All things Bourbon

346,777 Views | 2308 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by wilmwolf
mdreid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wilmwolf said:

Booker's is mostly out of my price range these days. If I'm going to spend that much, I'll probably go with Elijah Craig barrel proof which is normally at least ~3 years older.
Bookers is 99 bucks everywhere i go, seems like it and Buffalo are starting to be more available.

Swung by a store in Greensboro(Pisgah Church Rd.) saturday and they had 6-7 Bookers and 8-10 Buffalo Traces)
but they had a Willet Rye so i grabbed it, first time ive ever seen Willet in NC
Hunt Golf
Burlington, NC
AlleyPack
Retirement gift... 126 proof!

wilmwolf
Congrats on retirement, and the bourbon!
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
Oldsouljer
wilmwolf said:

Second that! I'm maybe 36 months out, haven't a clue what I might receive, come the time.
ncsupack1
AlleyPack said:

Congrats!
barnburner
AlleyPack said:

Congrats Alley!!
TheStorm
wilmwolf said:

Yes indeed!

Damn wilm, I followed your lead the other day and picked up an EC Barrel Proof... got it home and saw it was smoking the meter at 130+ Proof!
wilmwolf
If it's the B batch from this year, it drinks below that proof. If I'm enjoying it in a casual setting, I typically give it a splash or two though.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
TheStorm
wilmwolf said:

If it's the B batch from this year, it drinks below that proof. If I'm enjoying it in a casual setting, I typically give it a splash or two though.
Yep. B524...
Oldsouljer
I've been swamped with work and family matter and completely out of hootch except a little Mellow Corn….finally made it to Youngsville tonight. When the store guy found out I was looking for Makers, he tried to steer me to cask. Since I dual-purpose my bourbon with marinades in mind, I thought the 55 proof would be a waste so I passed. But I brought home a liter of M46 compared to the 350 mL I picked up last time. That got me the stink eye from the missus but I told her that I bought three times as much as last time for only two times the price (almost true if not precisely accurate) and reminded her how much she loves my bourbon-honey-molasses grilled chicken (true). Told her I wouldn't need to go back to the ABC for a year (lie) or at least months (still lying).
Oldsouljer
Finished grilling pork chops with a red-apple infused olive oil marinade combined with bourbon. Relaxing after dinner with a shot glass of Makers to salute the memory of a heckuva Wolfpacker, fellow Granville county resident and arguably the most knowledgeable pest control expert in the old North State.

https://www.sossamonfuneralhome.com/obituary/9036444
Captain Chaos
We're heading to Wilmington in a few weeks and I'm looking for recommendations for good bourbon bars that might have a unique selection. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
wilmwolf
Front Street brewery has the largest selection around as far as I'm aware. Tons of rare things and barrel picks.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
Oldsouljer
Last time I was over to the ABC, I was eyeballing but didn't get, some Elijah Craig pure rye. Don't one or two of you drink that? What do you think?
curmudgeon.zen
Oldsouljer said:

Last time I was over to the ABC, I was eyeballing but didn't get, some Elijah Craig pure rye. Don't one or two of you drink that? What do you think?
EC Rye is ok at best. Fine for cocktails. If you plan to drink it neat or on a rock, I highly recommend paying a few dollars more to pick up a Michter's Rye. You won't be sorry.
Log off. Go outside.
Oldsouljer
curmudgeon.zen said:

Oldsouljer said:

EC Rye is ok at best. Fine for cocktails. If you plan to drink it neat or on a rock, I highly recommend paying a few dollars more to pick up a Michter's Rye. You won't be sorry.
Thanks, I'll look for it.
Captain Chaos
wilmwolf said:

Front Street brewery has the largest selection around as far as I'm aware. Tons of rare things and barrel picks.
Thanks!!!
SexualChocolate
I prefer Willet 4 yr Rye or Knob Creek 115 proof Rye for drinking neat. . For cocktails, I like Old Foresters Rye.

Went to EI today and stopped in Wilson and they had tons of Buffalo Trace. I bought one for a friend and bought the last bottle of Savage Wolves Vodka for tonight's game.
curmudgeon.zen

Pretty good haul over the last 24 hours...
Log off. Go outside.
wilmwolf
Very jealous of the Russell's.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
barnburner
Excellent!!
pluralitus
Some good drinking right there. I love RR15.

Always hoped I could stumble on an EH Single barrell or barrel proof. Only had the small batch.
Oldsouljer
Was pleased to see the Angus Barn has all varieties of Makers….had a nice whiskey sour tonight while waiting for the spouse to join me, as she had to come from home while I was already in RTP.
ncsupack1
Oldsouljer said:

Was pleased to see the Angus Barn has all varieties of Makers….had a nice whiskey sour tonight while waiting for the spouse to join me, as she had to come from home while I was already in RTP.

Love having a few drinks at Angus Barn. Great place.
Oldsouljer
ncsupack1 said:

Oldsouljer said:

Spouse wanted to celebrate that I was now eligible for social security, ha ha.
ncsupack1
Oldsouljer said:

ncsupack1 said:

Oldsouljer said:

Hey, nothing wrong with turning a page over. Congrats!
ncsupack1
PS, enjoy!
Oldsouljer
ncsupack1 said:

Oldsouljer said:

ncsupack1 said:

Oldsouljer said:

Hey, nothing wrong with turning a page over. Congrats!
Well, I think I'll stay in the workforce a bit longer until I see how financial Armageddon shakes out, but thanks.
TheStorm
Been picking up both an Eagle Rare and an Old Bardstown on back-to-back days in Onslow this week at their store in "The Ferry". Had Buffalo Trace sitting out on the shelf as well, so it appears that there has been a recent shift in policy of not hiding the stuff anymore.

First time I've been able to just grab ER or BT right off the shelf on the coast since around 2015 or so. Maybe Blanton's will be next?

Old Bardstown wasn't expensive, but first time I've ever seen it available around here, so I wanted to make sure to return the next day so that I could keep one and drink one. Going to be nice to have some ER around to consume again as well...
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

Been picking up both an Eagle Rare and an Old Bardstown on back-to-back days in Onslow this week at their store in "The Ferry". Had Buffalo Trace sitting out on the shelf as well, so it appears that there has been a recent shift in policy of not hiding the stuff anymore.

First time I've been able to just grab ER or BT right off the shelf on the coast since around 2015 or so. Maybe Blanton's will be next?

Old Bardstown wasn't expensive, but first time I've ever seen it available around here, so I wanted to make sure to return the next day so that I could keep one and drink one. Going to be nice to have some ER around to consume again as well...

Up in my part of the world, they hide Buffalo like it's gold.
wilmwolf
The scarcity of Buffalo Trace is one of the dumbest things in bourbon. It's supposed to be a flagship product, an every day drinker. It would be like having to stand in line to get Jim Beam white label or Wild Turkey 101. They continue to add more and more expressions every year, and yet in many states Buffalo Trace still gets treated like it's Blanton's, by both stores and customers. I say this as someone who is a fan of it, but I'm not going to wait in line or ask if it's behind the counter for a daily drinker. Some of the blame is on the distribution system in this country, some is on Buffalo Trace themselves, some is on stores for pushing it on people who come in looking for Blanton's, and some is on the people that hoard it.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
ncsupack1
wilmwolf said:

The scarcity of Buffalo Trace is one of the dumbest things in bourbon. It's supposed to be a flagship product, an every day drinker. It would be like having to stand in line to get Jim Beam white label or Wild Turkey 101. They continue to add more and more expressions every year, and yet in many states Buffalo Trace still gets treated like it's Blanton's, by both stores and customers. I say this as someone who is a fan of it, but I'm not going to wait in line or ask if it's behind the counter for a daily drinker. Some of the blame is on the distribution system in this country, some is on Buffalo Trace themselves, some is on stores for pushing it on people who come in looking for Blanton's, and some is on the people that hoard it.

Thank you for addressing this. I've never understood or given a answer as to why it's treated like this?
TheStorm
Picked up two bottles of Johnny Drum 101 Proof yesterday in coastal Onslow. Distilled by Willett, so I thought it similar to buying the two Old Bardstown's last week. (For some reason, I'm not expecting much though )

Either Willett is here to stay in NC - or the state just got one huge drop and when it's gone, it'll be a long time before we get anymore again. Will be interesting to see what happens going forward.
wilmwolf
Willett will continue to distribute to NC going forward. NC ABC is listed as an official distributor on their website. I'm not really a fan of most of their stuff, but I'd pick up a purple top if they get here.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.