I like. I'm having a hard time ponying up for a rum cask finished bourbon at over 100 dollars a bottle. Some of these finishes are way overdone. Angel's Envy Rye was just overwhelmed. Geez. A little goes a long ways on the rum casks.
wilmwolf
I don't personally like cask finishes. They aren't bad, just not my thing. I understand why it's popular. In a crowded market it is a way to stand out and also a way to justify a higher price for mostly sourced bourbon
wilmwolf
Today is National Bourbon Day. Not any different from any other Friday for me, but cool to have a day set aside for the national spirit.

I haven't been buying very much lately. I did pick up a bottle of Barrell Bourbon batch 017 recently. I hadn't had any of their stuff in a while, but saw some good things about this batch. It's a mix of Tennessee (Dickel), Indiana (MGP), and Kentucky (I think Heaven Hill) bourbons, all at least 10 years. It has the best nose of any bourbon I've had in a while, wonderful smell. It tastes very good as well. It's fun trying to pick out the notes from the different sources. At $80, it's probably not worth it, but that's the market we have right now.
JocoPack
Got two bottles of Buffalo Trace today in Smithfield. Just in time for the weekend
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
wilmwolf
Awesome! It's been my favorite for a long time. When things started to get crazy around it, I started buying it by the case and hoarding it, but after a while I realized I was part of the problem. These days, more often than not I tend to leave them on the shelf so someone else can enjoy.
JocoPack
You know I kinda felt bad getting two bottles today. I don't have cases or anything but I've got enough stocked up where I really didn't need any. I have all the folks that work the stores in the county call me when they get something in so I feel obligated to go get it or else they'll quit calling lol
Dunlow66
Just realized we had this thread

Picked up some Buffalo Trace and a bottle of Blanton's today

Found some Col EH Taylor Single Barrell last week.

Still love Eagle Rare and have a nice supply of that

Recommend Larceny to anyone who wants a nice sipping house bourbon that also mixes well.
JocoPack
Dunlow66 said:

Just realized we had this thread

Picked up some Buffalo Trace and a bottle of Blanton's today

Found some Col EH Taylor Single Barrell last week.

Still love Eagle Rare and have a nice supply of that

Recommend Larceny to anyone who wants a nice sipping house bourbon that also mixes well.
+1 on the Larceny. It's my go-to house bourbon. Where did you find the Blanton's at if I may ask? JoCo stores used to get some in when they got Trace but not recently.
wilmwolf
Massive fire at Jim Beam warehouses. Add that to the two recent warehouse collapses at other facilities, and it's been a rough year for bourbon.

https://abc11.com/fire-burns-jim-beam-warehouse-with-about-45000-barrels-of-bourbon-inside/5376455/
BigLefty24
Buffalo Trace

Everything else.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

wilmwolf
In continuation of my search for cheap or hidden gems in the bourbon world, I tried something tonight that I've seen on the bottom shelf forever and never thought twice about until I saw a positive review recently. Virgin 101 Bourbon, which is an awful name, and in a bottle looks like a Jack Daniels ripoff. It is made by Heaven Hill, and in a strange twist considering how many things aren't available here in NC, it is only available in NC and Alabama. In my researching, I can't find out why that is. The bourbon is around $14, and here's the neat part- it is age stated seven years and 101 proof. You are hard pressed to find age statements on many products these days, much less something that is on the bottom shelf in a screw top. I tried it several ways tonight, and it was pretty good. Some ethanol on the nose that faded into caramel. There's an alcohol burn on the palate that is stronger than I would expect at that proof. It tastes a little like Evan Williams, traditional bourbon notes, surprisingly little finish on the back end. With a melting ice cube, it mellows into a better mouth feel with more flavors coming out. I know people these days like higher proof, but I think this spirit would benefit by being knocked down to 94 like it's cousin Elijah Craig. I did not try it in cocktails tonight, but I think it would hold up quite well. When you take value into account, it is very hard to be disappointed in this bottle. It's not going to win any awards, but if someone gave you a glass of it, you probably wouldn't know it came from the bottom shelf. With so much stuff being so expensive and so rare, it is interesting to find something so cheap that is drinkable, and rare in a different way being something that isn't available in other areas. This is similar to the old Heaven Hill bottled in bond that was available only in Kentucky and cost under $10 (that they discontinued and are now reintroducing at $30+). Next time you are buying, lean down low and grab one off the bottom shelf and give it a try.
wilmwolf
And just like that, they drop the age statement. Well, I gave y'all a weeks notice. Try it before it goes away!

JocoPack
The past few trips I've purposefully gone to different stores in my area to find this but to no avail
Bell Tower Grey
I will be looking for this tomorrow in area shops. As for tonight, just opened a bottle of Woodford Reserve.

Wilm, what is your take on Ancient Age? I know it's a cheaper brand, but am hesitant to buy a bottle. Our neighborhood drunk when I was growing up had it as his drink of choice, however I've never tried AA in all my drinking years.
wilmwolf
I like Ancient Age and it's variants. Same mash bill that eventually becomes Blanton's, so it has good bones. Ancient Age and Ancient Ancient Age (triple A as the older folks call it) are both abundantly available, are good mixing bourbons, and aren't terrible straight. Ancient Age Ten Star is hard to come by, if they even make it anymore. To think, pre-boom it was actually Ten Year, at that price point! Every year I do bourbon infusions for Christmas gifts, and I use AA for those and everyone loves them. In the bottom shelf group, they are one of my favorites.

Old Charter was another good bottom shelf bottle from Buffalo Trace, but it's a ghost in NC for a long time, and they have recently "reintroduced" that name as a mid priced bourbon aged in different types of oak from traditional barrels. I'm not sure if the old school bottom shelf Old Charter even exists anymore.
Bell Tower Grey
Thanks for the info. I don't ever recall seeing AA Ten Star although I've never been looking for it. I guess I'll add that to the Heaven Hill project.

Past couple of weeks, primarily due to the heat, I've been on a vodka and gin, lighter drink kick. Couldn't help myself tonight though and had to open that bottle of Woodford.
ncsupack1
wilmwolf80 said:

I like Ancient Age and it's variants. Same mash bill that eventually becomes Blanton's, so it has good bones. Ancient Age and Ancient Ancient Age (triple A as the older folks call it) are both abundantly available, are good mixing bourbons, and aren't terrible straight. Ancient Age Ten Star is hard to come by, if they even make it anymore. To think, pre-boom it was actually Ten Year, at that price point! Every year I do bourbon infusions for Christmas gifts, and I use AA for those and everyone loves them. In the bottom shelf group, they are one of my favorites.

Old Charter was another good bottom shelf bottle from Buffalo Trace, but it's a ghost in NC for a long time, and they have recently "reintroduced" that name as a mid priced bourbon aged in different types of oak from traditional barrels. I'm not sure if the old school bottom shelf Old Charter even exists anymore.

That got me thinking, I haven't seen Buffalo Trace in some time, that's stuff is hard to get in the Garner area.
JocoPack
ncsupack1 said:

wilmwolf80 said:

That got me thinking, I haven't seen Buffalo Trace in some time, that's stuff is hard to get in the Garner area.

We've had the most of it I've seen in a while in Joco. Granted it doesn't stay on the shelf long. Try and be friendly with someone at your local store and see if they will call you when they get some in. That's how I get mine.
wilmwolf
Buffalo Trace and Blanton's are allocated in the state of NC and typically only go out once a quarter to stores, and in very limited quantities. If you aren't at the store the day they are delivered, you most likely won't get any. Finding out the delivery day for your store is step one. Trying to determine when in the quarter it will get delivered is step two, which is difficult becauset it happens seemingly at random across the state. When my Raleigh people see it, it may be two weeks before I see it here. Once you know those two things, you have to beat everyone else to the store, and you most likely have to ask for it at the counter, particularly Blanton's, because they won't put it on the shelf.
ncsupack1
^thanks guys....will have to do some digging..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.