All things Bourbon

283,941 Views | 2196 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by curmudgeon.zen
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lagniappe said:

Anyone try Geaoge T Stagg?

Yup. Haven't had this years version, but have had several of the previous years. It's a heavy hitter. It's a bit of a conundrum for me, as I'm a very big fan of Buffalo Trace's mash bill #1, but not a big fan of barrel proof bourbons. 1437 is your man on that front, and he probably has much more to offer on the GTS subject than I.
Wolfer79
Is there a recommendation that goes with Thanksgiving turkey?

Maybe one if you like your relatives you will spend the day with on Thursday and a recommendation if you do not like your relatives?
wilmwolf
Wolfer79 said:

Is there a recommendation that goes with Thanksgiving turkey?

Maybe one if you like your relatives you will spend the day with on Thursday and a recommendation if you do not like your relatives?

Umm, Wild Turkey? Seriously though, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, which is from Wild Turkey, is a nice bottle to share in the $50+ range and something you can definitely find. Next level down, Elijah Craig, Eagle Rare, or Henry McKenna bottled in Bond. All pretty different styles of bourbon, but all easy sippers, all easily available. I guess sticking with the bird theme, if it's someone you don't like, you can drop to the bottom shelf to Old Crow.
wolfpack1437
Lagniappe said:

Anyone try Geaoge T Stagg?

IMO it's the best non-wheated bourbon being made. Absolutely phenomenal. Each year's release is slightly different but they are always delicious. Uncut, unfiltered heaven in a bottle.

This year's is a lower proof at 124.9 which, for me, has made it almost too drinkable. I'm through 3/4 of a bottle just a few weeks since opening.

It's a NAS (non age stated) bourbon but is typically somewhere around 15 years old.

If you can find a bottle around retail ($99) or 2x retail-- buy it! They sell on the secondary market or in non-ABC states for ~$450.
wilmwolf
Bottled up this year's Christmas bourbon infusion this weekend. This year it's an apple pie kind of thing. I made a little more than half gallon in total, and bottled it in 200ml bottles to give to friends as part of my Christmas gifts. It is mostly Ancient Ancient Age, with the tail ends of a few other bottles tossed in. Add bourbon, around 4 cored and sliced apples (I used several types), a few cinnamon sticks, and about a cup of brown sugar. Let it sit in the container in a cool dark place (I just put it in the fridge) for as long as you want, I normally do a month. I dump it out through a wire mesh strainer and a coffee filter, but the resulting product is going to be a little cloudy. You basically have an apple flavored old fashioned cocktail. I always bottle it in glass bottles and make up fun labels. This year I made enough to have some myself, and I had a few glasses over ice last night and it was excellent.
PackFansXL
wilmwolf80 said:

Bottled up this year's Christmas bourbon infusion this weekend. This year it's an apple pie kind of thing. I made a little more than half gallon in total, and bottled it in 200ml bottles to give to friends as part of my Christmas gifts. It is mostly Ancient Ancient Age, with the tail ends of a few other bottles tossed in. Add bourbon, around 4 cored and sliced apples (I used several types), a few cinnamon sticks, and about a cup of brown sugar. Let it sit in the container in a cool dark place (I just put it in the fridge) for as long as you want, I normally do a month. I dump it out through a wire mesh strainer and a coffee filter, but the resulting product is going to be a little cloudy. You basically have an apple flavored old fashioned cocktail. I always bottle it in glass bottles and make up fun labels. This year I made enough to have some myself, and I had a few glasses over ice last night and it was excellent.
That sounds like fun. Nice gesture, ww80!
wolfpack1437
Sounds delicious Wilmwolf! I make bourboned cherries but never tried an infusion. Might steal your recipe this winter
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

Pretty much the only rye I keep around is the Saz 6 year and Rittenhouse. I enjoy the Rittenhouse in cocktails from time to time as a change of pace. It's barely a rye, 51 percent, which is probably why I like it more than most other rye. It is interesting to see rye becoming so popular. I selfishly hope it overtakes bourbon in popularity so availability of by favorite bourbons can maybe go back to what it used to be.

I agree with you Wilmwolf, I only keep a couple around. Bought a bottle of Dickel Rye (a 95% mgp rye) to try and just opened it a couple days ago. Just not the taste profile I'm looking for.

If anyone wants the remainder of the bottle (entire bottle less about 1.5 ounces) I'd happily part with it for $15 which is about half retail. Pick up in Raleigh.

I'll probably post the offer on TOS too.

ETA-- I'd also take a trade for an open bottle of something else that someone didn't enjoy -OR- a sample of a decent bottle
wilmwolf
If you live near Sunset Beach, they just got a shipment of Buffalo Trace in today. Won't be there long.
wilmwolf
Also 1792 Full Proof and a good selection at Ocean Isle.
southwolf
Up in Appleton, Wisconsin for business this last week. Went to a bar yesterday that had a bottle of Stagg and was charging $5.50 a pour! I had never had it before and needless to say I drank my full of it. Talk about a place not knowing what they have
wilmwolf
Nice find.
wolfpack1437
That's awesome southwolf! What did you think? Meet your expectations? Exceed them?
southwolf
Very good. I wish I was in a more sober state when I drank it so I could focus on the profile more but overall really enjoyed it. Just need to get my hands on a bottle of my own now....
wilmwolf
A friend asked today if I had ever tried any NC bourbon/whiskey, which led to me running down everything I've tried from the local section. Thought it would be good to post it here and see if anyone has tried anything else.

Asheville Blonde Whiskey- Made from local wheat. The worst liquor I've ever tasted. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt that it was a tainted bottle, but I'm not willing to buy another to confirm. I've never drank acetone, but I imagine the experience is the same. It is the only bottle of liquor I've ever bought that I poured out.

Heart of Mystic- Wheat heavy young bourbon, likely sourced from MGP in Indiana. Mystic uses it to make a bourbon liqueur product, but they sell 375 ml bottles of the base bourbon. It's a young spirit that shows promise of being good if it were aged enough. I believe it's only 18 months.

Old Nick Williams White Whiskey- Moonshine basically. Tastes like moonshine. Not much else to say. Ended up using it to make one of my fruit infusions, and it served that purpose.

Trey Herring's Carolina Bourbon- I did not know it prior to buying and trying it, but this one is made using a system called TerrePure that artificially ages the spirit to replicate time in the barrel. The aging is done by a company that is located down in SC (though I read they are moving to Kentucky), and anyone with enough money to buy their minimum order can basically create their own brand and make "bourbon". Trey Herring's looks like bourbon, smells like bourbon, and has some of the positive taste attributes I associate with bourbon. In the end, it was just, off, which led me look up who makes it and find out all the info I just shared about the artificial aging.

Southern Star- Sourced from MGP high rye recipe. Good if you like that recipe (this juice from MGP is basically what most every startup distillery uses these days). It's expensive for what it is, but that comes with the territory when the company is buying aged bourbon from somewhere. Perfectly good and drinkable bourbon, just probably not something I would buy again.

Cardinal Barrel Aged Gin- Obviously not bourbon, but gin that spends time in bourbon barrels. Good product, with an interesting taste if you are used to the typical gin profile. I've had other barrel aged gins that were better, but I wouldn't deter anyone from buying this one.
Wolfer79
Ok bourbon people

What kinds of bourbon are you giving as presents and do you have ranking of bourbon present based on the friendship?
NatePait94
I was gifted on Monday a bottle of larceny and you'll get no complaints out of me. It's not water lol.
southwolf
I travel a lot for the job so I usually try and gift brands I find on the road that aren't available or hard to find in North Carolina.

Just picked up a bottle of Old Ezra 7yr Barrel Strength in Minneapolis that I'm planning on gifting
walstylez
My boy in the 704 (I'm in the QC this weekend for a wedding) got me a Basil Hayden 10 year!!! I think he found it in Union County. I can't wait to try that!!
Go Pack! #GTHC #HTTR Born in the 336, live in the 919
Find me on Twitter @walstylez or search "SirWallyOfRaleigh"
wilmwolf
Wolfer79 said:

Ok bourbon people

What kinds of bourbon are you giving as presents and do you have ranking of bourbon present based on the friendship?
If I have a friend that's a good enough friend to get bourbon from me, there's not going to be any ranking involved. Either you get it or you don't.

With regards to what to give, that would depend on what is available wherever you live. I would consider the sweet spot for gifts to be $50-75. Of the things that are likely available on the shelf in NC, I would go with:

- Booker's. Already in a box, just needs a bow.
- Rusell's Reserve Single Barrell. Doesn't have the name recognition of some, but a very good bourbon in the mid-high price tier.
- Calumet Farms 12 year. I'll even expand this entry to include any 12 year old, age stated, distilled in Kentucky bourbon that's on the shelf. Really hard to go wrong there.
- Yellowstone Limited Edition. In a cardboard tube, just needs a bow.
- Elijah Craig Barrel Proof. Always a well thought of release, the latest of which should be in stores this week.
- Any of the products from Barrel. There is generally a bourbon release and their American whiskey release available in stores. They are blenders, so each release is different, but they are all generally well liked.
vanuel
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof has 3 releases per year, an A,B, and C batch. The C batch hit the warehouse back in September 3000 bottles strong and promptly disappeared like a fart in the wind, so that is not happening. The Elijah Craig small batch is on the shelf and by no means crap though.

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel is a crowd pleaser. Hard to go wrong there. 50-60 range. Easy pickup.

Bookers will run you 80 bucks but is fine ass whiskey in a box.

Henry McKenna Single Barrel took double gold in San Francisco this year and runs less than 40. No one will know that though.

Old Forester does not make a bad whiskey. Either the Statesman or the 1897 BIB would be my first choice. Both are around or less than 50.

I W Harper 15 Yr is a good one that is a little harder to find but available. 50ish, I think.

Knob Creek Single Barrel is a solid pick.

Personally, I would not do Woodford because it feels like I'm mailing it in.

My go to gift whiskey is Blanton's. Not that expensive, and people think you're a wizard when you come with Blanton's. Only problem is that you need to have a plan way before now unless you are or know a professional prowler. LOL.
wilmwolf
Some Raleigh area stores getting EH Taylor small batch today.
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

Some Raleigh area stores getting EH Taylor small batch today.
Thanks! Everyone else in the state should be getting them as well. Couple days ago there were 300 or so cases in the warehouse
wolfpack1437
I posted this on TOS but should go here too. Amazing deal on a great hard to find bottle. Only 6 days left and shipping was only $12 for 2 bottles to Wake County:

https://www.caskers.com/old-ezra-7-year-old-barrel-strength-straight-bourbon-whiskey/
wilmwolf
wolfpack1437 said:

I posted this on TOS but should go here too. Amazing deal on a great hard to find bottle. Only 6 days left and shipping was only $12 for 2 bottles to Wake County:

https://www.caskers.com/old-ezra-7-year-old-barrel-strength-straight-bourbon-whiskey/

That's a good deal. That bottle seems to have fallen into the category of poorly kept secrets now along with things like McKenna BIB. Hard to keep good bourbon at decent prices on the shelf.
FuzzyRed
wolfpack1437 said:

Is Caskers shipping to NC again? I had one order filled a couple of years ago, and then they started balking at shipping here.
wilmwolf
FuzzyRed said:

wolfpack1437 said:

Is Caskers shipping to NC again? I had one order filled a couple of years ago, and then they started balking at shipping here.

Depends on the supplier. As I understand it, caskers is more of just a marketplace type site, and individual retailers choose to ship to NC or not. Last thing I bought from there came from a retailer in NY according to the billing. Most of the sites that do ship to NC also sell beer and wine. Since it's legal to shop beer and wine here, but not liquor, those sites seem to be blissfully unaware, or purposefully ignore, those laws. The last time I bought and had it shipped here, there was a page with a disclaimer that it was up to me to know the laws of my state or some such. I've only ever had things shipped a few times, but I figure if anyone ever asked, I'd just say it was wine. It's definitely not legal by the letter of the law, though that doesn't seem to stop the secondary market guys either.
wolfpack1437
FuzzyRed said:

wolfpack1437 said:

Yes, at least for these.

Also, us first10s at checkout for $10 off
wolfpack1437
wilmwolf80 said:

wolfpack1437 said:

That's a good deal. That bottle seems to have fallen into the category of poorly kept secrets now along with things like McKenna BIB. Hard to keep good bourbon at decent prices on the shelf.
I got a couple bottles from the ABC store when they hit earlier this year and I think I paid 39.99 plus tax. Just got 2 more bottles shipped for $66 and change with the discount code. This is basically barrel strength Virgin Bourbon 7yr (which is one of the best deals in Bourbon......and I would guess going away like the Old Ezra 7yr 101 is)
vanuel
wolfpack1437 said:

FuzzyRed said:

wolfpack1437 said:

Yes, at least for these.

Also, us first10s at checkout for $10 off
That's good to know. I had written them off after being turned down a long time ago. Their Rye selection and pricing is actually quite good, although 400 bucks for Michter's Single Barrel Rye is crazy. I have had that one before. No way it is worth anywhere near that kind of coin.
wilmwolf
Buffalo Trace out in Wilmington today. Likely all gone before I finish typing this.
vanuel
wilmwolf80 said:

Buffalo Trace out in Wilmington today. Likely all gone before I finish typing this.
It's out in Durham County as well. Quite a bit of it out lately.
wilmwolf
My bourbon related gifts were smaller in number this year, I think that folks are hesitant to buy me things because they know how extensive my hoard is, but I was gifted a Woodford Master's Collection Oat Grain and an Elijah Craig 18. Haven't gotten into the Woodford yet, but I know the EC18 is delicious because I had already picked one up for myself earlier. I also gifted myself a ridiculously expensive bottle of Blanton's maple syrup that is aged in used Blanton's barrels. I plan on using it mostly to make cocktails, and I've already used it to make a delicious Old Fashioned on Christmas Eve using Blanton's Bourbon and Woodford Cherry Bitters.
JocoPack
Picked up two bottles of Buffalo Trace and a bottle of Blanton's today in Smithfield

Also received a bottle of Stagg for Christmas
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
NatePait94
You lucky dog

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.