All things Bourbon

283,919 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's a good son. My loved ones always say they don't want to buy me bourbon because they don't know what to get because I have so much. I tell them that there is no wrong answer, if you buy me bourbon, I will appreciate it. Even if it's from the bottom shelf, I'll find a use for it.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
barnburner
Just happened to pick up an IW Harper 15 yr today. I got the next to last bottle. First time I have seen one in over a year.
READ
Stumbled into a bottle of Elmer T Lee yesterday. I haven't found a bottle in almost 4 years.
Civilized
READ said:

Stumbled into a bottle of Elmer T Lee yesterday. I haven't found a bottle in almost 4 years.

Where did you find it?
wilmwolf
barnburner said:

Just happened to pick up an IW Harper 15 yr today. I got the next to last bottle. First time I have seen one in over a year.

People bag on this one because of the low proof and high price, but I think it's delicious. It has a flavor profile like a lot of the old dusty bourbons I've had from the 80s and 90s. Kinda earthy and funky, which I really enjoy.
barnburner
There are not a ton of 15 year olds out there and I enjoy the fuller flavors from time to time. There is no one best bourbon and for me it is the variety of having something different.
In fact; it's almost cocktail hour!!
wilmwolf
I've only ever had one bottle of ETL, and I was so disappointed in it that I've never really even looked for another. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, and I've had it many times at my buddies at it was always good, but I worked so hard to find that $40 bottle at retail and had such high expectations because of how hard it was to find, that I was disappointed that it didn't blow me away. Honestly, I've experienced that multiple times with hard to find bottles, and it's gotten me to the point that I don't even really want to hunt things anymore. You spend so much time, effort, and money on things, and you expect them to be amazing, and it's bound to be a let down.
wilmwolf
barnburner said:

There are not a ton of 15 year olds out there and I enjoy the fuller flavors from time to time. There is no one best bourbon and for me it is the variety of having something different.
In fact; it's almost cocktail hour!!

Exactly, these days when so many companies are pumping out 4-5-6 year old stuff, whenever I have an opportunity to buy or try something with 15 years in a barrel, I'm going to do it.
TheStorm
Picked up a Belle Meade Reserve 108.3 Proof in Onslow County yesterday... didn't know if that was considered a good score or not though.
wilmwolf
They're good. In the old days they used to have a lot of older MGP stock in the 10-12 year range which was excellent, but that's long gone, so it's younger stuff now. If you like high rye, high proof offerings, it definitely will do the trick.
wilmwolf
I'm on the Henry McKenna 10 tonight following the baseball win. If this were the only bourbon I had for the rest of my life, I wouldn't complain. It's a shame it got scarce and more expensive after winning a dumb award.
barnburner
TheStorm said:

Picked up a Belle Meade Reserve 108.3 Proof in Onslow County yesterday... didn't know if that was considered a good score or not though.
She's always one you can bring to the dance!
TheStorm
barnburner said:

TheStorm said:

She didn't last very long unfortunately. Might have to go back and look to see if her sister is available.

I got 2 nights out of her though.
SexualChocolate
Hard to get Woodford DO so I tried Noble Oak for half the price. It was OK and for $30 probably worth it but they use Sherry Barrels for aging. Just FYI.
SexualChocolate
TheStorm said:

barnburner said:

TheStorm said:

She didn't last very long unfortunately. Might have to go back and look to see if her sister is available.

I got 2 nights out of her though.

I really like that bottle and easy to find.
TheStorm
One of my local stores in southern Onslow has multiple bottles of both Old Elk's sitting on the shelf right now... I remember wilm80 speaking fondly of the "Wheated" version on here previously and it was very hard for me not to pick it up this afternoon.

Unfortunately, the wife was with me and I decided it would be better to go back when I'm "unencumbered".
wilmwolf
Wise move.
RvaWolf
I really enjoy the Old Elk Wheated Bourbon. The Wheated Whiskey is a little thinner, but also good. They are going to be putting out a limited release Double Wheated in the next couple of months that I believe will be a blend of both, but details haven't been released yet on exactly what "double Wheated" means.
TheStorm
Well, I went back and picked it up.

Was. Not. Cheap.

Sipping on it now. No ice.
wilmwolf
RvaWolf said:

I really enjoy the Old Elk Wheated Bourbon. The Wheated Whiskey is a little thinner, but also good. They are going to be putting out a limited release Double Wheated in the next couple of months that I believe will be a blend of both, but details haven't been released yet on exactly what "double Wheated" means.

I thought the wheat whiskey was just ok. I've tried a bunch of wheat whiskeys, and they always seem a little thin. Interested at the double wheated though, I'm sure I'll pick one up.
Sierrawolf
TheStorm said:

Well, I went back and picked it up.

Was. Not. Cheap.

Sipping on it now. No ice.

Sounds pretty neat.
TheStorm
Made me go look. The version I picked up is "Wheated Bourbon Straight Bourbon Whiskey" 92 Proof.
JumboPack
Hunted all over Atlanta the past month to put this together to donate to a charity auction next month.
Lagniappe
What's a couple of mid priced bourbon's for an amateur to start with?
AlleyPack
Lagniappe said:

If drinking neat, then I'd recommend Four Roses Small Batch... Larceny... Elijah Craig.
There are lots out there and tastes vary, but those are the ones (along with Eagle Rare) that I remember starting with, years back -- and I still enjoy them today.
TheStorm
Picked up a McAfee's Benchmark Old No. 8 (80 Proof) yesterday and since it had been a long time since I've last seen it around here, a Bulleit (90 Proof) as well.
wilmwolf
AlleyPack said:

Lagniappe said:

If drinking neat, then I'd recommend Four Roses Small Batch... Larceny... Elijah Craig.
There are lots out there and tastes vary, but those are the ones (along with Eagle Rare) that I remember starting with, years back -- and I still enjoy them today.

All good suggestions. It's hard to know what constitutes mid priced these days, but I'd throw in basil Hayden and wild turkey long branch. Two lower proof offerings that beginners seem to enjoy.
JumboPack
Now that it's spring, let's post some of our favorite bourbon drinks for spring and summer.

My favorite is a variation in what I think is a bourbon cherry bomb.

Your favorite mixing bourbon, frozen or fresh cherries, lemon juice, maple syrup on ice.

1. Add the cherries first.
2. Add two to three fingers of bourbon
3. Muddle
4. Add lemon juice. Two good squeezes.
5. Add maple syrup to taste
6. Stir and add ice.

Mormad
That looks great
wilmwolf
Interesting!
Bell Tower Grey
I'm sure it's a refreshing drink and I appreciate your post. Personally, I'm not a fan of infused bourbons, nor cherries, so that would be a hard pass for me.

I did just pour a 46 and open a jar of Weeping Mary's Ghost Pepper peanuts for a little pre-dinner snack.
JumboPack
No problem. Ghost pepper peanuts with a bourbon sounds like a good year round mix!
barnburner
Happen to be in NYC this weekend and found a bottle of Bakers.
barnburner
and also got a Knob Creek 15 year as well. Will probably be oaky but will enjoy a pour soon.
SexualChocolate
Interesting news from Belle Meade.

http://chasingneat.com/2022/03/27/belle-meade-bourbon-is-being-discontinued-from-national-markets/?fbclid=IwAR2F1AY5U6Tf5JrVfvx9j1mMtok9oOwcj1tJ-oN-e5eV_j3FckPDfkUwWq0

Might have to stash some bottles of Reserve.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.