All things Bourbon

280,301 Views | 2175 Replies | Last: 53 min ago by waynecountywolf
wilmwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just a place for general bourbon discussion. My personal collection is pushing around 70 bottles currently, which means I really need to drink more.
WolfieMcWolferson
70?! Bourbon doesn't last long enough around here to start a collection:-)

There are so many options when you go into the ABC store that I'd love to hear some suggestions. Overrated, underrated, best bourbon for your $, etc.
cowboypack02
I gave a bottle of Blantons to my brother to celebrate his little girl being born last year. Looking forward to another sip on it at her birthday party in a few weeks.

I picked that bottle up in Kentucky last spring and i'd love to get another one but i can't seem to find it here in NC
wilmwolf
WolfieMcWolferson said:

There are so many options when you go into the ABC store that I'd love to hear some suggestions. Overrated, underrated, best bourbon for your $, etc.

Many, many of the options on the shelves are from non-distiller producers. Most of that comes from a company called MGP in Indiana. There are some of those bourbons that are worth drinking, but many are under aged products rushed to the shelves to try and get a company started. I tend to stay away from the stuff with fanciful labels and exaggerated origin stories. Best value will depend on your preference, but there are many great bottles in the $20-30 range that fit the bill. My personal favorite in the range is Buffalo Trace, but it is hard to find in NC. Larceny, Eagle Rare, and Makers 46 are all ones that are commonly available that I enjoy.
wilmwolf
cowboypack02 said:

I gave a bottle of Blantons to my brother to celebrate his little girl being born last year. Looking forward to another sip on it at her birthday party in a few weeks.

I picked that bottle up in Kentucky last spring and i'd love to get another one but i can't seem to find it here in NC

Blanton's, along with the other allocated Buffalo Trace predicts, are delivered to the stores in NC once per quarter. What day that is will depend on the store. If you want it, I'd recommending developing a rapport with one of the employees and ask them every now and then. They can't hold it for you, but it will increase your chances. Also, it's fairly available in the states that border us, if you're up for a road trip. If you don't mind paying a premium price, and don't mind breaking the law, there are at least three or four websites that will ship to NC. I have gotten some of my hard to find bottles in this fashion.
Dunlow66
Dont drink much bourbon in the summer anymore, mainly beer, but I really like Larceny. Affordable, sweet(but not too sweet), available. It has become my house bourgon
PackFansXL
Blanton's is my all-time favorite.
Misterree
I like Larceny. Have a bottle right now.
I thought Few was good but a bit over priced.
I like Jefferson.
I tried some honey Bourbon (crown maybe). Ugh was it sweet. Too sweet to even sip.
I like Knob Creek but the smoky maple version was like drinking a pancake.
XxNCSUxX
Larceny is my favs.

I have a bottle of Breckinridge I need to open.
WolfieMcWolferson
WolfieMcWolferson
wilmwolf80 said:

WolfieMcWolferson said:

Many, many of the options on the shelves are from non-distiller producers. Most of that comes from a company called MGP in Indiana. There are some of those bourbons that are worth drinking, but many are under aged products rushed to the shelves to try and get a company started. I tend to stay away from the stuff with fanciful labels and exaggerated origin stories. Best value will depend on your preference, but there are many great bottles in the $20-30 range that fit the bill. My personal favorite in the range is Buffalo Trace, but it is hard to find in NC. Larceny, Eagle Rare, and Makers 46 are all ones that are commonly available that I enjoy.
Thanks!
PackFansXL
Misterree said:

I like Jefferson.
I tried some honey Bourbon (crown maybe). Ugh was it sweet. Too sweet to even sip.
Every maple flavored bourbon I've tried was exactly like you described, "drinking a pancake." Ughh!

I agree on Jefferson and regular Knob Creek.

Based on the recommendations of a Spec's employee, I bought Eagle Rare as my first ever bourbon bottle purchase. Still like that one too.
ProtoWolf
I like beer
caribbeansoul
If anyone finds themselves in Lexington, KY, you should check out Town Branch distillery. It's a small operation but they have several good offerings...some of them you can only get at the distillery.
XxNCSUxX
caribbeansoul said:

If anyone finds themselves in Lexington, KY, you should check out Town Branch distillery. It's a small operation but they have several good offerings...some of them you can only get at the distillery.
wilmwolf and I will be stopping in Kentucky on the way to the Notre Dame game. Some bourbons will be sampled.
wilmwolf
XxNCSUxX said:

caribbeansoul said:

wilmwolf and I will be stopping in Kentucky on the way to the Notre Dame game. Some bourbons will be sampled.

Yes, yes they will.
Dunlow66
PackFansXL said:

Misterree said:

I like Jefferson.
Every maple flavored bourbon I've tried was exactly like you described, "drinking a pancake." Ughh!

I agree on Jefferson and regular Knob Creek.

Based on the recommendations of a Spec's employee, I bought Eagle Rare as my first ever bourbon bottle purchase. Still like that one too.
Eagle Rare is very good. So is Four Roses Small Batch.

Both Maple and Honey flavored Bourbons are way over the top for me. I dont like them other than to maybe take one drink just to change my palate
Dunlow66
ProtoWolf said:

I like beer
We are NC State fans..........we all like beer.
cowboypack02
caribbeansoul said:

IF you go that far you should also travel a bit further north and check out Buffalo Trace in Frankfort. Out of all the distilleries that I've been to up there its my favorite. Of course the view at the Wild Turkey distillery is one of the best I've ever seen in person
XxNCSUxX
cowboypack02 said:

caribbeansoul said:

IF you go that far you should also travel a bit further north and check out Buffalo Trace in Frankfort. Out of all the distilleries that I've been to up there its my favorite. Of course the view at the Wild Turkey distillery is one of the best I've ever seen in person
that's actually where we are going (Buffalo Trace)!
wufpak
XxNCSUxX said:

cowboypack02 said:

caribbeansoul said:

that's actually where we are going (Buffalo Trace)!
Did the Bourbon Trail a few years back they were all good but IMO Makers and Woodford were the best.
The government’s view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:  If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
XxNCSUxX
Unfortunately we will only have a few hours.
PackBacker81
I'm more of a Maker's Mark guy... I like it so haven't seen a need to experiment with others. Although I have had Eagle Rare and enjoyed it.
Dunlow66
PackBacker81 said:

I'm more of a Maker's Mark guy... I like it so haven't seen a need to experiment with others. Although I have had Eagle Rare and enjoyed it.
I used to love Maker's...but for some reason I now find it too sweet. If you have never tried Larceny, give it shot or two and see what you think. Won me over.
wilmwolf
Probably like a lot of folks, my first time drinking "nice" bourbon was Makers. A friend brought some by in college. Before that, it had been just Beam or Jack, or something even cheaper. I find Makers to be a good fall back, because it's something you can pretty much get at any store or bar. I prefer the Makers 46 to the regular, and there's a bottle of it on my shelves among all the others currently, though it's not my first choice to drink.
Sierrawolf
Dunlow66 said:

PackBacker81 said:

I used to love Maker's...but for some reason I now find it too sweet. If you have never tried Larceny, give it shot or two and see what you think. Won me over.
Larceny is the one of the only other wheated bourbons that is widely available in NC. Should be the closest thing to Maker's. I find that it has a little bit more 'bite' that Maker's, which is a good thing.
Misterree
Had anyone tried rye whiskeys?
I was up in Roanoke and they had a bourbon bar. I tried a bunch and one of my favorites was a rye.
I think I will get one next time.
wilmwolf
Misterree said:

I was up in Roanoke and they had a bourbon bar. I tried a bunch and one of my favorites was a rye.
Rye has made a huge comeback, for reasons that are unknown. All of a sudden it's just hugely popular. Personally, I'm not a huge rye fan, though I'll have it in a Manhattan every now and then.
Radman
I like Larceny and Knob Creek. Haven't tried Buffalo Trace but will grab some next time I see it.

Not a big fan of Makers.
90packgrad
wilmwolf80 said:

Misterree said:

Rye has made a huge comeback, for reasons that are unknown. All of a sudden it's just hugely popular. Personally, I'm not a huge rye fan, though I'll have it in a Manhattan every now and then.
I'll happily drink yours. I prefer my bourbons to be a higher rye mashbill as well.
ncsupack1
Dunlow66 said:

ProtoWolf said:

I like beer
We are NC State fans..........we all like beer.
This! Got myself a few bottles of Buffalo Trace, not bad, the guy at the ABC store told me if I had it, I would never drink Jack again. Still love myself some Maker's tho.
wilmwolf
90packgrad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Misterree said:

I'll happily drink yours. I prefer my bourbons to be a higher rye mashbill as well.

I prefer wheaters. Only bottle of straight rye I have on the shelves is a bottle of Sazerac rye that I haven't gotten around to trying.
wilmwolf
90packgrad said:

wilmwolf80 said:

Misterree said:

I prefer wheaters. Only bottle of straight rye I have on the shelves is a bottle of Sazerac rye that I haven't gotten around to trying.
Bulldogwolf27
Bulleit is awesome and not expensive. Basil Hayden doesn't get enough love. That's a high quality product.
PackFansXL
Jaywolf27 said:

Bulleit is awesome and not expensive. Basil Hayden doesn't get enough love. That's a high quality product.
Thumbs up on both counts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.