ELECTION 2020

150,275 Views | 1778 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by SmaptyWolf
Cthepack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cthepack said:

So he is not going to assemble a task force? I understand he is going to as the first thing he needs to do. Pretty simple concept to understand.

He and Obama campaigned against trump on not using the playbook. Playbook again is typical government terminology. But Joe is not going to use the playbook. He is going to add waste and start over. Seems pretty counter intuitive to say there is a playbook, critique others for not using it, then do not use it yourself.
jadawson
Cthepack said:

So he is not going to assemble a task force? I understand he is going to as the first thing he needs to do. Pretty simple concept to understand.

He and Obama campaigned against trump on not using the playbook. Playbook again is a typical government terminology. But Joe is not going to use the playbook. He is going to add waste and start over. Seems pretty counter intuitive to say there is a playbook, critique others for not using it, then do not use it yourself.
the playbook is a government document. Do you think Biden just has it memorized? Do you think Trump is going to give it to him?

Even if he did have it, i'd imagine the playbook would involve utilizing government funds and government agencies to accomplish its goals, which Biden has no authority to control.

What do you expect him to do exactly?
Cthepack
jadawson said:

Cthepack said:

He and Obama campaigned against trump on not using the playbook. Playbook again is a typical government terminology. But Joe is not going to use the playbook. He is going to add waste and start over. Seems pretty counter intuitive to say there is a playbook, critique others for not using it, then do not use it yourself.
the playbook is a government document. Do you think Biden just has it memorized? Do you think Trump is going to give it to him?

Even if he did have it, i'd imagine the playbook would involve utilizing government funds and government agencies to accomplish its goals, which Biden has no authority to control.

What do you expect him to do exactly?

He said he is going to put a task force together first thing when he is sworn in. Easy to understand. You make comments about the topic and did not even understand fully what the playbook is/was. I hate waste. I hate that I pay taxes that go to waste. I see a guy that said he knows what to do. I see a guy now saying he needs a task force. Very easy to understand.
PackBacker07

Fitting end.
Y'all means ALL.
caryking
These folks on here are absolutely a joke. You have an answer for everything! Biden said you have to have a plan, assuming the president didn't. I don't give a rats ass who was President, these results were going to be the same, I bet. Based on the logic form one of you, it takes a logistics planning to implement.

What the heck is being implemented?
caryking
PackBacker07 said:

Fitting end.
Sam Stein is a hack!
Wolfblood
A few thoughts and things I'll be watching.

Will Biden actually raise taxes and increase regulations on small businesses even though many of them are struggling to survive the effects of covid?

Will Biden change the policies that Trump put in place that have made this country energy independent? Does he return to the energy policies of the past that left America reliant on the Middle East and inevitably paying higher fuel and electricity bills?

Speaking of the Middle East, will Biden continue the new approach of not starting any new wars there and continue fighting the Pentagon to finally bring these ridiculous endless wars to an end?

I hate to see the Trump economic, energy and foreign policies come to an end. For the first time in decades those policies focused on and benefited the American worker. After years of watching both parties sellout America it was nice to see.

Finally, how long will it be before the democrats pull the 25th amendment on Biden?

packgrad
Tobaccoroadsportscafe said:

Cthepack said:

Civilized said:

Cthepack said:

jadawson said:

Cthepack said:

jadawson said:

Cthepack said:

jadawson said:

Cthepack said:

jadawson said:

jkpackfan said:

And just like that, Covid is over

no just a bunch of dumb people. conflating the actions of a few thousand people with the calls of media/scientists/Biden campaign is very disingenuous.

Biden's first statement after several media outlets calling it for him was to say he's creating a Covid taskforce on Monday, but don't let that stop the Daily Caller though...

Why does he need a task force? More dem/ government waste.
because he thinks the government needs to do more about it, as he stated all campaign and in debates. If you disagree with him that's fine but this was expected. I was just bringing it up because the tweet seemed to suggest that now that the democrats have won the election that covid would be over as if it was only a campaign tool. That is clearly not true.
We also heard that Trump should have used the "playbook" that Joe and Obama left him. Is the playbook not good enough for Joe? Biden is either wasting money or does not have confidence in the playbook, which is it?
it's not a "playbook" it was an office with the National Secuirty Council office that was tasked with coordinating with the CDC on how to act if/when a pandemic took place. This was started by Bush in the 2000's as scientists were warning back then that humanity was due for another global pandemic. Obama continued the office during his term and Trump even continued it for the first year of his term. Then it was eliminated along with the CDC being defunded some in 2017/2018 leaving the government with nobody set up to respond to this type of thing.

They did leave documents and plans for the federal government, but Trump didn't use those either and they involved utilizing the offices that Trump eliminated
No. Obama specifically referenced a 70 page pandemic "playbook". Google it. But directly to your answer why would it take a task force to reinstate an "Office"? Waste already starting before he even takes office. If they knew what to do (as Joe and Obama have claimed) well just go and do it. Stop the typical government approach!!
well for starters he's not president yet....

He can't do anything until january. This taskforce isn't going to be able to do anything but plan until january because they have no official power. Do you not understand how election cycles work?

And there's no taxpayer money being spent because he's not president, how is it waste?
You think it is ok to create a task force when you have been saying there is a playbook and we know what to do? I think that is waste if it happens now or in Jan.

If you're planning to micromanage Biden's tenure to this degree you're gonna be exhausted in 4 years.
Not at all. What was the biggest topic Biden campaigned on? I say it was how trump handled the pandemic. Do you not agree? Funny how now the biggest point is he talked about is micro managing. Biden was the one that made it clear he required a task force now that he is president elect. As a candidate he had a play book and already knew what to do.

He is doing what he said he would do, and that's listen to the experts and science.

"and science". Lol. It's remarkable educated people still spout this nonsense.
jadawson
Wolfblood said:

Will Biden actually raise taxes and increase regulations on small businesses even though many of them are struggling to survive the effects of covid?

Will Biden change the policies that Trump put in place that have made this country energy independent? Does he return to the energy policies of the past that left America reliant on the Middle East and inevitably paying higher fuel and electricity bills?

Speaking of the Middle East, will Biden continue the new approach of not starting any new wars there and continue fighting the Pentagon to finally bring these ridiculous endless wars to an end?

I hate to see the Trump economic, energy and foreign policies come to an end. For the first time in decades those policies focused on and benefited the American worker. After years of watching both parties sellout America it was nice to see.

Finally, how long will it be before the democrats pull the 25th amendment on Biden?

I completely agree with the Energy point. Someone asked on policies i'd like to see Biden implement a page or two back and that was the first one i listed. I think the US should push more for green/renewable energy than for oil than we currently are, but energy independence (or as much is logistically possible) is a huge thing for me.

I somewhat agree on the foreign policy point as well. I don't want wars, particularly where the US isn't remotely involved (i.e. a regional dispute). I do want the US to remain active in the UN and to help negotiate things when necessary. we are a world leader and we shouldnt be isolationist. We should only commit troops to an engagement if we are directly attacked or an equally small amount as the rest of the UN if there is an atrocity committed that the UN deems necessary to get involved in.

Economic policy was hit or miss for me with trump but mostly due to tax cuts for the uber wealthy and huge corporations. Small businesses and families who aren't rich shouldn't be taxed out of their quality of life. I hope Biden holds to his pledge of only people making $400k (im not defining 400k as uber wealthy, its just the number Biden used. multi millionaires and up are the uber wealthy to me) or more per year seeing any sort of increase.

griff17matt
jadawson said:

Wolfblood said:

I completely agree with the Energy point. Someone asked on policies i'd like to see Biden implement a page or two back and that was the first one i listed. I think the US should push more for green/renewable energy than for oil than we currently are, but energy independence (or as much is logistically possible) is a huge thing for me.

I somewhat agree on the foreign policy point as well. I don't want wars, particularly where the US isn't remotely involved (i.e. a regional dispute). I do want the US to remain active in the UN and to help negotiate things when necessary. we are a world leader and we shouldnt be isolationist. We should only commit troops to an engagement if we are directly attacked or an equally small amount as the rest of the UN if there is an atrocity committed that the UN deems necessary to get involved in.

Economic policy was hit or miss for me with trump but mostly due to tax cuts for the uber wealthy and huge corporations. Small businesses and families who aren't rich shouldn't be taxed out of their quality of life. I hope Biden holds to his pledge of only people making $400k (im not defining 400k as uber wealthy, its just the number Biden used. multi millionaires and up are the uber wealthy to me) or more per year seeing any sort of increase.

The thing I really hate about the tax debate is the subtle undertone of the entire conversation. If it was said out loud, it would be something like...

Dems - I'm going to tax the wealthy in this country, everyone making over 400k is going to pay their fair share of taxes so we can fund useless social projects that should be state based but we really like grabbing power so we'll just spend and spend until you're completely dependent on us.
Pubs - <oprah_giveaway.gif> you get a tax cut! You get a tax cut! You get a tax cut! But we won't stop spending the same amount of money because those things get you reelected! National debt? Who cares? Here, take a tax cut.

WHY can we get no one in congress that understands how to reduce spending? I'd be fine with higher taxes for a bit if they reduced the budget by 25% and put that money plus taxes towards paying off the national debt. Both parties act like it's just an election slush fund and they can spend trillions on Medicare for all or more on defense spending than the next 10 populous countries combined.

Civilized
jadawson said:

Wolfblood said:

Completely agree with all this.

Whether any politician can follow through on campaign promises is always suspect, but there is clear tremendous opportunity to drive economic opportunity on scale, environmental sustainability, and energy independence with a focus on green energy development. Huge opportunity.
FlossyDFlynt
griff17matt said:

jadawson said:

Wolfblood said:

The thing I really hate about the tax debate is the subtle undertone of the entire conversation. If it was said out loud, it would be something like...

Dems - I'm going to tax the wealthy in this country, everyone making over 400k is going to pay their fair share of taxes so we can fund useless social projects that should be state based but we really like grabbing power so we'll just spend and spend until you're completely dependent on us.
Pubs - <oprah_giveaway.gif> you get a tax cut! You get a tax cut! You get a tax cut! But we won't stop spending the same amount of money because those things get you reelected! National debt? Who cares? Here, take a tax cut.

WHY can we get no one in congress that understands how to reduce spending? I'd be fine with higher taxes for a bit if they reduced the budget by 25% and put that money plus taxes towards paying off the national debt. Both parties act like it's just an election slush fund and they can spend trillions on Medicare for all or more on defense spending than the next 10 populous countries combined.

Ding ding ding. Not only do we have to figure a way to use revenue, but use it productively. Until the out of control spending gets reeled in and we stop lighting money on fire at every opportunity, I will be against any sort of tax/budget increase. Figure that out, then Ill listen to tax increase proposals seriously.
caryking
griff17matt said:

jadawson said:

Wolfblood said:

Just remember, this tax plan that was passed by the Republicans and signed into law by Trump did the following:

• More tax receipts in the Federal Government than ever before. That is a fact!
  • Tax receipts are NOT the problem. Spending is!
  • This tax plan helped private small businesses
  • It eliminated the tax deductions from State taxes. This is fair way to do it. If one State has high taxes, then they get a pass for there citizens being to able to deduct there potentially reckless tax system. Think about the States that have lower taxes. Why not just raise the taxes And provide more services because the people could just deduct them?
  • People of all economic position have realized more money in there pay checks. That is a fact!

Now, I don't like any of these politicians tax plans. if you want to have a reasonable tax conversation, let's do it...

• I think every person should pay something into the federal government, regardless of economic position
  • I don't believe in any tax deductions and/incentives for any person or business. This includes incentives for Children, Solar investments, Charitable givings and all the other incentives we do for any and all right offs.
  • Do you want to solve business contributions into elections? Stop taxing the business. Otherwise, we have taxation without representation. We fought a war on this.
  • The tax system has become a campaign talking point for both parties. Stop the madness! Simplify the tax system and make it flat; however, everyone needs to contribute.

We, as a country, are always fighting about the tax code. It's a huge divider! We have to quit fighting and the only way to do it is to simplify the code. If one person or group makes more money because of the breaks/blessings or whatever, just quit trying to micro manage the tax system to make you feel good.

The envy we show through statements: "pay your fair share" is old. The current Trump tax plan does NOT have everyone paying there fair share. Roughly 50% of the earners don't pay any federal taxes. How is that fair?
IseWolf22
jadawson said:

Cthepack said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

The same Republicans screaming at democrats after the 2016 election telling them to shut up because Trump won fair and square will be the same ones screaming at democrats that Biden isn't a legit president. The same democrats screaming at republicans saying Trump wasn't a legit candidate will be the same ones screaming at the Republicans that Biden won fair and square. And round and round and round we go.
In a nut shell why we will never get anything done. It is more about winning than to make improvements for the US citizens. Hate the two party system. Term limits are needed.
Just using 25 years as a cut off there are 4 republicans and 3 democrats than have been senators for over 25 years. Patrick Leahy from Vermont has been in the senate for 45 years.

In the house there are 10 democrats and 5 republicans that have been Reps for over 25 years. That's at least 12 different times being elected as a rep. Don Young from Alaska has been a rep for 47 years.

Term limits and (imo) age limits should be instituted. Don Young, Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Grassley are all 87. I don't mean to be ageist but i don't really want 87 year olds to be deciding the future of a country they likely won't be alive to be a part of.

4 terms for senate. Maybe 10 for house. Absolutely no reason it should be more than that. I'd argue for even less but 4/10 should be a minimum expectation.

Our government needs a lot of reform around process, both electoral and governing. Legislating in congress is completely broken.
Reform need to be non partisan and increase both fairness and government efficiency.
IseWolf22
Civilized said:

jadawson said:

Wolfblood said:

Whether any politician can follow through on campaign promises is always suspect, but there is clear tremendous opportunity to drive economic opportunity on scale, environmental sustainability, and energy independence with a focus on green energy development. Huge opportunity.

Any climate plan the doesn't have a major nuclear component is science denial. Nuclear and natural gas are the "Bridge" engery sources between current state and a primary renewable future.

The immediate priorty should be to eliminate the dirtiest coal plants and replace them with these bridge fuels. Renewables and battery technology is getting better every year and will slowly take over as it becomes the most efficient option.
GoPack2008
packgrad said:

GoPack2008 said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

PackBacker07 said:

Pennsylvania called for President-elect Biden. The race is OVER.
Not true. The media controls nothing. There are votes to be counted or discounted. lawsuits to be filed. No election has been certified yet. You know not of what you speak. The Republican led legislatures in Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina can vote how ever they want. If they feel that the vote was fraudulent then they can elect Trump. They send the electors to vote for President. It's in the Constitution, but I am sure you knew that.

Biden may ultimately win, but he has not won yet just because the media says so.

I should thank you. Dumbassery like this is why I have made a killing betting on this election.

Nobody believes you.

It's not hard. PredictIt still only has 92-8 for Biden to win the presidency.

Wanna bet that 8 is from hardcore Trump people who are in denial?
Civilized
IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

jadawson said:

Wolfblood said:

Any climate plan the doesn't have a major nuclear component is science denial. Nuclear and natural gas are the "Bridge" engery sources between current state and a primary renewable future.

The immediate priorty should be to eliminate the dirtiest coal plants and replace them with these bridge fuels. Renewables and battery technology is getting better every year and will slowly take over as it becomes the most efficient option.

Nuclear power plants rational but the public has outsize fears of disasters. From a regulatory standpoint it's essentially impossible to get new nuclear plants approved.
caryking
Civilized said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

jadawson said:

Wolfblood said:

Nuclear power plants rational but the public has outsize fears of disasters. From a regulatory standpoint it's essentially impossible to get new nuclear plants approved.

The perception kills Nuclear. We talk about the, coming to an end, of the world, if we don't have climate change bills. Shouldn't we start a movement that says: we are coming to an end for our energy, if we don't build more nuclear plants...

I mean come on; a narrative can get started about anything and then the whole world believes it.
Pacfanweb
IseWolf22 said:

jadawson said:

Cthepack said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

The same Republicans screaming at democrats after the 2016 election telling them to shut up because Trump won fair and square will be the same ones screaming at democrats that Biden isn't a legit president. The same democrats screaming at republicans saying Trump wasn't a legit candidate will be the same ones screaming at the Republicans that Biden won fair and square. And round and round and round we go.
In a nut shell why we will never get anything done. It is more about winning than to make improvements for the US citizens. Hate the two party system. Term limits are needed.
Just using 25 years as a cut off there are 4 republicans and 3 democrats than have been senators for over 25 years. Patrick Leahy from Vermont has been in the senate for 45 years.

In the house there are 10 democrats and 5 republicans that have been Reps for over 25 years. That's at least 12 different times being elected as a rep. Don Young from Alaska has been a rep for 47 years.

Term limits and (imo) age limits should be instituted. Don Young, Dianne Feinstein and Chuck Grassley are all 87. I don't mean to be ageist but i don't really want 87 year olds to be deciding the future of a country they likely won't be alive to be a part of.

4 terms for senate. Maybe 10 for house. Absolutely no reason it should be more than that. I'd argue for even less but 4/10 should be a minimum expectation.

Our government needs a lot of reform around process, both electoral and governing. Legislating in congress is completely broken.
Reform need to be non partisan and increase both fairness and government efficiency.
I'd go with 2 senate terms, max. I'd be okay with one. 6 years is enough, but I could understand people getting one reelection opportunity.
4 house terms if they're going to stay at 2 years. And you can't go straight from one to the other without 10 years off.
Politics should not be a career.
Term limits, and a lifetime ban on any lobbying jobs after you're done.

No more Pelosi's, McConnells, Reids, Tip ONeils, Bidens, Newts, etc. Turn it over at no longer than a decade, every decade.

And get some age limits, too. Biden is too old, turns 78 in about a week, IIRC. Pelosi is 80. McConnell is 78 and will be 79 in February. We're going to have a 78 year old President and an 80 year old Speaker and a 79 year old Senate leader.

That's ridiculous.
caryking
IseWolf22 said:

jadawson said:

Cthepack said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

Too many terms:

Senate - 2 terms
House - 6 terms

And, you can't move around and run again in another district.
caryking
Pacfanweb said:

IseWolf22 said:

jadawson said:

Cthepack said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

I'd go with 2 senate terms, max. I'd be okay with one. 6 years is enough, but I could understand people getting one reelection opportunity.
4 house terms if they're going to stay at 2 years. And you can't go straight from one to the other without 10 years off.
Politics should not be a career.
Term limits, and a lifetime ban on any lobbying jobs after you're done.

No more Pelosi's, McConnells, Reids, Tip ONeils, Bidens, Newts, etc. Turn it over at no longer than a decade, every decade.

And get some age limits, too. Biden is too old, turns 78 in about a week, IIRC. Pelosi is 80. McConnell is 78 and will be 79 in February. We're going to have a 78 year old President and an 80 year old Speaker and a 79 year old Senate leader.

That's ridiculous.

No need for an age limitation. Term limits will take of it. If somebody runs that's 110, then the voters wanted them. Term limits will stop career politicians.

While we are at it:

All laws passed by Congress subject congress to the law. No exemptions.

No retirement, pension, or anything that has a benefit after leaving congress. These knuckleheads keep expanding there own retirement.

I've said this before: Man can't help themselves! Man has a flawed core.
caryking
caryking
caryking
caryking
For all the people who think Republicans are crazy

PackBacker07
Yes, and I don't follow him. But what about where this speech took place is incorrect? Four Seasons Landscaping is next to an adult entertainment store and across the street from a crematorium. Who in their right mind would stage a national campaign speech there? It's sheer incompetence, and a fitting end to that administration.
Y'all means ALL.
PackBacker07
One interesting note I see here is "taxation without representation," which I agree on. This is why I firmly believe PR and DC should receive statehood - voting members and representatives in Congress. What are your thoughts there? Not to flame/troll, but am genuinely curious.
Y'all means ALL.
caryking
PackBacker07 said:

One interesting note I see here is "taxation without representation," which I agree on. This is why I firmly believe PR and DC should receive statehood - voting members and representatives in Congress. What are your thoughts there? Not to flame/troll, but am genuinely curious.
DC - it's clear the constitution calls out a place for the federal governments district. So, no to this one.
PR - mixed emotions on this one. Probably let it do it's own country like The Philippines and Guam (I believe Guam was under US control, right).
While we are at it - what about the US Virgin Islands?

I would be very comfortable letting all our territories go to be their own sovereign state/nation
caryking
PackBacker07 said:

Yes, and I don't follow him. But what about where this speech took place is incorrect? Four Seasons Landscaping is next to an adult entertainment store and across the street from a crematorium. Who in their right mind would stage a national campaign speech there? It's sheer incompetence, and a fitting end to that administration.
I think this is just another talking point... this is a private business that was honored to hold the presser...

Just go google the location. It is surrounded by a bunch of businesses. The adult store is not directly beside. I think this type communicated stuff really creates a false narrative and puts people in their corner and want to come out fighting.

Just STOP!
IseWolf22
Wolfblood said:

Trump has done pretty much nothing to reduce our entanglements in the Middle East. 5 of his 8 vetos relate to congress trying to limit action around Saudi Arabia and Yemen. Troop numbers barely budged under him and we've continued bombings in multiple countries.
Foreign entanglement were maybe the #1 thing I was hopeful about when he first took office but he completely failed to deliver
IseWolf22
Civilized said:

IseWolf22 said:

Civilized said:

jadawson said:

Wolfblood said:

The public is afraid of climate change too. If we want to be real about solving problems we need to be real about all of our options. France is a great example of what nuclear can accomplish. It's something we need to lean into now as the easiest transition from coal
IseWolf22
FlossyDFlynt said:

griff17matt said:

jadawson said:

Wolfblood said:

Ding ding ding. Not only do we have to figure a way to use revenue, but use it productively. Until the out of control spending gets reeled in and we stop lighting money on fire at every opportunity, I will be against any sort of tax/budget increase. Figure that out, then Ill listen to tax increase proposals seriously.

Politicians need to prove that they can run surpluses and pay down debt. When the economy is booming and tax revenue is rising, that is exactly when you should be running surpluses to pay down debt. If you actively do this, it gives the government much more leeway to deficit spend responsibly in a recession or crisis. Instead we run large deficits during a boom and giant ones during a bust.
IseWolf22
PackBacker07 said:

DC is even smaller than Rhode Island. It was specifically carved off to be the capital, not a state. I'd be fine with it joining Virginia or Maryland, but it doesn't make sense at it's own state.

Puerto Rico I don't have a problem with. But they need to actually want it. The most recent referendum has been one of the only times the population has indicated they want to be a state, and it was still relatively close. For me, show me support for statehood reach 60% and they are welcome. They would be an interesting swing state. They're slightly bluer than Florida, but not much
IseWolf22
caryking said:

PackBacker07 said:

I think this is just another talking point... this is a private business that was honored to hold the presser...

Just go google the location. It is surrounded by a bunch of businesses. The adult store is not directly beside. I think this type communicated stuff really creates a false narrative and puts people in their corner and want to come out fighting.

Just STOP!

First they tweeted out that the press conference would be at the Four Seasons. Then the hotel declined to let them have it there. They found 'Four Seasons Landscaping" afterwards as an attempt to save face.
Civilized
IseWolf22 said:

First they tweeted out that the press conference would be at the Four Seasons. Then the hotel declined to let them have it there. They found 'Four Seasons Landscaping" afterwards as an attempt to save face.

Is this true?

OMG if so.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.