All things Bourbon

284,509 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
wolfpack1437
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for the review on the Smooth Ambler, it has been on my list but at the price I have passed. Sounds like I have another to add to the list
wilmwolf
wolfpack1437 said:

Thanks for the review on the Smooth Ambler, it has been on my list but at the price I have passed. Sounds like I have another to add to the list

I've passed on it several times, and likely would have again had there been anything else that tickled my fancy. I think it has all the parts to be a great wheater, just not quite there yet. Very similar to Wyoming Whiskey. Got a bottle of that when it first came out and was not impressed, ended up giving it away. A friend got one of their more recent bottlings at it has improved. Can't rush good bourbon.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
wolfpack1437
^interesting that you mention WW. I picked up a bottle about a month ago bc I never see it and have enjoyed it. Have you tried the 1792 sweet wheat? I've yet to see it on the shelf
wilmwolf
I passed on a bottle of the sweet wheat last year around Christmas time and regretted it. I had gotten a text that there was some OWA at a local store and hurried to grab a bottle, and they had one bottle of the 1792 on an end cap. I looked at it, saw that it was different, read the name, tried to remember if I had read anything about it but couldn't remember so I sat it back down, figuring I'd try it later. Haven't seen any since.
wolfpack1437
Hah, I've had the same experience multiple times--- see something I vaguely recognize and then realize later that it was a gem. Strangely enough it has happened to me 2x with Parker's Heritage until I was reading some whiskey of the year reviews and realized what it was. Seems to usually happen this time of year when I am on the lookout for so many other annual releases
wolfpack1437
Informal Poll:

McKenna 10 BiB or Buffalo Trace? (Within a few dollars of each other these days)

Personally MK10 for me, I just love the strong cinnamon spice and additional proof
walstylez
I'm a Trace fan through and through. Smooth and inexpensive.
wolfpack1437
^I love BT and would choose Eagle Rare over the McKenna bc of the buttery wood note but the regular BT doesn't pack quite enough punch for me
wilmwolf
wolfpack1437 said:

Informal Poll:

McKenna 10 BiB or Buffalo Trace? (Within a few dollars of each other these days)

Personally MK10 for me, I just love the strong cinnamon spice and additional proof

McKenna is a damn fine bourbon, but if you told me I could drink nothing but Buffalo Trace for the rest of my life, I'd die happy. The BT flavor profile is my personal definition of what bourbon should taste like.
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

wolfpack1437 said:

Informal Poll:

McKenna is a damn fine bourbon, but if you told me I could drink nothing but Buffalo Trace for the rest of my life, I'd die happy. The BT flavor profile is my personal definition of what bourbon should taste like.
If you like BT that much I'm sure you feel like you have died and gone to heaven with the Stagg Jr (basically standard BT at barrel proof). That's one I love too but only after a couple weeks of oxidation.
I find that my tastes swing with the seasons. I prefer the higher rye mashbills or proof bourbons in the cooler months but prefer Makers and other wheaters in the warm months.
wilmwolf
Honestly, I'm not as big on barrel proof stuff. Once you get above 110 range, I'm adding water anyway, otherwise it's too much for my taste buds. Elmer Lee thought that the sweet spot for experiencing all of the nuances of flavors was actually down in the 70 range if I remember that story correctly. For me, Stagg Jr. holds up great in a cocktail, but it's a little hot for my tastes neat.
wolfpack1437
I remember seeing a similar interview with Elmer where he said he didn't understand how people could drink barrel proof. I actually really enjoy drinking the ones that punch you in the face, but I have to be in the right mood.
wilmwolf
Been thinking about my history with whiskey, and how that shaped my current palette. First taste was actually a "whisky", Dewar's that I poured from a bottle that was in the pantry when I was 14. I knew that people mixed alcohol with orange juice, so I mixed the Scotch with oj and boy was it awful. I actually only had one sip and poured the rest out. The next time I had whiskey was probably three years later in the form of a Jack and Coke at a party when I was a freshman at State. The first bottle of whiskey I can remember buying, well having someone buy for me, was Early Times. I didn't choose it, that is what could be bought with the money I gave the person buying it I suppose. Early Times and Food Lion cola tasted vaguely like Dr. Pepper for some reason. So for a time, Early times was what I requested. From there I became a drinker of Jack or Beam and cokes, interchanging the two without knowing the differences, and became somewhat known for bringing bottles of whiskey to whatever keg party I was at. It was seen as an oddity that I'd rather drink whiskey than pound beers. When college was over and we all got real jobs, my friends and I got heavy into Crown Royal. Funny, but I thought it was so expensive at the time. I drank enough crown and ginger ale to float a battleship. When I started making real money, and started being interested in drinking less quantity and more quality, I started looking for something that was a step up from crown. I started with all of their higher priced offerings, but one day someone suggested Blanton's. This was sometime around fifteen years ago, when you could walk in the store and Blanton's would just be sitting on the shelf for about fifty bucks. I was hooked, and started my journey of learning everything I could find about bourbon working my way up and down the price scale. Back then I bought a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle just sitting on a shelf, the old ugly short bottle with the long neck and plastic cap. Someone in the store said I should try it, so I did, without knowing anything about the brand yet, and before the obscene hysteria that we have now. At times, I devoted a disproportionate amount of time and money chasing, buying, and trying bourbon. I drink other types of whiskey on occasion, but I'm a bourbon guy. I guess I always have been, even before I knew what it was.
wolfpack1437
Great insight into your journey Wilmwolf! My journey was very similar except I started at State w/Ancient Age and Beam bc that's what the guy on the hall who was old enough to buy for us suggested. I went through a Jack Daniels faze after college bc it was what my grandfather drank and at some point about 12-15 years ago I switched to Makers with the occasional Blanton's for special occasions. After a trip on the Bourbon Trail several years ago with State's first game @Louisville my obsession with bourbon exploded. I've chased rare bottles and tastes ever since.
wilmwolf
Fans of the Weller line like myself know that it is hard to come by, at least in NC. The main reason for that of course is the association with Pappy, which is basically a barrel selection program of Weller bourbon (if you go to Buffalo Trace, they will point out that there are no barrels on the rack labeled "Pappy"). There's a guy named Blake who has run several bourbon based websites, bourbonhunt and bourbonr, who became internet famous several years ago with a recipe for "poor man's Pappy", which was basically mixing Old Weller Antique and Weller 12. Now, it's pretty silly to think that mixing two products that are both considered inferior to the goal will somehow magically be better together, but it became a really popular thing to do, and made Weller even harder to come by in the process. Recently, I saw on Twitter where he had a new recipe for "poor man's Pappy" since most folks couldn't find Weller. The new recipe is 2 parts barrel strength Makers and 1 part Larceny, mix and let sit for a week or two. Since I happened to have those two bourbons on hand, I mixed some up and put in a decanter. I just tried it last night, and it is a very good blend of wheater style bourbons. Not surprising, since both bourbons are good on their own. Does it taste like Pappy? No, sorry, but it does taste different that the source bourbons do separately. All in all, a fun diversion, nothing more.
wolfpack1437
^PMP is a good blend. It's better than its individual parts (which are both fantastic bourbons). The W12 gives you the roundness and wood notes, the 107 gives you the heat and a touch of spice.

I have yet to make the Larceny/Makers one you mentioned. Hadn't seen it before now. I think I'll do it Sunday and barrel it too (to add some wood to an otherwise young mixture).
wilmwolf
I gave thought to putting some in my mini barrel as well.
vanuel
If you like rye, the Noe Simple Task that was out recently is exceptional, IMO.
wolfpack1437
vanuel said:

If you like rye, the Noe Simple Task that was out recently is exceptional, IMO.

I picked this one up recently. Not cheap, but the fact it had some 40yr old whiskey in it sold me
vanuel
I noticed that the warehouse shows 200 cases of Lonerider's Sherry finished bourbon at $40 per bottle. Hopefully, it won't be as bad as Creekwater. One of you needs to take one for the team and report back to the rest of us. I would do it, but I already tried Creekwater. So no.
wilmwolf
Not a huge fan of cask finishes, so I'm out.
vanuel
wilmwolf80 said:

Not a huge fan of cask finishes, so I'm out.
Revival is the only one that I have had that the finish didn't completely take over the whole whiskey, and I only bought that one because it was Wild Turkey. I like that one a lot, but it's a buck fifty a bottle which is pretty steep.
vanuel
I'm pretty cynical about these craft breweries "distilling" whiskey. Seems like a gimmick to me.
wolfpack1437
I bought one a couple weeks back. Cameron Village has had them on the shelf consistently. Save your money--- much much better bottles on the shelf in that price range. Really sweet and young tasting. Very thin too
wilmwolf
Finally bit the bullet and bought a Little Book #2. I've passed on it several times, but they had a few bottles in the store so i decided it was time to go ahead and get one. Might crack it open tonight to watch the game, interested to see the influence of the 40 year old Canadian whiskey in there.
wilmwolf
It doesn't taste like anything I've ever had before. Still trying to decide if I like it. Really different whiskey.
wolfpack1437
Give us a full review when you get a chance. I bought a bottle about a month ago but haven't cracked it yet--- was thinking about making it my Thanksgiving bottle
wilmwolf
Had a couple of pours of it tonight. On first taste, there's this sharp, citrus like note that hits me on the back of the tongue. Maybe some grass and corn vapors on the nose in there, I presume from the eight year old bourbon. Spicy but relatively smooth finish. After sitting in the glass for a while, that 40 year old rye is front and center. Plenty of wood notes from the time in the barrel, typical Canadian rye taste, which I find in general to be less harsh and spicy than American rye (keeping in mind that I'm not really a rye fan). After airing out, I don't really get anything from the bourbon at all. It's a complex spirit, as I thought it would be given what it's made of. Both pours that first taste was something that was a little difficult to process because I don't have anything to compare it to really. I find it to be interesting, intriguing. Not necessarily something I want to drink all night, but not unpleasant.

Edit: After reading more carefully, I see that the 40 year old component of this is actually a Canadian whiskey made from corn, not rye. I think this is what is throwing my taste buds for a loop. My mind doesn't have any reference point for a corn whiskey that's been aged that long. That's the weird citrus or fresh flower thing that I can't quite describe accurately.
wolfpack1437
^Fantastic review Wilmwolf! Really helpful bc I don't want to bring something too complex and different to Thanksgiving-- not sure it's the right audience to appreciate it. I'll likely take a regular Booker's.

As for the corn whiskey, have you tried Mellow Corn? Obviously not aged as long as the one in the Little Book, but would be interesting to see if they share similar notes.

I also wonder if they found this old corn whiskey bc of the Canadian practice of mixing neutral or single grain aged spirits with their whiskey to create "Canadian Whiskey". Possibly corn whiskey made to mix with an aged rye
wilmwolf
I have a bottle of Mellow Corn on the shelf, but I haven't tried it yet. I did try the Balcones Baby Blue corn whiskey, and it had a raw, tequila like taste to it. That very well could be what I'm tasting in the Little Book.
wolfpack1437
The Mellow Corn is really sweet, but tasty. There's no mistaking it. Kind of like cooked corn with brown sugar on it. Hard to beat a Bottled in Bond whiskey for just over $12. If I remember correctly, it's aged in used Elijah Craig barrels
wilmwolf
Pretty sure that's what they said when I was at Heaven Hill last year, which is where I purchased my bottle from. I know a lot of bartenders like it in cocktails. I just have not gotten around to trying it, too many bottles in the shelf.
vanuel
wolfpack1437 said:

^Fantastic review Wilmwolf! Really helpful bc I don't want to bring something too complex and different to Thanksgiving-- not sure it's the right audience to appreciate it. I'll likely take a regular Booker's.

As for the corn whiskey, have you tried Mellow Corn? Obviously not aged as long as the one in the Little Book, but would be interesting to see if they share similar notes.

I also wonder if they found this old corn whiskey bc of the Canadian practice of mixing neutral or single grain aged spirits with their whiskey to create "Canadian Whiskey". Possibly corn whiskey made to mix with an aged rye
I ilked it enough that I bought a whole case of it, but it is not for everyone, and not one I would break out for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is at our house this year, so I'll put out a big spread, but the Buffalo Trace, Blanton's, and EHT are the only ones that will draw any interest.

I probably drink as much rye as I do bourbon and there are a lot of good ones out there.

Pikesville, Knob Creek Barrel Strength, Sazerac 6Y, Kentucky Owl, Masterson's, EH Taylor, Michter's US 1 are all very good in addition to the Noe Simple Task. Of course, the Noe Simple Task is a limited release and so it will go away at some point which is why I stocked up on it. Thomas Handy is very good but very hard to come by. Sazerac 18Y is damn near impossible. Not really a fan of Whistle Pig. I have but it has just never has grown on me. There are a crap ton of other ryes I have not tried that just can't get to right now. Way to many open bottles.

If I was going to introduce someone to rye, the Michter's, the EHT, and the Sazerac 6Y would be my first choices. Accessible and not too complicated. If you like spicy and peppery and high proof, Pikesville is your friend at 110 proof. Just a damn good rye that is always on the shelf. The Knob Creek is very good, but it is little hot for sure at 120 proof. Kentucky Owl and Masterson's are good but pricey and hard to come by. Masterson's has a flavor that some people would find off putting.
wilmwolf
Pretty much the only rye I keep around is the Saz 6 year and Rittenhouse. I enjoy the Rittenhouse in cocktails from time to time as a change of pace. It's barely a rye, 51 percent, which is probably why I like it more than most other rye. It is interesting to see rye becoming so popular. I selfishly hope it overtakes bourbon in popularity so availability of by favorite bourbons can maybe go back to what it used to be.
Lagniappe
Anyone try Geaoge T Stagg?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.