Carolina Hurricanes

143,327 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by Wlfpk81
DrummerboyWolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Waddell was hired today by the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Being an N. C. State fan builds great character!
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Western Conference Final
Game 4, Rogers Place, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Announcers TNT/Max: Kenny Albert/Eddie Olczyk/Brian Boucher//Jackie Redmond//Sportsnet/CBC: Chris Cuthbert/Craig Simpson//Kyle Bukauskas
Dallas Stars at Edmonton Oilers TNT/Max/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 8:30 p.m. (Dallas leads series, 2-1)
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Eastern Conference Final
Game 5, Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
Announcers ESPN: Sean McDonough/Ray Ferraro//Emily Kaplan//Sportsnet/CBC: John Bartlett/Garry Galley//Shawn McKenzie
Florida Panthers at New York Rangers ESPN/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 8 p.m. (series tied 2-2)
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Western Conference Final
Game 5, American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX
Announcers TNT/Max: Kenny Albert/Eddie Olczyk/Brian Boucher//Jackie Redmond//Sportsnet/CBC: Chris Cuthbert/Craig Simpson//Kyle Bukauskas
Edmonton Oilers at Dallas Stars TNT/Max/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 8:30 p.m. (series tied 2-2)

Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Eastern Conference Final
Game 6, Amarant Bank Arena, Sunrise, FL
Announcers ABC: Sean McDonough/Ray Ferraro//Emily Kaplan//Sportsnet/CBC: John Bartlett/Garry Galley//Shawn McKenzie
New York Rangers at Florida Panthers ABC/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 8 p.m. (Florida leads series, 3-2)
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Western Conference Final
Game 6, Rogers Place, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Dallas Stars at Edmonton Oilers TNT/Max/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 8 p.m.
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Stanley Cup Final
Game 1, Amarant Bank Arena, Sunrise, FL
Announcers ABC: Sean McDonough/Ray Ferraro//Emily Kaplan//Sportsnet/CBC: Chris Cuthbert/Craig Simpson//Kyle Bukauskas
Edmonton Oilers at Florida Panthers ABC/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 8 p.m.
Wlfpk81
Bob was bob last night and hes going to be tough to beat this series. skinner really didn't face a whole bunch of shots and actually played pretty well. if florida goes up 2-0, this series might be over before it gets back to Edmonton. we've seen what it does to a team and watched it deplete all energy when bob gets on one of those heaters.
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Stanley Cup Final
Game 2, Amarant Bank Arena, Sunrise, FL
Announcers ABC: Sean McDonough/Ray Ferraro//Emily Kaplan//Sportsnet/CBC: Chris Cuthbert/Craig Simpson//Kyle Bukauskas
Edmonton Oilers at Florida Panthers ABC/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 8 p.m. (Florida leads series, 1-0)
Wlfpk81
some outlets reporting the canes are taking the easy way out and hiring tlusty. i will be really disappointed if that turns out to be true. dundon can't see that the game is already leaving this team with the way we're structured and if they were going to go in house, i was really hoping for williams since he understands the game.
FlossyDFlynt
Wlfpk81 said:

some outlets reporting the canes are taking the easy way out and hiring tlusty. i will be really disappointed if that turns out to be true. dundon can't see that the game is already leaving this team with the way we're structured and if they were going to go in house, i was really hoping for williams since he understands the game.
I respectfully disagree. Tulsky is the obvious choice. He was going to get a GM job at some point, and given how ingrained he is within the organization, I think this was the right move at the right time. He has played a big hand on shaping this roster and I am curious to see what he does moving forward.

Williams has only had an advisory role within the organization without a formal position. Tuslky has been in house for a decade. I like Justin but he needs to dive in head first if he ever wants the GM role
SportManagementEngineer
FlossyDFlynt said:

Wlfpk81 said:

I respectfully disagree. Tulsky is the obvious choice. He was going to get a GM job at some point, and given how ingrained he is within the organization, I think this was the right move at the right time. He has played a big hand on shaping this roster and I am curious to see what he does moving forward.

Williams has only had an advisory role within the organization without a formal position. Tuslky has been in house for a decade. I like Justin but he needs to dive in head first if he ever wants the GM role
The second Waddell left, I assumed Tulsky would be the guy.

This is a scary offseason for the Canes. A ton of UFAs & RFAs and you're losing your long time GM. Pivotal time for the organization.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Cornpack
SportManagementEngineer said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Wlfpk81 said:

The second Waddell left, I assumed Tulsky would be the guy.

This is a scary offseason for the Canes. A ton of UFAs & RFAs and you're losing your long time GM. Pivotal time for the organization.

Tulsky was the brain behind all the decisions, Waddell just made the phone calls. He deserves a shot because we wouldn't be here without him
Wlfpk81
FlossyDFlynt said:

Wlfpk81 said:

i get your point but this roster, as ET has helped shape, is at its ceiling. there is no question that he helped pull us out of the gutter but if there was another level to this plan, it would have been implemented already. if the other comment is right that this is essentially an ET built team and waddell was just the face then why would we continue with the same designer when its pretty obvious that changes need to be made. perhaps that statement is the difference? to win a cup, this roster needs multi-level changes and we need to get out of this mindset that making the playoffs and winning a series is success. the only thing that matters is winning the cup but i think other fans are ok with just being in the mix each year and having a chance. neither view is wrong, imo, i just think its the detail that differentiates how fans talk about the team. checkers or wreckers so to speak.
grantwolf
Wlfpk81 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Wlfpk81 said:

i get your point but this roster, as ET has helped shape, is at its ceiling. there is no question that he helped pull us out of the gutter but if there was another level to this plan, it would have been implemented already. if the other comment is right that this is essentially an ET built team and waddell was just the face then why would we continue with the same designer when its pretty obvious that changes need to be made. perhaps that statement is the difference? to win a cup, this roster needs multi-level changes and we need to get out of this mindset that making the playoffs and winning a series is success. the only thing that matters is winning the cup but i think other fans are ok with just being in the mix each year and having a chance. neither view is wrong, imo, i just think its the detail that differentiates how fans talk about the team. checkers or wreckers so to speak.
One can be disappointed that we haven't won a cup, while simultaneously being thrilled to be at the top of the league for several years now. It is NOT "obvious" that changes need to be made...but it doesn't matter, because changes are coming regardless.

My only hesitation with handing the reigns to Tulsky is his negotiation prowess, which is unknown. He's clearly an elite analytics guy and nearly always the smartest guy in the room, but there's more to being a GM than just identifying needs/value and managing the cap.
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
NHL Stanley Cup Final
Game 3, Rogers Place, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Announcers ABC: Sean McDonough/Ray Ferraro//Emily Kaplan//Sportsnet/CBC: Chris Cuthbert/Craig Simpson/Kyle Bukauskas
Florida Panthers at Edmonton Oilers ABC/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 8 p.m.
DrummerboyWolf
Hurricanes have re-signed Jalen Chatfield.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-re-sign-chatfield-to-three-year-contract
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
NHL Stanley Cup Final
Game 4, Rogers Place, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Florida Panthers at Edmonton Oilers ABC/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 8 p.m. (Florida leads series, 3-0)
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
Stanley Cup Final
Game 5, Amarant Bank Arena, Sunrise, FL
Edmonton Oilers at Florida Panthers ABC/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 8 p.m. (Florida leads series, 3-1)
grantwolf
DrummerboyWolf said:

Hurricanes have re-signed Jalen Chatfield.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-re-sign-chatfield-to-three-year-contract
Great signing. Yeah, it's a bridge deal, but pushes a big number out for 3 years and he's clearly a top 4 defenseman at this point.
DrummerboyWolf
It's official, Eric Tulsky has been named General Manager for the Canes.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-name-tulsky-permanent-general-manager
grantwolf
After watching that Tulsky press conference, OMG...how will that mousy dude play hardball with savvy agents?! Dude is literally on the spectrum.
FlossyDFlynt

This would be highway robbery. Hope its accurate
Cornpack
The two prior posts, taken back-to-back, are amusing
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
NHL Stanley Cup Final
Game 6, Rogers Place, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Florida Panthers at Edmonton Oilers ABC/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 8 p.m.
Wlfpk81
a week ago, i would have never guessed that we'd be getting ready for a game 7. play la bamba baby!
Wolfer79
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs
NHL Stanley Cup Final
Game 7, Amarant Bank Arena, Sunrise, FL
Edmonton Oilers at Florida Panthers ABC/Sportsnet/CBC/TVA Sports, 8 p.m. (series tied 3-3)
grantwolf
Cornpack said:

The two prior posts, taken back-to-back, are amusing
If the Slavin contract is true, it has more to do with Slavin being a team player and loving Raleigh than it would with Tulsky's negotiating savvy (IMHO).

I was also making that comment somewhat in jest. I actually know ET from youth hockey. I'm on record as being supportive of him as GM, even if I question his demeanor. I think if we didn't give him the promotion he was going to walk....and he's so valuable as an analytics guy, we couldn't let that happen.
Wolfer79
NHL
2024 NHL Entry Draft
Day 1, Sphere, Paradise, NV
Announcers ESPN: John Buccigross/Kevin Weekes/Emily Kaplan//Leah Hextall//Meghan Chayka
Round 1 ESPN/Sportsnet, 7 p.m.
Wolfer79
NHL
2024 NHL Entry Draft
Day 2, Sphere, Paradise, NV
Rounds 2-7 NHL Network/Sportsnet One, 11:30 a.m.
DrummerboyWolf
I finally saw my guy who had really close connections to Don Waddell. I have to be careful what I say here, but Waddell really wanted to stay with the Hurricanes. He was not forced to resign and was not going to be fired. Underlying conditions with the owner led to him leaving. There was also plenty of other lower level staff that left too.

Many people who become CEO's and form great companies are sometimes not the nicest people to work for. I will leave it at that.

As of the other day, Jarvis and Necas do not have contracts yet. Jarvis was given a qualifying offer. Not sure how long this can go on, but Canes will have a chance to match any offer to Jarvis if it gets to that point. Necas is going to salary arbitration. There is a possibility of him being traded, but the Canes will not just trade him to trade him. They will have to get a really good player.
Wlfpk81
with necas signed, that only leaves jarvis left to figure out. still dont know where necas slots but im assuming we give him a shot at center again to appease him. would be nice if he could figure it out and occupy the 2C spot b/c that would change our second line capability completely.
grantwolf
Rumors are something like 8x8 for Jarvy, which seems a little crazy.
Wlfpk81
grantwolf said:

wow. guess he could upgrade the volkswagen.
FlossyDFlynt
grantwolf said:

Id sign that today and would be thrilled if I was the Canes. It would mean a youngish core of Svech/Aho/Jarvis/Slavin locked in on good deals for a long time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.