All things Bourbon

286,758 Views | 2198 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by ncsupack1
AlleyPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheStorm said:

AlleyPack said:

TheStorm said:

AlleyPack said:

So... I acquired a used filing cabinet awhile back,

Hand me down at an office?

No idea, but at some point I'll open it and give it a sniff/taste.
I'm worried that the cork might break apart, because the bottle was laying on its side -- so the cork had been immersed in the liquid for quite some time.
If it DOESN'T break, though -- and if everything seems kosher -- then I might just pour everything into a decanter, and/or mix it into my Infinity bottles.

I meant the filing cabinet.

Yeah, I know -- sorry; I wasn't clear.
I don't know the exact origin of the filing cabinet, but it wasn't from a traditional "office" environment.
wilmwolf
AlleyPack said:

TheStorm said:

AlleyPack said:

I'm worried that the cork might break apart, because the bottle was laying on its side -- so the cork had been immersed in the liquid for quite some time.
If it DOESN'T break, though -- and if everything seems kosher -- then I might just pour everything into a decanter, and/or mix it into my Infinity bottles.

I've had decent luck on old bottles heating the neck a little bit with a lighter before removing the cork. Otherwise if it breaks I just push it down into the bottle and pour out the bourbon and then break up the cork inside the bottle with a skewer or letter opener into small enough pieces you can dump it out. With it stored on its side, there's a decent chance the liquid is skunked. Otherwise since it's been in the dark presumably since it was opened, it should be drinkable.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
AlleyPack
wilmwolf said:

AlleyPack said:

TheStorm said:

AlleyPack said:

I've had decent luck on old bottles heating the neck a little bit with a lighter before removing the cork. Otherwise if it breaks I just push it down into the bottle and pour out the bourbon and then break up the cork inside the bottle with a skewer or letter opener into small enough pieces you can dump it out. With it stored on its side, there's a decent chance the liquid is skunked. Otherwise since it's been in the dark presumably since it was opened, it should be drinkable.

It was definitely on its side, but it was also most definitely in the dark.
Will it be obvious if it's "skunked"? By smell, taste...? Or do I just need to drink some and see if I get sick?
wilmwolf
You might be able to tell by smell, typically it just tastes awful, like drinking an old shoe. Shouldn't have to worry about getting sick. The old ceramic decanters can have lead in them, but that bottle should be ok I would think.
curmudgeon.zen

Small score this morning. Nothing terribly rare or anything, but a couple I was looking for. Not sure on the Rebel, as I've never had one or even tried it before, but I figured, what the heck? It's a store pick...maybe it'll be good. Impulse buy. We shall see.
Log off. Go outside.
pluralitus
Got a call from the local shop that I was selected in a lottery to buy a bottle of Weller Full Proof and a Michters Toasted. Two bottles I've always wanted to try but haven't found yet. I'm excited to give them a taste!
ncsupack1
Vodka here. Some of ya'll have some good taste. lol
Oldsouljer
pluralitus said:

Got a call from the local shop that I was selected in a lottery to buy a bottle of Weller Full Proof and a Michters Toasted. Two bottles I've always wanted to try but haven't found yet. I'm excited to give them a taste!
Obviously, the odds in that lottery beat Powerball.
pack2010
curmudgeon.zen said:

Small score this morning. Nothing terribly rare or anything, but a couple I was looking for. Not sure on the Rebel, as I've never had one or even tried it before, but I figured, what the heck? It's a store pick...maybe it'll be good. Impulse buy. We shall see.

i've read that Ben Holladay is very tasty. Checked my local store and they have it in stock, might have to grab it this weekend
SexualChocolate
pluralitus said:

Of all the Toasted I've tried, Micheners Toasted(Yellow Label) is my favorite. WFP is also a good get as well. For a Full Proof, I thought it didn't taste like a high proof bourbon to me. Congratulations!
TheStorm
OK. One of my local stores here on the coast got their biggest mother lode drop in recent memory last Friday... I didn't score one of the unicorns, but starting as of last Friday I have scored the following bottles:

• Friday - OF 1924 ($120.00), I passed on an antique collection Stagg that was on the counter at the same time.
  • Saturday - Buffalo Trace (~$40.00)
  • Monday - Buffalo Trace (~$40.00)
  • Tuesday - Very Old Barton (~$17.00) *have one, but now I have a drinker (got it on my way down to Wilmington mid-morning)
  • Wednesday - going back for another BT if they still have them, which it sounds like they will...

And stopped at the Castle Hayne store today early afternoon on my way back home from Wilmington and scored an Elijah Craig Single Barrel, Private Barrel "NHC ABC Winter Edition 2023"... 9 Year... 114.6 Proof.
wilmwolf
Really want the Old Forester. There were quite a few Elijah Craig picks in the area of late. If you pop down to the 17th Street store or South college one, they have the one you have and another 9 year one. There was one before Christmas that was a 10 year. Of the two 9 years there's one I prefer, but can't remember if it's the one you got or the other one. These days I get more enjoyment from store picks than chasing the unicorns. Private picks aren't always good, but they're always different.
stuartmcarthur5
I know it's readily available but the Rabbit Hole Cavehill is fantastic and if you like a buttery kind of flavor it is great. Very smooth and great flavor
mdreid
Missed out on Gibsonvilles lottery where they had a bunch of EH Taylor blantons and weller that I could see, but I was able to snag a eagle rare that they had on the counter so that's a win
Hunt Golf
Burlington, NC
SexualChocolate
Finally able to score an OF 1924. Victory pour tonight!
TheStorm
One thing that I've figured out is that apparently not many people like the Sazerac products in the big picture of allocateds... as of yesterday, there were still multiple Sazerac allocateds still sitting there. On Friday, when I chose the OF 1924 over the Stagg antique, there was also the Thomas H. Handy antique (bottle styles were identical).

The clerk working on Friday said they received / sold 4 - Old Rip 10's and 2 - Old Rip 12's immediately out of the gate upon delivery, but they didn't get allocated any Pappy's this year... I assume that those probably get skimmed off the top at the State level and never make it to a county distribution center.
Kgar2121
wilmwolf said:

Really want the Old Forester. There were quite a few Elijah Craig picks in the area of late. If you pop down to the 17th Street store or South college one, they have the one you have and another 9 year one. There was one before Christmas that was a 10 year. Of the two 9 years there's one I prefer, but can't remember if it's the one you got or the other one. These days I get more enjoyment from store picks than chasing the unicorns. Private picks aren't always good, but they're always different.
Yeah, I have looked high and low for that Old Forester. If anyone runs across some, let us know!
TheStorm
Yeah, I loaded up on another BT yesterday, just since they still had it... that gives me 4-5 new "drinkers" now for when friends come over. Honestly, I don't personally prefer the Buffalo Trace taste to many of the others that are far easier to get, but a lot of people seem to get excited by it - I guess cause it's not really easy to get anymore.

Guy there yesterday told me that they'd still have all that Sazerac stuff from this drop at least until the middle of the summer. Said they have cases and cases of it, and it's all they have left from last Friday and no one is buying it.
statefan91
Had some Weller 107 and Angel's Envy the other night, enjoyed both but the Weller was really impressive
SexualChocolate
Kgar2121 said:

wilmwolf said:

Yeah, I have looked high and low for that Old Forester. If anyone runs across some, let us know!

If I get extras, I'll definitely hook both of you up!
SexualChocolate
statefan91 said:

Had some Weller 107 and Angel's Envy the other night, enjoyed both but the Weller was really impressive

One of my favs!
Kgar2121
SexualChocolate said:

Kgar2121 said:

wilmwolf said:

If I get extras, I'll definitely hook both of you up!
That'd be fantastic! Thanks!
barnburner
Hitting my Ezra Brooks cask strength tonight. This is a fine bourbon!!
curmudgeon.zen
Nice haul this morning. ECBP A124, Larceny A124, EC Toasted and a 1792 Full Proof. Nothing super rare or high end or anything, but hopeful they will all be good. Have an ECtoast and had all but abandoned it. Just wasn't my thing. Revisited it last night on a whim and man has that thing opened up. Much better than I remembered. Then I run across another one this morning, so....backed 'er up!! The other three I have other incarnations of, but the A124 batches and the full proof version of the 1792 are new for me. I may sleep through the super bowl.
Log off. Go outside.
curmudgeon.zen

Nice haul yesterday
Log off. Go outside.
barnburner
^very nice and congrats!
RvaWolf
Just listened to a podcast that had the owners of Oaklore Distilling out of Mathews on it. Anyone tried their stuff? Sounds like they are putting out their initial rye at 6 years and are just recently selling on Seelbach's.
Oldsouljer
Saw a lot of duty-free stuff a couple weeks ago in Cozumel, including off-the-wall as well as established makes. Among the latter, anyone here like Makers Mark?
barnburner
I like the Maker's 46 pretty good. I try to keep a bottle around. Pretty nice bourbon that is frequently on the shelf compared to others.
Oldsouljer
barnburner said:

I like the Maker's 46 pretty good. I try to keep a bottle around. Pretty nice bourbon that is frequently on the shelf compared to others.
Interesting, thanks. Their products in general have always appealed to me, just never tried their bourbon. I prolly ought to make more trips to those Caribbean ports of call, the selection is pretty good.
wilmwolf
Makers 46 should just be their flagship product, it's so much better to me than regular Makers.
curmudgeon.zen
Anybody seen the new batch of Penelope Rio yet? Hunting hard for that one.

Cracked the Bardstown Discovery 11 last weekend. Pricey bottle, but my goodness is it delicious. Highly, highly recommended.
Log off. Go outside.
Oldsouljer
curmudgeon.zen said:

Cracked the Bardstown Discovery 11 last weekend. Pricey bottle, but my goodness is it delicious. Highly, highly recommended.
What are we talking, price-wise?
curmudgeon.zen
Oldsouljer said:

curmudgeon.zen said:

What are we talking, price-wise?
$140

I rarely spend that much on a bottle...I do, however, have several $70ish bottles that I buy more or less regularly. I would trade two of any of those $70 bottles for one Disco 11 every day of the week, ten times out of ten. This is how I justify it to myself, convoluted though it may be.
Log off. Go outside.
TheStorm
Any reviews from anybody here on 1792 - 12 Year? It has made its way onto the shelves here in SE NC and I was somewhat curious about it. Thanks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.