All things Bourbon

346,790 Views | 2308 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by wilmwolf
pluralitus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well the bottle said it was aged at least 2 years. I just assume with that type of wording it's probably closer to 2 than 10...
ncsupack1
pluralitus said:

I havent tried it yet but will report back when I do.

10/4
Oldsouljer
pluralitus said:

Well the bottle said it was aged at least 2 years. I just assume with that type of wording it's probably closer to 2 than 10...
Couple months ago I was touring a tequila manufacturer in Cozumel and learned that the time/cost curve for that product is pretty much like whiskey. Anyway, I gotta admit, I've never even looked at the date marked on my two stock brands that I keep around for cooking or sipping which are Mellow Corn and Makers 46. The latter sure tastes like it was aged for a spell as smooth as it is.
wilmwolf
pluralitus said:

Labeling rules state that the age of the youngest whiskey in the blend is what is used for the age statement. It's possible it has some older in it, but I believe Bardstown has only been making their own product for 6-7 years or so. They made good whiskey, so I'm sure it's probably not bad, but high priced young whiskey is one of my pet peeves.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
pluralitus
pluralitus
ncsupack1 said:

pluralitus said:

10/4

Unfortunately it's very meh... overpriced, young bourbon in a gimmicky bottle. Just not a ton of flavor to report. Not terrible but not worth more than ~$30 imo.
ncsupack1
pluralitus said:

ncsupack1 said:

pluralitus said:

10/4

Unfortunately it's very meh... overpriced, young bourbon in a gimmicky bottle. Just not a ton of flavor to report. Not terrible but not worth more than ~$30 imo.
Well that sucks. Thanks for the honest review.
RvaWolf
Was able to pick up an Old Forester 1924 on Sat at the big drop in Virginia. It was on point with other OFs and I enjoyed it, just not sure with the $120+ price tag that I would seek another one out. Glad I got one to try, but overpriced in my opinion other than the FOMO factor.
wilmwolf
RvaWolf said:

Was able to pick up an Old Forester 1924 on Sat at the big drop in Virginia. It was on point with other OFs and I enjoyed it, just not sure with the $120+ price tag that I would seek another one out. Glad I got one to try, but overpriced in my opinion other than the FOMO factor.

Your last sentence sums up the bourbon experience for me of late.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
barnburner
Finally, finally, finally got a Bowman Single Barrel today
wilmwolf
barnburner said:

I'm about halfway through one. I've had many, but this is the first one I've gotten since people started paying attention to them. It's pretty good, but not as good as some I've had in the past.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
Oldsouljer
I now understand how the Bourbon thread got started….its a necessary liquid for anyone to be able to tolerate being on the Cooler.
barnburner
wilmwolf said:

barnburner said:

I'm about halfway through one. I've had many, but this is the first one I've gotten since people started paying attention to them. It's pretty good, but not as good as some I've had in the past.
Its been 3 years or so for me...
curmudgeon.zen
Started with my usual Ben Holladay 6 yr BiB. Working on a 1792 Full Proof at the moment. Cheers, Folks!!
Log off. Go outside.
wilmwolf
Elijah Craig toasted tonight. My second go round with a bottle of this one, and honestly, at almost twice the piece of regular Elijah, I can't recommend buying this one. It's not bad, but for ~$50, there's lots of other bottles I'd buy before another one of these.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
ncsupack1
wilmwolf said:

Elijah Craig toasted tonight. My second go round with a bottle of this one, and honestly, at almost twice the piece of regular Elijah, I can't recommend buying this one. It's not bad, but for ~$50, there's lots of other bottles I'd buy before another one of these.

I'm trying to expand my bourbon. Thanks for sharing.
TheStorm
Opened a 1792 - 12 Year (96.6 Proof) yesterday afternoon and really liked it. First time tasting that one for me.
TheStorm
Wife and I just got back from a casual 4 hour morning at the beach, and she just took her shower and is going down for her regular "nap" lol... I've just poured another 1792 and getting ready to see what sports are on...
ncsupack1
TheStorm said:

Wife and I just got back from a casual 4 hour morning at the beach, and she just took her shower and is going down for her regular "nap" lol... I've just poured another 1792 and getting ready to see what sports are on...
Cheers. 4 Roses here.
Packfan89
Y'all are so fancy..... Where's the love for a double shot of Old Crow?
curmudgeon.zen

Flew out the door like a kid chasing the ice cream truck when UPS pulled in the driveway with these...
Log off. Go outside.
ncsupack1
curmudgeon.zen said:

Flew out the door like a kid chasing the ice cream truck when UPS pulled in the driveway with these...

Let us know what you think? I've never had it.
RvaWolf
Nice mail day! I really enjoy the Holladay and have heard really good things about the Pursuit United. Enjoy!
pluralitus
curmudgeon.zen said:

I live in NC, but my company is based in Missouri and about 40 minutes from the distillery. On my next work trip, I'm hoping to sneak over there to check it out.
SexualChocolate
Never tried the Holladay b4 but hope to try it since everybody really enjoys it.
SexualChocolate
Widow Jane 12 yr Hoppy Endings Pick. I have a ton of bottles of really good bourbon but this is my favorite in my cabinet.
Captain Chaos
Picked up a bottle of the Holladay Soft Red Wheat BIB and it was very good.
wilmwolf
I also recently got a bottle of the Soft Red Wheat BIB. It is a good bourbon if you like things on the sweeter end of the spectrum. For a six year old product, it's priced a bit high for my tastes, but that's the bourbon industry these days. It's definitely the highest priced screw top I ever remember buying, lol.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
Oldsouljer
wilmwolf said:

I also recently got a bottle of the Soft Red Wheat BIB. It is a good bourbon if you like things on the sweeter end of the spectrum. For a six year old product, it's priced a bit high for my tastes, but that's the bourbon industry these days. It's definitely the highest priced screw top I ever remember buying, lol.
Sounds like it could be a great marinade addition for my bourbon-molasses rib marinade, which is still experimental by the way. I haven't quite perfected it yet.
pluralitus
Screw tops freak me out and I can't describe why.
wilmwolf
pluralitus said:

Lol. They might actually be a superior option to a cork in some ways, but when I'm paying $60 for a bottle, I just expect it to have a cork top.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
Oldsouljer
wilmwolf said:

pluralitus said:

Lol. They might actually be a superior option to a cork in some ways, but when I'm paying $60 for a bottle, I just expect it to have a cork top.
Yeah ya do! And a few extra touches like the poured wax that Maker's drops on theirs.
pluralitus
wilmwolf said:

pluralitus said:

I know the Weller SR are screw tops. Didnt Antique 107 used to also have a screw top?
wilmwolf
pluralitus said:

wilmwolf said:

pluralitus said:

I know the Weller SR are screw tops. Didnt Antique 107 used to also have a screw top?

Yup, the whole original Weller lineup were screw tops including the twelve year. The SR and 12 still are as far as I know. Of course screw top OWA used to be $25.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
READ
Speaking of tops. Has anyone ever had a cork explode off of the bottle? I bought a bottle of Noah's Mill this past Friday on my way to Hatteras. I left it in the truck on Saturday and when I got back from fishing the cork had popped with half of my bourbon soaked in the carpet. I guess it was too hot and caused the seal to break and release the pressure.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.