All things Bourbon

340,241 Views | 2302 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Oldsouljer
Oldsouljer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
READ said:

Speaking of tops. Has anyone ever had a cork explode off of the bottle? I bought a bottle of Noah's Mill this past Friday on my way to Hatteras. I left it in the truck on Saturday and when I got back from fishing the cork had popped with half of my bourbon soaked in the carpet. I guess it was too hot and caused the seal to break and release the pressure.
No but that's a helluva story. Thank heaven you weren't pulled over by a cop.
wilmwolf
Never happened to me but I know someone who had the same experience.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
Kgar2121
READ said:

Speaking of tops. Has anyone ever had a cork explode off of the bottle? I bought a bottle of Noah's Mill this past Friday on my way to Hatteras. I left it in the truck on Saturday and when I got back from fishing the cork had popped with half of my bourbon soaked in the carpet. I guess it was too hot and caused the seal to break and release the pressure.

Had the same thing happen with a bottle in my 2 week old truckā€¦ was crazy
READ
For some reason my mouth starts watering when I'm driving now
RvaWolf
Had that happen with a bottle of Heaven Hill 7year a couple of years ago on a trip to Florida. Top popped off, apparently bounced off the dash and ended up hidden under the passenger seat. couldn't figure out what happened for almost a full day before I found the cork. Thought someone broke in, drank some of my new bottle and then spilled it on the seat. Worst/best part was it was in a rental. 3 weeks after I returned the vehicle I got with with a $300 clearing fee to eliminate the "smoke" in the car. I called and explained I have never smoked in my life and that it was impossible for there to have been someone smoking in the car. They nicely waived the fee.
Captain Chaos
Willett Pot Still Reserve and Family estate 4yr Rye floating around Wake County this week. Was able to pick up one of each on different days. Looking forward to trying them.
TheStorm
Captain Chaos said:

Willett Pot Still Reserve and Family estate 4yr Rye floating around Wake County this week. Was able to pick up one of each on different days. Looking forward to trying them.
Willet hitting one of the coastal counties down here today. This week's shipment is for bars only... but that means that sometime in the next month they'll distribute to the stores for sale to the public as well.
TheStorm
Picked up a Booker's "The Beam House" Batch in Onslow on Tuesday... was on the regular shelf and I went up to the counter with 2 (one to drink, one to put up) and they would only let me get 1. Isn't even allocated, so I definitely didn't understand that, but I didn't want to argue and piss anyone off.
wilmwolf
Willet stuff went to stores in New Hanover county last week. Pot Still, Rye, Pure Kentucky, Rowans Creek, and Noah's Mill. Mostly at Wrightsville Beach and Pine Valley stores. I've had them all, so I didn't feel the need to grab any of them, but good to see them making their way into the state finally. Also saw that Traverse City Whiskey Co was finally in the area, I like a few of their expressions.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
WolfpackUSC
Got extremely lucky in Rolesville today. Been on a bourbon kick so I stopped by about 10 minutes before opening, and there were already 10 people in line or so. The allocated table was full of Willett, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Blantons and Blantons Gold.

Appeared a few of the gentlemen at the front of the line had their wives with them so they could further pillage the Blantons. I was lucky enough to grab the next to last bottle. Never had the stuff, minus an old fashioned, but excited to put it in the home bar when it's finished.

Cashier guy said they usually get Blantons once every month or so.
READ
PSA for leaving bourbon/wine in your truck...After asking around, it appears this is somewhat common with synthetic corks. Normal corks will let air out but the synthetic expands until it pops off.
barnburner
Just picked up a EC B524 Barrel Proof.. 11.6 years aged 130 proof.. Look forward to cracking this when the weather gets cooler..
BTW I got it at the Village District store and they still had 8-9 bottles left after getting it in on Friday.
pluralitus
Took a trip down to Kentucky to do some tours, tastings, etc. and turns out Heaven Hill is releasing their HH 18 year heritage tomorrow. It's $320, which is more than I'm willing to dish on a whiskey, but just curious what kind of mad house do you guys think that place will be tomorrow morning? Wrist bands are handed out at 7:30 am but I imagine those resellers are out for blood on releases like this...
ncsupack1
pluralitus said:

Took a trip down to Kentucky to do some tours, tastings, etc. and turns out Heaven Hill is releasing their HH 18 year heritage tomorrow. It's $320, which is more than I'm willing to dish on a whiskey, but just curious what kind of mad house do you guys think that place will be tomorrow morning? Wrist bands are handed out at 7:30 am but I imagine those resellers are out for blood on releases like this...
I keep trying to talk the wife into doing one of these tours. No luck so far.
wilmwolf
pluralitus said:

Based on my experiences it will be crazy.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
Oldsouljer
ncsupack1 said:

pluralitus said:

I got mine to tour a tequila maker. All you have to do is include a cruise for her.
ncsupack1
Oldsouljer said:

ncsupack1 said:

pluralitus said:

I got mine to tour a tequila maker. All you have to do is include a cruise for her.
I don't do cruises, but this is more than likely the best way to get her to go. I got some thinking to do.
pluralitus
wilmwolf said:

pluralitus said:

This an event that folks camp out for? We got adults in diapers out there?
pluralitus
It really is a lot of fun. Wasn't prepared for how far some of these distilleries are away from each other though!
ncsupack1
pluralitus said:

It really is a lot of fun. Wasn't prepared for how far some of these distilleries are away from each other though!
Thanks for sharing. I'll keep trying with the wife...lol
wilmwolf
pluralitus said:

wilmwolf said:

pluralitus said:

This an event that folks camp out for? We got adults in diapers out there?

Probably not that extreme, lol, but I wouldn't be totally surprised.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
TheStorm
Daughter's family is in visiting from Colorado for 10 days...

Son-in-Law and I got into the Bookers "The Beam House Batch" (2024-02) two nights ago, and he chose the Bakers 7 Year for us to open last night... Bookers "The Springfield Batch" (2024-01) is sitting out on deck for tonight.
pluralitus
Update from my trip to Kentucky: I'm broke.
ncsupack1
pluralitus said:

But did you have fun?
barnburner
TheStorm said:

Son-in-Law and I got into the Bookers "The Beam House Batch" (2024-02) two nights ago, and he chose the Bakers 7 Year for us to open last night... Bookers "The Springfield Batch" (2024-01) is sitting out on deck for tonight.
did you like one of the Bookers better than the other?
TheStorm
barnburner said:

TheStorm said:

I don't know yet, lol... before they leave, we're hopefully planning on opening bottles from the last five quarterly batches. I do seem to remember there was talk last year about "The Storyteller Batch" being good...
pluralitus
Had a blast!
ncsupack1
pluralitus said:

Had a blast!
That's all that matters my friend!
Oldsouljer
pluralitus said:

Whiskey is hard on the wallet.
TheStorm
TheStorm said:

barnburner said:

TheStorm said:

I don't know yet, lol... before they leave, we're hopefully planning on opening bottles from the last five quarterly batches. I do seem to remember there was talk last year about "The Storyteller Batch" being good...
Well, picked up a Willet Pot Still in Onslow Yesterday (so, now that gave me two)... saw they have the Rye also, so I'll probably snag one of those very next time in as I doubt I'll see that around here again anytime soon.

He opened the newer Pot Still bottle, a Jefferson's Ocean Single Barrel, Cask Strength (119.8 Proof) - this was a barrel the county won in a drawing - and the Bookers "The Springfield Batch" (2024-01) at various times yesterday / last night... I enjoyed some of the Pot Still with him but wasn't up when he got into the other two, lol.

I just carried down the Bookers "The Storyteller Batch" (2023-04) so that he's set up for tonight, and he asked me to leave the Jefferson's down there as well.

I was wrong about getting to try the last five batches of Bookers... I only have doubles of the last three batches, so the other two batches are going to remain unopened for now.
TheStorm
The Booker's "The Storyteller Batch" (2023-04) was exceptionally good and stood out head-to-head against the two 2024 batches. Even though it was higher proof than the others at 127.8 (v 124.5 & 124.6) it has a less overpowering presentation and a lot more delivery of the flavors.

2XO was another bottle that we got into, and I got to be honest, I was very unimpressed.

They are pulling back out here in another hour or two heading back to RDU and then flying to DEN.

Enjoyed opening seven new bottles during the visit and ending up with no less than half-a-bottle still left in any of them. Mission accomplished.
pluralitus
I cracked the "Mighty Fine Batch" tonight from 2023 and there's something about the Bookers profile that really hits home for me. I love it. I do hate that every year it seems to increase in price though.
wilmwolf
Booker's is mostly out of my price range these days. If I'm going to spend that much, I'll probably go with Elijah Craig barrel proof which is normally at least ~3 years older.
The Gatekeeper.
Homer Dumbarse.
barnburner
I think they have raised the price too high....as a result it's on the shelf in most all places. I too like those ECs and those were on the shelf yesterday.
Bookers is still one of my faves.
Skylitdrive
Picked these up from a bar in Chicago a few months back. Probably gonna try to hold on to these for a while.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.